• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rather: Continue your life as is, or Be infinitely mobile, but disembodied?

Life as is, or disembodied and free?

• Freedom from these corporal chains, please.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Catphish

I have no idea why this thought is in my head...

GIF by Ghostbusters

but nonetheless, it's in there, and I have single-handedly (brainedly?), singularly, non-plussed myself.

That is to say, I'm stumped. I can't chose. Or at least, I haven't chosen yet. You try.

Option 1: Your life continues as is, same as it ever was.

Option 2: You can be truly free, in that you can go anywhere --anywhere-- at any speed, see and hear anything you wish, at any location you desire, anywhere in the entire Universe, but... you're disembodied. So no touch, no taste, no smell.

(Yes, we can argue about the right to any sensory function if you're disembodied, but let's not.)

So it's like, a 1:1 Universe Sim in VR with infinite resolution and really good sound. Except that it's the real Universe, not a sim, and it's your actual disembodied being (soul?), and not a digital device.

The catch is: if you chose option 2, your earthly body goes comatose --that's it. lights out-- and remains that way until its final passing, whenever and however that may arrive. Never to return. So you don't get to share what you've discovered. Your knowledge dies with you.

Further, the passage of time in your free state is equivalent to your comatose state.

And when the body dies, so does the journey.

---

Since I'm a father, and have a teenage child depending on me, I think I'd put it off a decade or two. But hooboy. That's some tempting shit.

Howboutchoo?

(I'm probably a dork for spending this much time on this, but I won't be sad. This is just how it works out sometimes.)

Sakura

Maybe for the last year of my life or something, but I don't see much purpose to spend the rest of my life that way.
I wouldn't even be able to fap.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I have to go with Option 1, but, like you said, this is a tough one.

The thought of being infinitely mobile but unable to share any new knowledge gained with another person gives me a special kind of existential dread. Way to go, OP: you just came up with a hook for SOMA 2.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Can you like, jerk-off in your disembodied mind somehow?

edit: Oh and can I still get high?

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
knowledge.

Okay... to what end? You can't use the knowledge. It would be pointless. Everything that can be learned on this planet can be learned without an incorporeal form. And since you die when your body dies you wouldn't even be able to do crazy stuff like exploring the universe.

Catphish

Okay... to what end? You can't use the knowledge. It would be pointless. Everything that can be learned on this planet can be learned without an incorporeal form. And since you die when your body dies you wouldn't even be able to do crazy stuff like exploring the universe.
You can explore the universe. That's the point. But only in a ghost-like state. Free roam anywhere, see and hear anything, as it's happening. But with all the aforementioned caveats.

wondermega

This is ridiculous - none but the most depressed (or utterly hateful of their current lifestyle) would actually desire such a miserably lonely fate. Most would likely end up spending the rest of their non-days "haunting" movie theaters, or the living rooms of people who watch a lot of streaming TV. I guess this would be a good option for those on Death Row, perhaps..

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I’m staying in my body to live life normally.

In all likelihood, if you did somehow manage to find another planet with intelligent life and some form of civilization, it would be so far outside of your frame of reference you wouldn’t be able to make any sense of what you’re seeing. It would just make you want to come back to your home.

And that’s assuming you have some kind of UniverseGPS that lets you target and travel to other stars, or the ability to warp to a specific place just by thinking about it.

Without some form of navigation tool, you’d simply be lost in empty space forever as soon as you got far enough away from our star that you can’t discern it from the others.

Catphish

This is ridiculous - none but the most depressed (or utterly hateful of their current lifestyle) would actually desire such a miserably lonely fate. Most would likely end up spending the rest of their non-days "haunting" movie theaters, or the living rooms of people who watch a lot of streaming TV. I guess this would be a good option for those on Death Row, perhaps..
If I chose Option 2, I'd spend some time learning about Earth, but then I'd be the fuck on up and out of this bitch. The Universe is yours to explore. What's ridiculous about that?

Catphish

I’m staying in my body to live life normally.

In all likelihood, if you did somehow manage to find another planet with intelligent life and some form of civilization, it would be so far outside of your frame of reference you wouldn’t be able to make any sense of what you’re seeing. It would just make you want to come back to your home.

And that’s assuming you have some kind of UniverseGPS that lets you target and travel to other stars, or the ability to warp to a specific place just by thinking about it.

Without some form of navigation tool, you’d simply be lost in empty space forever as soon as you got far enough away from our star that you can’t discern it from the others.
Hmm....

What if I threw in UniverseGPS?

edit: movement is instantaneous, if you so wish.

Last edited:

wondermega

If I chose Option 2, I'd spend some time learning about Earth, but then I'd be the fuck on up and out of this bitch. The Universe is yours to explore. What's ridiculous about that?

Being a ghost, completely and utterly unable to interact with the physical world in any manner - no longer able to communicate at all with anything or anyone else forever - no longer the ability to eat or sleep or etc - I would slowly and surely completely devolve into utter madness and crave resolution. Flying across all of the world, or other worlds, etc would be interesting for an amount of time, I am sure, but I am certain that novelty would wear off long before the dread would consume me.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Hmm....

What if I threw in UniverseGPS?

edit: movement is instantaneous, if you so wish.
Still a nope from me. It would be cool to try it out, but not if I have to stay that way for decades. I like being able to go to sleep, and have quiet time, and take dumps. It sounds like being stuck in purgatory.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
What if sex was just like shaking a hand but you could shake the hand of all them bitches in the world?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You can explore the universe. That's the point. But only in a ghost-like state. Free roam anywhere, see and hear anything, as it's happening. But with all the aforementioned caveats.

Unless we also have superpowers we would be dead long before we could get out of our solar system. Even assuming a crazy speed of moving 10,000 miles per hour it would take over 35 years just to get to Pluto. And assuming someone didn't pull the plug on our life support during that time, that means 35 years of absolutely NOTHING to do.

pramod

Banned
Problem with this is that i wouldnt even know where to explore.

For example if i knew Planet XX in the XX nebulae had alien life then sure i would go there. But i dont. And the universe is way too big. Even if you spend five seconds exploring every planet in the milky way you wouldnt even cover 0.00001% of it.

Last edited:

wondermega

Unless we also have superpowers we would be dead long before we could get out of our solar system. Even assuming a crazy speed of moving 10,000 miles per hour it would take over 35 years just to get to Pluto. And assuming someone didn't pull the plug on our life support during that time, that means 35 years of absolutely NOTHING to do.
Ha! Also the problem of knowing how to get there, super speed or not. Imagine zooming out into space and becoming immediately lost. Not knowing where you are going, but also just where you came from/how to return. Now you are just lost alone in infinite empty blackness until you discorporate.

pramod

Banned
I guess there are some cool possibilities though but im not sure if its worth it

I would go check out the edge of the universe. If one even exists.

Another problem is even if i get there i might not understand what the hell im looking at.

Or going inside a black hole.

Mistake

Imagine watching your body get older, staying in one spot for years, knowing it will be the death of you metaphysically. Sounds like hell to me. Kind of like this guy

Top Bottom