• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Unreal Engine 5 "remake" videos, as presented by GmanLives

Drizzlehell

Banned

Been noticing more and more of this crap recently so I'm glad someone took to scrutinizing these videos because some of them look hilariously bad (okay, most of them... okay, ALL of them). And what's even more annoying is how people have been passing these videos around as if it was something that we should be impressed with.

I originally wanted to post a thread about the worst examples of this trend in your opinion but honestly, you might as well just link to the entire channels on YouTube that do this and call it a day. So, instead of that, let's just unite in common cathartic hatred for it.

I try to catch all of GmanLives vids. I appreciate the way he speaks his mind, even his favorite games are not free from criticism. Will be interesting to hear his take as I've noticed these kinds of vids in my feed lately and usually they are a waste of time.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm not familiar with this guy, but he's pretty insightful, huh? Called out some really specific trends and goofs in those videos that tickled me. I'm gonna have to add him to my rotation.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
low budget UE4/5 remakes with shitty artistic direction will never compare to a proper remake made by dozens of talented people who actually have respect for the source material besides using the nostalgia to gain internet points.

Back when i saw these for the first time i always thought they looked pretty but played like shit. Nowdays they both look like shit and play like shit. one of the worst examples i've seen is that Ocarina of Time remake by CryzenX

Environments despite looking detailed at a glance are in reality really low poly structures covered in high res textures, grass and materials so it looks 'good' to an unsuspecting 30 year old. In reality it's not much more geometrically dense than a GameCube game. Once you notice the low poly structures, the illusion breaks and the game reveals itself for what it truly is.

The animations are.... they're fucking awful. some of the JANKIEST, most LOW EFFORT awful animations i've ever seen. Hardly anyone feels like they're part of the environment, shit is always clipping or floating in mid air, and everybody moves in this robotic, computer cadence that makes everything look terrible, there's no sense of timing, suspense, weight, nothing. Shit just happens on the fly and you barely even notice it. These are worse animations than the 1998 original. They would have barely been acceptable back then, and surely dated looking not even a year later

Link's skin color is all over the place, sometimes it's blue, sometimes it's yellow, sometimes it's green. The lighting is so fucking harsh it effects his skin's hue drastically. This shit lighting is so fucking BRIGHT it blinds my eyes. I've heard of oversaturation, but this game is genuinely taking it too far.

Honestly i think the worst thing is the translation... Ocarina of Time was a game made by a Japanese game company in 1998. That somehow has a better english script than a modern remake in 2022 that has the original game's english script to work off of. Text is all over the place and flows worse than a foreigner learning the language for the first time. The original zelda games didn't have great translations but they were DECENT. This is just an awful script. No one should go through the dismay of seeing that shit and having to decipher what it means.

I don't like Ocarina of Time's visuals, i find them dated, blocky, smudged and ugly, with a low framerate to top it off. But HOLY SHIT this is somehow even worse.

I saw a few of them before, and look terrible. I understand they do a low effort for clicks and money. I mean, if people like this, then there will be always a market.

Top Bottom