• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | Review Thread

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
For those who think it's too hard to get 80 points: an old "research" of mine.

But I never thought that these guys would make a bad game. They took Dark Souls as an example and made Nioh. Now it looks like they were inspired heavily by Sekiro this time. Since I like Nioh and Sekiro, I think I'll like this one too. It will be one of the games I will play in March. How big are the pc performance problems though?

Btw, thanks again, Phil.

nowhat

s-l400.jpg

Dinatsy!!!
adolf-hitler-german-nazi-dice-animation-ylloksgptqm72u98.gif

Honestly after the amount of demos, I figured the game would be pretty good. It's just a shame the demo performance was so oof on PC. I'll definitely check this out on Game Pass though, assuming there are no PC performance woes. Even if I didn't find the combat loop THAT entertaining.
Most game now days get patched so I do expect performance improvement.

ungalo

Journalists are quite something. Some are saying it's one of the easiest Soulslike ever made and some are saying it's hardcore.

Hmm Lyin'cuckboy's YouTube review has really sold it to me. I'm gonna download it asap and try again with a fresh mind.

2023 keeps on delivering, Q1 has been crazy and we still got RE4 coming up. Team Ninja is dope, loved both Nioh games, had no doubts this would be great. Will probably pick this up once I'm done with Atomic Heart and Hogwarts 👌

j0hnnix

Gold Member
so i hadnt had time to finish the demo, can i still finish it up then jump on the main game.. wasnt there an award that carried over, if there isnt ill just jump on main game.

Thief1987

so i hadnt had time to finish the demo, can i still finish it up then jump on the main game.. wasnt there an award that carried over, if there isnt ill just jump on main game.
I think demo is available until March 25, so you should be able to finish it first.

Captn

Game runs great at 120.

4k Everything maxed out except volumetric fog quality set to standard.

If you set it to high it tanks the frames. Probably a bug or bad optimization.

No stuttering.. Super smooth..Gameplay is fast!

Nice little game.

P.s. If you change any graphic settings like texture details and so on. The game requires a reboot to take effect even though it does not tell you too.

7950x
32gb Ddr5

Last edited:

splattered

Ive seen all i need to with these review scores... i pay $15 per month for gamepass but don't care, i'm just gonna straight up buy the deluxe edition. Wish i had preordered it though damn.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ive seen all i need to with these review scores... i pay $15 per month for gamepass but don't care, i'm just gonna straight up buy the deluxe edition. Wish i had preordered it though damn.

Kinda feel the same way. Playing via gamepass seems like an instant win, but then I start thinking about the season pass content (which in every instance I've found TN to do a really good job at) and I'm more inclined to simply commit straight up-front on PS5*.

Definitely worth thinking about if you are on Xbox. If you end up liking the game a lot then you will very probably end up tempted to pay on-top of your sub at some point over the next 12 months.

*Basically because I only have Series S, and I'm used to playing TN's games using a PS pad.

Last edited:
Kinda feel the same way. Playing via gamepass seems like an instant win, but then I start thinking about the season pass content (which in every instance I've found TN to do a really good job at) and I'm more inclined to simply commit straight up-front on PS5*.

Definitely worth thinking about if you are on Xbox. If you end up liking the game a lot then you will very probably end up tempted to pay on-top of your sub at some point over the next 12 months.

*Basically because I only have Series S, and I'm used to playing TN's games using a PS pad.
When I was a young lad and I borrowed games off a friend I’d always be terrible at them. But if I liked a game and so bought a copy of it for myself I’d suddenly be way better and get into it more. For me, ownership switches something in my head.

I’ll still download this on GP but if I enjoy it just a little bit more than I did the demo I’ll stump up the cash.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good scores, i suck at souls games, should i even try it? (have Game Pass)

If you can beat the tutorial level's end-boss, you should have the fundamentals down.

Simple tip if you're struggling: Practice countering strikes while you're holding down block. You'll soon realize that not being perfect every time isn't a death sentence. And most of all, if you feel like you are getting frustrated by a boss bullying you repeatedly. Try turning the sound off! This lowers the intimidation factor and allows you to simply watch what the enemy is doing and what his timings are. If you can counter at least semi-reliably victory is in your grasp.

oji-san

Banned
If you can beat the tutorial level's end-boss, you should have the fundamentals down.

Simple tip if you're struggling: Practice countering strikes while you're holding down block. You'll soon realize that not being perfect every time isn't a death sentence. And most of all, if you feel like you are getting frustrated by a boss bullying you repeatedly. Try turning the sound off! This lowers the intimidation factor and allows you to simply watch what the enemy is doing and what his timings are. If you can counter at least semi-reliably victory is in your grasp.
Will try it after Atomic Heart, thank you. :)

GymWolf

The demo felt too much like nioh and reading about meh enemy variety reminded me of why i never liked the series that much other than for the great gameplay and some nice bosses.

Mine when it's 20 euros or less.

YukiOnna

Really looking forward to this. I hope it is as similar to Sekiro as everyone keeps saying, still FROM's best combat and TN's own take on it can be great. Regardless, I was in though.

Fools idol

Banned
Basically if you take Sekiro's world and Nioh's combat but then dumb down the combat depth significantly you get Wo Long.

I very rarely get games early these days so was delighted to receive it last week and sorely dissappointed I have to say.. It's the lesser game to both Sekiro and Nioh 1/2.

NT80

Basically if you take Sekiro's world and Nioh's combat but then dumb down the combat depth significantly you get Wo Long.

I very rarely get games early these days so was delighted to receive it last week and sorely dissappointed I have to say.. It's the lesser game to both Sekiro and Nioh 1/2.
That sounds really disappointing. IGN's review also mentioned a lack of enemy variety over a long game which was one of my bugbears about both Nioh's.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That sounds really disappointing. IGN's review also mentioned a lack of enemy variety over a long game which was one of my bugbears about both Nioh's.
I always mention enemy variety in those post demo surveys, but it’s kinda pointless to ask for more right? They’ve practically created everything at that point. It sucks, but if it keeps up the pace with its boss battles then it’s all good. My PS5 preload is ready to go.

Kusarigama

People need to stop calling it Team Ninja's Sekiro. Wo Long is just slightly less forgiving in deflect timing and has no ki pulsing for stamina recovery which makes it more friendly but it still has similar depth to Nioh. Demo was pretty good, although I was a bit underwhelmed by the graphical fidelity of the game. It is not bad by any means, just a bit improved over Nioh 2, Team Ninja's previous game.

ungalo

People need to stop calling it Team Ninja's Sekiro. Wo Long is just slightly less forgiving in deflect timing and has no ki pulsing for stamina recovery which makes it more friendly but it still has similar depth to Nioh. Demo was pretty good, although I was a bit underwhelmed by the graphical fidelity of the game. It is not bad by any means, just a bit improved over Nioh 2, Team Ninja's previous game.
I never played Nioh but Wo Long really revolves around parrying, like Sekiro. Even though it has other mechanics like spells and all that, it feels even simpler than Sekiro in its core gameplay.

ssringo

Just popped over to the Steam page at its at mostly negative. Something is fucked for the overseas PC gamers I guess.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I always mention enemy variety in those post demo surveys, but it’s kinda pointless to ask for more right? They’ve practically created everything at that point. It sucks, but if it keeps up the pace with its boss battles then it’s all good. My PS5 preload is ready to go.

Enemy variety tends to get solved during the season as they add a lot of new types in the dlc areas. Nioh I think even added types into the original campaign mission as part of non-paid dlc.

That being said I don't think these games are actually particularly lacking in variety by the standards of the genre, repetition just stands out more obviously due to these games being formatted as discrete levels and arenas, as opposed to an open world.

The Sekiro inspired gameplay is a big turn on. The excessive amount of loot is a big turn off.
The loot isn't really thst bad man once you understand how the rank system works.

You can get same item of different ranks, with 4 being the highest and that's kind of when you'd want to start upgrading using crafting mats.

I didn't craft anything until I got a rank 3 Sabre. Upgraded it twice and it was serving me very well and it doesn't take forever to find weapons. You can also farm bosses infinitely for crafting mats or just redo the levels and open up chests again for same mats that you need.

I didn't have any issues with keeping up with gear.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Bought a month of gamepass for 3 bucks, switched to NZ time and played a few hours.

Story and levels/atmosphere are as forgettable as it gets and the graphics aren't far from a late ps3 game but the combat is really fun despite being comparatively easy.

Do not buy this at full price! But if you have gp and don't absolutely hate this type of game: try it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom