• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide PC market had ‘sharpest decline in 9 years’ in second quarter of 2022

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Animation Fall GIF by darkbean

Actually, the pandemic led to a boost in demand for PC.
It pays to read the article first.
I already know more than the person who wrote the article. Yeah, it's pretty obvious. During the pandemic, people ended up working from home so everyone was buying workstations for workers or students at schools that needed to get a ton of tablets out to people. Now that people are going back, they're not getting the orders they were, and given that there are still supply chain shortages, sales are going down. Wow, quantum physics.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
First, this is all PCs, not just gaming PCs.

Secondly, struggling due to COVID? Completely the opposite. The pandemic causes a significant increase in shipment volumes as people started working from home.
Which also means a lot of the PCs out there are only 2 years old. There is always some kind of decline after a surge. With all the hiring I am curious how many of those jobs require companies to proved a new laptop. I hope companies aren't cheap assholes like my first employer, intel, who gave new employees refurbed laptops that would crash.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There is always lag in datasets. GPU availability is the main reason behind this data. The datasheet will improve in a snap.

That's not what the report says at all. This isn't about enthusiast gaming PCs, but PCs in general. Most of them don't have RTX 30XX GPUs.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Chromebook?
Does anyone use these with a straight face?
Apart from schools, why wouldn't people use them? A cheap laptop to do everything you could do on your phone but with a larger screen and a keyboard. People that just want email and online shopping should be using these things over shitty phones with shitty touch UIs. Not everyone needs to use a PC. I try to convince my dad to get a Chromebook but he keeps blowing money on fucking Apple laptops and all he does is shop and watch how to videos with the thing.

yamaci17

market needs a new cheap, affordable console killer like the gtx 1060
rtx 4060 may be that, but it needs to be priced aggresively oriented towards budget builds. 3060 is definetely not that. it is overpricey
gtx 760-960 presence took a very quick dive once 1060 was in the market. people flocked to these cards. nowadays nvidia is not producing cards that budget people can flock to. naturally some of them went for 2060 and most of them will stay at 1060

Last edited:

BlackTron

No Linux won't agreed, MS has it sewn up really, i had trouble with 10 yesterday doing an update lol, i never had that much trouble with 7 i have with 10 personally, but i have no desire to try 11 and god knows what 12 is going to be like, and seeing as 10 is basically free mostly and what few games come out are OS dependent on it, i'm not surprised its the number 1 now, but i remember the forced upgrade, and the TPM chip etc, and it just puts me off using them, isnt Nadella the guy who ruined Nokia's domination lol.

I still use 7 lol. I have 10 on another SSD I can swap in just in case I need it, but in practice the only thing I've used it for in the past 2 years was to try out Halo Infinite before getting a Series.

10 is a huge annoyance for me and I can't even take them seriously adding ads to File Explorer in 11 lol. As a new product Windows is pretty much dead to me.

Laptop1991

I still use 7 lol. I have 10 on another SSD I can swap in just in case I need it, but in practice the only thing I've used it for in the past 2 years was to try out Halo Infinite before getting a Series.

10 is a huge annoyance for me and I can't even take them seriously adding ads to File Explorer in 11 lol. As a new product Windows is pretty much dead to me.

Yeah i'm the same, i'm used to having control and i just haven't got much with the newer ones it does what it wants, not what i want a lot, lol, if only there was a serious alternative to Windows, they would get quite a bit of support i think.

Top Bottom