• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Pokémon Legends Arceus have been a better nominee for GOTY than Xenoblade Chronicles 3?

KàIRóS

I was pretty much unaware of how much hate XC3 was getting until a few days ago with the reveal of the GOTY nominees, personally I really liked XC3, I thought it had a really robust Class system and I really enjoyed the 7 party member combat but I can understand some players getting bored pretty quickly with all the micromanagement required.

On the other hand now that reviews for Pokémon Scarlet/Violet are out I see that Legends Arceus was actually a very impactful game for the franchise finally making changes to the core Pokémon gameplay with the outdated graphics being the only real complaint but otherwise being praised by both Fans and Non-fans of Pokémon.

Personally I would honestly keep XC3 as a GOTY nominee but what are everyone's thoughts on this?

DIXwden.jpg
fcyMqzh.jpg

Saber

Gold Member
Having an impact on a game that still on the mesozoic age in terms of tech is not "impactfull" and neither deserve praise. It would be like praising pokemon for finally discovering fire in 2022.

In short, fuck no.

Last edited:

SumJester

I do wonder sometimes if we are playing the same video games in the first place.
Probably the Arceus i know was a unfinished beta or something.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I was pretty much unaware of how much hate XC3 was getting until a few days ago with the reveal of the GOTY nominees, personally I really liked XC3, I thought it had a really robust Class system and I really enjoyed the 7 party member combat but I can understand some players getting bored pretty quickly with all the micromanagement required.

On the other hand now that reviews for Pokémon Scarlet/Violet are out I see that Legends Arceus was actually a very impactful game for the franchise finally making changes to the core Pokémon gameplay with the outdated graphics being the only real complaint but otherwise being praised by both Fans and Non-fans of Pokémon.

Personally I would honestly keep XC3 as a GOTY nominee but what are everyone's thoughts on this?

DIXwden.jpg
fcyMqzh.jpg
I'm sure Arceus has its' merits(haven't played it yet) but XC3 was one best games released on Switch this year. They probably needed a top tier Switch release and XC3 definitely fits the bill as far as big, epic games go.

Good heavens no. Neither should be in consideration in my opinion, though at least with XC3 I can see the appeal in a well made game with deep RPG systems. Arceus feels like an early access alpha for a Kickstarter game developed by a team with more ambition than skill.

KàIRóS

I honestly expected more hate for XC3 after reading the comments on the GOTY nominees thread, I guess it's a much smaller hate group than I expected then.

tmlDan

uh oh, i hate XB3 but i know the forum goers love it for some reason.

Also Arceus aint even good, at least pick another game lol

KàIRóS

uh oh, i hate XB3 but i know the forum goers love it for some reason.

Also Arceus aint even good, at least pick another game lol

I thought Arceus was pretty fun TBH, everyone focuses on the graphics but the gameplay was solid, the combination of real time action and turn based combat made boss battles really fun IMO.

Skifi28

I don't know about being GOTY material, but xenoblade 3 is quite good. Can't say the same about pokemon, it's not even on the same league.

Wunray

No, just because pokemon is starting to catch up to PS3 era games doesn't mean it's anything amazing or impactful and I'm not talking about graphics.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
HA.

I liked Arceus. It's still in my top 10 of the year, somehow, in fact I need to rethink that. But no. Jesus Christ no. It just did what Game Freak should have done about a decade ago.

Nautilus

Banned
Of course not lol.

XC 3 is a fantastic experience and easily the best game out of the nominees( even if its not the best XC game).

But thanks, didn't know that XC 3 was nominated GOTY. Figured it would have been snubbed because it was "too anime"

Top Bottom