• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would the Series S be a good console to get right now?

kingfey

Banned
People tend to forget unless you are a collector of disks that those of us who still buy physical tend to trade it back in after completion

I then get about half my money back for a game I will never play again
Won't you lose access to that game then? If so, why bother buying it in the 1st place, if you are going to sell it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Series s isn’t unique to Xbox (Xbox One S, X) ok we get you can’t find a series x, I’m trying to convince people to wait for series x, monitor the store inventories. Hell, there’s people trying to get PS4 Pros.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Won't you lose access to that game then? If so, why bother buying it in the 1st place, if you are going to sell it.
Many single player games once I beat them I usually do not return say Ratchet and Clank

I also buy physical copies for games I buy yearly like MLB The Show but the return on trading in is quite low

Exactly. I bought Guardians of the Galaxy physical brand new at $60 and resold it on eBay for $45. Net cost after fees was $20. Digital keys can't touch that.
Plus if you can wait for some of these big budget single player games to get a used copy GameStop has a 7 day free return policy on pre owned

Roufianos

It’s called being patient and waiting on the game you want to go on sale on the Xbox Store. It’s not that hard to get a good deal on a digital game.
Lmao. Why are you being such a dick to people who were tryna help you out?

Not only are physical games cheaper at launch but they also go on sale quicker. Physical discounts are usually permanent also whereas most digital games are full price even years later if they're not included in a sale.

Also isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to preach patience when you're thinking of getting an inferior hardware just because you can't wait to get a Series X?

If you were smart you'd realise you'd save way more with a scalped Series X and physical games than an entire generation of paying $70 for digital games.

SkylineRKR

We have 2 Series S consoles in the house. One of them replaced a One X. Get the Series S. It’s a great console And much better than last gen.

Absolutely. Granted One X was already very good but I had a PS4 Pro that sounded like a jet engine. I went from that to a completely silent box (since the PS5 would arrive at a later date) that boot up within 2 seconds and also instantly loads and switches games. Its absolutely a step forward. Not to mention the 60fps or even 120fps you get vs 30fps on Pro and One X. Besides Series X its the only console that can play games like Prey at 60fps with virtually no input lag and load times not being longer than 10 seconds ever.

kingfey

Banned
Many single player games once I beat them I usually do not return say Ratchet and Clank
That is what everyone says at 1st.

10 years later, and people will scream, why can't they access those games.

There is no need for backwards compatibility, since people don't need to replay those games again, and would rather sell it back, to get some of their money.

Akuji

Atleast here in germany i did find a xsx for sale in a media Markt for 499€. Was just standing around. Prices on germany are low enough for scalping not be really worth it anymore with the cut ebay takes.

Haggard

Banned
Your option is to get rid of the game, the same thing subscription do. Because that is what happens, when you buy a game, and sell it. You lose access to that game. The same thing gamepass/psnow do.
The more you guys bring that option, the more retards you guys look.
At least with my digital games, I keep them forever, and don't have to rebuy them, when someone is selling physical copy of them for 80$ in the future.
So now we're suddenly talking about the hardcore collectors.
You move the goalposts around with every new reply

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That is what everyone says at 1st.

10 years later, and people will scream, why can't they access those games.

There is no need for backwards compatibility, since people don't need to replay those games again, and would rather sell it back, to get some of their money.
Everyone?

Not me when I beat a single player game its done for me and I don't buy new consoles to play old games, back compat is cool is thats what people want but I don't spend $500 on a console to play a PS3 game

Topher

Gold Member

I also buy physical copies for games I buy yearly like MLB The Show but the return on trading in is quite low

Plus if you can wait for some of these big budget single player games to get a used copy GameStop has a 7 day free return policy on pre owned

Not to mention the buy two get one free deals from GameStop and Amazon. I've never seen a digital equivalent.

kingfey

Banned
So now we're suddenly talking about the hardcore collectors.
You move the goalposts around with every new reply
You are the only who is moving the goalposts here buddy.

The main goal for me, was "digital games cheap". You brought up these options.

1: digital games are cheap, as long as they offer 3rd party key sellers (xbox, steam, Nintendo).

2: you keep your digital games forever.

3: Your digital library is in one place, easy to download.

4: your options again, is to sell the game, to get some of your return. In return, you give up your ownership of the game. Which means, you cannot play that game again.

That was my point for the entire time.

SkylineRKR

Physical is best if you sell quick. I've sold the likes of TLOU2 like a month after launch and got 30-40 bucks for it. But some games I sold much later and they were a much harder sell or only fetched like 10-15 bucks or I failed to sell them at all. Especially if prices were dropped already.

The benefit of digital however, is that you keep it. I could redownload Driveclub on PS5 and play it. I could even redownload SOTN which released on XBLA in like 2006. Chances are you want to buy back certain games otherwise. Which can sometimes be a pain.

yeah it's the best "next gen" console to get (imo) at the moment. the series x would be #1 but it's hard to find. you can easily get a Series S and play a load of great games. definitely worth it if you don't mind the lower visuals/performance. even if you prefer higher quality graphics/performance then well good luck finding a Series X or building a PC. the Series S can play games like Halo, Flight Sim, Forza. some of the best games out right now! also there is gamepass....

of course if you still buy physical discs you'll need to quit that and go all digital which you really should be doing anyway so if it's a dealbreaker then that's your own problem.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Everyone?

Not me when I beat a single player game its done for me and I don't buy new consoles to play old games, back compat is cool is thats what people want but I don't spend $500 on a console to play a PS3 game
I respect your stance on this one.

But general disc advocate don't understand the point you are making. All they care is preserving the game, but would sell their games In a heartbeat, if they want to make some money.

One of the stigma digital gamers face is, you dont own your games. But when you see the same people advocating selling their copies, it's something else.

Haggard

Banned
That was my point for the entire time.
And even then buying physical and reselling during the livecycle of the game and then buying again for next to nothing wherever it's cheapest, if you should get the urge 10 years later, is still cheaper

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Only If you have great internet connection to delete and download games constantly because of the lack of storage. For the price the machine has fantastic hardware. This is an unbiased opinion from a person that plays mostly on PC BTW.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So the biggest pro I can see is not only is it a nice little machine but you also have the option of playing all your library later in a XsX and even big MS titles on pc.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
We talked about this ok.
Only fraction of disc users sell their copies.
Your option is to get rid of the game, the same thing subscription do. Because that is what happens, when you buy a game, and sell it. You lose access to that game. The same thing gamepass/psnow do.
The more you guys bring that option, the more retards you guys look.
At least with my digital games, I keep them forever, and don't have to rebuy them, when someone is selling physical copy of them for 80$ in the future.
My biggest reason for going all digital is, no mess. I dont have to go digging through a pile of plastic or have shelves taking up space in my place to store all those hard copies. I can access my games at anytime now - especially with Cloud on Xbox. Games I dont have space on my harddrive for, I created a "Local Cloud" games group with nothing but games I play from the Cloud that I added from my back log. Many can now be played in the cloud without a download. I have almost 500 something games. Cant imagine storing all those on shelves and shit.

Last edited:
So the biggest pro I can see is not only is it a nice little machine but you also have the option of playing all your library later in a XsX and even big MS titles on pc.
yup buy a Series S now and buy all the games you want and it will carry over to Series X if you upgrade. Or if you get a PC you will be able to play the MS games you bought on the Series S like Halo, Forza, Flight Sim, etc.

MS really handled it well with backwards compatibility and having your purchases carry over to another device.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hard to get an X? I wasent even actively looking and just saw a post here than said they were in stock on amazon, 3 hours after they where still in stock so I just bought one.

Had a PS5 already but just wanted to play my gamepass games downstairs away from the PC if i felt like it with my feet up.

I mean if you really want an X I wouldent settle for an S just because it's there.

Hell it's an all digital console with only 512GB storage, that's like what 1 and a half CoD games? Oh but you can expand the memory.... how much is that for a 1TB card again? Oh the price diffrence between the S and the X....

Last edited:

And even then buying physical and reselling during the livecycle of the game and then buying again for next to nothing wherever it's cheapest, if you should get the urge 10 years later, is still cheaper
This is simply false, you don't seem to know how money works.

Hard to get an X? I wasent even actively looking and just saw a post here than said they were in stock on amazon, 3 hours after they where still in stock so I just bought one.

Had a PS5 already but just wanted to play my gamepass games downstairs away from the PC if i felt like it with my feet up.
maybe easy where you are but a lot of places it's still hard to find. i've been trying to find one since it launched and never seen it in stock.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
maybe easy where you are but a lot of places it's still hard to find. i've been trying to find one since it launched and never seen it in stock.

Xbox Series X https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08H93GKNJ/

Yeah literally still in stock over here, pick it up no issue. PS5's on the other hand, yeah actually hard to get, still sell out lightening fast. However considering how much the S limits you with the lack of disc drive and half the storage.... which a good percentage of is taken up by the OS... yeah I'd be getting an X.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Yeah literally still in stock over here, pick it up no issue. PS5's on the other hand, yeah actually hard to get, still sell out lightening fast. However considering how much the S limits you with the lack of disc drive and half the storage.... which a good percentage of is taken up by the OS... yeah I'd be getting an X.
I dont see those 2 here in US. Only S, which is available sometimes, before it gets out of stock in the next day.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I dont see those 2 here in US. Only S, which is available sometimes, before it gets out of stock in the next day.

I think this is an exclusively Yank thing, its like how the xbox dousent do well in Japan, Microsoft have that home field advantage in the states as its seen as an American product. Everywhere else it's just meh like Europe. Worked out for me though, had alot of colleagues settle for a series X because there unable to get a PS5 again this year. I guess it's kinda like how people are settling for the S in the States.

I was hoping the UI would be better than Sony's but I feel it's just worse, the quick resume is a nice feature though.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Because you own digital games forever

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

Well, we all know that it’s pretty hard to get a PS5 or an Xbox Series X right now unless you’re Twitter tracking and even that has never worked out for me the entire time I’ve been trying it. I am still considering a Switch OLED, but a Series S is also on my mind right now. I’m just thinking that it’s a pretty good deal. I have a 4K TV, but it’s several years old. Maybe 3-4. It’s nothing fancy. Maybe a 50” Samsung and it doesn’t have 120fps or anything like that. I’m just wondering if the Series S is viable for me. I do like the 4K capabilities of the PS5 and Series X and would love to have the top end versions, but if the Series S isn’t complete shit I think I’d be okay with it. I could always sell it down the line when stock stabilizes with the others, because I’m not paying a scalper or chasing Twitter account updates for a “chance” to get a console. For starters, I had a PS5 locked down twice on Best Buy through a Twitter tracker account, but apparently they wouldn’t ship it to me and nowhere within 250 miles of me had it in stock so I was out of luck. My closest Best Buy is over an hour away, the same with Target. That leaves me with Walmart, GameStop, and Amazon as my only options. Two of which (or all 3?) have the consoles locked behind premium membership tiers, so yeah.

What would you do if you were me? The Series S is looking mighty fine to me. I was set on a Switch OLED, but there’s a LOT more games I want to play on the Series S, it’s $50 cheaper, and it has Game Pass. Anyone own a Series S and play it on a 4K TV? How does it look?
If you plan to sell the Series S down the line than just get the OLED switch.

Your going to have constant FOMO with the Series S plus money doesn’t seem like an issue so just save up enough and buy a bundle, the Series X and PS5 bundles are easier to find than getting the stand alone console. Once you get the bundle, sell the stuff you don’t want from the bundle.

Last edited:

avin

What would you do if you were me? The Series S is looking mighty fine to me. I was set on a Switch OLED, but there’s a LOT more games I want to play on the Series S, it’s $50 cheaper, and it has Game Pass. Anyone own a Series S and play it on a 4K TV? How does it look?

Yeah, I have a Series S hooked up to a 4K TV. It's a great machine. I also have an X. I sit down with whichever one is free, it really makes no difference.

Having both has been interesting, I've learned that I don't care about performance when I'm playing. Or at least, the difference between these two boxes isn't enough for me to care about. When I get the impulse, and I have the time, I just want to play.

avin

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I think this is an exclusively Yank thing, its like how the xbox dousent do well in Japan, Microsoft have that home field advantage in the states as its seen as an American product. Everywhere else it's just meh like Europe. Worked out for me though, had alot of colleagues settle for a series X because there unable to get a PS5 again this year. I guess it's kinda like how people are settling for the S in the States.

I was hoping the UI would be better than Sony's but I feel it's just worse, the quick resume is a nice feature though.
They need to recover from the xbox one mishaps.

People are forgetting that thing almost wiped xbox from console markets. You dont fix them, by giving gamepass. It takes time to recover that trust.

They will need 3-4 of this gen, to gain outside of America trust.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
A Series S on a 50" 4K tv would serve you much better than a Switch, OLED or otherwise. The difference between the Series S and the PS5/XSX is much less noticeable than a blown up Switch image.

If you mostly play handheld, then get an OLED Switch all the way!
Or just wait for the Switch upgrade (it will be next Fall)

Yeah, I have a Series S hooked up to a 4K TV. It's a great machine. I also have an X. I sit down with whichever one is free, it really makes no difference.

Having both has been interesting, I've learned that I don't care about performance when I'm playing. Or at least, the difference between these two boxes isn't enough for me to care about. When I get the impulse, and I have the time, I just want to play.

avin
You do realize most of the games available right now are not “full” next gen games.

Most of the games released especially the big Xbox games like Halo and Forza are basically cross gen games so of course your not seeing a huge difference yet.

Last edited:

avin

You do realize most of the games available right now are not “full” next gen games.

Most of the games release especially the big Xbox games like Halo and Forza are basically cross gen games so of course your not seeing a huge difference yet.
I downloaded and ran the UE5 Matrix Demo on both boxes. It looked great on the S. So I'm not worried about the next couple of years, at least. After that, we'll see.

avin

YCoCg

The S is a great side console, I highly suggest grabbing the emulators for it too, throwing RetroArch, DuckStation and PPSSPP on there and dumping a few games makes this console a great "all rounder" to have (of course this works on the X too but since the CPU's are near identical and custom apps can only do 1080p you're not getting much benefit over loading them onto the S). Being able to launch that stuff from the main OS is great and just being able to play older Arcade stuff well is like a blast since the CPU's in the S/X can pretty much handle anything thrown at it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
They need to recover from the xbox one mishaps.

People are forgetting that thing almost wiped xbox from console markets. You dont fix them, by giving gamepass. It takes time to recover that trust.

They will need 3-4 of this gen, to gain outside of America trust.

This is one of the reasons I didn't buy one at launch, the Xbox One was the first console I have ever traded in for credit.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Gamepass alone makes it worth it, but you lose out on all the insane physical disc sales and if it bothers you, there’s always a lingering thought in your mind that the Xbox Series X is superior.

I'd never suggest someone even a little serious about gaming but a Series S over a Series X or PS5. It's just not worth the tradeoff.

This generation will probably be close to a full decade long. Just buy the better version.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'd wait until an X/PS5 became available.

I was going to bite on the S because they're easy to get hold of, but it would only be because I can't easily get an X. Rather than waste my money, I decided to hold off and wait for the X.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Load of shit sorry, PS5s have been just as easy to come by as the Series X in the UK this month, possibly even easier. Stock dropping daily and some bundles not selling out for well over 5 hours.

One of the bundles even went -200 degrees on hukd because the stand alone console has been so readily available.

The only problem I had after buying XSS is that it lacked the storage I needed and expansion was far too expensive. If 350-ish GB available is enough for you then it should be fine, imo.
The XSS supports inexpensive external hard drives and SSDs like all the other consoles. The internal storage isn't large but is big enough to hold a few games and others can easily be stored externally and be transferred when you are ready to play them. Most backward compatible games can also be played off of that external storage so there wouldn't be a need to transfer them to the internal at all. Transferring games from external storage is considerably faster than re-downloading them. There is also the more expensive storage card options as well. There are plenty of ways to deal with the systems' small internal storage.

On the bigger topic not much for me to add. Digital games are available outside of MS so there are plenty of ways to save money. The system supports all the same features the XSX has so you are getting the same current generation experience. Most importantly it's actually available for purchase!

Keep in mind the people who have the most positive things to say about the system actually own it in many cases. If they were unhappy they'd tell you how bad their experiences have been. The negativity comes from people who in some cases don't have an Xbox at all. Keep that in mind when asking ANY questions about the Xbox. Non-owners opinions aren't worth much.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I appreciate it. So, would you say it’s more powerful than the One X? Or less powerful? Also, I don’t really plan on playing too many Xbox One games. Maybe some. Like Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, My Hero One’s Justice 2… Actually, maybe quite a few. But you said only some are stuck at their One S profile?
Overall the Series S is more powerful, the 1X does have higher resolutions but I would take the SSD loading and 60fps over the higher res of the 1X anyday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom