• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide PC market had ‘sharpest decline in 9 years’ in second quarter of 2022

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new report, the company said PC shipments totalled 72 million units in Q2, representing a 12.6% decline from the same period in 2021.

It said the PC market’s sharpest decline in almost a decade was driven by geopolitical, economic and supply chain challenges affecting all regional markets.

The EMEA PC market experienced the biggest decline in PC shipments with a decline of 18%, followed by the US, where shipments fell 17.5%.

“The decline we saw in the first quarter of 2022 has accelerated in the second quarter, driven by the ongoing geopolitical instability caused by the Russian Invasion of Ukraine, inflationary pressure on spending and a steep downturn in demand for Chromebooks,” said Mikako Kitagawa, research director at Gartner.

“Supply chain disruptions also continued, but the major cause of PC delivery delays changed from component shortages to logistics disruptions. Enterprise buyers continued to experience longer PC delivery times than usual, but the lead times began to improve by the end of the second quarter, partially because key cities in China reopened in the middle of the quarter.

“To maintain profits as inflation increases costs, the PC industry is having to raise average selling prices (ASPs) despite weakening demand,” Kitagawa said.

“The reduction in the mix of PCs from Chromebooks, which tend to have low price points, and shift to premium products also helped increase the average ASP. However, an increase in inventory, especially in the consumer channel, could cause an ASP decline as vendors will try to lower inventory.”

Sales decline during a pandemic and limited inventory. Really shocking stuff.

screaming-omg.gif

RyRy93

So the market took a sharper decline than any quarter in the last few years despite the fact that it was already struggling due to COVID? Is PC gaming dead? Yes

So the market took a sharper decline than any quarter in the last few years despite the fact that it was already struggling due to COVID? Is PC gaming dead? Yes
First, this is all PCs, not just gaming PCs.

Secondly, struggling due to COVID? Completely the opposite. The pandemic causes a significant increase in shipment volumes as people started working from home.

reksveks

Hmm, what is the market? PC gaming or consumer pc shipments. You do understand that they aren't the same thing.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I;m not surprised, and it's a combination of reasons, high prices for hardware and software, lack of top new games that are now tied to console, Microsoft wanting too much control with their newer OS, i get far more problems with my 10 partition than 7 and i just don't want to use 11 or even 12 when it arrives, it's not fun anymore its a headache lol.

Reactions: Fuz

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Probably the usual PC hardware price skyrocketed even further due to covid, which turns alot of people off, especially those who plans to upgrade.

reksveks

The U.S. PC market declined 17.5% in the second quarter of 2022. Although the market experienced shipment growth in both desktop PCs and laptops (excluding Chromebooks), this growth was offset by a 50% year-over-year decline in Chromebook shipments
EMEA also experienced a 20% decline in laptop shipments, while Chromebook shipments declined over 50% year-over-year. This is the result of overall sluggish demand from consumers across many countries in EMEA, struggling with price increases across many products, especially fuel and energy.
From the source above so basically chromebook shipments which peaked in the pandemic basically shat the bed across the globe.

- Desktop grew in US and EMEA (EMEA has to be up since the total decline is less than the decline in laptop and chromebook, need to double check that)
- Chromebook down 50% in US and EMEA
- Laptop up in the US and down in EMEA

reksveks

I;m not surprised, and it's a combination of reasons, high prices for hardware and software, lack of top new games that are now tied to console, Microsoft wanting too much control with their newer OS, i get far more problems with my 10 partition than 7 and i just don't want to use 11 or even 12 when it arrives, it's not fun anymore its a headache lol.
See my post above for the reasons, no evidence it's about Windows 11.

Laptop1991

See my post above for the reasons, no evidence it's about Windows 11.

They are my reasons and opinion, you must have forgotten the ads that were showing up in people's files and folders a few months ago in 11, that MS claimed was a mistake do you really think that helps promote an OS.

reksveks

They are my reasons and opinion, you must have forgotten the ads that were showing up in people's files and folders a few months ago in 11, that MS claimed was a mistake do you really think that helps promote an OS.
They are your reasons for personally not buying a pc but not really the likely reasons for the decline of the pc shipments which this thread is about.

Again, this shitty things that MS does in Windows 11, doesn't seem to be relevant based on the data that we have so far.

Laptop1991

They are your reasons for personally not buying a pc but not really the likely reasons for the decline of the pc shipments which this thread is about.

Again, this shitty things that MS does in Windows 11, doesn't seem to be relevant based on the data that we have so far.

Never said it wasn't, but i don't think its the only reason, maybe your right, but thats a sharp decline.

Duchess

Several reasons here.

1. People starting to do away with their laptops when they got smartphones and tablets, thinking they didn't need them anymore.
2. During COVID lockdowns, they bought laptops in their droves, to help with family stuff (you all likely heard the stories of four children having to share an iPhone to do their school lessons, while all in different classes..!)
3. Stupidly, now that the major COVID threat is over with, people are once again neglecting buying dedicated computer hardware ...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Microsoft wanting too much control with their newer OS
windows 10 still dominates the market so that's clearly not even an issue for most people since we can't even upgrade to begin with. 11 isn't exactly a good OS... that's why people aren't using it lmfao

also, to everyone who thinks Linux will see this massive jump in userbase when Windows 10 goes EOL... just know yall motherfuckers said the exact same thing about windows 7

Laptop1991

windows 10 still dominates the market so that's clearly not even an issue for most people since we can't even upgrade to begin with. 11 isn't exactly a good OS... that's why people aren't using it lmfao

also, to everyone who thinks Linux will see this massive jump in userbase when Windows 10 goes EOL... just know yall motherfuckers said the exact same thing about windows 7

No Linux won't agreed, MS has it sewn up really, i had trouble with 10 yesterday doing an update lol, i never had that much trouble with 7 i have with 10 personally, but i have no desire to try 11 and god knows what 12 is going to be like, and seeing as 10 is basically free mostly and what few games come out are OS dependent on it, i'm not surprised its the number 1 now, but i remember the forced upgrade, and the TPM chip etc, and it just puts me off using them, isnt Nadella the guy who ruined Nokia's domination lol.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is not to do with pc gaming.

If we use some common sense we would all know this has nothing to do with the gaming segment. Saying that, everything is down vs 2021.

PCs and consoles.

reksveks

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Nokia was dying since they decided to try and compete with Android instead of jumping onboard. The decision to go exclusive to Windows Phone basically killed them (that was made basically a year before they got bought)

Yeah, i knew a couple of people with Windows Phones, not as open source as Android, and thats what i don't like about the new OS, if they are too controlled.

XP: Good
Vista: Blew
Windows 7: Good
Windows 8: Blew
Windows 10: Good
Windows 11: Blew

You know that Windows 12 will end up being another course correction OS like Windows 10 was, which will make it a popular OS for another 10 years. "See, we don't suck this time." Windows is like the old Star Trek movies. Every other one has to blow.

jigglet

Banned
Can we cut it with this shit, stocks declining, sales declining, we just came out of a pandemic that had everyone at home consuming epic amounts of content, while half the white collar world had to buy hardware to continue working from home.

People who take this shit seriously should never get into investing or anything to do with stats, cause obviously you have no sense of perspective. I've seen anti-vaxxers who can read stats better than some people (ok, well that's an exaggeration).

Compare apples with apples people. Numbers from the last 2 years should not be extrapolated.

Last edited:

Karamina

Neo Member
XP: Good
Vista: Blew
Windows 7: Good
Windows 8: Blew
Windows 10: Good
Windows 11: Blew

You know that Windows 12 will end up being another course correction OS like Windows 10 was, which will make it a popular OS for another 10 years. "See, we don't suck this time." Windows is like the old Star Trek movies. Every other one has to blow.
Win 12 is in rumor for 2024 btw

winjer

Gold Member
Of course there is a decline. We just had 2 years of unprecedented demand for hardware.
With covid restrictions, people and companies spent a lot of money in hardware for the home, an this included PCs.
At the same time we had miners buying up all GPUs at exorbitant prices.

So with the crypto crash and with covid restrictions gone, things are getting back to normal. Demand crashed and stock is still high.
And miners are flooding the market with used GPUs.
Unlike what some idiots said in this thread, this is not PC gaming dying. It's just the whole market getting back to normal values.
And of course, this also affects consoles. With less demand in other areas, there is more waffers left to be made into console chips.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

No Linux won't agreed, MS has it sewn up really, i had trouble with 10 yesterday doing an update lol, i never had that much trouble with 7 i have with 10 personally, but i have no desire to try 11 and god knows what 12 is going to be like, and seeing as 10 is basically free mostly and what few games come out are OS dependent on it, i'm not surprised its the number 1 now, but i remember the forced upgrade, and the TPM chip etc, and it just puts me off using them, isnt Nadella the guy who ruined Nokia's domination lol.
I'm sorry but the problem sounds like you.

Purchase your license next time that solves a lot of issues.

How can people say its shit if they can't upgrade to?

You do realise the low adaption of Windows 11 is because of the redicolous demand of tpm 2 which not many people have?

But no, Windows 11 bad.

I upgraded from 10 to 11 my self. I don't really see the big difference between 10 and 11. Yes you have a new UI to get used to.

Besides that I don't feel any big difference.

Laptop1991

I'm sorry but the problem sounds like you.

Purchase your license next time that solves a lot of issues.

You do realise the low adaption of Windows 11 is because of the redicolous demand of tpm 2 which not many people have?

But no, Windows 11 bad.

I upgraded from 10 to 11 my self. I don't really see the big difference between 10 and 11. Yes you have a new UI to get used to.

Besides that I don't feel any big difference.

What!, i do have a license, i own legit versions of windows 7 and 8, so my 10 is legit as its activated, stop talking nonsense, what, don't like your precious OS being criticized.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What!, i do have a license, i own legit versions of windows 7 and 8, so my 10 is legit as its activated, stop talking nonsense, what, don't like your precious OS being criticized.
I have had Windows 10 since release on 2 gaming computers thats being used daily, and a laptop for heavy work, never seen issues like yours.

Save your fanboy crap about OS man lol that's a pathetic way of hiding user errors.

Laptop1991

I have had Windows 10 since release on 2 gaming computers thats being used daily, and a laptop for heavy work, never seen issues like yours.

Save your fanboy crap about OS man lol that's a pathetic way of hiding user errors.

Your the fan boy, and if your saying newer versions of windows 10 dont have update problems then you obviously don't read the internet much, go waste someone else;s time, no need for your attitude

JackSparr0w

Banned
Several reasons here.

1. People starting to do away with their laptops when they got smartphones and tablets, thinking they didn't need them anymore.
2. During COVID lockdowns, they bought laptops in their droves, to help with family stuff (you all likely heard the stories of four children having to share an iPhone to do their school lessons, while all in different classes..!)
3. Stupidly, now that the major COVID threat is over with, people are once again neglecting buying dedicated computer hardware ...
Computer illiteracy is rampant among very young people. We're going to have a generation of social media tik-tokers that are good for nothing.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I'm building my first PC right now, yeah it's only mid spec, but I've managed to build it rather cheaply honestly.

£266 for an RTX 2060 12GB
£113 for an i5 11400f
£80 for a B560 Tomahawk WiFi mobo
£64 for 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR 3600Mhz
£34 for an MSI MAG FORGE 100R tower
and so on...

I wouldve got a 7000Mhz speed 1TB WD SSD for £70ish, but PS5 owners have driven those prices up loads, but I should be able to still get a different brand for a fraction of what they cost mere months ago.

It helps I don't pay VAT here in Jersey :p

All in, my PC will cost £700, not bad considering it'll happily play games at 1440p60 in most cases and that's not to mention all of the other myriad of uses you get out of a PC! (games consoles are so limiting!)

Yeah maybe some might say I should've gotten a 3060 or above, but the price jumped up insanely high, but the performance didn't.

Everything I bought has either sold out since I got it, or jumped up in price though...so don't rush into buying parts, add several similar parts to your wishlist and keep a close watch for sales etc.

RespawnX

Mining boom is over and world is on the edge of a economic crisis. Of course people are avoiding luxury articles and saving money. Small minority who really considers to buy GPUs for 800 bucks or so. That’s basically feeds a family for weeks.

I guess it's a Covid thing, but another major problem at the moment is: no games. All this tech and very few games to take advantage of it, so what's the point of upgrading?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

That's like, one of the major reasons why people consider Windows 11 to be so bad lmao
plus the worse UI (even if it looks better the mobile start menu is awful) the push to use microsoft services exclusively, and the decreased compatilibty for older apps (which i've heard through people's other personal experiences)

Top Bottom