• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would You Pay For A Mid-Gen PS5 Pro Or Xbox Series X Upgrade?

Would You Pay For A Mid-Gen PS5 Pro Or Xbox Series X Upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 108 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 72 27.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I’ll wait for Next-Gen

Votes: 23 8.7%
  • I’d rather buy a High-End PC instead

Votes: 18 6.8%

• Total voters

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
960x0.jpg

We are far enough into this console generation where, like last console generation, the idea of a mid-gen PlayStation and Xbox upgrade is starting to be a topic of conversation.

PS4 and Xbox One were both released in 2013. The PS4 Pro arrived in 2016, three years later. The Xbox One X arrive in 2017, four years later.

The PS5 was released in 2020, and in early 2023, we are approaching that three year mark. The Xbox Series X/S was released in 2020 as well, so by the same metric, perhaps November 2024.

But this generation feels different than last generation, with different considerations on both sides. And for me, who buys every console ever, I would probably have a hard time shelling out another $400-500 for an upgraded system which would be…how upgraded, exactly?

960x0.jpg

PlayStation​

It’s pretty obvious why PlayStation isn’t launching a PS5 Pro this coming fall, given that supply of PS5s only just started to come close to matching demand. The current PS5 is starting to blow past the PS4 now that people can actually get one, and it would feel odd to launch a PS5 Pro in that climate.

There is a rumor that PlayStation is working on a PS5 Pro all the same. This generation, they seem to have a slight power disparity to Xbox Series X, when it was the other way around last time. Though if you look at a game like Horizon Forbidden West, you probably wouldn’t know it. It does seem like Sony will indeed eventually release a PS5 Pro, but it may be a lot more delayed than the three year window we got last time around. I just hope it can sit sideways less awkwardly.

0x0.jpg

Xbox

Xbox is in a different place than PlayStation, and also in a different place than it was in the Xbox One era. That system launched with the narrative that it was underpowered compared the base PS4 (even if I’d argue that was pretty overblown) and therefore felt the need to prove itself with a very powerful Xbox One X a year after the PS4 Pro launched so they could declare they’d “won” the power race. Of course that didn’t exactly result in some massive sales surge to catch PlayStation, but that was the schedule last time around.

Now, things are different. Microsoft seems resigned to the fact they are not going to catch Sony in console sales, and try to say they don’t really care about that, and instead are focused on getting Xbox Game Pass on as many devices as possible. So the rumor about a new Xbox Series console is not a supercharged version of the X to try to pass PS5 in power (the Series X already technically has the power edge, a bit), but instead the idea of an even smaller, cheaper Xbox that may serve as some sort of streaming box only for Microsoft’s Game Pass/Cloud Gaming ambitions.

Also, the problem with Xbox right now is not power. It has all the power you could ask for for most console games, but the problem ends up being the games themselves sometimes, like what we’ve seen with Redfall launching only at 30 FPS. That’s on the game, not on the Xbox hardware.

For me personally, I just…can’t see myself buying a new PlayStation or Xbox variant any time soon that is not a fully new generation. First, because it’s hard to imagine a system with enough significant upgrades to make that worth it, given current tech. We’re not exactly going to see Cyberpunk Overdrive path tracing on console anytime soon. Second, because I’ve gotten much deeper into PC gaming as of later, and have been playing everything possible on PC. My main game Destiny 2, most third party games. I will probably pick up Redfall on PC instead of Xbox to avoid the 30 FPS issue. So I’m personally less motivated by slight console upgrades for $500 right now. But we’ll see if the larger public disagrees. We may, however, only end up seeing one from Sony rather than both this time around.

Metnut

Only have a PS5 right now but at some point around 2025 Series X will probably have enough exclusives to interest me, so at that point, I’ll probably buy the most powerful Microsoft console.

The vast majority of games this gen haven't even been optimized for Series X/PS5, let alone maxed them out. I'll probably get suckered into buying one again but unless this gen is like 8+ years long I don't think they're nearly as necessary as they were last gen. Xbox One/PS4 were underpowered at launch, and 4K becoming mainstream during that gen made it even more necessary to take advantage. The Series X/PS5 were not underpowered at launch, and there is no big advancement in TV's coming like 8K that would warrant a change. I'm sure they'll make one because it will make them lots of money, but it's a very different scenario than what made the mid-gen refresh necessary last gen

Celcius

°Temp. member
I voted maybe. I already have a ps5 with a 2tb SSD and I also have a very capable PC, so a Pro console isn't something I really need at the moment.

Knightime_X

Only if they announce it early.
I'll just wait.
No point in console launch then.
Also not that many games during launch.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I am waiting for the redesign of the PS5, so the only scenario where I would buy the ‘pro variant’ would be if that dropped within the same timeframe as the PS5 ‘slim’.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I've had a PS5 since 2021. I've been really disappointed with the number of exclusives. It's basically been my Warzone machine, since that game runs poorly on PC (relatively) for some reason. I loved Demons' Souls remake, dabbled with Ratchet and Clank, and...those are about the only games I'm interested in that I can't play on my RTX 3080 PC. Yet.

So I voted "maybe" being contingent on the number of exclusives released by that time and how impactful of a graphical upgrade it'd be.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The vast majority of games this gen haven't even been optimized for Series X/PS5, let alone maxed them out. I'll probably get suckered into buying one again but unless this gen is like 8+ years long I don't think they're nearly as necessary as they were last gen. Xbox One/PS4 were underpowered at launch, and 4K becoming mainstream during that gen made it even more necessary to take advantage. The Series X/PS5 were not underpowered at launch, and there is no big advancement in TV's coming like 8K that would warrant a change. I'm sure they'll make one because it will make them lots of money, but it's a very different scenario than what made the mid-gen refresh necessary last gen
Disagree. The fact that we've had to choose between high performance and high fidelity day 1 in most current gen console games feels like a big "these boxes were behind from the start" revelation. That's not a symptom of cross gen and it's not going to get better with time. Especially as the dependence on third party engines grows. Developers are less capable than ever of squeezing out more performance because they have less access to the metal.

The big advancement this time around is rapid progression in graphics hardware capabilities. Developers have a new gen of PC graphics tech that's going to make them more ambitious as they flex the latest RT and AI image reconstruction tooling that current gen consoles weren't made for. The solution last gen was an incremental hardware upgrade or be pretty much locked at 1080p/30 and I doubt that this gen will be much different.

Last edited:

ungalo

Midgens will always be underexploited and dumped quickly.

And i would feel like shit to upgrade to a midgen when the gen basically never even started. Sony and Microsoft sure don't deserve any more money from me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
PS5 Pro, yes. Xbox Series X Pro, I am not sure. MS needs to show me they can get their 1st party development under control.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Disagree. The fact that we've had to choose between high performance and high fidelity day 1 in most current gen console games feels like a big "these boxes were behind from the start" revelation. That's not a symptom of cross gen and it's not going to get better with time. Especially as the dependence on third party engines grows. Developers are less capable than ever of squeezing out more performance because they have less access to the metal.

The big advancement this time around is rapid progression in graphics hardware capabilities. Developers have a new gen of PC graphics tech that's going to make them more ambitious as they flex the latest RT and AI image reconstruction tooling that current gen consoles weren't made for. The solution last gen was an incremental hardware upgrade or be pretty much locked at 1080p/30 and I doubt that this gen will be much different.
How can you disagree? These consoles had Ryzen 3000/RDNA 2 chips in them day 1 when that stuff was scarcely available at the time. RDNA 2 was pretty much the best available AMD GPU at the time, although the 5000 series CPUs were quite a bit better than the 3000, they were still pretty good. Short of going with far more expensive hardware, I am not understanding how they could have been much better than what we got in the beginning.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Next-gen, there are no games yet that push these consoles. Heck, we only have Ratchet and Horizon that look like belong to this generation.

Last edited:
To play what games exactly?
This right here. How many current gen exclusives need the extra horsepower of a Pro console right now? Most current gen games are offering both 4k 30fps and 1440p 60fps modes, with some offering 1080p 120fps modes. What would the benefit be? 4k60? That's not enough of an upgrade to make a new console worth it to me.

960x0.jpg

We are far enough into this console generation where, like last console generation, the idea of a mid-gen PlayStation and Xbox upgrade is starting to be a topic of conversation.

PS4 and Xbox One were both released in 2013. The PS4 Pro arrived in 2016, three years later. The Xbox One X arrive in 2017, four years later.

The PS5 was released in 2020, and in early 2023, we are approaching that three year mark. The Xbox Series X/S was released in 2020 as well, so by the same metric, perhaps November 2024.

But this generation feels different than last generation, with different considerations on both sides. And for me, who buys every console ever, I would probably have a hard time shelling out another $400-500 for an upgraded system which would be…how upgraded, exactly?

960x0.jpg

PlayStation​

It’s pretty obvious why PlayStation isn’t launching a PS5 Pro this coming fall, given that supply of PS5s only just started to come close to matching demand. The current PS5 is starting to blow past the PS4 now that people can actually get one, and it would feel odd to launch a PS5 Pro in that climate.

There is a rumor that PlayStation is working on a PS5 Pro all the same. This generation, they seem to have a slight power disparity to Xbox Series X, when it was the other way around last time. Though if you look at a game like Horizon Forbidden West, you probably wouldn’t know it. It does seem like Sony will indeed eventually release a PS5 Pro, but it may be a lot more delayed than the three year window we got last time around. I just hope it can sit sideways less awkwardly.

0x0.jpg

Xbox

Xbox is in a different place than PlayStation, and also in a different place than it was in the Xbox One era. That system launched with the narrative that it was underpowered compared the base PS4 (even if I’d argue that was pretty overblown) and therefore felt the need to prove itself with a very powerful Xbox One X a year after the PS4 Pro launched so they could declare they’d “won” the power race. Of course that didn’t exactly result in some massive sales surge to catch PlayStation, but that was the schedule last time around.

Now, things are different. Microsoft seems resigned to the fact they are not going to catch Sony in console sales, and try to say they don’t really care about that, and instead are focused on getting Xbox Game Pass on as many devices as possible. So the rumor about a new Xbox Series console is not a supercharged version of the X to try to pass PS5 in power (the Series X already technically has the power edge, a bit), but instead the idea of an even smaller, cheaper Xbox that may serve as some sort of streaming box only for Microsoft’s Game Pass/Cloud Gaming ambitions.

Also, the problem with Xbox right now is not power. It has all the power you could ask for for most console games, but the problem ends up being the games themselves sometimes, like what we’ve seen with Redfall launching only at 30 FPS. That’s on the game, not on the Xbox hardware.

For me personally, I just…can’t see myself buying a new PlayStation or Xbox variant any time soon that is not a fully new generation. First, because it’s hard to imagine a system with enough significant upgrades to make that worth it, given current tech. We’re not exactly going to see Cyberpunk Overdrive path tracing on console anytime soon. Second, because I’ve gotten much deeper into PC gaming as of later, and have been playing everything possible on PC. My main game Destiny 2, most third party games. I will probably pick up Redfall on PC instead of Xbox to avoid the 30 FPS issue. So I’m personally less motivated by slight console upgrades for $500 right now. But we’ll see if the larger public disagrees. We may, however, only end up seeing one from Sony rather than both this time around.

We won't get Cyberpunk Path Tracing/overdrive/psycho but maybe we could at least get Cyberpunk with some proper RT reflections at 60 fps? Cyberpunk on console (I have it for ps5) is bad. The 60 fps mode doesn't look that good and isn't smooth. The RT mode flat out sucks at 30 fps and RT that does very little for the game.

A mid gen console could've actually provided the kind of Cyberpunk RT or Control with RT experience we all hoped for but never got. Both were disappointing next gen upgrades that were clearly limited by the ps5/sx hardware.

A mid gen could get us a lot more games at 4k/60 with ultra instead of 1440p/60 at medium-high settings.

It could also get us RT gi in some games. Metro Exodus pulled it off with some concessions like the absence of settings like tesselation, ultra shadow quality, aa etc. Witcher 3 RT mode is a bad joke on ps5 (how is it on SX?).

Mid gen could've allowed a fairly demanding game like Plague Tale Requiem to run at 60 fps. Or to play Ratchets fidelity mode at 60 fps. Would also help when we start getting Unreal 5 games hit 60 fps with upscaling.

PSYGN

No. Maybe we'll have PS5 graphics at that point. Only a few games that feel like like they are pushing this gen so far.

Last edited:

GMCamaro

No to this mid console refresh bullshit. Devs used to get so good working with the hardware that they be able to push the limits of consoles into the next gen on current gen hardware. All you’re doing is limiting the current gen output by splitting your workforce to work on two builds so you can get an extra wrinkle in some background characters ass!

baphomet

With how little I've used both my PS5 and Series X (X has literally been turned on once the day I got it), unless they start dropping AAA console exclusives left and right I wouldn't even consider buying a refresh.

Iced Arcade

lol no.

- The last gen had mid-gen consoles and they didn't do anything super magical over base consoles.
- PS5 in most places outside the U.S. is crazy high (almost $800 here in Canada for a non-game bundled unit).
- let developers do what they did the previous gens and squeeze every ounce of optimization.

Top Bottom