• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Is Riddled With Poor Performance

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am hoping this is premature. It is a demo compiled weeks ago, available a few weeks before release. I don't have the time to test it and will wait for the release.

It seems to be a PC only issue because console players are reporting that it runs butter smooth. But yeah, I'm getting a very stutter-y 55fps on a 3090 on 4k/maxed settings which is unacceptable when the game isn't demanding at all. It's one of the worst looking Souls-likes to come out in the last decade so the fact that it runs so poorly is unacceptable.
The stuttering is a problem, but you really shouldn't expect to max everything on a 3090 at 4k and still get 60+ FPS.

What causes stutter, and why do I never seem to have this issue? Am I just picking the right games to play? I tend to game 4k 60FPS with Vsync. My GPUs have been 3090 to 4090 and my main HW has been X570 and fastish PCIE 4.0 drive from the time the chipset was launched in 2018 with a mild CPU upgrade from 3700 to 5900 in 2020.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems to be full of sword sponge enemies that kill you in two hits rather than anything with actual diffculty

Its a game about not getting hit cleanly. You're supposed to parry or block incoming attacks.

Took me a bit to get my head around how you're supposed to play, but its a very satisfying system to learn. I suspect the biggest barrier for many people is the way that the game encourages you to be hyper aggressive in attack, but be equally controlled in defence. Double tapping that parry button got me killed a ton of times on the tutorial boss, especially when he switches to a full-on string of heavy attacks putting me in panic mode.

I found the polearm pretty good because it forced me to slow down a bit.

Very fun, and I'm sold already. Playing on PS5 though so saw no performance issues to dampen my enthusiasm.

Arsic

This type of stuff is making me question sticking with PC as main platform.

Get a ps5 and a pc. Then when you get the console version of games locked at 30fps or smaller player base, etc etc you can play pc. When the pc version has issues then you play on ps5.

——

Has anyone determined if the gamepass pc version is the same as steam ? I’ve had no issues with it on my 3080 and wasn’t sure if somehow maybe the gamepass version was different and better ? Nier automata had this issue.

Playing on Xbox and it is working fine so far. Just got past the warthog boss fight. Tough game but still fun. Also, is it just me or is the game easier once you past the first boss?

Last edited:

Soltype

Playing on Series X, is the player animation updated lower than the rest of the world, every now and then when I'm running around , it seems like the playable character has a low frame rate almost like they didn't interpolate the animation frames correctly. Try holding down the block button and slowly rotating the analog stick and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Made a video, not sure how well it conveys it

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me why pc keeps getting really poor versions of games?

Especially as I assume Devs are making the games on pc's in the first place right?

It makes no sense to me.

Also I think Tecmo Koei need to consider using or making a new engine, it's holding their games back imo.

What makes you think devs are making games for PC in the 1st place? They're coded to the metal for consoles, then ported to PC with a lot of overhead and unoptimized due to so many hardware variations. Now that the gap between the PS5/Xbox and higher end PC's is closing, games will run more poorly

Last edited:

Rickyiez

The stuttering is a problem, but you really shouldn't expect to max everything on a 3090 at 4k and still get 60+ FPS.

Why not? There are so many ports out there that looks better and run close to 4k 90-100 FPS with 30series flagship

FF7R, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Forza 5 for example

anthony2690

Banned
What makes you think devs are making games for PC in the 1st place? They're coded to the metal for consoles, then ported to PC with a lot of overhead and unoptimized due to so many hardware variations. Now that the gap between the PS5/Xbox and higher end PC's is closing, games will run more poorly
I would assume they are developing and testing the game on pc intially?

I guess I'm wrong with this thought.

mckmas8808

Banned
It's pretty obvious that devs are really stretched thin trying to get these games put on time and have instead opted for a get it out, fix it later approach.

Ps5 seems to get the most love which is warranted due to potential sales I guess but I think developers are missing out on sales on other platforms as word of mouth is strong nowadays.

Absolutely no excuse for poor pc ports nowadays.

This is why I cannot understand for the life of me why people want Sony's first party games to come out day and date on both the PlayStation 5 and pc.

JakeWolf

welcome to PC gaming these days :(

Bought Far Cry Blood Dragon on Steam yesterday to relive the good old times from 2013 (I was in highschool and I 🏴‍☠️ the game back then), I nearly had a fucking stroke.

First of all, fuck Ubisoft Connect. I bought a singleplayer game, I do not need an online launcher for this singleplayer game.
Second of all, why is it always trying to connect to a service (and then failed) in a game without one? I had to download a workaround .dll file to bypass the connection.

So now I got the game working offline without all the connecting bs, guess what? It ran like shit on my 3060 & i7-12700
Turns out the game's engine wasn't made with multi thread CPU in mind so my 14 core CPU struggles to run this damn thing, so I have to turn off multiple cores in the affinity settings just to get the game running above 80fps. Even then it is still an extremely rough experience with random frame drop here and there.

TL;DR
I expect an early 2010s singleplayer game that runs at a solid locked 144fps on Very High settings like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger or Portal 2 did for me, what I got is a incompatible mess that requires you to turn off multiple CPU cores everytime you start the game and even then still barely playable at 70-90fps with occasional frame drops.

You know what? I'm glad I 🏴‍☠️ the game back in 2013, it's almost like I can see the future. Can't wait to see Ubisoft go under.

Last edited:
I would assume they are developing and testing the game on pc intially?

I guess I'm wrong with this thought.

The games are made with dev kits provided by the console maker. Here is the PS5 hardware developers use

ps5-development-kit.jpg

anthony2690

Banned
The games are made with dev kits provided by the console maker. Here is the PS5 hardware developers use

ps5-development-kit.jpg
Oh, so they create all the assets and stuff on the console?

I feel stupid then, I thought all this time they were using pcs.

And then porting over to Dev kits/console to makes sure it works/optimise for the unit.

Shows how little I know, it would seem 😁

Vick

Gold Member
Dead Space does. The same streaming stutter.
That's why I said "the same".
giphy.gif

Not really "the same" according to 4090 and 3080 users..

It’s pathetic on the PC, you get all excited to play and the atmosphere is incredible but then you’re stuttering every other second , it’s really that bad. There better be a patch soon.

Much better experience on PS5 no doubt about it especially with the Dualsense.
Just picked it up on my PS5. I got too annoyed at the stuttering on PC. It still has extremely slight stutters and the visuals are a bit softer, BUT in comparison it runs like an absolute dream and doesn't break my immersion. I'm happy with how this performs on console. Finally I get to just enjoy the damn game.

Patch 1.06 was supposed to fix things, and didn't.

Every new Update Thread on Reddit is plagued with tons of PC gamers complaining about the stuttering mess (as they should).

Are we supposed to be surprised? this is like every PC port/game.

If it's not stuttering/FPS drops its shimmering, grainy visuals (BF and COD suffer greatly from this), and inconsistent performance across everything.

The PS5 version runs great.
The PS5 version is a stutter fest, what are you on about? It's the worst running PS5 game I've ever played and it's heavily affecting my enjoyment.

Foilz

Banned
Yes the game does have some issues and I'm sure they will be ironed out but so did Hogwarts legacy. My god that game had so many bugs and glitches that completing quest turned into a nightmare.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Yeah, the PC performance for Wo Long is no joke. I can tolerate a lot but I haven't seen flickering, stuttering and weird lag that bad in a while.
I hope patches are planned as I'm enjoying the game a lot so it's a shame.

Last edited:

SCB3

So I tried the demo on Steam Deck and on my PC (Ryzen 5 2600x and 1060gb 6gb) and even on lower settings there is a weird stutter that happens and always during combat, its made me die more than once and the weird part is a stable 30fps happens aside from those stutters, it makes the game literally unplayable for me atm unless I go console

There was a lot of hype and expectation a few years ago with low level api, draw calls, improved IO, easy porting and so on. I recall the original Watch Dogs had a lot stutter between areas on PC and it seems not much has changed in the decade, there were even ideas to move away from Windows.

If given enough time and dedication you can can get versions that work well and scale better but there's still too much jank.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
giphy.gif

Not really "the same" according to 4090 and 3080 users..

Patch 1.06 was supposed to fix things, and didn't.

Every new Update Thread on Reddit is plagued with tons of PC gamers complaining about the stuttering mess (as they should).
Because here it is running like this:

So I don't need others reports about how it is running for them like you need...

Same with this game's demo....

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Has anyone determined if the gamepass pc version is the same as steam ? I’ve had no issues with it on my 3080 and wasn’t sure if somehow maybe the gamepass version was different and better ? Nier automata had this issue.

This is critically important because *if* it happens to be true then the finger of blame needs to point away from the game and instead towards either the publishing side or some aspects of system software like the .dlll's that the different releases are linked with.

Its a weird one if you think about it. You have the same game running on the same hardware but a different outcome based on the wrapper. Was one build delivered later than the other? And if so why weren't bugs found in the interim between the versions addressed via a day-0 patch to the other publisher?

Were they compiled or packaged with different DX12 library versions because MS own store gets earlier access to updates on their end, and that somehow has caused other issues either inherently with the game or some other applications to manifest?

The point I'm getting at, and why PC gamers should care about this, is that if these issues are happening because of differences in the publishing process, then barracking devs isn't going to change a damn thing, only the publishers/store-front proprietors can fix this.

Shader comp stutter sucks, I didn't experience it too badly in the demo (possibly because locked 60fps makes it less obvious) but it was definitely there.

Demo didn't click with me but that's probably me being dim so I'll give it another chance on the basis that Nioh was so good. (But maybe not until they add DLSS to the game)

Also lol at the console players desperate to own PCs. What's the render res of this game at 60fps on Playstation? 1080p? Maybe a bit above that? I remember Nioh on PS4 running at 720p and looking like a PS3 game lol these games do not run well on any platform. I'll take shader comp stutter over the "cataract roleplay" version of the game though

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They should just give a week's early access or a discount to people who are willing to upload their shader cache. Then allow a download of the shader cache to regular buyers - I bet you could cover 90%+ of PC configurations and settings that way and eliminate shader cache issues.

yamaci17

This is critically important because *if* it happens to be true then the finger of blame needs to point away from the game and instead towards either the publishing side or some aspects of system software like the .dlll's that the different releases are linked with.

Its a weird one if you think about it. You have the same game running on the same hardware but a different outcome based on the wrapper. Was one build delivered later than the other? And if so why weren't bugs found in the interim between the versions addressed via a day-0 patch to the other publisher?

Were they compiled or packaged with different DX12 library versions because MS own store gets earlier access to updates on their end, and that somehow has caused other issues either inherently with the game or some other applications to manifest?

The point I'm getting at, and why PC gamers should care about this, is that if these issues are happening because of differences in the publishing process, then barracking devs isn't going to change a damn thing, only the publishers/store-front proprietors can fix this.
i also play game pass version with a craptastic lowend ryzen 2700 and its locked 60 and smooth for me. most shaders were settled on first initial regions and now it is mostly a smooth sailing. im always half way down the game

M1987

I am hoping this is premature. It is a demo compiled weeks ago, available a few weeks before release. I don't have the time to test it and will wait for the release.

What causes stutter, and why do I never seem to have this issue? Am I just picking the right games to play? I tend to game 4k 60FPS with Vsync. My GPUs have been 3090 to 4090 and my main HW has been X570 and fastish PCIE 4.0 drive from the time the chipset was launched in 2018 with a mild CPU upgrade from 3700 to 5900 in 2020.
I'm on a 6800,get mostly 60fps max settings on Atomic Heart,and it looks a millions better,so a 3090 should be getting 120fps on this early PS4 looking game

Bojji

Devs that aren't very good with tech stuff should never even touch dx12 (or Vulcan?), Dx11 is meant for easy development and Nvidia/AMD can always fix performance in drivers (like they always did). Shader stutter is also almost non existent in dx11.

welshrat

Plays well on series x. Given me reason to dust it off and play it rather than the PC and PS5 that have all my time recently.

Shader comp stutter sucks, I didn't experience it too badly in the demo (possibly because locked 60fps makes it less obvious) but it was definitely there.

Demo didn't click with me but that's probably me being dim so I'll give it another chance on the basis that Nioh was so good. (But maybe not until they add DLSS to the game)

Also lol at the console players desperate to own PCs. What's the render res of this game at 60fps on Playstation? 1080p? Maybe a bit above that? I remember Nioh on PS4 running at 720p and looking like a PS3 game lol these games do not run well on any platform. I'll take shader comp stutter over the "cataract roleplay" version of the game though

PS5 version is 1440p at 60fps

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Finally getting a chance to play the game and yeah it is a TEAM NINJA game alright. Odd UI choices, borked settings, overuse of anti-aliasing. . .on top of the performance issues. I'm getting "60 FPS" but the game clearly needs a QC pass - though it is LEAGUES better than FF:SOP was at launch.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
It works well at 1440p 60fps on a 6700XT. Only issue the game has is that volumetric fog at standard or high setting keeps it from keeping the framerate when the game has a lot to process.

Last edited:
Top Bottom