• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you preorder The Witcher 4?

Would you preorder The Witcher 4?

• Yes

Votes: 170 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 318 58.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 56 10.3%

• Total voters
I wouldn’t. CD Project Red make great games, but release them way too early, so I would never buy a game from them on day one. I wait 1 or 2 years and then they will already have it on discount. So with them you are paying full price for the alpha, but the final game is cheaper.

Yoda

I didn't encounter any issues with CP2077 that made me think the game was terrible or anything. I really enjoyed the experience, so I'd pre-order their next title.

Zeroing

Banned
33% !!!!!
Embarrassed Shame GIF

Fare thee well

Neophyte
No I would not. Honestly I have to work hard not to pre-order as I believe the practice is often entirely without merit. Still, I find myself making the mistake to this day. Case and point, I just crowd-funded Homeworld 3, because it holds a place dear to my heart. Witcher 3 was a profound experience for me, and brought me through some darker times in my life. So I pre-ordered Cyberpunk as a sign of confidence, but I just don't see myself preordering as much as I used to, if at all.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
No, however, not because of what happened with Cyberpunk, but because i think pre-ordering is a silly concept, especially when it comes to digital media.

skakmk

Why would anyone preorder cyberpunk after this mess? And the top executives got a huge bonus this year too.

Last edited:
The year is 2028.

The Witcher 4 debuts at #1 and sells 20 million units the first week. The majority of consoles sales on PS7 and Nintendo Fulcrum are not refunded. (By this time, Microsoft has left the console hardware market.)

NeoGAF cries loudly.

Last edited:
Considering that I read all the books and played through the whole series multiple time I still would pre order even though I still haven't played CP (and I pre ordered that one too). I just love that universe so much that I just don't want to miss any material related to it.

Strategize

No, I never even fell for this shit with Cyberpunk.

I brought TW3 day one, and that was also pretty fucking broken aswell, better than Cyberpunk seems to have been but still.

Therefore I was like "No shot this is any good day 1" and waited, then boom what a shock I was right. I guess alot of people just didn't play TW3 launch so this caught them off guard, hell I'm pretty sure I heard TW1 and 2 had a shit of bugs at launch aswell.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I have never pre ordered a game.
Theres only a handful of games I would blindly throw my money at, and Witcher 4 is one of them.

Trimesh

Banned
I would, but I probably won't, if that makes sense. I have enough games to play right now so I'm not in any great hurry to buy more.

I'm also a little nonplussed by all the screeching about Cyberpunk - I'm sure I can't be the only person that got it at launch and played it to completion without any serious issues. I'm not saying I was completely happy with it, but it was sufficiently enjoyable that I didn't feel ripped off.

I'm not denying some other people may have had serious issues with it. I experienced this the other way around with Fallout 76 - for me, the game was so broken that it was basically unplayable while some of my friends had no, or at the worst minor, problems with it.

Nothing is more annoying than a buggy ass game. I rather play it one year after with all the DLC, bug free, for 29.99. And this is coming from someone who price doesnt really matter.

sublimit

Banned
Depends on the previews and what they show on the platform i intend to buy it (PS5).
I bought TW3 on day 1 on PS4 and didn't regreted it even though it had a lot of problems.They were mostly problems that didn't affected much my enjoyment of the game.
Although to be fair i restarted the game after some major patches came out.

MilkLizard

No, it is already pretty rare that I preorder any game. Only the ones I'm sure I'll enjoy, like CP2077, which burnt me hard in the end. I'll never fall for hype again and just wait for real reviews. Thanks CDPR for teaching me that lesson.

Seraphym

No
Not because of Cyberpunk, more because the eventual GOTY version with DLC is a more attractive proposition, plus part of me will be hoping that it appears on Game Pass

Last edited:

Flabagast

Maybe not preorder as I nearly never do that but I'll sure get it day fucking one.

As someone was saying in the thread, they make dream games to me. Everything (worldbuilding, visual design, quests, etc..) is driven by the narrative and their characters are so likable and fleshed out, I do not find that anywhere else.

I would prefer they kept on working on Cyberpunk IP more than go back to the Witcher though. I love the series but there are too much medieval settings in gaming already.

adamosmaki

I loved all 3 witcher games and i like cyberpunk but i dont preorder games unless there are pre order incentives like maybe a lower price . I m sure the game would turn out great anyway so is a day 1 for me

Last edited:

Fenris Wolf

Despite all the issues, I truly enjoyed playing CP77.
So yeah, I would give them another chance at it and purchase their next product.
If they somehow manage to fail (again) then i'm done purchasing their games.

adamosmaki

Witcher 3 was also a big downgrade, full of marketing deception and buggy as hell at launch - really only getting where it needed to be after patching

Their big saving grace was that people were just desperately hungry for a next gen experience in 2015 and the nearest point of comparison in open world RPG was Bethesda’s even buggier crap, so all the issues that weren’t acceptable for Cyberunk got overlooked
you may dislike the game and that is perfectly fine but in what way exactly it was a downgrade from Witcher 2? The game basically was Witcher 2 on Steroids . Bigger worlds better storytelling better combat

Denton

I always get a chuckle out of people who feel so intensely about how other people spend their money.

When games are available day 1 on digital. Please tell me honestly what purpose it serves? I'd really truly like to know
why do people do this still the game is still going to be there when it comes out
Can anyone explain preordering any game?
Why the fuck would I preorder a game?
I don't understand the reason for pre-ordering

I don't understand either. This thread was my attempt to figure out why people preorder.

In another thread I asked why games release so buggy and incomplete these days.

One of the replies was
If cyberpunk didn't stop people from buying games at launch I don't know what will.

So I decided to see if people would really still preorder a game from the same company that rushed Cyberpunk 2077 out the door just 4 months ago.

From the poll results and the replies so far it seems like, yup, nothing will change preorder culture. I'm starting to think it's best to forget about it if it comes naturally to people.

Even without a guarantee of quality (no dev group can provide this), it seems people still believe they will enjoy these games no matter what ends up being released at launch.

Game "enthusiasts" probably make up the majority of preorders for games without highly aggressive marketing cycles. Preorders aren't unique to games but the low bar of tolerance.

Kickstarters? Sure. Actual Early access? You know what you're getting into. Live service games? You'll never stop preordering.

Regardless of your personal experience with cyberpunk, If 1/3 of NeoGaf would still preorder anything from anyone after seeing what they did with the cyberpunk release cycle, after seeing the states these games released in:

Skyrim
Daikatana
Duke Nukem Forever
Painkiller
Mass Effect Andromeda
Battlecruiser 3000 AD

Assasins Creed Unity
Destiny
X-Rebirth
Simcity
Diablo 3
APB
Batman Arkham Knight
Eve Online Trinity
Vanguard Saga of heroes
Total War Rome 2
Halo The Master Chief Collectio
Outriders
No Mans Sky
Dead Island
Battlefield 4
Anthem
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy 14
And the hundreds more with day 1 patches making preloads almost obsolete

then preorders will never end and the rest of us should get used to it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
First off stop preordering games, why do people do this still the game is still going to be there when it comes out. Unless you want some incentive where you can play early then sure why the fuck not. But why continue to even do this or even ask this. We should learn from the mistakes when supporting devs when it comes to releasing games. For fuck, fucking, fuck, fucking, fuck sakes. Dammit, when will people learn. DO NOT PREORDER ANY GAME!! I can care less if this a hyperbolic question. Rant over.

No. I will keep preordering games. I have only been burnt twice over hundreds of preorders across nearly two decades.

If you know yourself and so proper research it’s perfectly fine.

Raphael

Some of you guys think everyone was disappointed in cyberpunk. Thing is the great majority of people enjoyed the game very much and were able to overlook the game's issues.

Knowing everything i know now about the state of the game i would still buy the game day 1.

I preorder for preload, and will buy the next game from cdpr pre launch as well, as i have always throughoutly enjoyed each and single one of their games.

CDPR convinced me by getting better and better to preorder Witcher 3 - which was good and worked out fine.
So I gave them the benefit of a doubt regarding Cyberpunk - which they fucked up beyond all reasons.

Not gonna give them a preorder chance until they've delivered some high quality release again.

cromofo

Anyone who preorders this after the CP2077 debacle, is a bona fide RETARD.

Preordering in the age of digital sales is seriously dumb.

I don't understand either. This thread was my attempt to figure out why people preorder.

In another thread I asked why games release so buggy and incomplete these days.

One of the replies was

So I decided to see if people would really still preorder a game from the same company that rushed Cyberpunk 2077 out the door just 4 months ago.

From the poll results and the replies so far it seems like, yup, nothing will change preorder culture. I'm starting to think it's best to forget about it if it comes naturally to people.

Even without a guarantee of quality (no dev group can provide this), it seems people still believe they will enjoy these games no matter what ends up being released at launch.

Game "enthusiasts" probably make up the majority of preorders for games without highly aggressive marketing cycles. Preorders aren't unique to games but the low bar of tolerance.

Kickstarters? Sure. Actual Early access? You know what you're getting into. Live service games? You'll never stop preordering.

Regardless of your personal experience with cyberpunk, If 1/3 of NeoGaf would still preorder anything from anyone after seeing what they did with the cyberpunk release cycle, after seeing the states these games released in:

Skyrim
Daikatana
Duke Nukem Forever
Painkiller
Mass Effect Andromeda
Battlecruiser 3000 AD

Assasins Creed Unity
Destiny
X-Rebirth
Simcity
Diablo 3
APB
Batman Arkham Knight
Eve Online Trinity
Vanguard Saga of heroes
Total War Rome 2
Halo The Master Chief Collectio
Outriders
No Mans Sky
Dead Island
Battlefield 4
Anthem
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy 14
And the hundreds more with day 1 patches making preloads almost obsolete

then preorders will never end and the rest of us should get used to it.

I have not been into preordering games since the good old days of Babbages where you could get a tee shirt with every order:

FFVII
Tenchu
Tekken 3
Quake 4

Just to name a few that I remember.

In modern times, the last game I preordered was Homeworld: Remastered because I wanted a replica of the Pride of Hiigara. Needed to support that project.

And for the record, I have not supported any Kickstarters, either. That might be a thread worth creating, OP.

GymWolf

Anyone who preorders this after the CP2077 debacle, is a bona fide RETARD.

Preordering in the age of digital sales is seriously dumb.
You know that you pay less if you preorder right?! Both on pc and console.

On pc, keys cost way less if you preorder months before instead of waiting for day one, and on console a shitload of places do 10-20 euros discount if you preorder, people bought returnal for 50 euros instead of 80 via preorder...

Nobody preorder for fear of not finding the game...

MilkLizard

No, however, not because of what happened with Cyberpunk, but because i think pre-ordering is a silly concept, especially when it comes to digital media.

Preloading is nice for 50-100GB games, especially if your connection isn't the fastest. If at all, I think only digital preorders make sense these days tbh.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Preloading is nice for 50-100GB games, especially if your connection isn't the fastest. If at all, I think only digital preorders make sense these days tbh.
Its one thing to preorder and preload a game a few days before release to be able to play day one, this is understandable to some degree.
Its another to preorder something months ahead, for seemingly no real reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom