• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you have preferred that the multiplayer of Halo Infinite was not free?

Which would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Kssio_Aug

Warzone? Very free and very awesome.

Thread title and poll are saying different things btw.

And I say it's a good thing cuz I'll be trying it out soon enough when I wouldn't if I had to buy the game.
Yeah, I'm aware of Warzone, but I prefer more classic modes instead of BR. Still, I also think that Warzone being F2P was an excellent idea!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Honestly, those are my main complain. But this too: progression system is fucking people minds, leaving the server because 'muh challenge'
I also think that if 343i didn't lost time with this progression system and F2P systems, we would have more maps and a more user friendly game (of course this is just my opinion). Also the fact that you can't choose what to play is because they want you to try hard to finish those challenges.
I think you are being a bit reductive in how much it takes to start a new game. Infinite is a departure from all previous games in terms of tech and the design. While you have the DNA of the franchise, its not really a sequel in terms of design from Halo 4 and 5. it plays completely different which is going to take a lot of time to design where as something thats a direct sequel thats running on similar tech and features can hit the ground running much faster.

I don't see any scenario where not being F2P and Progression would have somehow increased map count dramatically etc. Could more budget have been spent on art and design teams for maps? Maybe.Without team size numbers, whos working on what etc, its really impossible to be certain. But I dont see a progressions and F2P system requiring a massive amount of people and budget.

Maybe you could argue that designing the cosmetics could have taken budget away from maps but considering they had a ton of cosmetics in 5 and that didnt take away from map designs I don't think its an argument that holds a lot of weight.

Could 343 drop a bunch of classic maps and save time. For sure, but they still require a lot of testing and QA as what worked in those maps previously might not work in modern flow. Having equipment and a sprint can vastly change how a map flows and what was once an amazing map, like Lockout for example, might be bad in Infinite. Good map design takes time even if you have a place to start from previous work.

Progression system isnt good imo either but its what they decided to go with. I am sure they have asked the same questions everyone else is already asking/have issues with. But decided that a vast majority of players will be fine with it. They could be dead wrong and if they are they will likely make changes. You dont know sometimes till you get feedback and its been out in the wild for awhile.

Game modes I agree with as well that they to let me pick what I want to play. But this is indeed a Beta. This very well could be open in the final game.

carlosrox

Banned
Yeah, I'm aware of Warzone, but I prefer more classic modes instead of BR. Still, I also think that Warzone being F2P was an excellent idea!

It has Plunder too. Plunder is great, it's not BR at all. Plunder you can basically do whatever you want with infinite respawns.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I don’t care about the skins that much at all and this means more people can play it. Everyone on my freinds list is playing it. This is a huge success

JoeBudden

Threads about weather halo mp being F2P is good and then OP lists pros and cons?

ANvVHkk.gif

That's because you need to cushion these fanboys with some pros before you can have a real discussion about what needs work in this or any game.

F2P model is fine if we get a sufficient amount of free content (which we kinda did) and actually got paid content that took some effort by the artists and developers. Paying for recolours is fucking egregious. Apex does this same bullshit. I feel like Warzone is the only game that has the F2P model done right. You pay for reasonably priced bundles that come with a character and gun skin that actually looks like it took some effort to make. There's obviously some immersion breaking shit with the Cold War era Warzone paid content, but this shit was perfect with MW2019 era Warzone.

Last edited:

Murdok

I believe that because of the quality of the game, it far surpasses most F2p games, it would in itself attract the public. logically, the fact that it's free greatly increases acceptance, but if many of these people knew beforehand the quality of the IP, I don't see why they wouldn't buy the game. This fits into any game.

no, because we've seen time and time again. FREE is the biggest entry point into a online ecosystem.

Way more ppl are going to play this now. I would not have bought Fortnite. I would not have bought Apex Legends. The amount of ppl playing Halo Infinite is probably double what Halo 5 was at launch

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
One could say do you have insider information to prove your point? Same thing.
Now I'm saying this because of previous Halo games. You can choose the mode you wanna play, the map and have a tons of variation (and customization). There isn't a battlepass too.
Halo Infinite is supposed to be the ultimate Halo experience, the magnum opus, and yet the multiplayer is lacking a lot compared to previous entry. Some choices they made when designing the multiplayer are really baffling me.

The burden of proof isnt on me.
You stated: because the game is F2P thats why it has these issue.
Im asking you what proof you have of that?
These design decisions dont seem to be F2P based.....which is why I asky what insider information do you have that says once they knew they were going F2P they decided to cut the map count?

Whether the game was F2P or behind a full purchase the issues you pointed out could and likely would still be present....maybe only with the Battlepass not being as aggressive.

If they decided their MP this time around wouldnt have custom playlists....thats what was designed....how does the game being F2P or not actually effect that decision?
MCC has a battlepass btw.

You seem to have issue with the game in general....very little to do with the game being F2P, just general decisions.

So your OP and your poll seem alittle(alot) misguided.
Other than the battlepass, the issues you have with the game have nothing to do with the game being F2P.

Jimmy_liv

So first of all, let me just say what I like in the game first:
- the weapons are feeling good, you get a nice response from shooting and the sound is also amazing
- movement is improved a lot, it plays great on m/k
- the art style is still a big win for me, I can't wait to dive into the single player
- the maps available are all great imo

Now, let's talk about what I think is a step down compared to previous Halo:
- the number of maps, it is missing a lot of map imo, new and classic maps from previous Halo (give me Blood Gulch, Battle Creek and Zanzibar!)
- that progression system is fucking people minds, leaving the server because 'muh challenge'
- no playlist choices and no server browser. That was here in the MCC, so now we regressing?
- I also think that if 343i didn't lost time with this progression and F2P systems, we would have more maps and a more user friendly game (that's just my opinion of course)

The progression system is the least of my problem, if it wasn't here I wouldn't even notice. I just don't care but it introduce problems as I said before.

Those are points that can be, and will be addressed I hope. The game has a lot of potential but 343i needs to bring back everything we loved in previous Halo as this is supposed to be the ultimate Halo experience.
At the end, this doesn't feel like a fully fleshed out multiplayer, it lack that "premium" feels you get in previous title in the franchise mostly because it lack content and has a weird progression system.
It's in beta. You're comparing with MCC and that's been tweaked and updated for years. How about comparing the first few days of MCC life with that of infinite.

I think getting it f2p and not having some 'unprecedented demand' error or server issues is nothing short of a minor miracle. I'm not a fan of 343 but in this case that's damned good work.

In 6 months time the progression, maps and play lists will look very very different.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
How would it not being F2P have made it better? Have a large player base is the most important thing.

Would you have preferred that the multiplayer of Halo Infinite was not free?​

Poll question:

Halo Infinite F2P, a good idea?​

Not confusing at all... but f2p is a good idea...the game is high quality with a low barrier of entry...no negatives at all.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I think you are being a bit reductive in how much it takes to start a new game. Infinite is a departure from all previous games in terms of tech and the design. While you have the DNA of the franchise, its not really a sequel in terms of design from Halo 4 and 5. it plays completely different which is going to take a lot of time to design where as something thats a direct sequel thats running on similar tech and features can hit the ground running much faster.

I don't see any scenario where not being F2P and Progression would have somehow increased map count dramatically etc. Could more budget have been spent on art and design teams for maps? Maybe.Without team size numbers, whos working on what etc, its really impossible to be certain. But I dont see a progressions and F2P system requiring a massive amount of people and budget.

Maybe you could argue that designing the cosmetics could have taken budget away from maps but considering they had a ton of cosmetics in 5 and that didnt take away from map designs I don't think its an argument that holds a lot of weight.

Could 343 drop a bunch of classic maps and save time. For sure, but they still require a lot of testing and QA as what worked in those maps previously might not work in modern flow. Having equipment and a sprint can vastly change how a map flows and what was once an amazing map, like Lockout for example, might be bad in Infinite. Good map design takes time even if you have a place to start from previous work.

Progression system isnt good imo either but its what they decided to go with. I am sure they have asked the same questions everyone else is already asking/have issues with. But decided that a vast majority of players will be fine with it. They could be dead wrong and if they are they will likely make changes. You dont know sometimes till you get feedback and its been out in the wild for awhile.

Game modes I agree with as well that they to let me pick what I want to play. But this is indeed a Beta. This very well could be open in the final game.
Time will tell, you have some fair point but there is still some choices I can't understand, just like you it seem.

The burden of proof isnt on me.
You stated: because the game is F2P thats why it has these issue.
Im asking you what proof you have of that?
These design decisions dont seem to be F2P based.....which is why I asky what insider information do you have that says once they knew they were going F2P they decided to cut the map count?

Whether the game was F2P or behind a full purchase the issues you pointed out could and likely would still be present....maybe only with the Battlepass not being as aggressive.

If they decided their MP this time around wouldnt have custom playlists....thats what was designed....how does the game being F2P or not actually effect that decision?
MCC has a battlepass btw.

You seem to have issue with the game in general....very little to do with the game being F2P, just general decisions.

So your OP and your poll seem alittle(alot) misguided.
Other than the battlepass, the issues you have with the game have nothing to do with the game being F2P.
The thread is also tagged as an opinion, you don't have to agree with me.
And I'm not saying they decided to cut the map count, but I do think ressources could have been allowed better.
Example of a design choice I think is directly connected to the game being F2P: the playlist. You can't choose what to play because they want you to play multiple games before having the right thing for your challenge. This introduce players leaving early. Not fun. It's my opinion, and for now nothing I read is enough to make me think otherwise.
Again, time will tell I guess.

Other than what listed in the OP, I'm really enjoying it and I can't wait for more content.

I did click no because of the title, lol

OP, you fucked up

Would you have preferred that the multiplayer of Halo Infinite was not free?​

Poll question:

Halo Infinite F2P, a good idea?​

Not confusing at all... but f2p is a good idea...the game is high quality with a low barrier of entry...no negatives at all.
My bad, Mod of War Mod of War can you please change the question? For something clearer and more in line with the title?

I voted no because I thought that they wouldn’t have then bothered with the battle pass. However, they would have done that regardless. It’s a great game though!

I just hope they keep the f2p bullshit UI to an absolute minimum. Some of those f2p games do nothing but throw that crap in your face. Even CoD is a bit on the nose with all that.

Being free to play isn't a problem. What really will determine the answer to the question is in how 343 responds to feedback, which will take time. Typically 343 has been really good about listening to the community. I don't like the progression system at all, so I'm hoping 343 will implement some good improvements to it. This is one of those things where we'll have to come back and revisit the question on December 8th, and months after December 8th.

DaGwaphics

Your poll is going to be completely screwed. Your thread title asks if people would prefer if the MP wasn't free and then the survey title asks if it being free is a good idea. I had immediately filled in "no" in the poll thinking I was answering the thread title question until I saw how you phrased the actual poll question.

It's kind of genius though if the OP really wanted the poll to have a specific end result.

AJUMP23

not really, because Apex introduces new heroes which is more exciting than just skins in Halo.

Also new maps aren't as exciting since in Apex its an entire open world map essentially rather than a new tiny arena.

They'd have to do something more unique to their style of game to keep people interested.
They could start letting you play as Cortana or other AIs in the game. Or other soldiers and characters from the series.

yurinka

I think a F2P GaaS is better than a premium GaaS because the only difference is that you must pay a fee to enter in the premium version. Being F2P means many more people will play it so the game will have a longer live in the online and will be easier to find people of your same level in the game.

Relique

I am enjoying it and glad others are too. It's more fun and balanced than I thought it would be and I can see myself playing it casually for a long time.

With that being said it does feel like F2P steals some of GamePass's thunder for me. I wish they gave the first season pass for free to GamePass subscribers. Maybe I am just too greedy.

ZywyPL

Banned
I personally wouldn't spend even 10$ on it... As much as the core gameplay is fun, the game is seriously outdated with its mechanics, the lack of dedicated game modes in 2021 alone is absurd in my books, not to mention the modes you have to play like CTF and Oddball are the worst modes I've ever seen in a MP shooter (ESPECIALLY Oddball), why am I being forced to play this BS? I could go on and on for days how many things are flawed and how, but nevertheless, I learned to simply have fun with the game anyway with what if offers - I just play a couple of rounds vs bots every day after work, just run and gun whatever the mode it is, and have a lot of fun, because shooting all those guns and getting kills IS such a damn fun regardless, something that cannot be said about games like CoD or BF. It's a much better experience than what Halo 5 was overall (I preferred the maps in H5 so much more tho), but the game is also still grounded with its concept 20 years in the past. And that being said, I have absolutely no doubts the game would've been such a success if it wasn't F2P.

GloveSlap

its gets more people to play and makes releasing new maps easier so i don't mind. Charging for maps that splintered the player base sucked in Halo 2 and 3.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo can afford to do F2P because they count on people to buy it for story it’s the best selling Xbox franchise by a long shot.

Knightime_X

Unless its been patched....Halo infinite in a nutshell
Capture the Flag, ODDBALL, Capture the flag, Capture the flag, Capture the flag, oddball, SLAYER!, Capture the flag, Capture the flag, Capture the flag, ODDBALL, ODDBALL

I just want to fucking play slayer FFS.
If this is how Quick Play remains i'm already done with halo infinite.

So first of all, let me just say what I like in the game first:
- the weapons are feeling good, you get a nice response from shooting and the sound is also amazing
- movement is improved a lot, it plays great on m/k
- the art style is still a big win for me, I can't wait to dive into the single player
- the maps available are all great imo

Now, let's talk about what I think is a step down compared to previous Halo:
- the number of maps, it is missing a lot of map imo, new and classic maps from previous Halo (give me Blood Gulch, Battle Creek and Zanzibar!)
- that progression system is fucking people minds, leaving the server because 'muh challenge'
- no playlist choices and no server browser. That was here in the MCC, so now we regressing?
- I also think that if 343i didn't lost time with this progression and F2P systems, we would have more maps and a more user friendly game (that's just my opinion of course)

The progression system is the least of my problem, if it wasn't here I wouldn't even notice. I just don't care but it introduce problems as I said before.

Those are points that can be, and will be addressed I hope. The game has a lot of potential but 343i needs to bring back everything we loved in previous Halo as this is supposed to be the ultimate Halo experience.
At the end, this doesn't feel like a fully fleshed out multiplayer, it lack that "premium" feels you get in previous title in the franchise mostly because it lack content and has a weird progression system.
Is there a game that cost money to play that is available in Gamepass? So why this has to be exception and need money to play the online part of the game?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wouldn't have had 11 of my work mates online last night and queued up to play tonight if it wasn't free 2 play, so no I'm glad it is. It will probably get more support and make more money due to it also.

Kev Kev

How is it not free. All modes, maps and guns are free right. Does pass includes non cosmetic stuffs ?
no youre right it is. i thought you have to have a xbox live account, but you dont. which is great! i hope they do more truly free to play type of stuff. in the past a game like rocket league would be "free to play" but then youd still have to have a live sub to play it, so it wasnt really free to play

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It’s not exactly free lol but I don’t mind it being f2p, no
Its literally Free to play....how is it "not exactly free" what do you have to pay for....what hidden costs are in the game.

On Topic.
New poll answer.
Keep it F2P I dont like paying for things if i dont have to.

I dont give a damn about cosmetics, so ill probably never actually pay for the premium battlepass or any of the packs.
Will pay for campaign but otherwise keep it F2P

The "bad" design decisions arent tied to the game being F2P they are tied to being "bad" design decisions.

MikeM

I selected "make people buy the game." Only because F2P tends to have a higher volume of cheaters from my experience playing both kinds of games.

side question: Why is there no 120hz mode on Series X? Is it dead because of the beta?

Banjo64

cumsessed
no youre right it is. i thought you have to have a xbox live account, but you dont. which is great! i hope they do more truly free to play type of stuff. in the past a game like rocket league would be "free to play" but then youd still have to have a live sub to play it, so it wasnt really free to play
They dropped the Gold requirement for all F2P games in the immediate aftermath of their disastrous attempt to double the price of Gold.

You did hurt my feelings but don’t worry, I know you didn’t mean to. I like how you changed the parameters from ‘no chance against’ to ‘how is Halo bigger than CoD’.

5 months ago it was confirmed that the Master Chief Collection has over 10 million users on PC alone. Throughout the last 18 months it’s regularly charted in the top 10 on Steam’s sale chart.

CoD Vanguard sales are down 44% in the UK.

You seem to be under the illusion that there is a chasm between these franchises when in reality it’s a crack in the pavement. Not to mention the fact that Halo Infinite, unlike Vanguard and 2042, is actually a good game.

I realise now that I obviously hurt your feelings by insinuating that you are a clown, so I would like to take this moment to apologise and I hope this won’t affect our relationship moving forward.

kingsley shut up GIF

Top Bottom