• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worth getting a Series X if I already have a Series S?

As others have suggested you should sell your S to part finance the X. The extra resolution matters more with larger screen sizes.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Keep your series s to the bedroom, and keep series x in the living room.

I use a 1440p monitor, so could technically use the series s, but I want the improved bc and bigger hard drive, don't care about the disc drive.

Also if you should be short on money, xbox all access makes you get your Xbox with GPU without any interest.

Last edited:

avin

I would suggest you not sell your S if you don't have to, at least initially. That way, you can compare your new X and S side by side. I have both myself, and without that, I wouldn't clearly know they were different. I'm sure it's different for different people, though.

avin

Last edited:

Mercador

I have an X and considering getting a S for the other TV despite I can access it with my PC via HDMI, gaming on Windows on a second screen is somewhat a pain with Xbox app.

Mr Moose

I don't have a Xbox but yes, I would say so.
It's much more powerful, has disc drive and twice the SSD space. Those Xbox external SSDs ain't cheap.

reinking

Gold Member
Have both and I love both. X in the living room and S in my bedroom. It’s a thing of beauty
1080p tv in the bedroom?

I have never been big on dumbing down my bedroom TV/consoles unless there is good reason. I prefer to have as good, if not better, experience in the bedroom. Then again, I am lazy and have an awesome "don't need to get out of bed" setup for those days I can take advantage of them. It will also work when I am too old to get out of bed. :)

The mid gen refresh this time around is going to be very powerful consider RDNA3 and future RDNA4 architecture, and we know that Microsoft never back down in terms of raw power. Main while for those that had a Series S just need to "endure" for around 2 years
It’s not coming till 2024 at minumum so you would hope it’s using rdna 4 and not rdna 3

Same. And Microsoft is most likely to be the first to offer a mid gen refresh because they were "late" in the last gen to do it.
I was actually considering getting a series x cause I haven’t owned an Xbox since rhe 360 and target has a student deal but if there is a mid Gen refresh it might be better to wait. Would be awesome if they offer it in an assortment of colors

Absolutely not. Complete waste of money. CPU is about the same and that is what matters

We are still in cross-gen the 12TFlops would be for show

I have the money and wont get a Series X because its pointless by the time that level of power is truly being used a refresh with a better CPU will be out
I dont own a series x or ps5 (the latter cause i hate the white and am waiting for different colors) i would kill to know when the mid Gen refresh is coming if it comes in 2024 I’ll wait for it but it’s coming out in 2025 or later id be better off buying now and selling

But the problem is that with covid this gen is slower than the last one. I don't see Microsoft go from Xbox one to a "pro" version and no game made with the Series X as a baseline. The message would be hard to pass.
"Thank you for buying a Series X, but all our next gen will be made with the XXX in mind. Sorry:messenger_sunglasses:"
Sony have the PSVR 2 to sell and already have a few PS5 only games so they can afford to take their time. But Microsoft needs to have at least 1 or 2 hits before they can think about the refresh imo. And it would be hard to convince all the studios they have just bought to change their ambitions so fast. So 2 years seem premature to me. And 3 or more would be too late because Sony woud be ideally placed to make his pro version and Nintendo by then would be well in the Switch 2 life. I hope they launch first to put pressure on Sony.
I don’t see the switch 2 coming till 2024 so it won’t be well into its life at that point

I doubt there will be an upgraded midgen refresh, a die shrink refresh maybe.
What reason do they have to do midgen refreshes?
Lastgen needed refreshes because 4K blew up mid generation and they needed consoles that could actually utilize these 4K TVs.
This gen the consoles are bleeding edge, they already have HDMI 2.1, they are 4K120 capable we havent really seen them sweat heck half(90%) of the first party developers havent actually made nextgen only games.
I suspect when hdmi 2.2 comes out besides pushing 8k (although I personally think it’s stupid) they may want 240hz support on the midgen refresh (and not cause most games will run at that framerate but so it can give more output options like 80fps modes becoming the new 40fps we have currently on 120hz output) design alterations can be done etc

For Sony the PS4 pro was about player retention. And it helped with PSVR. I think that they had moderate sucess with it. Good sales and players got up to 4 years of games that were better on it( Horizon Zero Dawn, TLOU2...). For Microsoft it was about winning back theirs fans after a disastrous Xbox One launch. They choose to let Sony go 1 year early and be sure to loose all possible sales comparisons with the Pro and put the best console they could. This is really one of the best moves Spencer did.
Now both have this precedent looming over their heads. Can Microsoft allow Sony to go first again ? Can Sony not make a PS5 Pro and be suprised by Microsoft when they do one ?
It is true that few games use the power of the new consoles. But like last generation Sony could use a Pro version to help with PSVR2, and make players that want to go PC to stay longer. And a PS5 Pro would not be too costly and help with Raytracing and make a 4k60 easier for Sony 1rst party teams. They have the PS4 Pro data to know if that move helped them or not after all.
For Microsoft they need the "power" argument in my opinion. And so can't afford to be beaten again if Sony do a PS5 Pro. Is a mid gen refresh a certainty or a necessity? Of course not. But if one does it and the other do not they have all to win and nothing to loose( expect money but right now both are pretty good). Sony had to propose a Gamepass equivalent. So I can see it happen the same way for the mid gen refresh : one does it and the other have to follow.
A ps5 pro could offer 8k support in things like platformers, fighting games, and indies you know the simpler titles maybe 240hz support (hopefully hdmi 2.2 comes out in 2024) the push for uncapped framerate in vrr can heavily benefit a ps5 pro that can better saturate the Max target etc

On a good OLED tv the upgrade to the Series X is definitely worth it. Not only are resolutions greatly improved but many games can take advantage of higher frame rates.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I suspect when hdmi 2.2 comes out besides pushing 8k (although I personally think it’s stupid) they may want 240hz support on the midgen refresh (and not cause most games will run at that framerate but so it can give more output options like 80fps modes becoming the new 40fps we have currently on 120hz output) design alterations can be done etc
By the time 8K TVs are thing....like actually a thing people buy, every panel in 4K TVs will be VRR capable.
80Hz wouldnt be a problem.
It doesnt even make much sense, just do what Sony studios do and have a 60fps mode, if you have a VRR display, have an unlock toggle so you can go above 60.
Hell if you want call it the HFR mode and just have the fps go as high as it can if can reach 120 good, if it floats around 80 so be it.

Also for the record.
HDMI 2.1 can do 8K60 already, and no the refresh systems wont be powerful enough drive 8K120.
TVs arent going to be hunting 240 or 360Hz panels so consoles arent gonna bother either.....but they can through HDMI 2.1 if need be.

There currently is no incentive to make a midgen refresh.
Hell Sony just upped the price of their PS5s and MS havent even hinted at a price drop.

Which means the refresh either comes at ~800 dollars or they are a long long long way off.

tommib

I can't imagine how bad Starfield is going to run on the S. Actually I can, I finished Skyrim on Ps3.
war platoon GIF

By the time 8K TVs are thing....like actually a thing people buy, every panel in 4K TVs will be VRR capable.
80Hz wouldnt be a problem.
It doesnt even make much sense, just do what Sony studios do and have a 60fps mode, if you have a VRR display, have an unlock toggle so you can go above 60.
Hell if you want call it the HFR mode and just have the fps go as high as it can if can reach 120 good, if it floats around 80 so be it.

Also for the record.
HDMI 2.1 can do 8K60 already, and no the refresh systems wont be powerful enough drive 8K120.
TVs arent going to be hunting 240 or 360Hz panels so consoles arent gonna bother either.....but they can through HDMI 2.1 if need be.

There currently is no incentive to make a midgen refresh.
Hell Sony just upped the price of their PS5s and MS havent even hinted at a price drop.

Which means the refresh either comes at ~800 dollars or they are a long long long way off.
Let’s break this down you are aware when I said 80fps modes it’s because if 240hz output became a supported output 80 would divide evenly into 240 by a rate of 3 just like you guessed it 40 does into 120 (which is a push recently) this means you can take better advantage of the headroom you have over 60 without having to resort to fully uncapped for vrr displays solely like what 40fps locked does currently. Never say never 240hz works perfectly with 48fps movies which may be what causes the push for a more casual consumer (and 360hz is not the same thing so don’t bring that up). Hdmi 2.2 would be for better bandwidth and color detection and both 4k and 8k like maybe 14bit support no one mentioned anything about 8k 120 (though I don’t think it’s impossible some indies or really simple games could hit that target) your using the same arguments for this as what people said for the current consoles implementing 120hz support

lucius

I have a Series X and owned a Series S, I got rid of my Series S there is still decent demand for it so you can get most your money back. I was just using it for emulation and streaming after I was able to get my Halo Series X. You can tell the difference in most games. It does seem to stream better than my TVs on a couple apps so that's the only reason I might have kept it and its less power than the Series x, but you can get any Roku . Fire, Apple stick/box that does that and Dolby Vision for less. If another family member wants it you can do that.

TheGecko

Banned
I started with an s, Gamepass is great so I got an X for the living room and the S is now in me retro cave. Both great machines.

Black_Stride

Let’s break this down you are aware when I said 80fps modes it’s because if 240hz output became a supported output 80 would divide evenly into 240 by a rate of 3 just like you guessed it 40 does into 120 (which is a push recently) this means you can take better advantage of the headroom you have over 60 without having to resort to fully uncapped for vrr displays solely like what 40fps locked does currently. Never say never 240hz works perfectly with 48fps movies which may be what causes the push for a more casual consumer (and 360hz is not the same thing so don’t bring that up). Hdmi 2.2 would be for better bandwidth and color detection and both 4k and 8k like maybe 14bit support no one mentioned anything about 8k 120 (though I don’t think it’s impossible some indies or really simple games could hit that target) your using the same arguments for this as what people said for the current consoles implementing 120hz support
There would be no need to target 240Hz if a 120Hz VRR panel can lock 80Hz as well, hell it can lock 48Hz if movie studios decide to adopt that.
It can hit practically every refresh rate under 120Hz...........the only usable refresh rates even for console gamers.
The only reason to aim for such a high refresh rate panel is if you are actually going to use the high refresh rate.
TV manufacturers have no incentive to aim for 240Hz, when every panel coming off the lot has VRR, and the HDMI Forum has VRR as a feature set.
Its specifically why HDMI 2.1 was/is a big deal.
Media centers, GPUs, Consoles, everything that connects to these VRR TVs via HDMI will be refresh rate agonistic.
There is no need for TVs to hunt for 240Hz just yet.

And you keep talking about HDMI 2.2, we only just now got HDMI 2.1a, 2.1b is some ways off, if the console refresh is waiting for HDMI 2.2 then my prediction of them being a long long long way off if ever is pretty much self fulfilling.

Apocryphon

Depends on how good the scaler is on your TV. X will look best regardless as many games run at native 4K. Other than resolution, there are famerate and RT differences depending on the game. I suppose if you want maximum image quality X is the obvious answer.

If you want to be blown away by your OLED, play Ori and the Will of the Wisps in the 6K (4K supersampled output) 60fps mode. The 4K120p mode looks amazing enough but the supersampled mode is breathtaking.

Gears 5 (and Hivebusters) looks amazing, and so do Doom Eternal, RDR2, Forza, and MS Flight Simulator. RE2's raytracing looks great, it supports Dolby Vision, and has a 120fps mode. Guardians of the Galaxy also looks great, but the gameplay isn't very deep.

squarealex

Very not worth if you have already a PS5/PC.

I have a Serie S... is good for some exclusivity on Xbox for the most case is on 60fps on Series S.

Last edited:
If I were in your situation I would wait for mid gen refresh

Both consoles (although Xbox obviously less so) are still supply constrained 2 years into the gen. Unless this gen lasts like 10 years I highly doubt there will be mid-gen refresh this gen. Both consoles are better relative to 2020 PC's than Xbox One/PS4 were to 2013 PC's, there isn't anything like 4K that has become super popular and necessitated a change. The reasons for last gen's mid-gen refresh don't exist this gen and I'm not so sure there's been enough cost-saving upgrades to allow a mid-gen refresh to be an acceptable price.

To OP, I've never owned an S but I would 100% recommend it if you're planning on playing on the new TV, and I feel like eventually some devs are going to put out barely passable versions on S in order to make the games look great on PS5/Series X. If you have the money I'd say buy an X and sell the S (or have the S in a different room if you have another use for it)

SeraphJan

Both consoles (although Xbox obviously less so) are still supply constrained 2 years into the gen. Unless this gen lasts like 10 years I highly doubt there will be mid-gen refresh this gen. Both consoles are better relative to 2020 PC's than Xbox One/PS4 were to 2013 PC's, there isn't anything like 4K that has become super popular and necessitated a change. The reasons for last gen's mid-gen refresh don't exist this gen and I'm not so sure there's been enough cost-saving upgrades to allow a mid-gen refresh to be an acceptable price.
Ray tracing and 4K 60fps is slowly becoming standard, the base model just can't keep up with that. The RDNA2 had terrible ray tracing performance, and even without ray tracing, many demanding game still can't hit 4K 60fps. A mid gen refresh IMO make the most sense in this context, especially consider the rumor or leak regarding how powerful RDNA4(especially ray tracing) will be, by the end of 2024 mid gen refresh make the most sense to me especially when all the more demanding UE5 game launch: Like Matrix, Jedi Survivors, Star Wars Eclipse, Hellblade 2 etc.

If 4K is what pushed last gen's pro model, then Ray tracing and 4K 60fps will be what's pushing this gen for a pro model.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Honestly a tough call. If I already had the S I might just try to live with it as long as possible before getting another console. I wouldn't want to sell it because the S is really nice for what it is and a beast emulation box. I would load it up with apps while I know they still exist and hold onto it. That being said, I would want a PS5 before a second Xbox. But I'm not keen on the high prices and giant garish console, I want the revision. Leading to my stance that I might wait.

If you don't have at least one other device that will run cross play Xbox games (a PC basically) then I'd probably just get the Series X and have both. The S could still be useful as a secondary console for emulation, multiplayer, streaming, whatever. If the new GP family plan thing hits here then every Series console will suddenly look like gold...

BlackTron

Ray tracing and 4K 60fps is slowly becoming standard, the base model just can't keep up with that. The RDNA2 had terrible ray tracing performance, and even without ray tracing, many demanding game still can't hit 4K 60fps. A mid gen refresh IMO make the most sense in this context, especially consider the rumor or leak regarding how powerful RDNA4(especially ray tracing) will be, by the end of 2024 mid gen refresh make the most sense to me especially when all the more demanding UE5 game launch: Like Matrix, Jedi Survivors, Star Wars Eclipse, Hellblade 2 etc.

If 4K is what pushed last gen's pro model, then Ray tracing and 4K 60fps will be what's pushing this gen for a pro model.

The idea of UE5 games launching around the time of Pro models goes a long way to making PS5 just seem like a PS4 Pro Plus and the PS5 Pro the real PS5 -__-

SeraphJan

The idea of UE5 games launching around the time of Pro models goes a long way to making PS5 just seem like a PS4 Pro Plus and the PS5 Pro the real PS5 -__-
Kind of, by then the base models probably providing 30fps experience with minimal ray tracing, while the pro model provide 60 fps with full ray tracing (with RDNA4)

Last edited:

Beechos

If you had neither get the x easily hut since you have the s already and games have yet to come out that really stresses these systems. I would keep the s in the meantime and upgrade prob when some real next gen games come out.. If you have disposable income though yeah upgrade right away lol.

There would be no need to target 240Hz if a 120Hz VRR panel can lock 80Hz as well, hell it can lock 48Hz if movie studios decide to adopt that.
It can hit practically every refresh rate under 120Hz...........the only usable refresh rates even for console gamers.
The only reason to aim for such a high refresh rate panel is if you are actually going to use the high refresh rate.
TV manufacturers have no incentive to aim for 240Hz, when every panel coming off the lot has VRR, and the HDMI Forum has VRR as a feature set.
Its specifically why HDMI 2.1 was/is a big deal.
Media centers, GPUs, Consoles, everything that connects to these VRR TVs via HDMI will be refresh rate agonistic.
There is no need for TVs to hunt for 240Hz just yet.

And you keep talking about HDMI 2.2, we only just now got HDMI 2.1a, 2.1b is some ways off, if the console refresh is waiting for HDMI 2.2 then my prediction of them being a long long long way off if ever is pretty much self fulfilling.
Unfortunately not every tv has vrr even some hdmi 2.1 ones and more importantly relying solely on Vrr would be bad for certain TVs like lcds since they disable local dimming or other features basically vrr is only good on Oleds. Having a more uniform option would be nice you don’t think 80fps locked modes wouldn’t be awesome?

Black_Stride

Unfortunately not every tv has vrr even some hdmi 2.1 ones and more importantly relying solely on Vrr would be bad for certain TVs like lcds since they disable local dimming or other features basically vrr is only good on Oleds. Having a more uniform option would be nice you don’t think 80fps locked modes wouldn’t be awesome?
So let me get this straight.
You think its more logical for Panel producers to make 4K 240Hz panels to accommodate 24, 48 and 80hz modes than for them to simply adopt HDMI 2.1 on their 120hz panels?

Matsuchezz

The only showcase of that list would be forza the others are going to be lackluster technically. Please get the Series X and pick other games to show off your new tv.

Last edited:
NOOOOO. Wait for the pro models in 2 years.

I think people who keep saying this may have been knocked in the head, because you can't have a pro if there's no price drop for the base model, and we haven't seen the full extent of the hardware yet because of unoptimized cross gen games.

One of the consoles literally raised their price. The only revision we will be seeing is one that makes it so that there's a higher profit margin.

Black_Stride

Yes especially if vrr is the only way to do it
I see.
So your logic is flawed.

Good thing you arent in charge of making any decisions for panel makers.
Cuz the whole point of the HDMI Forums mandate on HDMI 2.1, a and b is so that panel and device makers follow that standard.

120Hz with variable refresh means all refresh rates up to the floor are supported.

Needing to make a 4K240hz panel just to hit 80Hz for those few games that want 80Hz is the most backwards thinking ive heard in a long time.

Let them just meet the HDMI 2.1, a and b standard then we can start thinking about making 240hz a standard.

Mandate HDMI 2.1 and 80hz locks arent a problem.

Last edited:
I see.
So your logic is flawed.

Good thing you arent in charge of making any decisions for panel makers.
Cuz the whole point of the HDMI Forums mandate on HDMI 2.1, a and b is so that panel and device makers follow that standard.

120Hz with variable refresh means all refresh rates up to the floor are supported.

Needing to make a 4K240hz panel just to hit 80Hz for those few games that want 80Hz is the most backwards thinking ive heard in a long time.

Let them just meet the HDMI 2.1, a and b standard then we can start thinking about making 240hz a standard.

Mandate HDMI 2.1 and 80hz locks arent a problem.
Locking to 80hz would be pointless though then

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I just bought a brand new beautiful television but I already have a Series S and am thinking of upgrading to a Series X so I can play on my OLED.

X really is a beautiful console and with games like Starfield, Forza, Perfect Dark, Elder Scrolls and Immortality on my wishlist I really want to be able show off some next gen games on my tv when I have buddies over to watch football.

Anyone else in a similar situation buy a Series X and did you regret it or were you happy with the upgrade?

bears-chicago-bears.gif

I was in similar situation in the last generation cycle when I went from Series S to Series X after upgrading to 4k OLED. If you care about fidelity, it's 100% worth it.

Rambone

+ 4K
+ 1TB Storage
+ Better performance
+ Disc Drive

Yea, seems like a worthy upgrade if you can find one. Toss your Series S into another room or sell it to a friend in need.

AdamTank83

Neo Member
I just bought a brand new beautiful television but I already have a Series S and am thinking of upgrading to a Series X so I can play on my OLED.

X really is a beautiful console and with games like Starfield, Forza, Perfect Dark, Elder Scrolls and Immortality on my wishlist I really want to be able show off some next gen games on my tv when I have buddies over to watch football.

Anyone else in a similar situation buy a Series X and did you regret it or were you happy with the upgrade?

bears-chicago-bears.gif
I have both systems and if you got like a lg cx or something equivalent to it then definitely get a series x. The vrr is amazing and make sure you get hdmi 2.1 capable hdmi cables, it's makes a big difference. But it is so much better plus most games have the toggle graphics or performance modes that most series S games do not have, not to mention its so much better then S, I see what Microsoft was going for(Casual gamers who want next gen cheap) but for anyone posting on here, X is the way for the series systems, especially for cx, c1, c2 displays

Black_Stride

Locking to 80hz would be pointless though then
Exactly.
HDMI 2.1 and VRR panels are gonna be the norm sooner rather than later.
So there is no logical reason for panel makers to double to 4K240Hz especially if the primary reasoning is to have 24, 48 and 80hz locks.

VRR does all those refresh rates and devices are gonna be HDMI 2.1 compliant so why go the long way round to achieving the same thing.
With VRR panels if a dev really wants a locked 80hz mode, they can have their game at a locked 80Hz mode.
If they want it fast an lose they can leave it un-vysnced and let VRR do its job.

The PS5 and XSX are 8K capable, if/when 8K TVs become the prevalent a system update is all thats needed to let games upscale or even display at 8K.

So there really isnt much rooting for a Midgen Refresh right now beyond moar powa moar betr.

Majormaxxx

Since you have a new TV, then yes!

Also you will be able to watch 4k blu Rays (better than streaming 4k)

And

You'll be able to buy cheap second hand original Xbox, 360 and Xbox one disc games.

Top Bottom