• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woke Hollywood gets burned by ‘Charlie’s Angels’ (and Terminator) box office bomb

The problem is not strong women in movies. It’s women pretending to be strong women in movies.

Characters and scenarios need to be well written to be believable, otherwise people will see straight through the BS. At the moment they are trying to have women play male characters. It’s both lazy and forced which is why it doesn’t work.

Movies are flopping left and right, my favorite horror this year Dr Sleep tanked. I think Charlie's Angels would have bombed even without the obnoxious wokeness but it sure made it did worse in the box office.

I think that Streaming is the main reason why the films are tanking these days. No one likes going out to see their friends anymore. Unless it is Superhero films.

I wonder how well Dr.Sleep would do if it were on Netflix or something. I think it could do very well.

Last edited:

trikster40

If!?

It's dead Jim. Its Suicide Squad without the Suicide Squad. And without any name recognition.

True, but DC has been on the upswing, and no Marvel movies in sight. Could be the perfect storm to make $3 billion. It could be the best movie ever...

giphy.gif

belmarduk

Are you sure that’s the reason and not that people no longer care about terminator or charlie’s angels anymore?

DKehoe

Gold Member
Movies are flopping left and right, my favorite horror this year Dr Sleep tanked. I think Charlie's Angels would have bombed even without the obnoxious wokeness but it sure made it did worse in the box office.

Sucks that Dr Sleep hasn't done well. I really enjoyed it.

I honestly think that if Cameron were to make a Terminator movie set during the war using the incredibly bleak, dark and blue-hued visuals like we saw in T1 and 2 it would be a major hit.

I believe Cameron said Salvation made him realise he's not interested in doing one set during the war.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I believe Cameron said Salvation made him realise he's not interested in doing one set during the war.
Salvation wasn't it, it didn't nail the atmosphere at all except in very few shots. Technically speaking, Aliens is kind of it. Very bleak, lots of hiding and fighting a terrible enemy with very little chance of victory, everybody being depressed etc. It even has that blue-hue and low tech sci-fi feel. Just switch aliens for termies, add some skulls to crunch on and you are golden.

Last edited:

Winter John

Or maybe they didn't fail due to politics or because they are shit.
Maybe they failed because they were poorly marketed.

If Charlie's Angels was a good film you might have a point, but it isn't, it's shit. We know it's shit because the marketing department did all they could to make it look less shit but it still looked like shit.

sol_bad

If Charlie's Angels was a good film you might have a point, but it isn't, it's shit. We know it's shit because the marketing department did all they could to make it look less shit but it still looked like shit.

Did you even watch it?
I can't be bothered having this argument again.

Super Mario

Banned
I'll actually break face for a bit and somewhat agree with the SJW stance on this. Women lead actors just aren't the same draw. Joker wouldn't be where it is at if it was about a woman.

Let's also not pretend like Charlie's Angel's is some deep film that should have been a huge hit. It's not like women are seeing it in droves either.

gatti-man

Dark Fate isn’t woke and this whole woke crybaby shit is completely devoid from reality.
If woke shit didn’t sell then Captain Marvel wouldn’t have done a billion.
How about movies no one wants to see don’t sell? Literally zero people wanted a Charlie’s angels movie and people are apparently tired of terminator after 3 bad sequels.

edit; and the woke left saying alita is alt right is just as bad and equally ridiculous. Alita is as alt right and Dark Fate is woke. It’s all ridiculous.

Last edited:

GV82

I did originally type out a long discussion which turned boring like most of what I write does, Instead I will put it in images

Charlie’s Angles has been done before

ZTtBtk7.jpg

But it’s been done better
YkwJfjO.jpg

Terminator has had a Strong Female before

RJHDqK2.jpg

But it’s been done better

vlSBDeA.jpg

Last edited:

belmarduk

I honestly think that if Cameron were to make a Terminator movie set during the war using the incredibly bleak, dark and blue-hued visuals like we saw in T1 and 2 it would be a major hit.

I still want to see Dark Fate but if they were to make a Terminator movie like the first one with horror overtones. I'd be all over that!

Ellery

Blaming others for your own failure always makes you look really good.

Sad state we are in. Just accept that your movie is bad

ExpandKong

Banned
I'll actually break face for a bit and somewhat agree with the SJW stance on this. Women lead actors just aren't the same draw. Joker wouldn't be where it is at if it was about a woman.

What a nonsense thing to say. If Joker was about a woman it wouldn’t be the same movie.

Not to beat a dead horse, but yeah Captain Marvel made a billion dollars and Wonder Woman was also a huge hit. Women can get asses in seats. The problem isn’t women actors in general.

What’s the difference between Joaquin Phoenix and Kristen Stewart? Joaquin Phoenix is a good fucking actor.

Good actors and actresses draw crowds. It also didn’t help that Banks was doing man-hating damage control before the movie even fucking launched.

So yeah. Actresses nobody wants to see in a franchise nobody asked to be revived, headed up by some madwoman bashing male moviegoers while in the same breath begging them to buy tickets.

iconmaster

Banned
Ford v Ferrari - 100 million budget

FvF is doing quite well, unwoke or not. I'm not sure what you're on about.

Do you assume movies need to make a profit in their first week?

Last edited:
I enjoyed all the videos taking a steaming dump on Elizabeth Banks.

To be honest, I didn't even notice this movie existed. I follow anti-SJW stuff pretty frequently. I just didn't even hear about Charlie's Angels even being a thing. I heard a ton more about Ghostbusters 2016.

I'll give Elizabeth Banks credit on one point. She has a gracious sense of self-depricating humor. Classy way to take the loss.

Writer, director, producer, actor. Yikes ... her career took a HIT.

That's because Charlie's Angels was already a feminine show that men would watch because those women were hot for their time. All they did was put some 3rd wave coat of paint on the concept and push it into the theater.
I think it's safe to say that this is one of those movies that " We never gave a fuck about" anyway.

Fbh

Let's also not pretend like Charlie's Angel's is some deep film that should have been a huge hit. It's not like women are seeing it in droves either.

While I somewhat agree with the overall idea, Joker wouldn't be were it is if it wasn't about a very famous comic book character with a history of iconic portrayals on both the big and small screen. And said character has historically been male (even though I'm sure in some of the 10 billion reboots and parallel universes there's some female versions).

Wonder Woman for example did really well and most people liked it. And I'd say a big part of why is because it's a decent adaptation of a beloved female comic book character instead of an attempt at gender swapping or making a more "diverse" version of an existing franchise. And from what I remember (only saw it once though) it didn't really feel like it was pushing any sort of message, it focused on telling a fun story with Wonder Woman front and center instead of filling it with eye rolling "Woman are badass too" and "woman are just as though as men!" scenes.

Kev Kev

yeah at this point you'd have to pay me to sit through this movie. already looked terrible and everything since it's been released makes it sound like it's worse than it looked

i do think that kristen stewart is attractive though. just a terrible actor.

wasn't the script so bad that she was the only one who'd take it because she'll take any script someone throws at her?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Drew Barrymores Charlies Angels did well.
79cef31d19a49e54d8695f2f45f92db0.gif

Maybe this new lot forgot to be sexy?

Exactly that, new tom boy club looks terrible. Zero sex appeal, shit cast. Who even wants to watch it.

It's a far cry from the 2000 version, and i don't even have to see the movie for it.

Add the toxic as fuck director with it.

What could ever go wrong.

Last edited:

manfestival

I did not even realize this new charlies angels movie was out

I will say that Nami Scott and Ella Balinska... ooof those ladies have a friend in me.

What the fuck is jojo rabbit? What the fuck is midway? What the fuck is ford v ferrari? People aren't watching 87 year old stallone play rambo again? Maybe if these were marketed as actively as woke movies you'd have a point.
Get off of GAF for a while. All movies you listed were heavily advertised

Durask

I think also the issue here that not only they have to make a woke movie, they have this urge to crudely virtue signal along the lines of "Hey you POS cishet white males, F** you, we have diversity now."

It's not that she's wrong, but she isn't really saying anything new either. Maybe I would take her parroting tweets more seriously if her profile pic wasn't a retarded twitch thot trifecta of down-angle selfie, duck-face and cleavage.

I kind of took that as though she might be making fun of those things. But even if they're genuine, this is kind of a low form of criticism, especially considering that she's a forum member here. "Not saying anything new" isn't a great observation either. You make some of my favorite critical analysis posts, so it was odd to see something from you like that.

Super Mario

Banned
What a nonsense thing to say. If Joker was about a woman it wouldn’t be the same movie.

This is more of a nonsense thing to say. In theory, it could be the same exact movie if it was about a woman. Why couldn't it be?

But in reality, few women have convinced the public they can play such a role.

cryptoadam

Banned
Cinema has to be different, surely? I don't have Netflix, and aren't a fan, but I'm sure if you want to watch an okay film you'll probably use the service rather than pay $20 for a cinema ticket for one.

Marvel, DC and Star Wars has strong appeal because die-hard fans exist. Films like The Joker did well because of the superhero associations, but also because it's generally a good film with wide appeal.

This pretty much. People have great TVs at home with 4K and 50-80 inches, while going to a movie will set you back 40-50$ if you go with a date. Unless a movie is an event I think most people would just rather watch at home these days, I know thats how I feel.

Also this movie looked like a Netflix or Amazon movie, not a big budget cinema movie. At least thats how it came across in the trailer.

Mossybrew

Unless a movie is an event I think most people would just rather watch at home these days, I know thats how I feel.

Yep. Charlie's Angels would be a rough sell for a $6 streaming rental, let alone getting out to the theater, I mean, does a fanbase even exist for this franchise? I'm down to watch the new Terminator ... when I can stream it at home. Nothing to do with any "agendas" these films have, they just don't meet the threshold for getting out of my house, dealing with potentially annoying strangers, and paying the highway robbery ticket price.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
While I somewhat agree with the overall idea, Joker wouldn't be were it is if it wasn't about a very famous comic book character with a history of iconic portrayals on both the big and small screen. And said character has historically been male (even though I'm sure in some of the 10 billion reboots and parallel universes there's some female versions).

Wonder Woman for example did really well and most people liked it. And I'd say a big part of why is because it's a decent adaptation of a beloved female comic book character instead of an attempt at gender swapping or making a more "diverse" version of an existing franchise. And from what I remember (only saw it once though) it didn't really feel like it was pushing any sort of message, it focused on telling a fun story with Wonder Woman front and center instead of filling it with eye rolling "Woman are badass too" and "woman are just as though as men!" scenes.

WW also starred the hot as hell Gal Gadot, and it had Chris Pine as a cool as fuck male lead. Guys would want to be Pine because he is hot and cool in the movie, and gets the babe. They will want to watch WW because she is sexy AF in that movie.

Dark Fate lets see. 3 women. 1 is your grandma, the other looks like a 6 foot Justin Beiber, and the 3rd is kinda cute but not hot AF. No male leads in sight except for old ass Arnie. No one wants to pretend they are 70+ year old Arnie who settled down to with a family instead of killing people with his giant muscles. No Kyle Reese love interest bad ass character either.

You want guys to see your movie, put in some ass kicking sexy ladies and a male character that men will want to imagine themselves as being. Not some emasculated soy boy.

I kind of took that as though she might be making fun of those things.

That's certainly possible but your impression lacks evidence.

But even if they're genuine, this is kind of a low form of criticism, especially considering that she's a forum member here. "Not saying anything new" isn't a great observation either. You make some of my favorite critical analysis posts, so it was odd to see something from you like that.

Fair enough.

I read her Ion Fury article back then and thought it was a decent piece of work and some of her game reviews on Niche Gamer are also very good. That being said, I'd take her journalistic output more seriously, if she didn't present herself like that. Especially considering that some of her work is somewhat derivative and seemingly laser focused on serving a special kind of audience. That string of tweets was nothing more than an amalgamation of already well known and widely spread arguments and examples, so really not that especially insightful in that regard. In that regard, I highly doubt reshashing these tired arguments will serve the desired purpose of making "woke directors STFU".

It just irks me when people, who otherwise are capable of decent work, do stuff like that. She's smart enough to not be needing that. Finally I do realize that my criticism was a little bit under the belt and not in line with what I usually post on here.

oagboghi2

And here's another point of view from someone who doesn't insult the case every 3rd sentence. Someone who just seems to enjoy films.

Someone's whose entire youtube career is built on loving everything and being a "nerd"? Yeah, I'm sure this movie is Oscar-worthy? :pie_eyeroll:

"He just enjoys films" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

sol_bad

Someone's whose entire youtube career is built on loving everything and being a "nerd"? Yeah, I'm sure this movie is Oscar-worthy? :pie_eyeroll:

"He just enjoys films" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The point is, he doesn't divulge in to the bullshit political topics that people whinge about on this forum. He looks at the film as a film. He doesn't bring up his own political beliefs and blah blah.
And he isn't an insulting wanker like the other video posted, that guy most likely hasn't seen the film anyway as he misses out on many various points throughout his "recap"..

Last edited:
Top Bottom