• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you like to see Michael Mann direct a sequel to Heat?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
the guy is writing a book that is a prequel/sequel to the events of Heat

Described by Michael Mann as both a prequel and sequel to the renowned, critically acclaimed film of the same name, Heat 2 covers the formative years of homicide detective Vincent Hanna (Oscar winner Al Pacino) and elite criminals Neil McCauley (Oscar winner Robert De Niro), Chris Shiherlis (Val Kilmer), and Nate (Oscar winner Jon Voight), and features the same extraordinary ambition, scope, rich characterizations, and attention to detail as the epic film.

This new story leads up to the events of the film and then moves beyond it, featuring new characters on both sides of the law, new high-line heists, and breathtakingly cinematic action sequences. Ranging from the streets of L.A. to the inner sancta of rival Taiwanese crime syndicates in Paraguay to a massive drug cartel money-laundering operation just over the border in Mexico, Heat 2 illuminates the dangerous workings of international crime organizations and the agents who pursue them as it provides a full-blooded portrait of the men and women who inhabit both worlds. Operatic in scope, Heat 2 is engrossing, moving, and tragic — a masterpiece of crime fiction from one of the most innovative and influential filmmakers in American cinema.

Aggelos

The way Michael Mann put it in Sep 2019, sounds like he plans to adapt his novel into a film.

" In March 2016, Mann announced that he is developing a Heat prequel novel as part of launching his company Michael Mann Books. In April 2017, Reed Farrel Coleman was attached to the project. In September 2019, Mann was asked whether he will produce a film of the novel, to which he replied "absolutely" and stated "the landscape is changing so radically and so quickly, who knows?" when being asked on whether it would be a film or a series. In May 2020, 25 years following the film's release, Michael Mann stated that the novel would be both a prequel and a sequel to the film's main events. In January 2022, the novel was finally revealed to be a co-collaboration between Mann and writer Meg Gardiner with a release date scheduled for August 2022. "

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I wonder if this fleshes out Hanna taking coke? Sure on the director commentary MM refers to Hanna having a coke addiction hence him always acting how he does throughout the film.

GeekyDad

I wonder if this fleshes out Hanna taking coke? Sure on the director commentary MM refers to Hanna having a coke addiction hence him always acting how he does throughout the film.
Huh...wasn't aware of that, but sounds about right, considering his hyped behavior and attitude.

SJRB

Gold Member
20 years too late for a sequel.

Besides, you can't just replace DeNiro, Pacino or Val Kilmer like that - their performance and chemistry was the heart and soul of the first movie.

I'd be totally down for a fresh new "Heat" though with new characters and new stories, directed by Mann. NO REMAKE!

FunkMiller

No.

It rarely - if ever - works out when aging directors return to the well that made them famous. In fact, it’s usually a disaster.

It’s called Ridley Scott Syndrome.

winjer

Gold Member
Somehow I missed this film back in the day. Only saw it a couple of years ago, and loved it.
I was truly missing out on this amazing movie.

But making a prequel and/or sequel now, it two decades too late.

Mr Hyde

Absolutely not. Heat is a bonafide masterpiece and it wouldn't be to no one's advantage, be it Mann, Pacino, De Niro or Kilmer, to revisit this movie with a prequel or a sequel.

Top Bottom