• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman 1984 Coming to HBO Max December 25th

Aggelos

Why is she so much better looking than Gal gobat?

because beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

kHPImqy.jpg

K1Expwy

A lot of people are comparing it to Lester's Superman II and that's an apt comparison as it copies a huge plot point from that movie.
There were direct references to Superman 1978 in the first movie. I guess Wonder Woman will turn into an alcoholic Karen in the third movie

sol_bad

Xfkh1A9.png

Looks like it should be a fun time.

I hope you aren't one of those people that say Rotten Tomatoes doesn't mean anything when using a film like .... lets say The Last Jedi.

*edit*
I'll be seeing this with the family on the 28th at the cinemas. Bless Australia.
:D

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Extremely large TV’s sell for so cheap, I have two of them at home. Watching this at home won’t be as good as watching this on theaters, but I’ll enjoy it nonetheless.

Alcibiades

Unless the movie sucks, I'm going to watch it in IMAX, Dolby Cinema, XD, EVX, etc... well, maybe not all those, but I image I'm going to see it several times over the next month.

The home experience cannot be matched I don't care how big the TV/projector and good the sound system is. Especially now with social distancing guidelines at theaters, you're unlikely to be disturbed by talking and distractions since everyone sits far away from each other. When I get to my seat, I turn of my phone and lose myself in the movie. No alerts, door knocks, noise in another room, etc... Yeah sometimes going to the restroom sucks but honestly I run and come back and I find the act of pausing a movie at home just as disruptive to the immersive experience.

I love home theater and heck I bought the first HD-DVD player when it was out and even though I have a keen dislike of Sony even bought one of their super fancy Blu-ray players a couple of years later. I was crazy enough to even have a 5.1 surround in a tiny bunkbed dorm room. Home theater is an great experience, but if you can afford it, theaters are the way to go.

I get why they want to do this during a pandemic but it's a little puzzling why they didn't even give theaters a 2-4 week exclusivity window.

Streaming options are getting out of hand anyway that soon enough people are going to start to turn to piracy again before adding yet another subscription.

"

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
Guys, I wanna know if a Godzilla Vs Kong trailer drops on those Wonderwoman screenings. Because the word around the campfire was that it would drop around Wonderwoman's release.

I don't think so as it has already released in many asian countries including mine, so if there was such a preview then news would have already spread across the internet. Might be in Western markets, but for that you'll have to wait.

Aggelos

I don't think so as it has already released in many asian countries including mine, so if there was such a preview then news would have already spread across the internet. Might be in Western markets, but for that you'll have to wait.

Well, it was a rumour in the first place, so we'll wait and see if it winds up true.

Jethalal

Banned
Well, it was a rumour in the first place, so we'll wait and see if it winds up true.
I'll let you know if it is in my screening. I am leaving for the movie soon.
Maybe they're avoiding the first look due to their tussle with Legendary over release on HBO MAX.
Let's see.

Jethalal

Banned
How was it?
Bro I loved it a lot. Easily the best DCEU Flick and 2nd overall after The Dark knight. This is my favourite female centric movie ever because the heroine is a very strong lead. Women are forced to portray 2 kinds of roles unfortunately either an eye candy or on the other extreme end, they are forced to become a symbol for woman empowerment. The movie does it best, her being a woman isn't her biggest differentiating factor from other male heroes but it's the richness of her character.

Positives: great acting by Chris pine and pedro pascal, great lead, unique villain, fun to watch, great emotional moments, great hype moments too.

Negatives: wonky cgi, cheetah looked horrible, they should've deleted 20 minutes from the 1st half to improve the pacing, wonder woman looks weird while running.

This was basically if Bruce almighty was a supervillain and I loved this movie. Would've given 9.5 but the bad pacing in first half drags it down to a 9.

manfestival

I would like to see this at theaters. HBO Max getting it at the same time is kinda meh but I might bite the bullet for a month just so I can resume watching Raised By Wolves

I tried to watch it last night.

I don't know what they were trying to do with this movie. I actually enjoyed the first quite a bit, but this one is just a mess. From the very beginning, you have a ridiculous, over the top, corny 80's 'humor' with an exaggerateddly epic soundtrack. It just doesn't fit. Then it just keeps going. It's bad. Couldn't finish it.

mcjmetroid

I went and saw it in the cinema in Ireland yesterday.

Honestly it was complete and utter trash.

I liked the first one. Wouldn't say it was fantastic but it was decent but this movie was just awful.

Had me rolling my eyes every 5 seconds.

Popcorn was good though
Ya Ireland based as well.

It was dreadful.

Like really bad. How did this get in anyway favourable reviews?

AmuroChan

WW84 was a big miss IMO, especially when compared to the first, which I mostly enjoyed. The script was all over the place, the villains were underdeveloped, and the SFX was awful for a $200m movie.

Bit_Reactor

I'm glad that this is one of the movies of its type where people can actually be critical of it. Glad to see this and Star Wars TROS are some of the movies that actually break people out of their fandom enough to be critical of something.

There's so many weird things in the movie. Gonna spoiler tag them just in case.
-Like why we took 2 hours and 40 minutes to tell a story that only needed maybe half that.
-Why it feels like for the first hour and a half we're doing a lot but nothing is actually happening.
-Why they decided to not just bring Chris Pine back instead of putting him in the body of another dude for a literal single scene before swapping him out, barring the implications of Diana banging a bodysnatched dude.
-If your goal is to become a wishing stone why your first wishes are so stupid? They got to the "meet the president" like an hour and a half later than I would have if I was devising some grand scheme.
-Why was kid Diana beating grown ass adults and why is her cheating by not hitting a single target more intrusive than the woman who literally shoved a girl in the first part of the mission?
-How the hell does Chris Pine know how to fly a 80s jet?
-Better yet why did we even use the 80s as it only applies to barely a fourth of the run time?
-We need to get away! Quick, learn how to turn things invisible with a single line of dialogue!
-Holy shit at the Cairo chase, that was one of the most terrible action scenes in superhero movies. CW has better action scenes and better CG than that film did.
-They write an entire scene around Pedro having the monkeys paw ability and not being able to grant more than one wish, but then he is able to give more power to Wiig by using loophole? If that was possible why can he not then do a million other things like when he receives a wish he gives someone another 100 wishes? The rules of this deus ex machina stone are inconsistent and contrived.
-Why is the Cheetah and WW fight even WORSE than the first movie's third act fight? There's an entire part where Diana just kinda...swings around on her damn lasso while Cheetah bounces around. (also noticed they keep Cheetah in night time because and definitely didn't want to stay too long on her face, lol).
-The entire theme of the movie is sloppy and poorly executed.
-They show Kristen Wiig being mean to a guy who keeps being pushy on her when the bum she was nice to earlier in the movie is literally right there that would hit closer to the audience and be an ACTUAL evil act vs just....self defense against some rando.
-Where did the budget go? Certainly not the SFX. That's for sure.

I could go on all day. I don't get how this movie got approved to release in its condition. I was laughing AT the film more than I was watching it the entire time. Between bad sfx, bad acting, and bad writing I don't understand how this film was considered ready for the big screen, let alone streaming.

Pedro hams it up, Wiig does great with what she's given which actually worried me because I don't like Wiig usually, but other than that there's a scene where the son of Pedro literally looks almost directly at the camera and there's so many scenes where actors just do and say things that make no sense.

It felt like it was hellbent on having Gal Gadot "look hot" vs exerting any kind of effort in her action scenes and it looked even worse than the Justice League and Wonder Woman 1 action scenes did. Just what?

It's a frankenstein of like 3 films stitched together to this mess. At least we got some good laughs out of it though.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Why did this have to be so loooong? It's 2.5 hours and it feels like 3. So many scenes are stretched out so hard and the first 60-75 minutes are so meandering.

I was 75 minutes into the movie when I first wondered if it was going to finally go anywhere. By the time I was 2 hours in, I checked to see how much more there was and couldn't believe they were stretching it out another 30 minutes.

It's just missing a soul. It felt like someone emulating the movie making process moreso than someone making a movie. Lots of failed copying of scenes you've seen in other successful movies cobbled together into one mishmash without the right beats.

Am I just getting too cynical? Why does it feel like it's so hard to find good movies anymore? So many of them feel like this one - like they were made by amateurs who were given way too big of a project/budget for their skill level.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Finally finished that movie and yeah it was a mess. Like what happened in the making of this movie for it to be so terrible in comparison to the first wonder woman movie.

My spoiler why did they do this and complaints

My first question is why did it take so long to take down those first 4 robbers
[*]the body swapping thing with pine as mentioned above was weird as well
[*]Like she seemed extremely weak during the whole movie like Captain America weak
[*]why was the wish master so obsessed with wishes. He didn't seem that crazy originally and that little flashback didn't explain anything
[*]How did he push diana away from him. He all of a sudden had wind power?
[*] That fight with cheetah was so bad. Like cheetah suppose to be super fast. That fight was in slow motion with a bunch of swinging on ropes
[*]Why was there so little action in a movie based off an amazon warrior

Last complaint that cg in the movie looked really bad quite a few times.

Last edited:

JayK47

I can't stand that these modern super hero PG-13 movies are all 2.5 hours long. What happened to 90 minute movies? So much filler. So boring. Most of them are so bad.

cryptoadam

Banned
Ok Wow I am actually not in agreement with everyone. Usually I hate movies like Terminator 5 or the new Bill and Ted. But I don't see why everyone is shitting on this one. It wasn't the greatest movie ever, but for a super hero movie it was pretty decent. Alot better than the vast majority of tripe we have been seeing lately.

It was a bit long, but thats why it benefits from home viewing. You can control how you watch it. I would put it against any of the more recent marvel movies.

Major complaint for me was Wonder Woman moves so weired. Not sure if thats a stylistic choice or the special effects.

Saw the first one a while ago but this one might be slightly better.

Ok Wow I am actually not in agreement with everyone. Usually I hate movies like Terminator 5 or the new Bill and Ted. But I don't see why everyone is shitting on this one. It wasn't the greatest movie ever, but for a super hero movie it was pretty decent. Alot better than the vast majority of tripe we have been seeing lately.

It was a bit long, but thats why it benefits from home viewing. You can control how you watch it. I would put it against any of the more recent marvel movies.

Major complaint for me was Wonder Woman moves so weired. Not sure if thats a stylistic choice or the special effects.

Saw the first one a while ago but this one might be slightly better.

No it was really shitty just usually ENJOYABLY shitty, literally every major character's story/arc is underdeveloped and feels rushed in a film that's still somehow too long.

Javthusiast

Banned
She came in late into Wonder Woman 1 production. Script was done, action scenes and vfx were done by people usually responsible for Snyder films etc. After the success she demanded way more control.

This sequel is the result. Rogue Squadron and WW3 hype dead, at least until I see finished products.

cryptoadam

Banned
No it was really shitty just usually ENJOYABLY shitty, literally every major character's story/arc is underdeveloped and feels rushed in a film that's still somehow too long.

Usually I agree and thought I would roll my eyes througout the movie, but I actually enjoyed it. Didn't really get to deep into the arcs etc, just enjoyed the movie for what it was.

Its not the greatest thing ever, but for a movie made after 2010 and in the woke SJW era its pretty good. Compared to dreck like T5 and Bill and Ted and Birds of Prey etc it might as well be 2001 or the Godfather LOL.

I will admit though I did FF a bit through it and took a break or 2 so I condensed the 2.5 hours into more like 100-120 minutes so maybe that helped.

Its no masterpiece but IMO it doesn't deserve the hate its getting. I was really expecting something a lot worse. Its just a brain off light hearted affair where you know pretty much everything thats going to happen but it gets there in a somewhat entertaining fashion.

Javthusiast

Banned
It is too long for what the plot is. Many dumb inconsistencies, plot holes. Way too little action and action that is there is poorly done and often includes terrible cgi. Repeats same fucking story beats regarding the relationship the first movie already was done with.

Top Bottom