• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want a sequel to Shadow of the Colossus?

Shadow of the Colossus 2?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe idk

Results are only viewable after voting.

kyliethicc

Does this classic game deserve a sequel?

Who would make it, if so?

Personally, yes, I’d love to experience something like it again.

With PS5 level tech it could be beautiful.

Maybe Bluepoint could be up to the task, but idk.

2inzgGS.jpg

kyliethicc

Can’t just slap any dev team on a sequel - it’s why you end up with bastardised media like Star Wars. Just watch Gen Design, that’s your spiritual continuation.
It is the difficult bit. Who could make it.

So I assume you’d say yes, but only if Ueda would direct it?

A.Romero

Does it deserve a sequel? Yes, it's an excellent game. Would it be a good idea? I don't think so.

Shadow of the Colossus had a perfect ending. It doesn't really need a sequel because it told the story that it wanted to tell.

Also Ueda is no longer working at Sony (and Sony Japan is no longer developing games) so I don't think there is anyone who could it justice.

I'd like a game with similar mechanics, though.

Absolutely. Imagine the scale, awe, and sadness they could pull off with current-gen tech if what they did on the PS2 still holds up, artistically.

For example, it turns out that the last boss in Shadow of the Colossus Part II is the ground you've been playing the rest of game on. Camera zooms out, and you realize you've been on the World Tortoise the whole time. A daring juxtaposition of awe with the sad, sad feeling that comes with giant turtle killin'.

b7md077cdnw31.png

Banjo64

cumsessed
It is the difficult bit. Who could make it.

So I assume you’d say yes, but only if Ueda would direct it?
If it’s what Ueda wanted (although not everyone from Team Ico moved to Gen Design). If he wanted to make a sequel why did he choose to spend 10 years making TLG? IMO, it’s a perfect example of a self contained story, like ICO and The Last of Us. A sequel would just be ‘spaceballs 2 the quest for more money’.

Banjo64

cumsessed
If it’s what Ueda wanted (although not everyone from Team Ico moved to Gen Design). If he wanted to make a sequel why did he choose to spend 10 years making TLG? IMO, it’s a perfect example of a self contained story, like ICO and The Last of Us. A sequel would just be ‘spaceballs 2 the quest for more money’.
Also OP that’s not me attacking you for wanting a sequel but I think, if you’re like me, you’re really looking for the next game that evokes those same feelings with poignant story telling in a beautiful and sad world.

Personally I’ve got TLG installed on my PS5 and I’m going to finally play it after Elden Ring :messenger_horns:

kyliethicc

Also OP that’s not me attacking you for wanting a sequel but I think, if you’re like me, you’re really looking for the next game that evokes those same feelings with poignant story telling in a beautiful and sad world.
No worries, I like the discussion. Your opinion makes sense.

Personally I’ve got TLG installed on my PS5 and I’m going to finally play it after Elden Ring :messenger_horns:
Seems like a fun game lol

I still need to play this at some point. It's painful that 60fps works fine on the unpatched disc version, but the PS Plus version on PS5 doesn't.

Not a direct sequel with the same conceit, but rather a distant sequel in the same world with a different gameplay loop. I'd love something more action RPG oriented, kinda like Nier where you have a few villages and mob enemies to fight in addition to the grandiose bosses.

It's one of those games that simply doesn't need a sequel. I'd rather have an entirely new game from the same devs.
It doesn't need it, but I'd take one. Really, I want to see the scale of what they could pull off now. Though if the last we get from the "franchise" is the Bluepoint remake, then that's a fine way to insure the game is carried into the future with less baggage from outdated tech.

Bragr

Banned
No no no, that game stands alone, a sequel would only exist to bleed the name. We already have a beautiful remaster, that's enough.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This one reminded me that infamous thread about possible open world Dark Souls game. So I'm saying... Why not? Just in case.

One of the few games that I finished twice btw. Best in the trilogy for me, no doubt. But I can't think of any proper sequel for this. What will we do, slay another twelve colossi? Can any other story surpass this one? I don't know, it would be best to leave it like that, as a precious gem.

Does team ico even still make games? They’re one of those teams where almost everything they make is a game changer. I’d love a sequel but I’d rather them write it and let another studio make it. Let team ico continue to make genre defining one offs.

Banned
no. that team's games were specifical because they were one-offs with different concepts

also no other dev team could actually do it justice and Sony basically turned their backs on anything Japan Studio related

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Does team ico even still make games? They’re one of those teams where almost everything they make is a game changer. I’d love a sequel but I’d rather them write it and let another studio make it. Let team ico continue to make genre defining one offs.
Team Ico has long been disbanded. Ueda went on to form his own studio named 'GenDESIGN' with some of the talent from the Team Ico days.
The last update said they plan to announce their game at some point this year, with Epic Games publishing it.
236c12fef916a71098fd.jpg
genDesign_-_ano_novo_2018.png

Kimahri

Banned
No!

Leave it alone.

Why would you give this treasure to bluepoint? They've yet to prove they can create anything of their own.

I really don't understand the praise this studio gets. They do fine work, but come on, they're a remaster/remake studio.

TLZ

Banned
YES.

Knack as secret unlockable boss. Or shows up as a cameo in the final scene to save the protagonist as he's about to get crushed, delivers the final blow, winks and walks off into the sunset.

Top Bottom