• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Hype Check

Hello fellow WoW players - anyone coming back for Dragonflight? What you all feeling around here? Been in the Alpha since end of July and really liked of what I played over the course of the last few months and weeks.

Blizzard finally listening to feedback and were improving beta/state of the game ahead of launch as the release is drawing near. So far hearing much better reception from the fans compared to Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands alpha/beta stages.

I got my collectors edition today in the mail - I'll be keeping it sealed for collection purposes and just so I can support them. Will be getting the game for free from Blizzard digitally so I have no need to purchase it digitally on my own.

What are you all rolling for launch? I am sticking with my Tauren Prot Warrior on Horde and Alliance Kul Tiran Blood Death Knight.

GMb9vYe.jpg

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'll play through it with at least one character, probably my oldest one a troll hunter. Old enough to have one of the original PVP titles, a First Sergeant I think. I've been avoiding spoilers and did not sign for the beta this time, I want to go in totally fresh and just sink into it.

I'll play through it with at least one character, probably my oldest one a troll hunter. Old enough to have one of the original PVP titles, a First Sergeant I think. I've been avoiding spoilers and did not sign for the beta this time, I want to go in totally fresh and just sink into it.
You'll enjoy it man. Are you big into WoW lore? If so, there are some exciting stuff. It's classic Warcraft which I love and dragons are fun.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Can one fly right away?

If not I don't care. I know that sounds reductive and possibly even a bit childish, but I lost most interest in that MMO when they forced everyone to ride their old ground mounts until they were done with like 90% of the latest expansion and also had to score some silly achievement.

I honestly have no hype. I have played since 2004, and I keep thinking about quitting. I have also played FFXIV for launch, and FFXIV is superior in nearly every aspect, unless you enjoy the looser raid style of WoW versus the structured style of FFXIV.

I am disappointed that the classes are nearly the same as they were in Shadowbringers; that Dracthyr' have so many customization options and great looking spell effects, and I, as a Warlock, have a pathetic little pink/purple bolt for shadowbolt.

The UI overhaul lacks any sort of spirit.

The game, for a few expansions now, keeps getting to be more like a cell phone game, but then requires you to be raiding or doing m+ as the only viable means of end game; not sure we can even call PVP end game.

IDK, want to like the game, but it's hard to compared to what it once was.

Azzurri

Can one fly right away?

If not I don't care. I know that sounds reductive and possibly even a bit childish, but I lost most interest in that MMO when they forced everyone to ride their old ground mounts until they were done with like 90% of the latest expansion and also had to score some silly achievement.

You can, well sorta

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You can, well sorta

Wow. They've turned a mechanic they introduced to raging MMO fanfare around fifteen years ago into a sort-of gimmick in 2022.

No thanks Blizzard. Man how do they always miss the mark so vulgarly?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wow. They've turned a mechanic they introduced to raging MMO fanfare around fifteen years ago into a sort-of gimmick in 2022.

No thanks Blizzard. Man how do they always miss the mark so vulgarly?
There’s still normal flying. Dragonriding is just for the impatient people.

"I'm tired chief"...

As always I will play this expansion.... It's been 15 years but I can't stop yet.

I just hope it won't be shit like BFA and SL...

Why would I be hyped for what is probably another shitty expansion in a series of shittier and shittier expansions? WoW peaked in MoP and has been on a steady downward decline ever since. Modern Blizzard doesnt' know how to make good games.

Last edited:

Kacho

Will watch some Asmongold videos after the shine wears off.

I’ve been off the hamster wheel since Mists and I’m glad. The game has progressively gotten worse since then and absolutely nothing about Dragonflight looks compelling.

hinch7

No hype after Shadowlands. The whole Furry-like dragon looking characters are offputting as well.

Got my fill from Classic with Wrath. Unsubbed, and see no reason to resub.

Salz01

I subbed into wow for a bit and was immediately burned out after a couple of quests. The quest system is just the grindiest shit now. I think my time with wow has come to and end. Now if they had player housing like Star Wars Galaxies had…. Maybe I’d come back.

Can one fly right away?

Yes, the dragon riding system is incredible. You need to do a few quests and then you unlock it. It's part of the main story in the first new zone. Not an achievement or anything, it's a whole dedicated feature that's very well dome. Think Anthem flying but in World of Warcraft.

Last edited:
As hyped as I can be for wow, the new flying physics are going to make traveling wayy more fun. Plus I fuckin love dragons.

I'll play it off and on for a month or two with my bestie that loves mmo's but the next few months are packed with bangers

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't hope for it, because I hope everyone has a good time including the ~20 people on my Discord server who are gonna play it hard, but I honestly think it feels like the single laziest expansion they've come up. Out of ideas to the point where we're beyond doing "hey what if the Alliance and Horde fought?!" and then resurrecting dead famous characters or whatever happened in Shadowlands, and now we're on to "I dunno, dragons I guess"?

I really do believe this will be the final "expansion" for WoW as we know it. When the acquisition goes through I think WoW will be rolled into Game Pass subs and turned into a live service game with a slow, steady drip feed of content. Levelling has been completely meaningless in WoW for a very long time anyway, just be done with it and have new raid and gear tiers every so often with a much smaller power creep.

Freeman76

Can one fly right away?

This 100%

I played Wow for 3k plus hours since release, at points absolutely loved it and played nothing else.

That mechanic is was put me off. Its blatantly so you cant rip through the content too fast, and to slow your progress. Smoke and mirrors to make it last longer.

IMO Pandaria was the best time in wow. The Timeless Isle was so good, and they really nailed a vibe that kept me interested for months. After that it has never reached those heights again.

Mess

No hype at all.

I'm enjoying WOTLK CLassic atm and have no interest at all in modern WoW which is telling on how highly I think of modern Blizz I guess.

Cyberpunkd

I was heavily considering going back to play from time to time. 15€ per month is nothing if it's the only game you play.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm excited to try out the Dracthyr. I hate how derpy they look but I've always been a fan of Wizards of the Coast's Draconians and this is Blizzard's spin on the Draconian Mage.

Probably going to end up playing a Warlock or Demon Hunter tho as a main.

Imma probably put FFXIV on the backburner since they absolutely fucked the combat in Endwalker.

Something to play at my own pace considering I only played a bit around BfA launch and never really did a whole lot so I have the entirety of WoW to explore.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'm excited but not as excited as I usually am. I've been super busy though. Also the current pre patch is more of a pre pre patch. We don't get dracthyr till the 15th. So I'll be playing then. Level a evoker and set new ui up.

Hopefully this is a good expansion but I haven't played since Cataclysm.

I guess wow is still doing numbers.

I heard there's going to be a League of Legends MMO and when and if that happens I imagine there's going to be a lot of people flocking to that and that's going to end up being the number one MMO. Apparently the regular League of Legends is one of the most played online games of all.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
My hype for anything wow related died years ago.

I played bfa, I found that fun, but skipped shadow lands despite getting the expansion for free.

Theres just too many food b2p mmorpgs to justify wow's subscription.

Even with their slow input between expansions.

Kenpachii

wow hasn't been interesting to me since forever. Classic was kinda fun until u realized how mismanaged it was. TBC i had no interest in leveling another character up to 70 so bailed on that. WOTLK was dog shit, so no interest in.

New expansions are terrible from wow, its not even wow anymore really. Classes feel complete alien towards what the game originally was.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, fuck. My ENTIRE Discord is playing so I'm not gonna say no. At least half don't even really want to play but WoW is just too good with 4-many friends to ignore. Even the classic/private server weirdos like me are in. Guess I am too.

Top Bottom