• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?

Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?

• Total voters
copy the copy lol

naw I'm good
This is my general sentiment as well. MS was clearly on to something with achievements because after they implemented it on the X360 the concept started popping up on other platforms all over the place. I don't think I ever even heard of the trophy system before the achievements hit X360. It's OK for both platforms to do things differently.

ZywyPL

Banned
Hah, I have shitloads of PS3 games where I'm short just a few from getting a Platinum, but I was simply never interested in trophies and the pointless activities to achieve them, nor am I in Achievements.

But I have to say Trophies do look more appealing with their bronze/silver/gold/plat ratings, seems more natural to me

Topher

Gold Member
copy the copy lol

naw I'm good

If it makes it better then why not? The saying "don't reinvent the wheel comes to mind" but I read somewhere that if no one had reinvented the wheel then we wouldn't have radial tires.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

sinseers

Paired up with MS rewards, achievements are actually worth something.
I've never gone out of my way for a platinum.
Not sure how many know that achievements are partially related to MS reward points which can be redeemed for real world money. I in my humble opinion, that makes it more worth while.

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure how many know that achievements are partially related to MS reward points which can be redeemed for real world money. I in my humble opinion, that makes it more worth while.

Yeah, it does, but there is no reward for getting all achievements in a game which is what I'm talking about. Most MS rewards points are not tied to anything specific. Just get an achievement or an achievement for such and such game. I'm looking at this from more of a completionism angle.

sinseers

Yeah, it does, but there is no reward for getting all achievements in a game which is what I'm talking about. Most MS rewards points are not tied to anything specific. Just get an achievement or an achievement for such and such game. I'm looking at this from more of a completionism angle.
I respect your view on the matter then.

Iced Arcade

If it makes it better then why not? The saying "don't reinvent the wheel comes to mind" but I read somewhere that if no one had reinvented the wheel then we wouldn't have radial tires.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
good point. definitely down for some evolving, don't know if I care or see anything more special with trophies platinum though.

Corndog

Banned
I like trophy hunting on PlayStation and I know a lot of other PlayStation gamers do as well. For me it is all about going after the Platinum Trophy. Either I'm getting all the trophies for a game in order to get the Platinum or I don't bother at all. It is just an additional all-or-nothing challenge in a game with a cool payoff in the end. Seeing the Platinum Trophy pop up on the PlayStation screen is really kind of awesome. And being able to see the Platinum Trophy broken out separately in my profile is cool as well. Often times, I'll choose PS to play a game over other platforms just for that challenge.

That is something I really would love to see on Xbox. A Platinum Trophy equivalent. An achievement that is broken out from the rest that shows off many how many times you've gotten 100% of achievements. Matter of fact, I've seen this discussed by other Xbox fans elsewhere. One person on resetera proposed giving it a very Xbox-ish name: The Master Achievement (poor guy was banned. shocker). That's a brilliant play on Master Chief. Would love to see it personally. Jez Corden agrees. What would it hurt? If folks like me would be attracted to play games on Xbox for something like this then why not?

So the poll is just a simple question. Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?
I don’t know if they need to just copy Sony but I do believe they should revamp it.

PhaseJump

Banned
Doesn't really matter. They could just as easily throw together a special list of your 100% completed games and have it featured on your profile page.

Kilau

Gold Member
I think what they should do is make achievements = reward points. So for every achievement you earn, you get the equivalent number of points in Microsoft rewards. It would probably cost way too much to backdate it. Or it may be that 100 achievement points = 1 reward point for that purpose. It's the only way I'd probably care about achievements.
You can get 50 reward points a day for one achievement, everyday. The weeklies give reward points for achievements too.

Topher

Gold Member
Agreed. Achievements helped me get the new wired Xbox headphones for free. 25 platinums on the PS3 / PS4 got me fuck all.

Sony could certainly take some lessons from MS Rewards. No doubt about that. I'm a huge MS Rewards fan. And these improvements to Achievements that we are talking about could certainly tie into MS Rewards as a way to get more points.

Doesn't really matter. They could just as easily throw together a special list of your 100% completed games and have it featured on your profile page.

Good point. Doesn't really have to be implemented the same way as a Platinum trophy at all. A list like you describe and a number next to your gamerscore showing how many you have in that list would suffice fine. Probably a number of clever ways of doing this that would actually increase engagement.

BigBooper

Yea, I think so, but it's hard to say because of how little I care about achievements in general. I'm not interested in grinding for achievements and pretty much only get the ones you get from playing normally, which means I'll rarely catch em all.

If you have to kill 100 enemies with a certain combo I might do something like that, but anything like the Asscreed get feathers or missable stuff where you have to follow a guide to get it I'm done with.

Havoc2049

I'm fine the way it is. I guess MS could go like True Achievements and show a quick reference number in your profile on how many games you maxed out achievements for. The only time I really care is when is when I'm sizing up the competition or my friends in specific multiplayer games. When adding friends to my friends list, I'll also do a quick check of their achievements just to see what kind of games they like and see if we have similar interests.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
I like achievements most on Xbox, just because of gamerscore. The point of achievements is building up that gamerscore, and comparing it with your friends. There is a monthly leaderboard with your friends list, and I find myself trying to compete. Rare achievements are rewarding because they have a special animation/sound.

The point of trophies is to mimic achievements, but it became a motivation/annoyance to 100% games. I find that people complain about getting trophies more than achievements, because one trophy can get in the way of a platinum. I’ve heard multiple conversations of someone saying “IM NOT PLAYING XXX BECAUSE ITS TOO HARD TO PLATNIUM.” That kind of mindset is wrong, and trophies breed that. Do people even care about bronze or silver trophies? What if a bronze or silver trophy is much harder than any gold trophy for a game?

Topher

Gold Member
Yea, I think so, but it's hard to say because of how little I care about achievements in general. I'm not interested in grinding for achievements and pretty much only get the ones you get from playing normally, which means I'll rarely catch em all.

If you have to kill 100 enemies with a certain combo I might do something like that, but anything like the Asscreed get feathers or missable stuff where you have to follow a guide to get it I'm done with.

Certainly not for everyone. And not all games are worth the effort. Typically I evaluate a game beforehand to determine if going for Platinum is worth it. I got the plat for AC:V earlier this year, for example. Prior to even attempting I went to this site:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/assassins-creed-valhalla/guide/

Two things I look for. 1) Does it require online trophies. 2) How many playthroughs does it require. Kena Bridge of Spirits, for example, was a no-go as it required you to play twice (second time on max difficulty). Devs can be really stupid about trophy implementation, obviously. Most folks don't want to have to play the same game twice for a damn trophy. AC:V was pretty straightforward though. Just get all the trophies, none online, and only one play through. Checks all my boxes.

I'm fine the way it is. I guess MS could go like True Achievements and show a quick reference number in your profile on how many games you maxed out achievements for. The only time I really care is when is when I'm sizing up the competition or my friends in specific multiplayer games. When adding friends to my friends list, I'll also do a quick check of their achievements just to see what kind of games they like and see if we have similar interests.

Yep. Could really be just that simple for those, like myself, looking for that visual metric.

I like achievements most on Xbox, just because of gamerscore. The point of achievements is building up that gamerscore, and comparing it with your friends. There is a monthly leaderboard with your friends list, and I find myself trying to compete. Rare achievements are rewarding because they have a special animation/sound.

The point of trophies is to mimic achievements, but it became a motivation/annoyance to 100% games. I find that people complain about getting trophies more than achievements, because one trophy can get in the way of a platinum. I’ve heard multiple conversations of someone saying “IM NOT PLAYING XXX BECAUSE ITS TOO HARD TO PLATNIUM.” That kind of mindset is wrong, and trophies breed that. Do people even care about bronze or silver trophies? What if a bronze or silver trophy is much harder than any gold trophy for a game?

Having a different mindset doesn't make it wrong. Trophies contribute to an overall score just like achievements do. Platinum is an added layer for those who are completionists. I don't think an unattainable platinum should be a deterrent for playing the game. That may be the case for some, but I doubt it is for most. In any case, that is their choice if it is.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Trophy hunting is fun but it is very time consuming, so I only grab the platinum if I really enjoy the game. If it's not something truly special I don't think it's worth going that extra mile.

Roberts

Achivos are definitely lacking an equivalent of Platinium, but otherwise I prefer the simplicity of the 1000/1000 system. Also, there is nothing like the sound of getting a rare achievement.

Also, I didn’t really care about achievements in general, but after signing up for TrueAchievements I tend to at least look for stuff that isn’t going to make me grind for days. Until around 2017, I had only one 1000/1000 game, now I have around 30. It’s probably GPass fault, because I play way more indie games and they are usually faster/easier to complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topher

Gold Member
Achivos are definitely lacking an equivalent of Platinium, but otherwise I prefer the simplicity of the 1000/1000 system. Also, there is nothing like the sound of getting a rare achievement.

Also, I didn’t really care about achievements in general, but after signing up for TrueAchievements I tend to at least look for stuff that isn’t going to make me grind for days. Until around 2017, I had only one 1000/1000 game, now I have around 30. It’s probably GPass fault, because I play way more indie games and they are usually faster/easier to complete.

How do you find out how many 1000/1000 games you have?

Pantz

Not a platinum. I don't really like the platinum stuff. The achievement system could use a revamp and something new, I don't know what exactly, but they should come up with something cool.

Trophy hunting is fun but it is very time consuming, so I only grab the platinum if I really enjoy the game. If it's not something truly special I don't think it's worth going that extra mile.
I used to be a big achievement hunter back in the 360 days. Mirrors Edge broke me. I realized I was wasting my time hunting for these damn things instead of enjoying the games. With that said, if I'm truly enjoying a game, I will go the extra mile but only if those achievements are easily accessible. Sable (now on Game Pass) is absolutely one of those games. It's got a lot of performance issues but despite that it's my game of the year. Super chill game with no combat or fail state. Fully exploring the story and map will eventually net you all achievements. It's extremely rare I go out of my way to do that at my age (35) but it was worth it for this title.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It would make me less interested.

When I had a PS4 I really disliked the trophy thing. I thought it was stupid and a poor copy of Xbox achievements. I have zero interest in chasing collectathons just to get some 100% meaningless gimmick. Just give me my achievements and gamerscore for whatever achievements I get or choose to chase.

Bridges

On the 360 (at least on a certain iteration of the dashboard) when you looked at your achievements, it showed you a page of the games you had collected all the achievements for with a little icon for each.

I don't necessarily need a "platinum" achievement but it'd be cool to see this come back, maybe just put a little pin on your profile with the logo for each game you've completed.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I've always enjoyed getting achievements if I think they're interesting enough to get. I couldn't care less about the larger meta like platinum trophies or overall points. So MS adding something for completing all other achievements holds little interest to me. Maybe if they added a cool wallpaper or something I could be swayed.

Topher

Gold Member
On the 360 (at least on a certain iteration of the dashboard) when you looked at your achievements, it showed you a page of the games you had collected all the achievements for with a little icon for each.

I don't necessarily need a "platinum" achievement but it'd be cool to see this come back, maybe just put a little pin on your profile with the logo for each game you've completed.

That's probably how I should have phrased the question. I think this comparison to trophies might be tweaking some warrior vibes for some. Doesn't need to copy plats at all, I realize, after reading some posts. Just an indicator of how many games you've completed exactly as you say. That would work.

Never understood trophy hunting in games at all.

It´s not like you get anything for it besides a "true" bool value in some database.....

Well that's the best thing about boolean. Even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
UBI does it the best, points are used for unlocks in-game, in any game, or an unconditional (it stacks with sales) 20% discount on your next purchase.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The only way they will ever get me to pay attention is if they offer rewards for them. Doesn’t need to be much, but if my points could earn me a free month of Game Pass or something, I would pay more attention.

Reactions: Isa
The only way they will ever get me to pay attention is if they offer rewards for them. Doesn’t need to be much, but if my points could earn me a free month of Game Pass or something, I would pay more attention.
Well, you actually can earn 50 points per day if you get one achievement. Complete enough of the rewards in a month, and you can earn free months of Game Pass regularly. I think I've earned about 5 free months this year, just by playing

Isa

Not sure on this. Its not super vital to my enjoyment of a game, I've fallen off the trophy hunting save for games I really love. I've noticed that some games have a high score value, usually around 100gs and has the same description of a platinum, i.e. get all other achievements. I really enjoy the different sounds in the xbox achievements for rares, sounds special. Also the rewards system is fantastic on Xbox. I've redeemed so many $25 and $50 spacebuck points this year and I only got my Series X in June. I also like having larger art on some cheevos, saw some friends getting a few in Smite and I was like damn, get a load of those sweet bitties!

SGRU

Huge YES for me. I will always choose PS5 over Series X when playing a game (except for exclusives and Game Pass) because of that.

Platinum trophies are so rewarding...

Enjay

Banned
.....The fuck is op talking about? An equivalent to platinum trophies? You mean a 100%? Platinum trophies don't even mean anything anymore now that almost every other game has dlc trophies.

Topher

Gold Member
You asked, I answered. What's the problem? If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question!

I wasn't asking about a third party app at all. I was asking how you would do this from within Xbox as the person I was asking seemed to indicate there was a way. Is that clarification enough?

.....The fuck is op talking about? An equivalent to platinum trophies? You mean a 100%? Platinum trophies don't even mean anything anymore now that almost every other game has dlc trophies.

DLC trophies don't have anything to do with Platinum or getting 100% achievements of the main game so why even bring it up?

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I wasn't asking about a third party app at all. I was asking how you would do this from within Xbox as the person I was asking seemed to indicate there was a way. Is that clarification enough?

DLC trophies don't have anything to do with Platinum so why even bring it up?

And I answered that too, download the TA app on your Xbox, it's real easy and once installed in a couple of seconds it's one button press away to find out how many games you have 1000/1000 on since it's on the first page when you open the app on your Xbox...sheesh, talk about clarification...

FrankWza

It would make me less interested.

When I had a PS4 I really disliked the trophy thing. I thought it was stupid and a poor copy of Xbox achievements. I have zero interest in chasing collectathons just to get some 100% meaningless gimmick. Just give me my achievements and gamerscore for whatever achievements I get or choose to chase.
No Way Wow GIF by CBC

No, I love achievements, I never liked the trophy system when I was multiplatform in the PS360 generation I couldn't care less for them, probably because one was fresh and original and the other a simple knockoff and afterthought.
Democratic Debate Shocker GIF by GIPHY News

I prefer achievements for some reason
200.gif

Not really. The Xbox achievement system is by far the best and shouldn't be changed with platinum silver bronze achievements.

What a weird discussion
How Dare You Wow GIF by Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham

Top Bottom