• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman denied Lupus medication, thanked for 'sacrifice' for coronavirus patients

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A 42-year-old woman from the Los Angeles area who’s diagnosed with lupus said her health care provider stopped filling her prescription for chloroquine – and sent her a message thanking her for her “sacrifice” to help treat those seriously ill with the coronavirus.

The woman identified only by her first name Dale said she received a message from Kaiser Permanente, a major health care provider based in Oakland, Calif., on Tuesday informing her that the company was reserving its current supply of plaquenil/hydroxychloroquine. The drug would be used to treat those "critically ill with COVID-19" amid shortages caused by the global pandemic, it said.

"The fact that they thanked me for my 'sacrifice' is disturbing," Dale told BuzzFeed News. "I never agreed to sacrifice my health and possibly my life, and cannot believe that I am being forced to do so."

04c578f1-AP20071651853518.jpg

A laboratory technician prepares COVID-19 patient samples for semi-automatic testing at Northwell Health Labs, Wednesday, March 11, 2020, in Lake Success, N.Y. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved faster testing protocols as the viral outbreak continues to spread worldwide. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

Dale said she’s taken the drug for 10 years, since she was diagnosed with lupus, which is a long-term autoimmune disease that occurs when the immune system attacks normal, healthy tissue.

"I am already immunocompromised, and not taking this medication likely put me into a lupus flare, making serious complications from COVID more likely," she said.

In its emailed message, Kaiser Permanente said “hydroxychloroquine does build up a level in the system that stays in the body for an average of 40 days even after the last dose is taken.

"Thank you for the sacrifice you will be making for the sake of those that are critically ill; your sacrifice may actually save lives," the message said.

“We are working hard every day to continue to do everything we can to find ways to replenish the medication as soon as possible. During this time, you should continue to take the remaining pills you have on schedule unless otherwise instructed by your prescribing physician.

“Please do not contact your physician about an exception process to get a refill, as prescriptions will not be filled even if written by your physician,” it continued. “If you do run out of medication and feel that your condition is significantly worsening, please contact your doctor to discuss alternative treatments.”

Anna Valdez, Ph.D., RN, a medical professional also diagnosed with lupus, said she couldn't refill her prescription for hydroxychloroquine either due to shortages amid the coronavirus outbreak. It is unclear who her health care provider is.

“Please do not misuse hydroxychloroquine. This med is critical for people who have SLE, like me,” she tweeted on Saturday. “I was told today that my prescription cannot be filled because the suppliers are completely out. Now I do not have the meds I actually need for an incurable disease I actually have.”

There are no alternatives to the medications for many with the disease, the Lupus Foundation of America said in a press release Monday addressing shortages.

“Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine are the only methods of preventing inflammation and disease activity that can lead to pain, disability, organ damage, and other serious illness.”

In a statement to BuzzFeed News, Nancy Gin, regional medical director of Quality and Clinical Analysis at Kaiser Permanente, Southern California, said the company is working to ensure both COVID-19 patients and those diagnosed with severe, acute lupus have access to the drug amid shortages.

"As we face the real possibility of running out of the drug for everybody if we don’t take steps to mitigate the shortage, Kaiser Permanente, like other health care organizations across the country, has had to take steps to control the outflow of the medication to ensure access to severely sick patients, including both COVID-19 and those with acute lupus," she said.

“Extensive experience and research show that hydroxychloroquine builds up in the body and continues to work for an average of 40 days even after the last dose is taken,” she continued. “By then, we expect the drug manufacturers to have ramped up production to meet the increased demand. Until then, we are no longer refilling routine prescriptions to ensure we have adequate supply to care for our sickest patients."

AP20076679066926.jpg

Pharmacist Michael Witte wears heavy gloves as he opens a frozen package of the potential vaccine for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, on the first day of a first-stage safety study clinical trial, Monday, at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Last week, four volunteers at the Kaiser Permanente Research Institute in Seattle were given the first round of Moderna Therapeutics' vaccine -- the start of the first clinical trial since the outbreak began.

Researchers around the globe have worked since Jan. 10, when Chinese officials first published the genetic sequence of the novel coronavirus, to develop vaccines, diagnostic tests and treatments for COVID-19. A vaccine is not expected to be made available to the general public for at least 18 months.

President Trump announced the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was making several experimental drugs, including chloroquine, which is a drug designed to fight malaria, available to test whether it helps patients recover from coronavirus. In studies published by South Korea and China, the drug showed promise for treating COVID-19 patients.

An Arizona man died – and his wife was in critical condition – after self-medicating to prevent them from contracting the coronavirus. Both ingested a fish tank cleaner including the drug chloroquine phosphate, which is used as an additive in aquariums to kill microorganisms that could harm fish and other aquatic life. Banner Health later issued a stern warning against bootleg COVID-19 treatments.

It's Drumpf's fault, obviously. He manslaughtered that poor man who he tricked into drinking bottles of fish tank cleaner, and now he made this company act like massive cunts.

In a rational world the news would not keep bringing up that bullshit and acting like it means something, but instead it gets tacked on to every news story about chloroquine. What if every news story about water had warnings about drowning and death by water intoxication because some idiot drank 20 gals of water for a Wii two decades ago?

It is a great thing for people to hear about chloroquine - it has demonstrably saved lives alreadly, even if it may have selective efficacy. Trying to marry it with some idiot naturally selecting himself and some company hoarding it and acting like dicks in order to spite Trump is completely irresponsible.

daveonezero

Banned
thanks govcorp.

A bit off-topic but I don't know why outlets keep bringing this up as if it's some kind of counterargument to the effectiveness of chloroquine. They ingested fish tank cleaner.
I don't either. I think its a hit at trump for saying anything experimental and it damages stupid people that will think a fish tank cleaner is the same thing. /shrug.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't know this seems kinda fake ?

This drug is cheap and there are millions of them. TEVA send like 10 million tablets to the USA.

If TEVA can send out 10 Million tablets, it kinda doesn't really make much sense that they would start hoarding them and denying it to patients.

Seems like just another article to try and attack Trump to me. And of course scare people, especially those that are sick into thinking that their drug will run out over a phoney cure.

Or this Kaiser place is just like those TP hoarders. But I am sure this will turn out like the fish tank story where there is more to it and this is just being spun because ORANGE MAN BAD.

Last edited:
A bit off-topic but I don't know why outlets keep bringing this up as if it's some kind of counterargument to the effectiveness of chloroquine. They ingested fish tank cleaner.
Maybe as a warning so more people don't have the same idea?

But it also spreads the idea that chloroquine is unsafe, which it isn't if you take the actual drug(not fishtank cleaner) under medical supervision.
Still, I think it's irresponsible to hype a drug like that without having any proper data to back it up.
There are dozens of pills around that "might" have an effect and have some anecdotal evidence backing them up, but that's not how medicine operates.

Also, I can't believe there is a shortage of a generic drug to the point where people who need it have to "sacrifice". What the hell?

Last edited:
An Arizona man died – and his wife was in critical condition – after self-medicating to prevent them from contracting the coronavirus. Both ingested a fish tank cleaner including the drug chloroquine phosphate, which is used as an additive in aquariums to kill microorganisms that could harm fish and other aquatic life. Banner Health later issued a stern warning against bootleg COVID-19 treatments.
That's different and people seem to confuse things. That was fish tank cleaner and not a medicine. He died because he was stupid. It may sound harsh, but it's true.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't know this seems kinda fake ?

This drug is cheap and there are millions of them. TEVA send like 10 million tablets to the USA.

If TEVA can send out 10 Million tablets, it kinda doesn't really make much sense that they would start hoarding them and denying it to patients.

Seems like just another article to try and attack Trump to me. And of course scare people, especially those that are sick into thinking that their drug will run out over a phoney cure.

Or this Kaiser place is just like those TP hoarders. But I am sure this will turn out like the fish tank story where there is more to it and this is just being spun because ORANGE MAN BAD.

This narrative was created by CNN in their town hall with Fauci. Of course it's fake.

But it also spreads the idea that chloroquine is unsafe, which it isn't if you take the actual drug(not fishtank cleaner) under medical supervision.

Which is how almost everyone would do it. And which is how doctors are already trying it to save people who are dying from drowning in their own fluids.

If you heard chloroquine might work and then come down with a critical case of the Wu Flu, you don't really care if something only works for x% of people (likely due to some unknown genetic factor). If it works for you you live. Telling people about it empowers them, especially when the drug is cheap and plentiful.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It's Drumpf's fault, obviously. He manslaughtered that poor man who he tricked into drinking bottles of fish tank cleaner, and now he made this company act like massive cunts.

In a rational world the news would not keep bringing up that bullshit and acting like it means something, but instead it gets tacked on to every news story about chloroquine. What if every news story about water had warnings about drowning and death by water intoxication because some idiot drank 20 gals of water for a Wii two decades ago?

It is a great thing for people to hear about chloroquine - it has demonstrably saved lives alreadly, even if it may have selective efficacy. Trying to marry it with some idiot naturally selecting himself and some company hoarding it and acting like dicks in order to spite Trump is completely irresponsible.

What part of this makes you think the company is acting like a dick?

There is a finite supply of medications. They are reserving it for people who are more seriously ill. What else would you expect them to do?

What part of this makes you think the company is acting like a dick?

There is a finite supply of medications. They are reserving it for people who are more seriously ill. What else would you expect them to do?

Chloroquine is a very cheap and plentiful medication that has a lot of generic variants, and she has a serious illness. From anecdotes, people who have been saved by it do not use a lot either, likely because it is just acting as a catalyst to get zinc across cell membranes.

I don't see any point for anyone to start hoarding it yet, just use it rationally.

Last edited:
It's turning into more than anecdotes.

Paywalled, but here's an excerpt regarding the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin:

q5QXtIz.png
Yes, I think the likelihood is pretty high. It also makes sense from a technical perspective considering what Chloroquine does to cells. But I don't think these are discussion we should have in a way oversimplified form in a polarized public. I mean, medical treatments shouldn't become a controversial topic, that's just not helpful.
But Chloroquine is certainly currently in the top 3 most promising treatment methods, but this all needs to be done properly. And it is. Scientists across the globe are doing great work. They are the ones fighting this war offensively for us.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Chloroquine is a very cheap and plentiful medication that has a lot of generic variants, and she has a serious illness. From anecdotes, people who have been saved by it do not use a lot either, likely because it is just acting as a catalyst to get zinc across cell membranes.

I don't see any point for anyone to start hoarding it yet, just use it rationally.
The dosage for coronavirus is quite a bit higher than what is used in most inflammatory disorders. Manufacturers only produce as much as they would expect there to be demand for. In areas with large outbreaks, its highly likely there will be a shortage of the drug if it starts getting used widely.

We have shortages of other generic drugs all the time. That doesn't make a difference. Someone still has to produce it.

Weiji

Banned
How is denying a lifesaving drug to those at low risk to preserve the life of those at high risk the wrong way to deal with this?

I grant the wording of the email is awkward corporate speak crap, but it sounds like absolute right move by kaiser to me.

This lady is a panic stricken fool only concerned with herself.

cryptoadam

Banned
The dosage for coronavirus is quite a bit higher than what is used in most inflammatory disorders. Manufacturers only produce as much as they would expect there to be demand for. In areas with large outbreaks, its highly likely there will be a shortage of the drug if it starts getting used widely.

We have shortages of other generic drugs all the time. That doesn't make a difference. Someone still has to produce it.

Somehow TEVA donated 10 million tablets like it was nothing to the US 2 weeks ago.

This thing is used in Africa. If African countries can afford it I don't really think shortages should be an issue.

Unless those TP hoarders get wind of this LOL. Or CCP buys it all up.

Top Bottom