• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would the Series S be a good console to get right now?

Dolomite

Play on whatever the fuck you want gang. Gaf police aren't going to kick your door down if you buy a very capable $299 next gen box.
Who gives a damn lol we are strangers on a message board

SkylineRKR

You do realize most of the games available right now are not “full” next gen games.

Most of the games release especially the big Xbox games like Halo and Forza are basically cross gen games so of course your not seeing a huge difference yet.

I think its not going to be that big of a deal. True next gen games or whatever that even means won't be leaps and bounds ahead of what we're having now. These boxes can only do so much. I think current games already push the hardware quite a bit as they tank with RT effects on and more often than not don't hit native 4k. I rather not sacrifice 60fps either.

Topher

Gold Member
The XSS supports inexpensive external hard drives and SSDs like all the other consoles. The internal storage isn't large but is big enough to hold a few games and others can easily be stored externally and be transferred when you are ready to play them. Most backward compatible games can also be played off of that external storage so there wouldn't be a need to transfer them to the internal at all. Transferring games from external storage is considerably faster than re-downloading them. There is also the more expensive storage card options as well. There are plenty of ways to deal with the systems' small internal storage.

Nope. Not for me. The XSX was the better option as I don't have to worry about any of those storage issues. If it works for you then that is fine. Again, that was only issue I had but it was big enough an issue to realize XSS wasn't for me. You can explain work arounds all you want but that just doesn't jive for everyone.

Non-owners opinions aren't worth much.

Apparently they are as you've exerted plenty of energy defending against those who have even the slightest criticism. I mean......just my simple complaint about storage puts you on the defensive. So pretending to be dismissive of "non-owners opinions" while writing paragraph after paragraph combating "non-owners opinions" doesn't make any sense at all.

Last edited:
A sale where I can resell 2/3 of what I buy to pay for the other 1/3. I've done that many times. Essentially getting a game for free.
If you want to change the subject to selling games I understand that's a nice option. I was just pointing out that digital games get 33% sales a lot.

I still think physical is usually the better option just because of more choices.

DragonNCM

I'd never suggest someone even a little serious about gaming but a Series S over a Series X or PS5. It's just not worth the tradeoff.

This generation will probably be close to a full decade long. Just buy the better version.
If is decade long I will be happy with XSS next 5 years till real "THIS" generation games are out & then will get PS5pro or XSXpro.
So basically if you get XSS now you will save money for true "THIS" generation games & play shit cross generation games on console that can actually
play's them damn well.

Topher

Gold Member
If you want to change the subject to selling games I understand that's a nice option. I was just pointing out that digital games get 33% sales a lot.

I still think physical is usually the better option just because of more choices.

I didn't change the subject. The ability to resell physical games was part of the conversation you came into.

Urban

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Only if you like 720p upscaled picture and blurry gaming doesn’t bother you or you play on a 32 inch

Nope. Not for me. The XSX was the better option as I don't have to worry about any of those storage issues. If it works for you then that is fine. Again, that was only issue I had but it was big enough an issue to realize XSS wasn't for me. You can explain work arounds all you want but that just doesn't jive for everyone.

Apparently they are as you've exerted plenty of energy defending against those who have even the slightest criticism. I mean......just my simple complaint about storage puts you on the defensive. So pretending to be dismissive of "non-owners opinions" while writing paragraph after paragraph combating "non-owners opinions" doesn't make any sense at all.
You left out tons of info and I simply filled in the blanks. There is nothing defensive about stating facts bro. This whole thread is asking about the XSS vs getting an OLED Switch. Not sure how your preferences for the XSX answers that question. I suppose you are suggesting he get the Switch then? It's also pretty weird you'd want to defend people who don't own the Xbox and would obviously know the least about the system vs people who actually do. Are you sure it's me being defensive?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Only if you like 720p upscaled picture and blurry gaming doesn’t bother you or you play on a 32 inch
I dunno I have seen a Series S running on a 65" 4k TV (it was a cheaper end TV) and sitting back at a reasonable distance sitting on a couch in all honesty Forza Horizon 5 looked quite nice

Granted I was back about 10 feet from the TV and was probably outside optimal viewing range of that sized 4k TV anyhow as I bet most people who play from a couch are.

Topher

Gold Member
You left out tons of info and I simply filled in the blanks. There is nothing defensive about stating facts bro. This whole thread is asking about the XSS vs getting an OLED Switch. Not sure how your preferences for the XSX answers that question. I suppose you are suggesting he get the Switch then? It's also pretty weird you'd want to defend people who don't own the Xbox and would obviously know the least about the system vs people who actually do. Are you sure it's me being defensive?

Yes, I'm sure. I have no problem with someone who says their opinion is based on firsthand knowledge and leaving it at that, but if you have to create your own little litmus test to invalidate the opinions of those you disagree with then yeah, no doubt about it.

As for me, I'm just adding my perspective. There is no correct "answer" here. It is fine that you provided work arounds to the issues I had with XSS, but it doesn't remove the issues.

DaGwaphics

I love 720p upscaled picture blurry gaming!

True!. Once you start playing games and not comparing frozen frames between systems the game mechanic itself takes over. I won't begrudge anyone who loves their XSX, it's a great console, but XSS is a nice upgrade from a X1 and it's available. As others have already mentioned, you can always sell it if you upgrade.

Deerock71

True!. Once you start playing games and not comparing frozen frames between systems the game mechanic itself takes over. I won't begrudge anyone who loves their XSX, it's a great console, but XSS is a nice upgrade from a X1 and it's available. As others have already mentioned, you can always sell it if you upgrade.
My Switch OLED is 720p, and it's my favorite system of all-time!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Load of shit sorry, PS5s have been just as easy to come by as the Series X in the UK this month, possibly even easier. Stock dropping daily and some bundles not selling out for well over 5 hours.

One of the bundles even went -200 degrees on hukd because the stand alone console has been so readily available.

I think the fact Amazon requires you have a prime subscription to purchase a PS5 and an Xbox Series X does not might suggest otherwise...

I would point out that GAME has not had stock of PS5 since confirmed 14/12/2021 and the deal you linked sucked because its an after Christmas preorder with no delivery date the Xbox series X bundles you can buy right now, and while its too late to buy them and be delivered for Christmas, they where available to be delivered today from as recent as yesterday, you can still of course buy them now to be delivered after Christmas, its not a preorder its just no one delivering Christmas day unlike that weird GAME PS5 offer.

PS5's outside of being a prime member on Amazon where not available readily this week, colleagues have been actively looking and iv sold them on the Series X given the availability, I am unsure how you are coming to this conclusion given the ready availability of Xbox Series X's right now for several days and the inability of people to get PS5's consistently outside of several hours which requires you to have a subscription to Prime to purchase.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Xbox Series X https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08H93GKNJ/

Yeah literally still in stock over here, pick it up no issue. PS5's on the other hand, yeah actually hard to get, still sell out lightening fast. However considering how much the S limits you with the lack of disc drive and half the storage.... which a good percentage of is taken up by the OS... yeah I'd be getting an X.
Why TF are you lying? HD space taken up by the OS??? Stahp! Lol

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why TF are you lying? HD space taken up by the OS??? Stahp! Lol

would you like to tell me how much disk space the Series S has please, it has 512 on the box, how much does it allow you to use to store games? please take your time.

The PS5 has the same issue with its 850GB, and it fills up quick.

Its 364GB of 512GB, the OS + other system files takes up the rest

Last edited:

dcx4610

I don't see the point in buying a digital-only console locked behind a single store front. It WILL stop working one day and will be useless. Think about that for a minute.

I can dig an Atari 2600 out of a box, plug it up and play in 2021. Maybe it won't be until 2031 or 2041 but one day, you'll hook up the Xbox One S and it won't work anymore. Performance and price wise, it's solid you are far better off just saving up $200 more and getting the X.

Deerock71

I don't see the point in buying a digital-only console locked behind a single store front. It WILL stop working one day and will be useless. Think about that for a minute.

I can dig an Atari 2600 out of a box, plug it up and play in 2021. Maybe it won't be until 2031 or 2041 but one day, you'll hook up the Xbox One S and it won't work anymore. Performance and price wise, it's solid you are far better off just saving up $200 more and getting the X.
When it stops working you simply purchase the next Microsoft machine since they all seem to be backwards compatible, then you're not digging out old machines.

DaGwaphics

I think the real reality will be that there will come a day when neither the XSS or XSX will function. I get that for collectors and preservation it isn't the best, but that is just the future of internet connected devices. As long as these companies continue to support old software on new hardware it doesn't bother me. Mind you, I don't think something like this would happen until so far in the future that very few working devices would be left to begin with. The 360 still works (digital purchases and all) and it released in 2005.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
When it stops working you simply purchase the next Microsoft machine since they all seem to be backwards compatible, then you're not digging out old machines.

For now, this entire thought process relies on you assuming that a global company that has quite honestly fucked over the consumer a few times in its history to not remove this feature for the sake of more profit. Storage costs are much bigger than people assume and as more recent games increase in size this will only get worse the longer it goes on.

Not locking yourself down to a single store front while also having access to physical media still has a large appeal if only to prevent this happening in future. Also if you want to upgrade Storage on the S in future, you will be paying the price difference anyway just to do that, an X seems like the better buy for that alone.

£250 + £130 for 512GB expansion card = £380 that's what a £70 difference from the £450 Series X with its much more powerful performance + 4k blu-ray player and now same 800GB odd storage. Just buy 2 games in the bargain bin of a retailer that Microsoft still sells for £60 digitally and you will have just made the difference.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm sure. I have no problem with someone who says their opinion is based on firsthand knowledge and leaving it at that, but if you have to create your own little litmus test to invalidate the opinions of those you disagree with then yeah, no doubt about it.

As for me, I'm just adding my perspective. There is no correct "answer" here. It is fine that you provided work arounds to the issues I had with XSS, but it doesn't remove the issues.
It's common knowledge that people who actually own and use a product would know more than someone who is posting from, well shall we say, someone who is clearly not unbiased. There is no litmus test simply perspective.

With regard to the issues you personally had with the XSS they were easily mitigated and you didn't mention those mitigations. I provided info that you didn't. My info was completely factual. Me telling the truth should not bother you especially if you embrace the 'criticisms' from people who don't own the system.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's common knowledge that people who actually own and use a product would know more than someone who is posting from, well shall we say, someone who is clearly not unbiased. There is no litmus test simply perspective.

With regard to the issues you personally had with the XSS they were easily mitigated and you didn't mention those mitigations. I provided info that you didn't. My info was completely factual. Me telling the truth should not bother you especially if you embrace the 'criticisms' from people who don't own the system.

yo dude do you own a Series X? Because your making some pretty big assumptions about how much easier it is to mitigate everything you just mentioned by not just buying the better model. Which is super easy I might add, slap £200 more down BOOM all those issues are gone and it runs games at 60 now with some more bells and whistles turned on.

Last edited:
yo dude do you own a Series X? Because your making some pretty big assumptions about how much easier it is to mitigate everything you just mentioned by not just buying the better model. Which is super easy I might add, slap £200 more down BOOM all those issues are gone and it runs games at 60 now with some more bells and whistles turned on.
I do own a Series console. Paying $200 more for a system the OP said was unavailable doesn't really mitigate anything. This was not a choice between the XSX and XSS. It was a choice between the XSS and the Switch. Are you saying he would be better off dropping $350 for a Switch cause that is the alternative. How much storage does the Switch have?

With regard to storage 1) several Xbox games can be played off the external storage so there is no need to swap at all. 2) using an external SSD will transfer much faster than a mechanical hard drive. 3) external storage is much cheaper than the expansion cards so there is no need to purchase those at all. It's optional.

Topher

Gold Member

Which is entirely at odds with "Non-owners opinions aren't worth much."

What part of "it is fine that you provided work arounds to the issues I had with XSS" did you not understand?

Exactly. Don't get this idea that making the case for XSX rather than jumping through hoops to mitigate issues that XSS has is hard to understand. Could very well give others a third option that they had not considered.

Last edited:
GAF ***** on this console big time but I think it's great. I have a series X connected to my 4k TV and the series s on my upstairs TV which is 1080p. I honestly can't notice that much difference other than sharpness.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer but even for me it has its uses and its great to just jump between consoles to continue on your game... And I've never gone "oh, I'm definitly playing on my series s now, you can tell the difference and its realllyl disappointing"

twilo99

I wish S didn't exist if I'm honest. X is/was and always will stay the better choice.

That's a very strange wish.. a lot of people can't afford $500+ on a gaming machine.

Do you also wish low end GPUs didn't exist so we all have to spend $800+ do play games? Economy class cars?

Last edited:
That's a very strange wish.. a lot of people can't afford $500+ on a gaming machine.

Do you also wish low end GPUs didn't exist so we all have to spend $800+ do play games? Economy class cars?
I drive an 'economy class car' , but unlike series S, those cars will never have an effect or limit in any way the enjoyment a performance car [series X] or full blown supercar [high end PC] can give someone on a track. Sadly S will [undoubtedly] effect how much some multiplat games visuals will be pushed this gen. If S were happen to be 6TF and only ever targeted 1080p, then it's fine but sadly it's only 4tf. I will always reccommend to save up a little and get an X. It's a much better pick.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I drive an 'economy class car' , but unlike series S, those cars will never have an effect or limit in any way the enjoyment a performance car [series X] or full blown supercar [high end PC] can give someone on a track. Sadly S will [undoubtedly] effect how much some multiplat games visuals will be pushed this gen. If S were happen to be 6TF and only ever targeted 1080p, then it's fine but sadly it's only 4tf. I will always reccommend to save up a little and get an X. It's a much better pick.

Honestly the Series S is the least of the worry for that, people seem to overlook that the Xbox One is still actively developed for in all Microsoft games...

The S will of course have an impact, as it will force console developers to prioritise engine scalability... however there's something even further down that power chart to contend with, the Xbox One S and regular Xbox one.

GAF ***** on this console big time but I think it's great. I have a series X connected to my 4k TV and the series s on my upstairs TV which is 1080p. I honestly can't notice that much difference other than sharpness.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer but even for me it has its uses and its great to just jump between consoles to continue on your game... And I've never gone "oh, I'm definitly playing on my series s now, you can tell the difference and its realllyl disappointing"

Am I like the only person that runs on prioritise preformance or something? Like I don't give two shits it is running at 1080p or 4k, although it's nice and crisp if it hits the latter.

But like how do you not notice the fact that your getting half the frames? Thats always been my issue, yeah sure the S can run older games at 60 and I believe even a few at 120, but I can run things like Froza Horizon 5 at 60 on X and to me that makes a huge a diffrence in how responsive the entire game feels to play. It's one of my biggest issues tbh with the generation, the fact that 30FPS seems to be the target again with a bolted on preformance mode that might hit 60 if your lucky, with the S.... you don't even get the option.

Last edited:
Those last gen consoles will be abandoned this upcoming year I'd hope. But series S won't for the whole gen. I'm not here to argue - just posted my take. I respect all your opinions [..well most].

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Those last gen consoles will be abandoned this upcoming year I'd hope. But series S won't for the whole gen. I'm not here to argue - just posted my take. I respect all your opinions [..well most].
Well, the Series S is a current gen console so it's not gonna be abandoned for the duration of this generation .. so lets come to terms with it already.

I don't see the point in buying a digital-only console locked behind a single store front.
Well some people don't apply long term thinking when it comes to buying consoles which I don't get either.

People keep bringing up saving money when you get the cheaper option but they will spend more with a digital only console especially if they plan to just sell it to upgrade at some point but to each his own I guess.

Stay on target. Soon the great Sony Mother will reveal her location to you and as she holds her motherlode spreadeagled, you will look upon the face of God, knowing you can enter every tech thread with the Cerney advantage and the warm embrace of being on the winning side of every DJ Khalid GIF.

S0ULZB0URNE

Well, we all know that it’s pretty hard to get a PS5 or an Xbox Series X right now unless you’re Twitter tracking and even that has never worked out for me the entire time I’ve been trying it. I am still considering a Switch OLED, but a Series S is also on my mind right now. I’m just thinking that it’s a pretty good deal. I have a 4K TV, but it’s several years old. Maybe 3-4. It’s nothing fancy. Maybe a 50” Samsung and it doesn’t have 120fps or anything like that. I’m just wondering if the Series S is viable for me. I do like the 4K capabilities of the PS5 and Series X and would love to have the top end versions, but if the Series S isn’t complete shit I think I’d be okay with it. I could always sell it down the line when stock stabilizes with the others, because I’m not paying a scalper or chasing Twitter account updates for a “chance” to get a console. For starters, I had a PS5 locked down twice on Best Buy through a Twitter tracker account, but apparently they wouldn’t ship it to me and nowhere within 250 miles of me had it in stock so I was out of luck. My closest Best Buy is over an hour away, the same with Target. That leaves me with Walmart, GameStop, and Amazon as my only options. Two of which (or all 3?) have the consoles locked behind premium membership tiers, so yeah.

What would you do if you were me? The Series S is looking mighty fine to me. I was set on a Switch OLED, but there’s a LOT more games I want to play on the Series S, it’s $50 cheaper, and it has Game Pass. Anyone own a Series S and play it on a 4K TV? How does it look?
If you don't mind buying again after ie a XSX/PS5.
I say do it... you can start building your current gen library.

dcmk7

Banned
With regard to the issues you personally had with the XSS they were easily mitigated and you didn't mention those mitigations.
Topher Topher please for goodness sake provide all the information next time. Whenever you experience a limitation with a console - that you can't personally live with - explain to everyone what you've personally tried and also explain all the possible 'mitigations' that you could have attempted along with a heart felt apology.

Just be a better forum member, ok. Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think the fact Amazon requires you have a prime subscription to purchase a PS5 and an Xbox Series X does not might suggest otherwise...

I would point out that GAME has not had stock of PS5 since confirmed 14/12/2021 and the deal you linked sucked because its an after Christmas preorder with no delivery date the Xbox series X bundles you can buy right now, and while its too late to buy them and be delivered for Christmas, they where available to be delivered today from as recent as yesterday, you can still of course buy them now to be delivered after Christmas, its not a preorder its just no one delivering Christmas day unlike that weird GAME PS5

PS5's outside of being a prime member on Amazon where not available readily this week, colleagues have been actively looking and iv sold them on the Series X given the availability, I am unsure how you are coming to this conclusion given the ready availability of Xbox Series X's right now for several days and the inability of people to get PS5's consistently outside of several hours which requires you to have a subscription to Prime to purchase.
I mean you can just click on the hotukdeals link? Argos, Amazon and Smyths Toys have all had stand alone consoles this week that were in stock for hours, including the DE. Last week Very, Curry’s and EE also had bundles that again were in stock for hours. I even bumped a stock thread on here in case anyone wanted to buy one. They’d been in stock for 3 hours plus at that point.
It’s literally in stock right now :messenger_tears_of_joy: Here’s the link so you can send it to your colleagues who have been actively looking.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean you can just click on the hotukdeals link? Argos, Amazon and Smyths Toys have all had stand alone consoles this week that were in stock for hours, including the DE. Last week Very, Curry’s and EE also had bundles that again were in stock for hours. I even bumped a stock thread on here in case anyone wanted to buy one. They’d been in stock for 3 hours plus at that point.

It’s literally in stock right now :messenger_tears_of_joy: Here’s the link so you can send it to your colleagues who have been actively looking.

I had a look, so Symths was only at select physical stores, they had some online on the 16th which sold out in under one minute. Currys was also physical store locations as depending on post code they would show as unavailable for delivery, and EE require to be on contract with them to buy them from their store front...

Il admit that is certainly better than usual, but these deals that hung around for hours appear to be with some very specific caveats.

Unlike the series X which you can just buy and have delivered... which I did.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
But like how do you not notice the fact that your getting half the frames? Thats always been my issue, yeah sure the S can run older games at 60 and I believe even a few at 120, but I can run things like Froza Horizon 5 at 60 on X and to me that makes a huge a diffrence in how responsive the entire game feels to play. It's one of my biggest issues tbh with the generation, the fact that 30FPS seems to be the target again with a bolted on preformance mode that might hit 60 if your lucky, with the S.... you don't even get the option.

bCGstWu.png

Top Bottom