• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood Review Thread

Mista

Banned
wolfenstein-youngblood-hero-banner-01-ps4-us-22may19

GameSpot: 8/10
The Blazkowicz sisters steal the show in a bite-sized cooperative spin-off FPS that packs a hell of a punch, further invigorating the franchise.

Game Informer: 8.5/10
This side chapter provides a steady dollop of Nazi-massacring fun, especially if you have a pal along for the ride

IGN: 6.5/10
Youngblood is aggressively okay, but doesn't come close to recapturing the joy of its predecessor.

Destructoid: 6/10
Maybe I just expected too much, but I find myself missing the careful balance of story and gameplay that The New Order had down pat. Youngblood makes plenty of strides forward for this series, but it also takes some steps backward that end up hurting the overall package.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm not exactly getting the feeling like Youngblood is a bad game. I'm just getting the impression that it wasn't like the last two games. Which is conflicting if you're just wanting to shoot nazis in a new game.

Mista

Banned
I'm not exactly getting the feeling like Youngblood is a bad game. I'm just getting the impression that it wasn't like the last two games. Which is conflicting if you're just wanting to shoot nazis in a new game.
That’s how I’m feeling too. I already bought and preloaded the game so I don’t give a damn boah!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
77% Metacritic so far. 19 reviews.

Last edited:
Destructoid said:
the careful balance of story and gameplay that The New Order had down pat.

That "careful balance" killed The New Order's pacing and replayability. Those sewer levels were especially bad. Also the story was all over the place in the second half.

Tesseract

Banned
Keep in mind that sites reviews represents their opinion and not urs. How many times we got a mediocre scores for games and turned out to be good? Days Gone is the latest example

true, guess we'll see

the rpg floating health bar enemy scaling to unbeatable levels stuff is seriously worrying, as is the inventory management stuff and stop / go chit chat that breaks up the flow

hoping SP AI is at least hl2 episode 1 levels

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
GameStop has probably torn down a small forest with how much they’ve marketed Youngblood. The store I went in today was cluttered with stuff. Youngblood TV spots, etc.

I wasn’t sure about Youngblood at first, but the stuff I’ve seen so far looks good. I have to wonder if the developers woke up today, got on the internet and said “oh shit, all our hard work was for nothing. Look at that meta score!” “Now we won’t be in business next year”.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Keep in mind that sites reviews represents their opinion and not urs. How many times we got a mediocre scores for games and turned out to be good? Days Gone is the latest example
So true about the bad Reviews ... well is reviews in general are bad.

A exception of Days Gone... still for me is mediocre game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So true about the bad Reviews ... well is reviews in general are bad.

A exception of Days Gone... still for me is mediocre game.
Reviews are nothing more than opinions, ultimately you are the one needs to decide if the game is for you or not. I feel like people put too much weight on score rather than in the actual review itself.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Reviews are nothing more than opinions, ultimately you are the one needs to decide if the game is for you or not. I feel like people put too much weight on score rather than in the actual review itself.

Yes indeed. is too sad that people prefer see a Metacritic score before buy a game... for me not my style is Bad or Good game i play it first and second i give my opinion.

Actually im looking to buy the game of Godzilla for ps4 and i dont care the score of reviews in any site.

By the Way .

Wolfenstein (At least this new saga games) for me is a Disgusting saga, and i say it because i play the new order... for me the first half of game story is interesting but the second part is lame and some elements and "Humor Goofy" is stupid. I dont wanna see other game of this saga anymore.

Last edited:
This game really should have come out after Wolfenstein 3. Going straight to the grown children without finishing BJ's arc is going to upset some fans.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No wonder devs want to get rid of user reviews when sometimes they're so fucking stupid. Most of the complaints on Steam are because it has COOP and lite rpg systems which were fucking marketed and shown in gameplay videos..ridiculous. I get that Wolfenstein fans only want mindless nazi shooting but things change over time.

ROMhack

I dunno man. It's a first-person co-op shooter. If you like killing shit with friends then I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you don't have any friends, or killed them all in a huff over losing a game of scrabble, then you probably won't enjoy it as much. It's also a $20 game and I'm sure there's an obvious reason for that.

7/10

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Alanah says that it's looter shooter ish. If that is your thing.

Really don't care what Patreon abusing, Twitch donate begging, stank infused bath water selling, travel the world on the dimes of whale virgins, laughing, instagram influencer but only neck down bikini wearing, probably dates any dude globally who offers $5k, fake Fortnite playing while wearing a low-cut top, $2500 a month condo paid for by sugar daddy living, pictures of a giant German Shephard on Twitter to ward off the creepers posting, lack of kitchen attendance, stupid btches have to say.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Really don't care what Patreon abusing, Twitch donate begging, stank infused bath water selling, travel the world on the dimes of whale virgins, laughing, instagram influencer but only neck down bikini wearing, probably dates any dude globally who offers $5k, fake Fortnite playing while wearing a low-cut top, $2500 a month condo paid for by sugar daddy living, pictures of a giant German Shephard on Twitter to ward off the creepers posting, lack of kitchen attendance, stupid btches have to say.

You were so mad you forgot to finish your sentence.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I don't like her either but...this is harsh lol.

HotPocket69

Banned
Watched a bit of the GB Quick Look yesterday and the enemies are incredibly bullet spongey. Also they all now have health bars above their head for whatever dumb reason. Might as well have added some poppin damage numbers too.

👎🏻

sol_bad

Someone has a problem.
LMAO

It was the first video on my feed about it and posted it. I like Alanah, gotten support my fellow Ozzies!

xRaizen

Alright so I've played it for a few hours and it’s bad. It has a dumb level system that means you do very little damage against higher level enemies.

I normally love shooter RPG’s (I play Destiny 2 quite a bit) but Wolfenstein is definitely not one that needs it. I always loved that you could go in guns blazing if you were skilled enough in the previous games but Youngblood that is a death sentence since enemies even 1 or 2 levels higher than you are bullet sponges... so that means you spend a lot more ammo than you did previously. It has thrown me off multiple times. I don’t like it at all.

I know the previous games had a level up system as well but it was only for skills like crouch walking faster and such, didn’t affect your damage against enemies at least not that I remember.

The sisters, especially the blonde one, are annoying. Their dialogue is dumb. Though that’s to be expected since the writing in TNC sucked as well.

Overall I got bored real quick, and have no desire to play it much more. Disappointing to say the least, as I at least expected more run and gun gameplay.

For anyone who is into such things, I found out, that the co op on the Switch version can be played locally with both players playing on their own Switches.

HotPocket69

Banned
This shoed in “leveling” system shit is unnecessary and it’s slowly starting to chip away at what once were simply great, story driven shooters with no gimmicky, bandwagon Looty RPG Lite crap. It was stupid as hell in Far Cry New Dawn and it sounds ridiculous in this. Just leave that shit to Borderlands or make a new fuckin IP.

Rage 2 also suffered from something like this did it not

Last edited:
This shoed in “leveling” system shit is unnecessary and it’s slowly starting to chip away at what once were simply great, story driven shooters with no gimmicky, bandwagon Looty RPG Lite crap. It was stupid as hell in Far Cry New Dawn and it sounds ridiculous in this. Just leave that shit to Borderlands or make a new fuckin IP.

No, thankfully Rage 2 is still a strait shooter but with your basic upgrade systems to improve the effectiveness of you and your shit. The game is pretty balanced around all that being optional.

xRaizen

It’s completely unnecessary and forces you to play conservatively rather than aggressively like past Wolfenstein games. I found myself hiding more frequently and peek shooting because enemies have a shit ton of health and added armor as well. They force you to use certain guns because there are 2 different armor types, so shotgun will shoot one type and SMG shoots another. If you use the wrong bullet type on the armor it just does chip damage. It’s annoying to be forced to use certain weapons constantly. It messes with my playstyle as well, as like I said, I like playing aggressively but can’t do it anymore.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
US$30 looks expensive. This should be just a DLC, costing US$10 or something

Last edited:
Top Bottom