• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's most boring person discovered by researchers at Univeristy of Essex

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

The most boring person in the world has been revealed by University of Essex research - and it is a religious data entry worker, who likes watching TV, and lives in a town.
The study into the science of boredom has uncovered the jobs, characteristics, and hobbies that are considered a stereotypical snooze.
After examining more than 500 people across five experiments researchers found the blandest jobs are seen as data analysis, accounting, cleaning and banking.
The paper – published in Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin – also discovered the dullest hobbies were seen to be religion, watching TV, bird watching and smoking.
Boring people were also perceived to shun large settlements to live in small cities and towns
Led by the Department of Psychology’s Dr Wijnand Van Tilburg the research revealed that stereotypically boring people are generally disliked and avoided due to preconceptions.
And people may expect to be paid a minimum of £35-a-day to spend time with them as recompense.
He launched the study to explore the stigma of perceived boredom and how it can impact on perceptions.
He said: “The irony is studying boredom is actually very interesting and has many real-life impacts.
“These paper shows how persuasive perceptions of boredom are and what an impact this can have on people.
“Perceptions can change but people may not take time to speak to those with ‘boring’ jobs and hobbies, instead choosing to avoid them.
“They don’t get a chance to prove people wrong and break these negative stereotypes.
“The very fact that people choose to avoid them can lead to social ostracization and increase loneliness leading to a really negative impact on their lives.”
The study also showed that being perceived as boring likely conveys low competence and low interpersonal warmth.
Those perceived as boring may thus be at greater risk of harm, addiction and mental health issues.
And despite the negative perception society needs people to perform roles such as accounting and banking.
“It was interesting to me to see the study showed that boring people were not seen as competent,” said Dr Van Tilburg.
“I would have thought that accountants would be seen as boring, but effective and the perfect person to do a good job on your tax return.
“The truth of the matter is people like bankers and accountants are highly capable and have power in society - perhaps we should try not to upset them and stereotype them as boring!”

The top five most boring jobs
1.) Data Analysis
2.) Accounting
3.) Tax/insurance
4.) Cleaning
5.) Banking

The top five most exciting jobs
1.) Performing arts
2.) Science
3.) Journalism
4.) Health professional
5.) Teaching

The top five most boring hobbies
1.) Sleeping
2.) Religion
3.) Watching TV
4.) Observing animals
5.) Mathematics

Link to the paper:

The top five most boring hobbies
1.) Sleeping
interesting-batman.gif

Mistake

Lots of Chinese exchange students at university listed eating and sleeping as hobbies.
Yeah, it’s a cultural thing. Still didn’t stop me from rolling my eyes when a girl says that’s what she does for fun. So I’d reply “alright, well what do you like when you’re awake?” :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I’m surprised guards or security jobs didn’t make the list. Those have high turnover for being super boring

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Data Analysis is not a boring job, and Mathematics is not a boring hobby.

I do a lot of data analysis and mathematics research in my spare time to make informed investment decisions in the stock market, crypto trades, and other areas of my life. Investing is the best “game” I’ve ever played. This hobby has contributed massively to my wealth and the sense of excitement and stress associated with holding investment positions until maturity is something else. In fact, it has ruined other hobbies for me such as video games, which rarely make me feel anything in comparison.

Also, it is not an anti social hobby either. There is a huge community out there of people who invest as a hobby too. Whoever wrote that article has very little imagination.

Last edited:
Data Analysis is not a boring job, and Mathematics is not a boring hobby.
It has been well documented that U.S. math scores have been getting lower and lower compared to the rest of the world each year, so it makes sense that most people loathe mathematics if you're from the United States. Whenever someone asked me what my favorite subject was in high school and I said math, they were either surprised or genuinely asked 'why' like they didn't believe me.

Yeah, it’s a cultural thing. Still didn’t stop me from rolling my eyes when a girl says that’s what she does for fun. So I’d reply “alright, well what do you like when you’re awake?” :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I’m surprised guards or security jobs didn’t make the list. Those have high turnover for being super boring
I assume she had to think about it. In the future we shall recommend breathing as a suitable response.

Top Bottom