• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | Review Thread

cireza

Banned
This game could've been great.... But the level design is so boring and repetitive that makes me wonder if they got some unmotivated unpaid intern to make them.

I love Nioh although the level design is really weak, it never affected my enjoyment of the game, but this game....

Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

The flooded city stage in particularly is atrocious. I am almost quitting it and I am thankful to game pass, otherwise I would have bought this game.

Such a pity, because the combat system is quite fun.
I found level-design to be fine honestly, I don't understand the complaints. There is nothing genius about it, but it is still interesting and elaborated, with branching paths, shortcuts. There are also some pretty good environments, like the prison or the shipwrecks.

Aion002

I found level-design to be fine honestly, I don't understand the complaints. There is nothing genius about it, but it is still interesting and elaborated, with branching paths, shortcuts. There are also some pretty good environments, like the prison or the shipwrecks.
It's too repetitive, basic, predictable and uninspired, plus combined with the lack of enemy variety, everything becomes even more tedious.

Some stages are indeed better, like you said the prison, the ships and also the mountain and the forest are fine too. However, these are the initial stages, where everything is new, after these stages there's basically no new enemies and everything is just more of the same on longer stages over and over...

I honestly enjoy more of the optional stages than the main ones, simply because they are shorter and get to the fun part faster, which is the combat.

Last edited:

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Final fucking boss is a nightmare. Lu Bu is a joke compared with this. I'm level 100 and I have all my weapons and armor at level 9 and he destroys me.

What're you exactly having trouble with? One major tip I can give you is that you should NOT try to parry his red grab attack, as it's a fake-out: you can't parry it. He'll grab you ever time so dodge it instead. (All his other red attacks you can parry.)

Here's my fight with him. (You can see me dodge his grab around 22 seconds in.)

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Made the mistake of trying to play this on my 3060 laptop, what a trash port I really feel bad for PC owners. Love it on Series X.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't beat Lu Bu, I always get his health down and he just spams me every time.
I give up.....for now.

I beaten the game but I won’t lie I used co op. Fun game, I wonder if the developers will publish both Nioh games to Xbox game pass.

Wo long was one of the most played games on game pass.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Finished it last night, the game is literally Nioh 2 spliced with Sekiro and that's not a bad thing though it's funny just how much it apes Sekiro, right down to a final battle on a moonlit field lol. Despite there being all these magic spells to unlock this is almost purely a melee game and all that stuff was mostly useless fluff. Used the roar that boosted defense, sometimes used lightning weapon, that's about it.

While there were some genuinely cool, standout battlefields the rest were indeed average at best and none of it was helped by the utter lack of enemy variety. One of the beautiful things about FROM games is entering a new area not knowing what to expect, each region bringing it's own, unique monstrous surprises by the handful. Here we're left with the same tiger, hedgehog, generic soldier, Medusa bitch from start to finish with few exceptions (stone and giant soldiers later in the game).

I loved the combat though, deflecting remained satisfying throughout, the "whiplash" sound effect upon spirit break was a fantastic choice, makes everything feel more kinetic and impactful. Weapon variety was alright, mostly found myself sticking to single or dual swords. Overall the loot felt kind of boring, Tiger armor set coolest looking one, Nioh definitely has the edge here, felt like that series had a lot more inspired sets, Samurai ftw.

Brings me to my final point, thought Nioh 2 was far superior as a total package from it's level design, to loot, to finding Kodama (vs panda demons) to bosses, to spirit animals etc. Almost wish that if we got a Nioh 3 it would take Wo Long's deflect/spirit mechanic, get rid of Ki and keep the rest (cue defenders of the Ki mechanic crying sacrilege, it's cool, relax). Don't want to sound down on the game because I sincerely dug it, just could have and should have been more, I'll leave it at that, no regrets buying it full price 👍

Last edited:

TonyK

What're you exactly having trouble with? One major tip I can give you is that you should NOT try to parry his red grab attack, as it's a fake-out: you can't parry it. He'll grab you ever time so dodge it instead. (All his other red attacks you can parry.)

Here's my fight with him. (You can see me dodge his grab around 22 seconds in.)
Oh, I always tried to parry the grab. I will try again at some point, but I must admit that final boss is too stressful for me :messenger_grinning_sweat: Even if I arrived to the end and finished Sekiro, I'm not very good doing parries, it's a game mechanic that stress me a lot.
Thanks for the tips!

mxbison

Think I'm getting towards the ending (Part 6, lvl ~85).

It has some flaws but overall I'm still enjoying it. Some parts are obviously budget or design decisions, but what I absolutely can't understand is the insane amount of useless loot. Does anyone actually enjoy selling/salvaging 40 items after every mission?

I know there are other games with trash loot but in those cases you atleast have some use for the money or materials. There is nothing cool to buy and I have enough jewel fragments for probably 3 more playthroughs.

Vblad88

From what I see issues with KT souls is same old, same old. I'm enjoying the formula now in Stranger of Paradise which has the same flaws, but with that sort of user feedback it would be impossible to hit the spot with the Rise of Ronin. Wo long itself is too button marshy for me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Think I'm getting towards the ending (Part 6, lvl ~85).

It has some flaws but overall I'm still enjoying it. Some parts are obviously budget or design decisions, but what I absolutely can't understand is the insane amount of useless loot. Does anyone actually enjoy selling/salvaging 40 items after every mission?

I know there are other games with trash loot but in those cases you atleast have some use for the money or materials. There is nothing cool to buy and I have enough jewel fragments for probably 3 more playthroughs.

The loot's heavily cut-down compared to Nioh, as is the complexity of build crafting, but you still should be maintaining multiple gear sets for different situations. To make those pieces you need both money and jewel fragments as the cost of embedding increases sharply the higher the +rank of pieces you are working with, so selling and salvaging are important.

This situation is going to get more severe as higher ranked gear gets introduced with later game cycles so its important to have a good stockpile of both. Also the range of transferable effects is likely to increase, for instance currently there's no way to change the martial arts imbued on particular weapons but given they share the red/white typeface to indicate locked/unlocked fields it seems highly likely that ability will become enabled at the smithy down the line.

Every TN title since Nioh has used basically the same approach to loot economy and crafting. Just be grateful that in Wo Long its cut back to a 200 + 2000 unit stock for inventory + storehouse. The Nioh's and SoP use a 500 + 5000 unit setup!

Aion002

I can't beat Lu Bu, I always get his health down and he just spams me every time.
I give up.....for now.
Did you try the earth shield spells? They are great combined with the Qinglong divine beast (healing special) for additional survivability.

Also, try using the dual Sabres, the HUNDRED-FORGED SABRES in particularly makes deflecting quite easy.

Last edited:

TGO

Did you try the earth shield spells? They are great combined with the Qinglong divine beast (healing special) for additional survivability.

Also, try using the dual Sabres, the HUNDRED-FORGED SABRES in particularly makes deflecting quite easy.
That's exactly what I have ironically minus Qinglong, I'll give that a try.
And people post your creations!
ov71Ddr.jpg

Orbital2060

I give up.....for now.
You gotta learn to deflect as much as possible of his attacks. Including the nornal swings and arrows, and learn their patterns too. Its not that hard once you do but getting there might take some time. Its a muscle memory thing.. and one of the toughest bosses Ive experienced. Reminds a bit of Artorias in the Dark Souls expansion. A really well made boss encounter, but it takes a bit of patience.

For the red wind-ups you sometimes have to wait until hes pretty close, like the red jump attack where you have to wait until he lands before pressing deflect. The one where he is dragging his sword on the ground towards you I find it tough to time the deflect and try to dodge or blink away from instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

TGO

You gotta learn to deflect as much as possible of his attacks. Including the nornal swings and arrows, and learn their patterns too. Its not that hard once you do but getting there might take some time. Its a muscle memory thing.. and one of the toughest bosses Ive experienced. Reminds a bit of Artorias in the Dark Souls expansion. A really well made boss encounter, but it takes a bit of patience.

For the red wind-ups you sometimes have to wait until hes pretty close, like the red jump attack where you have to wait until he lands before pressing deflect. The one where he is dragging his sword on the ground towards you I find it tough to time the deflect and try to dodge or blink away from instead.

I Deflect like a muthafucka and I Knock his health down fast then he stops doing the red wind-up attacks and just spams me with normal attacks until I fuck up and then its game over.
But even when I Deflect he attack straight away preventing me to get a hit in.

Orbital2060

I Deflect like a muthafucka and I Knock his health down fast then he stops doing the red wind-up attacks and just spams me with normal attacks until I fuck up and then its game over.
But even when I Deflect he attack straight away preventing me to get a hit in.
Yeah I know what you mean, he goes crazy with those sometimes. I healed up pretty soon when taking damage because of those flurries. And wiped to them many times. He doesnt always do them though. And you can dodge away or use the Water teleport spell.

a8d48168-e708-4148-9ea7eu8.png

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I completed the game yesterday and overall, it was a great experience. I had a lot of fun with this game.

Gameplay was great, with an excellent feeling to it. Parry is simple but requires precision, but offense is also rewarded and you have good possibilities for combos and skills. Bosses were for the most part superb with great design, music and attack patterns. The game was not too difficult though, so you don't always get to appreciate all the work that was put in these boss fights as they can end pretty quickly. There is another difficulty level that unlocks at the end, so I am expecting the fights to be more fierce and longer.

In terms of visuals, I found the game to be pretty good overall. You get some very nice scenery. With the theme they picked, I think that having a lot of variety was challenging, and they still managed to have quite a bit so that's a good accomplishment. Music also has its moments, I enjoyed the levels music for the most, they were not intrusive and pretty good. I know that I got fed-up with Elden Ring's overworld music very fast. Boss musics are often excellent. Cut-scenes were of the highest quality, really excellent, loaded with details, and huge efforts to integrate your custom character in them. This is something I really like by the way : you can create your character, he will look good, and he will be perfectly integrated in the story.

Only thing I disliked is the inventory management. You get a ton of items and then you have to do some management, which is a waste of time. I spent the whole game selling all the shit I had no interest in, and it takes time and is tedious. This is not PSO2 levels of bullshit, but still a bit annoying. Once I found a weapon scaling on Fire, I stuck with it the entire game. Picked my armor purely based on how good it looked and not being too heavy.

Great game, highly recommended.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

The inventory management can be annoying with tons of items to sell but there are built-in ways to make it easier. Explained in the video below. You can mark and lock items. And sell all of it in one transaction.

cireza

Banned
You can mark and lock items. And sell all of it in one transaction.
This is what I did. Still annoying ^^

Base game is not too difficult, you don't really have to care about embedding jewels by the way. Simply upgrade your equipment to +9 and you are good to go.

Last edited:

Yumi

Started “New Game Plus” or Hard difficulty. Finished up to chapter 3. So far I haven’t had to engage with jewel fragments, or speccing for bosses. But it is quite a bit more difficult. Mainly how punishing the morale system is. You get much less morale points for killing/criticals, and lose much more from taking damage.

It almost feels like New Game Plus was the original difficulty and they worked backwards from there.

Using the armor set that boosts imbued weapon damage and focusing on enemy elemental weakness is working out well, and is still a lot of fun.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I defeated the first two bosses. Just as I expected, a very good Sekiro inspired action game from one of the legendary devs of the industry. It would be so much better without unnecessary loot and a bunch of complicated features. I'm playing with gamepass pc, it works fluidly, performance is very good. I think it's fixed with patches. If you're staying away from it because of performance issues, I'd say it's time to give it a try.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I managed to finish the game. I really liked it, it was really great. I had as much fun as I had with Sekiro(sometimes more, sometimes less). I hope these devs continue to make such great games. Looks like it will win my game of the year award this year. Those who love Sekiro should definitely try it. Normally I don't continue to play after a playthrough, but now I will try to complete the side quests that require level 99.

Top Bottom