• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game of 2021

Jaysen

Banned
Destruction Allstars, a game I hated for free, and Sony at one point thought it was worth 70 dollars. Get fucked.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
OH, New World. How did I forget New World.

One of the worst MMO launches in history? Players able to make themselves invincible by dragging the game window around, item/gold dupes, auction house being shut off multiple times because items were getting destroyed in transit, bricking 3090s because the devs forgot to limit the menu framerate, 90% of the player base quit. What a disaster.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Oh i don't know, fried turds looks pretty tasty

main-qimg-957d21bb20e622d9c3d8383bc505e578-c
well-youre-not-wrong-gif-9.gif

Balan Wonderworld is the correct answer. The demo alone felt like torture. I'd rather try playing a VR game with a PS Move up my ass than spend an hour with that game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to its rankings (minus any titles with fewer than 7 reviews), the worst scored game of the year was Konami’s free-to-play football reboot eFootball 2022, which has been widely panned since its launched in September for buggy performance and missing features.

Other notable releases on the list include Square Enix’s Balan Wonderworld. The Yuji Naka platformer released in March to overwhelmingly negative reviews, with the game’s Metacritic score currently ranging from 36 to 51. Commercially, the title appears to have been just as disappointing.

Another game to suffer a rocky launch, Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – Definitive Edition also makes the list.

The highly anticipated remaster collection released in November with a significant number of technical issues, as well as “unintended” documents within its game files such as unlicensed music and developer notes.

Rockstar subsequently apologised to fans for the state of the game and promised a series of updates to improve the title.

For the purposes of this list, we’ve averaged the difference between the metascores of multiplatform games.

THE WORST REVIEWED GAMES OF 2021​

• 1. EFootball 2022 (Multi) – 25
  • 2. Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood (PS4) – 42
  • 3. Balan Wonderworld (Multi) – 44*
  • 3. Of Bird and Cage (PC) – 44
  • 4. Demon Skin (PC) – 48
  • 5. PixelJunk Raiders (Stadia) – 49
  • 5. The Unexpected Quest (Multi) – 49
  • 6. Taxi Chaos (Multi) – 51*
  • 7. Akiba’s Trip: Hellbound & Debriefed (Multi) – 52
  • 8. Arkham Horror: Mother’s Embrace (Multi) – 53*
  • 8. GTA: The Trilogy – Definitive Edition (Multi) – 53*
  • 9. Necromunda: Hired Gun (Multi) – 55*
*Multiplatform scores averaged

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Well, we all know who the true winner is, but how soon everyone forgets, alongside AAA overhyped games, I would like to offer the train wreck of Magic: Legends. Another Epic exclusive hype that had grand opening and grand closing in less than 6 months.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, we all know who the true winner is, but how soon everyone forgets, alongside AAA overhyped games, I would like to offer the train wreck of Magic: Legends. Another Epic exclusive hype that had grand opening and grand closing in less than 6 months.
I forgot about that dumpster fire. Damn.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Metroid Dread. Here, I said it. I can't comprehend as to how, why and for whom there's so many really bad and not traditional Metroid-like gameplay and design decisions in this game. It's the most disapponting Metroid game I've played ever in terms of design and gameplay. It's just does not feel like a true Metroid game for me, the one I'd like to play, the one I will replay a lot (if even finish once) and the one I will remember as one of the best games in the series. FFS, story as Samus aside, Other M is a way better Metroid game, even considering the fact that it's more linear.

Godfuckin'damn you MercurySteam.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played a truly bad game this year... I guess Serious Sam 4 is the worst of the bunch. At first I thought it was total crap, but I gave it another chance and those huge battles are still as fun as ever... but still its a flawed experience and the series needs an overhaul. It's essentially SS3 again. It lacks creativity. Leveldesign is mediocre (too samey, set pieces aren't that interesting). And technically its not amazing either (lots of pop in, framerate is so-so). Whats good is the the variety of weapons and enemies (nothing really new if you played another Serious Sam before, but the weapon-/enemy variety is still better than in most shooters), which makes the combat really enjoyable. Overall its an okay game. The worst in the mainline series. Still fun if you like arena style shooters.

Top Bottom