• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rather be an ass or a jackass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackass specifically means a donkey, but an ass, well that could be a donkey OR an actual person's ass. I'd rather be thought of as an animal, and not someone's buttocks.

Loki

Count of Concision
I'm assuming that being an "ass" means that you're not particularly bright or clever, and being a "jackass" entails being, well, an obnoxious, inconsiderate curmudgeon. If that's the case, then I'd take being an ass any day-- there's nothing morally objectionable about being a bit slow on the draw, after all; there is, however, a lot wrong about being a prick. At the end of the day, I'd prefer to have a clear conscience-- no matter how simpleminded that conscience (in its rationale and justifications) may be. :)

way more

A better wording would be dumbass or ass. Or dumbass/jackass, or even smartass/dumbass, whatever. I'm open for discussion.

3phemeral

Loki said:
I'm assuming that being an "ass" means that you're not particularly bright or clever, and being a "jackass" entails being, well, an obnoxious, inconsiderate curmudgeon. If that's the case, then I'd take being an ass any day-- there's nothing morally objectionable about being a bit slow on the draw, after all; there is, however, a lot wrong about being a prick. At the end of the day, I'd prefer to have a clear conscience-- no matter how simpleminded that conscience (in its rationale and justifications) may be. :)

That's interesting. I was always under the impression that "ass" implied "jerk, vulgar, disagreeable", while "jackass" referred to someone's stupidity, inability to think clearly, and general mental ineptitude.

In that case, I'd rather be an ass ^_^

Loki

Count of Concision
3pheMeraLmiX said:
That's interesting. I was always under the impression that "ass" implied "jerk, vulgar, disagreeable", while "jackass" referred to someone's stupidity, inability to think clearly, and general mental ineptitude.

Heh, so basically your thoughts are the converse of mine. :D I'm not actually sure what the "correct" definitions are (or if there is such a thing when dealing with such vague words), but it'd pretty much have to be consistent with one of our proposals. :p Still, it would have been nice if the thread-starter had clarified the terms for us a bit.

So are you saying that you'd rather be an "ass" based upon your classification scheme or mine? :)

Jim Bowie

3pheMeraLmiX said:

+1 for ass. I'd hate to be a mental midget.

3phemeral

Loki said:
Heh, so basically your thoughts are the converse of mine. :D I'm not actually sure what the "correct" definitions are (or if there is such a thing when dealing with such vague words), but it'd pretty much have to be consistent with one of our proposals. :p Still, it would have been nice if the thread-starter had clarified the terms for us a bit.

So are you saying that you'd rather be an "ass" based upon your classification scheme or mine? :)

When I saw your post I thought you'd come to the same conclusion, since there are very few posters on this board that I agree with :p Needless to say, I was just a tad shocked to see that there was such a difference between what we both thought was the popular association for either word (how dare you haha). I felt compelled to reply. ^_^ But anyway, I was referring to my definition of "Ass"... somehow the thought of being lumped into a slush of intellectual inadequacy is just a little distrubing to me. o_O

Loki

Count of Concision
3pheMeraLmiX said:
When I saw your post I thought you'd come to the same conclusion, since there are very few posters on this board that I agree with :p Needless to say, I was just a tad shocked to see that there was such a difference between what we both thought was the popular association for either word (how dare you haha). I felt compelled to reply. ^_^ But anyway, I was referring to my definition of "Ass"... somehow the thought of being lumped into a slush of intellectual inadequacy is just a little distrubing to me. o_O

I suppose it's all just a matter of priorities. I don't value the possession of intelligence above interpersonal decency, even if the intelligence in question is my own. Yes, I'd lose a lot if I was deprived of my intellectual ability, but I wouldn't be losing what's truly important, imo. To each his own, however. :)

3phemeral

Loki said:
I suppose it's all just a matter of priorities. I don't value the possession of intelligence above interpersonal decency, even if the intelligence in question is my own. Yes, I'd lose a lot if I was deprived of my intellectual ability, but I wouldn't be losing what's truly important, imo. To each his own, however. :)

Perhaps it's because I've never been considered an asshole =) I have plenty experience with people underestimating me though, so it's largely an extension of my personal issues concerning people who have tendency to assume certain things about my personality. *_*

I'm interested to see how this thread turns out :)

Loki

Count of Concision
3pheMeraLmiX said:
Perhaps it's because I've never been considered an asshole =) I have plenty experience with people underestimating me though, so it's largely an extension of my personal issues concerning people who have tendency to assume certain things about my personality. *_*

Well that's understandable, then. You've certainly never struck me as an asshole. :)

bjork

Still waiting for the inevitable "I'd rather be Lohan/Belluci/Via's ass" post, followed by 50 posts of photos and people fapping...

Loki

Count of Concision
bjork said:
Still waiting for the inevitable "I'd rather be Lohan/Belluci/Via's ass" post, followed by 50 posts of photos and people fapping...

You shouldn't have planted the seed (pun intended, sadly)-- now a cavalcade of salacious pics will inevitably ensue, derailing our perfectly fine topic. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom