• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woke Hollywood gets burned by ‘Charlie’s Angels’ (and Terminator) box office bomb

d0a.png

Exactly, woke ass nerds too woke to be woke.

Crawl out the bed like
crybaby.jpg

Normal people are just like what the fuck is going on.

oagboghi2

Only crazy people with agendas look for, promote and get angry at these comments. Majority of film viewers don't even know who directors and producers are, all they know are the actors and the trailers they see. My family, my friends in Australia, my friends in the Philippines, none of them take notice of directors or producers.
Out of everyone I know, only 3-4 people take note of who the creators of movies are.

And again, I say, he wasn't attacking anyone in the fan base, he was just commenting on what he has noticed online. A vocal minority who are misogynists. No one saw these films because they simply weren't interested, not because of anything "woke". There are equal number of "none woke" movies that are failing at the box office too but you don't see a thread about that on these forums.

Agenda pushing.
How many films and projects have to fail before you admit this isn’t true.

It’s interesting to me that when. Woke film does well, it becuase of its politic is, and when they fail, it’s in spite of it.

The director said misogynistic internet trolls. He didn't say all men. Why would all man scifi fans get upset by that?
And what makes someone a “misogynistic troll”. According to Tim Miller, anyone not excited for this flop

sol_bad

How many films and projects have to fail before you admit this isn’t true.

It’s interesting to me that when. Woke film does well, it becuase of its politic is, and when they fail, it’s in spite of it.

Did you see my post on the first page about none woke films failing?
Ford V Ferrari, Midway, Gemini Man, Doctor Sleep.
Not as bad as Terminator or Charlie's Angels but they are still failing.

Ford V Ferrari had a 100 million budget, currently sitting at 108 million box office. Not making much money on the international market, might end with about 130-140 million box office. That's still a failure.

Midway also has a 100 million budget and not making much on the international market. Sitting at 93 million box office. Failure.

Doctor Sleep, 55 million budget and sitting at 63 million box office, not making much money internationally. Failure.

Gemini Man, lets not even go there.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Ford V Ferrari had a 100 million budget, currently sitting at 108 million box office. Not making much money on the international market, might end with about 130-140 million box office. That's still a failure.

Midway also has a 100 million budget and not making much on the international market. Sitting at 93 million box office. Failure.

Doctor Sleep, 55 million budget and sitting at 63 million box office, not making much money internationally. Failure.

All unknown name movies. Hardly comparable.

VulcanRaven

And what makes someone a “misogynistic troll”. According to Tim Miller, anyone not excited for this flop
He talks about misogynistic men who don't like the movie because the main characters are women. He doesn't talk about all men.

Last edited:

TUROK

I don't really think this has anything to do with sociopolitics.

I'd say it's more about the state of the IP's of Terminator and Charlie's Angels. One is definitely more relevant than the other, but neither really stand out in the public consciousness anymore for plenty of reasons.

And for the people who like to say that the movies would have made money if they were good, if the general audience actually cared about film quality, it'd be Parasite, Doctor Sleep, The Farewell, and so on that cracked a billion, not yet another formulaic big budget sequel/remake/adaptation (yeah, Terminator was definitely one of those, but at least it had robots, actual violence, and ass-kicking grannies).

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Doctor Sleep is a sequel to THE SHINING, and Gemini Man has WILL SMITH as the lead. But yes, other than that they're totally obscure titles.....
So people are just supposed to know about every Big Willy movie or some random sequel to a 40 year old horror movie? Yeah, just pump em out. 0 marketing. People will still know.
Even I know about Gemini Man though. Still a movie nobody gives a fuck about.

sol_bad

So people are just supposed to know about every Big Willy movie or some random sequel to a 40 year old horror movie? Yeah, just pump em out. 0 marketing. People will still know.
Even I know about Gemini Man though. Still a movie nobody gives a fuck about.

Funny how when it's a "none woke" movie the excuse is "nobody gives a fuck" but when it's a "woke" movie it's "suck shit, it failed because it's woke".

brap

Banned
Funny how when it's a "none woke" movie the excuse is "nobody gives a fuck" but when it's a "woke" movie it's "suck shit, it failed because it's woke".
It's because they market the fuck out of woke movies. If they're marketing that heavily and it fails that's pathetic. If something like Gemini Man or FVF fails who cares? They didn't care enough to market them in the first place. What's the non woke version of something like SW, marvel movies, charlize's angels, etc? Dwayne Johnson movies?
Show me the fucking Gemini Man refrigerators
XJDTUXYWJCTLIQSHAUFB.jpg

Kenpachii

Doesn't change the fact that they are failing and if the "anti-woke" brigade really cared about movies they'd be out there supporting the flicks I mentioned. But they aren't.

There is no anti woke brigade. There are people that don't like woke movies and wont watch it because of it. I am one of them. That doesn't mean if they don't like woke movies they will move towards every no name movie under the sun that feature male leaders to push there sale numbers forwards to make a point about wokeness. They simple don't watch the woke movie.

It's not as black vs white as u want it to be to draw simplistic answers out of it.

Do woke movies hurt your sales? yes it does.

I watched charlie angels 2000 and i liked it at the time, i didn't watch charlie angels 2019 because its woke garbage that makes me cringe hard.

Doctor Sleep is a sequel to THE SHINING, and Gemini Man has WILL SMITH as the lead. But yes, other than that they're totally obscure titles.....

Doctor sleep sounds like a kid movie played by eddie murphy. How are people supposed to know it has any relationship with the shining? after 39 years with no marketing and a complete and total different name with total different actors?

The only movie director i know is that one from star wars because he's a meme at this point, let alone a movie from 39 years ago Only the die hard fans would probably know about it and how big is that group after all those years? yea probably not big.

Gemini man, again a no name movie but atleast has will smith in it. Sadly the movie just looks incredible dull by the main enemy being himself. U would think that a older will smith knows a fuck ton more about the younger will smith then the other way around through more experience and being will smith. So why is this even a fight? Just trap the guy and done. Looks incredible dull and lackbusting also the trailer made it feel a bit like a cheap b grade quality movie to be honest besides the cgi for himself. Not interested into seeing this one.

Go make i am legends 2.0 and i will be there day one, however if that's 39 years later a different name and no will smith with no marketing yea i won't be seeing it. Unless it stands completely out on its own. Because who was the director of i am legend? i honestly wouldn't know even while i really like the movie.

Will smith covers a wide range of movies and some i like some i don't. He makes incredible movies but sometimes he makes movies i simple don't care for even remotely. This one is one of it. Seems like i am not alone on that matter.

Go ask anybody on the street what these movies are and u will hear dead silence. Because the marketing is awful.

To give you a idea, star wars has 230 million spend on marketing the movie, star wars is everywhere. Even there 2 teasers are 22,3m. Fuck that got people hyped to see those fighters fly over the water. Even while the movie was god awful, but the old cast and the name and the marketing carried it.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
Strong women being portrayed as something new is an absolute myth.

The greatest action movie ever, Aliens has a central protagonist who is female. She is smart, capable and fierce.

But it's not a cash in, it is not done in a pandering manner .... it was organic and part of the story and the development of the character.

People talking about Captain Marvel as some big deal are assholes who can't look past the current timeframe to see that it has been done before and better and legitimately well.

These cheap and obvious bandwagon jumping movies and media products deserve to be found out.

sol_bad

It's not as black vs white as u want it to be to draw simplistic answers out of it.

Your telling me that it's not as "black and white" as I want it to be?
Me? Who sees 2-4 movies a week at the cinemas and who doesn't give a shit if a movie is labeled as woke or not?
You're the one who won't see a film that has been labeled woke by you fellow cronies. You can't even see a film and form your own opinion. It's very black and white to you.

Last edited:
Me? Who sees 2-4 movies a week at the cinemas and who doesn't give a shit if a movie is labeled as woke or not?
You're the one who won't see a film that has been labeled woke by you fellow cronies. You can't even see a film and form your own opinion. It's very black and white to you.

Hmm, I don't care if something is labeled "woke".

But off course I feel put off when I see some broad talking shit about men. I mean, if I am the person they wanna market this to, they are doing a really really shitty job. Honestly.

Then, I have certain preferences for movies that I spent 15 bucks on for watching at the cinema.
It should have something going for it that I can appreciate and enjoy.

Women with lesbian haircuts that are barely able to fight being shown as martial artists, and bumbling men shown as idiots are not making me spending money for your movie. Sorry.

And I liked "S.P.Y", where they took that to the extreme. But it was obviously an over the top parody about this.

oagboghi2

Ford v Ferrari and Midway didn’t fail. Those both did above expectations.

In fact I find it odd you consider movies not making gangbusters internationally automatically a failure. I wonder why that is....
How many people even know there was a sequel to the shining

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yea because its not just woke or not woke. People don't support there non woke movies because not all non woke movies are movies people have interest in or even know about.

It's a concept u don't understand, because multiple things are involved in people's judgement not just one or two like u constantly push out. however wokeness does effect judgement for people and it will effect if people watch it or not.

I didn't watch charlie angels for the following reason

1) trailer looked like trash
2) actors looked like they didn't even wanted to be there
3) sex appeal they never heard of it which was basically angels for you
4) comedy didn't like it what they showcased
5) director is toxic don't care to support toxic people's products.
6) story non interesting
7) support cast, 2000 version had lots of stars in it what did they got? nothing.
8) woke script, no self humor, borefest.

Yea nothing for me.

But then u come out again and say:

U don't watch it because woke. And there you go again. ( even while i do watch woke movies like star wars, because they actually look interesting to watch ).

Anyway i feel like talking in circles towards you, its kinda pointless really i already explained this in my last reaction but u keep on resetting.

Keep believing that every male lead cast that isn't making huge bank is proof that wokeness isn't a thing.

It's like me making a movie about trump being the best guy ever where he sits on a chair for 2 hours long doing nothing. Will liberals go out and watch it in masses? In your opinion they will because wokeness doesn't exist and u first need to see the movie before u can criticise it. In my opinion they won't because trump = instant ignore, the few libs that dont care will also not watch it because 2 hours staring at a guy on a chair isn't the greatest entertainment.

Will trumpsters go out and watch it in masses? your opinion yes. while in reality they won't because nobody wants to watch a guy sit on a chair for 2 hours long.

Then when it bombs your conclusion is

See nobody likes trump and everybody hates him.

While in the reality it was just a shit movie, and having trump in it didn't help either way.

Black and white there you go again.

But anyway good luck with that kindergarten logic of yours. i am out.

Last edited:

Doom85

What are you all on about with marketing those two movies? Doctor Sleep's trailers and posters made it very clear it was a sequel to The Shining (which aside from those living in rocks or are so young they're just learning multiplication everyone who is a movie fan should know is an iconic horror movie loved by many including quite a few who aren't even really horror fans), and Gemini Man put Will Smith, a very marketable start, front and center in the trailer since obviously he's the main focus of the movie. The trailers for both played before plenty of films I saw in 2019, and I see a shit ton of movies (for example, I saw 37 movies in 2018). So no, they were marketed just damn fine, and no they're not going to make fucking refrigerators for them, what an unfair comparison. The budget for these two films versus massive blockbusters are generally very different so there's no need to do shit like that.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Glass, Us, John Wick 3, Annabelle Comes Home, and It Chapter Two all made plenty of money. And yes, I can use all of these as counter examples since they aren't big-budget massive blockbuster movies and all had a budget under $100 million (christ, Us and Glass only had a budget of $20 million and were still massive successes) and didn't have any of their own refrigerators (LOL). And I love this absurd reality some of you are creating that your average person off the streets won't know about these movies or the people making them (yeah, Tarantino, Jordan Peele, anything with Stephen King's name on it, none of this will rings bells for anybody outside of super massive nerds, psssh) and yet these same average people SOMEHOW know about these interviews like the one the Terminator Dark Fate's director gave. That's a very interesting reality that is also super convenient for the flimsy argument some of you are pushing.

Also, geezus fucking Christ, Zato, people aren't assholes because they like Captain Marvel. Grow the fuck up. Also, I think within the superhero genre (which Aliens isn't a part of last time I checked) yes female leads is a big fucking deal. Last time I checked, most considered Supergirl, Catwoman, and Elektra to be bad films. So to finally have Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel grace the big screen in films that people loved and thought was okay based on their respective online audience scores is a godsend for the superhero genre. Christ, Warner Bros years ago claimed why we hadn't got a Wonder Woman movie yet was the character's origin was hard to do in a movie. BULL FUCKING SHIT, in 2009 there was a direct-to-video animated WW film that was only 70 minutes long and yet covered her origin, meeting Steve, going to the US, having Ares as the villain, and having a big battle at the end and all with reasonable pacing. And WB acts like it can't pull that shit off in a movie that will likely be 100-130 minutes long, what a joke. So no, considering the absolute trash we got before 2017 in terms of female-led superhero movies, I'd say Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are a big deal for some people and that doesn't make them assholes.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
What are you all on about with marketing those two movies? Doctor Sleep's trailers and posters made it very clear it was a sequel to The Shining (which aside from those living in rocks or are so young they're just learning multiplication everyone who is a movie fan should know is an iconic horror movie loved by many including quite a few who aren't even really horror fans), and Gemini Man put Will Smith, a very marketable start, front and center in the trailer since obviously he's the main focus of the movie. The trailers for both played before plenty of films I saw in 2019, and I see a shit ton of movies (for example, I saw 37 movies in 2018). So no, they were marketed just damn fine, and no they're not going to make fucking refrigerators for them, what an unfair comparison. The budget for these two films versus massive blockbusters are generally very different so there's no need to do shit like that.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Glass, Us, John Wick 3, Annabelle Comes Home, and It Chapter Two all made plenty of money. And yes, I can use all of these as counter examples since they aren't big-budget massive blockbuster movies and all had a budget under $100 million (christ, Us and Glass only had a budget of $20 million and were still massive successes) and didn't have any of their own refrigerators (LOL). And I love this absurd reality some of you are creating that your average person off the streets won't know about these movies or the people making them (yeah, Tarantino, Jordan Peele, anything with Stephen King's name on it, none of this will rings bells for anybody outside of super massive nerds, psssh) and yet these same average people SOMEHOW know about these interviews like the one the Terminator Dark Fate's director gave. That's a very interesting reality that is also super convenient for the flimsy argument some of you are pushing.

Also, geezus fucking Christ, Zato, people aren't assholes because they like Captain Marvel. Grow the fuck up. Also, I think within the superhero genre (which Aliens isn't a part of last time I checked) yes female leads is a big fucking deal. Last time I checked, most considered Supergirl, Catwoman, and Elektra to be bad films. So to finally have Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel grace the big screen in films that people loved and thought was okay based on their respective online audience scores is a godsend for the superhero genre. Christ, Warner Bros years ago claimed why we hadn't got a Wonder Woman movie yet was the character's origin was hard to do in a movie. BULL FUCKING SHIT, in 2009 there was a direct-to-video animated WW film that was only 70 minutes long and yet covered her origin, meeting Steve, going to the US, having Ares as the villain, and having a big battle at the end and all with reasonable pacing. And WB acts like it can't pull that shit off in a movie that will likely be 100-130 minutes long, what a joke. So no, considering the absolute trash we got before 2017 in terms of female-led superhero movies, I'd say Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are a big deal for some people and that doesn't make them assholes.

Settle down, I never said anyone was an asshole because they liked Captain Marvel.

I said the ones that made it out to be of a cultural significance were assholes, so self absorbed in their own space in time to attribute a level of importance that was entirely not warranted.

Same kind of idiots that crowed about Black Panther, Blade made a mockery of their claims.

Same assholes that said misogyny caused Ghostbusters 2016 to flop, not that it was a shit film.

PC baby assholes.

Doom85

I already explained why Captain Marvel was significant within the superhero genre (and especially the MCU which is the most prominent superhero franchise nowadays). Also, the Blade trilogy had a black lead, not a whole cast of mostly black actors like Black Panther did.

It's because they market the fuck out of woke movies. If they're marketing that heavily and it fails that's pathetic. If something like Gemini Man or FVF fails who cares? They didn't care enough to market them in the first place. What's the non woke version of something like SW, marvel movies, charlize's angels, etc? Dwayne Johnson movies?
Show me the fucking Gemini Man refrigerators
XJDTUXYWJCTLIQSHAUFB.jpg

The Force of Innovation is about dishwashers, stoves, and refrigerators?

I guess the Force is female after all.

sol_bad

No, claiming someone's explanation is dumb as hell without explaining why it's dumb as hell is actually what's dumb as hell, and also childish, and any debate judge would dock you major points for not knowing something as basic as that.

lol
Yeah, sometimes I can't be bothered with O oagboghi2 , he never really provides his own thoughts or critiques. Just shits on posts without backing anything up.

MB1

Banned
The problem with Terminator is that it's the same movie done for the 4th time. When they do try something different see like Genisys, fans hate it. Maybe just let the franchise die.

oagboghi2

No, claiming someone's explanation is dumb as hell without explaining why it's dumb as hell is actually what's dumb as hell, and also childish, and any debate judge would dock you major points for not knowing something as basic as that.
I'm sorry, are we having a debate?

I find your opinion about Captain Marvel to be dumb on it's face. You think it is some type of "cultural moment" becuase Catwoman wasn't good? Becuase Warner Bros didn't make a previous WW script? What incredibly stupid logic.

The truth is you hell for its marketing. Let me ask, did you think you were making the world a better place when you bought a ticket?
lol
Yeah, sometimes I can't be bothered with O oagboghi2 , he never really provides his own thoughts or critiques. Just shits on posts without backing anything up.
That would mean something if I didn't know how much of a sycophant you are.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'd just like to point out that this woke labeled film has doubled it's production budget at the box office and is turning out to be a great little success story.

Box office mojo says it's at about 83 million but other sources say it's at about 89 million.

I'd just like to point out that this woke labeled film has doubled it's production budget at the box office and is turning out to be a great little success story.

Box office mojo says it's at about 83 million but other sources say it's at about 89 million.

How is it woke? Can you explain without spoiling? Because I haven’t seen it

Last edited:

oagboghi2

😂 wait, so according to you ford v Ferrari and midway are failures but knives out “is a huge success guys. Stay woke.”

Funny how that works🙄

sol_bad

😂 wait, so according to you ford v Ferrari and midway are failures but knives out “is a huge success guys. Stay woke.”

Funny how that works🙄

ummmmm
Both Midway and Ford V Ferrarri had 100 million budgets not including advertising.
So Midway is definitely a failure as it's sitting at 108 million box office.
Ford V Ferrari might be making some profit now as it's sitting at 167 million box office, that all depends on what it's advertising budget was. If it is the usual "double the production budget" as had been mentioned for other films than it's still in the red and isn't making money.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

ummmmm
Both Midway and Ford V Ferrarri had 100 million budgets not including advertising.
So Midway is definitely a failure as it's sitting at 108 million box office.
Ford V Ferrari might be making some profit now as it's sitting at 167 million box office, that all depends on what it's advertising budget was. If it is the usual "double the production budget" as had been mentioned for other films than it's still in the red and isn't making money.
So we’ve gone from definite failures to “might be failures” 🙄

sol_bad

[/QUOTE]

A $100 million goal means, however, that FvF will need an international haul of $150 million to break even between production and advertising costs.

So its sitting at 17 million profit right now. That's not very good. No studio wants 17 million profit from a 150 million production.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The problem with Terminator is that it's the same movie done for the 4th time. When they do try something different see like Genisys, fans hate it. Maybe just let the franchise die.
No surprise there.

The vast majority of movies and TV shows are so predictable, an 8 year old can figure out the ending before watching it.

Let me guess..... good guy vs. bad guy. Good guy will win 99% of the time. Horror movies, superhero movies and anything with good gumption for a sequel will have the bad guy open his eyes at the end........ OMG he's alive after all.......... I'm such an idiot I thought he was perma dead.

If more writers (who are supposedly highly trained) made more unique shit like Memento, Twilight Zone shit (just not so cheap and campy like the shows from the 60s), NARC (good cop movie), Reservoir Dogs. Even a movie I didn't like (12 Monkeys) had a weird plot twist.

Shawshank Redemption is a great movie where even if you know Robbins and Freeman will probably be the good guys and live happily ever after (which does happen), what happens in the middle of the movie and what leads to the escape is great.

A for Terminator, they had something with Salvation. Future setting, more gritty, but turns out to be a human vs Skynet big battle at the end with rebels flying in by helicopters. Supposedly the most powerful AI defence system in the world and they infiltrate it like a bunch Army soldiers on Huey copters. WTF?

Ya, the story is always going to be humans vs robots, but how about make a future setting movie where it has to do with a big plan to figure out how to time travel back in time? Not so much about 1 on 1 CGI battles every 5 minutes. How about a movie where it's centered on Skynet AI, and it's realizing it's losing to humans and the writers come up with a way to show it's desperate and needs to do time travel stuff at the last minute with prototype Terminators to win the war.

Just anything different.

Last edited:
Reactions: MB1

A $100 million goal means, however, that FvF will need an international haul of $150 million to break even between production and advertising costs.

So its sitting at 17 million profit right now. That's not very good. No studio wants 17 million profit from a 150 million production.

17-million profit and counting,

at least it's not losing 100-millions of dollars like your woke movies; Terminator and Charlies Angels

sol_bad

Ya, the story is always going to be humans vs robots, but how about make a future setting movie where it has to do with a big plan to figure out how to time travel back in time? Not so much about 1 on 1 CGI battles every 5 minutes. How about a movie where it's centered on Skynet AI, and it's realizing it's losing to humans and the writers come up with a way to show it's desperate and needs to do time travel stuff at the last minute with prototype Terminators to win the war.

Just anything different.

The unfortunate thing is that a movie set in the future will need a big budget and the last 3-4 Terminator films just haven't pulled in enough box office to make this feasible. Even Salvation didn't have enough budget, the film ends with a massive battle but all we see is a human vs robot fight in a factory that we have seen 3 previous times already.

17-million profit and counting,

at least it's not losing 100-millions of dollars like your woke movies; Terminator and Charlies Angels

It's still not enough of a profit to make Disney sit up and green light another production like this. The weekend just passed, the movie made 6.5 million domestically, next weekend it will make 2-4 million, the weekend after under 2 million. Internationally each country would have contributed less than 500,000 each this past weekend, most under 100,000. It might be lucky to hit 180 million.

Obviously my last prediction was way too low.
:)

The unfortunate thing is that a movie set in the future will need a big budget and the last 3-4 Terminator films just haven't pulled in enough box office to make this feasible. Even Salvation didn't have enough budget, the film ends with a massive battle but all we see is a human vs robot fight in a factory that we have seen 3 previous times already.

It's still not enough of a profit to make Disney sit up and green light another production like this. The weekend just passed, the movie made 6.5 million domestically, next weekend it will make 2-4 million, the weekend after under 2 million. Internationally each country would have contributed less than 500,000 each this past weekend, most under 100,000. It might be lucky to hit 180 million.

Obviously my last prediction was way too low.
:)

Hahaha you’re wrong AGAIN....FvF is already at 185M and still going strong

sol_bad

Hahaha you’re wrong AGAIN....FvF is already at 185M and still going strong

I'm very happy to be proven wrong for this film, it deserves to do well.
Hopefully Disney will think 35 million profit is enough to green light more productions like this in the future.

kunonabi

We can sort of add Black Christmas to the list. It was so cheap it kind of has to make a profit but it still came in way under expectations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom