• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wow, mac labs are totally awesome. (first day of class discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyC

professor that used to design guides for Prima or Brady, isolated seat at the back of the lab, Macs, scanners and a bunch of fun design programs - yea, this is gonna be fun.

BuddyC

I guess. I'm posting while I'm supposed to be talking about what my favorite candy bar is.

The forum displays werid on the Mac IE.

Phoenix

Double click on the hard disk, then enter the Applications folder - you should find it there unless the schools admins have removed it.

Honestly, it pisses me off, everytime I go into a computer lab at school, there's usually like 6 Macs in each lab, and everyone is always using IE on them.

Joe

one of my professors was a huge mac fanboy and he said you should have seen the smile on his face when he told us a story of how he asked a question to steve jobs at some conference.

BuddyC

FortNinety said:
What kind of Macs are you using?
I believe they are, well honestly, I don't know. It's not an iMac, likely a G3 or a G4.

I don't know what guides he designed, but I'll try to bring it up later.

At my school we have a lot of mac labs, but I prefer the Windows Labs. What is strange is I don't think the G5s at my school have an optical drive, because I have yet to locate it.

gblues

Banned
The only way to eject the CD drive on newer Macs is to press the Eject key on the keyboard (on the numeric pad, looks like eject button on a VCR). The optical drive is hidden behind a flap so you won't see it until it's ejected.

You can get the specs by clicking Apple > About this Mac and it'll give you the proc type/speed and how much RAM you have.

IE? Safari? Bah, FireFox is king!

Nathan

BuddyC

Manabanana said:
BC, where are you going to school?
M3wThr33 got it, I'm at Ball State University.

True, I'd perfer Firefox, but I can't install programs. I'll check out the details on the machines when I go back on Wed, thanks folks :)

goodcow

I think it's absolute bullshit that to upgrade to the newest version of Safari (non-security update version) you NEED OS 10.3. People talk about Microsoft using unfair tactics, look at this. $130 OS upgrade to upgrade the "recommended" web browser to its newest version?

Phoenix

goodcow said:
I think it's absolute bullshit that to upgrade to the newest version of Safari (non-security update version) you NEED OS 10.3. People talk about Microsoft using unfair tactics, look at this. $130 OS upgrade to upgrade the "recommended" web browser to its newest version?

webkit and the kernel extensions that support it only exits in 10.3. There will be new features in 10.4 as well that will make some of the core applications un-upgradable as well.

goodcow

Phoenix said:
webkit and the kernel extensions that support it only exits in 10.3. There will be new features in 10.4 as well that will make some of the core applications un-upgradable as well.

Spending $130 every six to eight months is a joke. Imagine the outlash Microsoft would hear if they charged for all their service packs.

goodcow said:

copy it, bitch

Phoenix

goodcow said:
Spending $130 every six to eight months is a joke. Imagine the outlash Microsoft would hear if they charged for all their service packs.

OSX has not released every "six to eight months" - so the only joke is your sense of time :)

Anyways I will assume you're not referring to Win95->Win98->WinME which are all service releases of the other.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Silly BuddyChrist, classes don't start for two more weeks!

Phoenix said:
OSX has not released every "six to eight months" - so the only joke is your sense of time :)

10.0 ("Cheetah", March 24, 2001), 10.1 ("Puma", September 29, 2001), 10.2 ("Jaguar", August 13, 2002), and 10.3 ("Panther", October 24, 2003).

4 versions in 3.5 years @ $130 each is nothing to brag about.

Anyways I will assume you're not referring to Win95->Win98->WinME which are all service releases of the other.

If those are "service releases", then what the fuck is what Apple is doing with the 4 iterations of OSX in 3.5 years called?

Phoenix

Shogmaster said:
10.0 ("Cheetah", March 24, 2001), 10.1 ("Puma", September 29, 2001), 10.2 ("Jaguar", August 13, 2002), and 10.3 ("Panther", October 24, 2003).

4 versions in 3.5 years @ $130 each is nothing to brag about.

If those are "service releases", then what the fuck is what Apple is doing with the 4 iterations of OSX in 3.5 years called?

10.3.1-10.3.5 are service releases - obviously. Service releases don't add new functionality, they update and repair existing functionality. New OS releases add new core functionality and that is what 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 did. 10.1 was free - just had to go and get it from Apple or use the up-to-date coupons that came with 10.0. So in reality there were 3 paid versions over the course of 3.5 years.

Should Apple have just stretched things out over 2 year periods just because Microsoft takes 4-5-10 years to update to Longhorn?

Phoenix said:
10.3.1-10.3.5 are service releases - obviously. Service releases don't add new functionality, they update and repair existing functionality. New OS releases add new core functionality and that is what 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 did. 10.1 was free - just had to go and get it from Apple or use the up-to-date coupons that came with 10.0. So in reality there were 3 paid versions over the course of 3.5 years.

So you're saying Win98 added no new functionality to 95, and ME didn't to 98? *place rolleyes here*

Should Apple have just stretched things out over 2 year periods just because Microsoft takes 4-5-10 years to update to Longhorn?

You make it sound like nothing's been done by MS since XP's debut. *place even bigger rolleyes here*

2001 ~2004 for Microsoft OSes:

Win 2000 SP2, SP3, SP4 (free)
Win XP SP1, SP2, (free)
Win 2003 server
WinXP Media Center Edition
WinXP Tablet PC Edition, TPC Ed SP2
WinXP Embedded
WinCE 3.0 ~ 4.2
WinCE.NET
Pocket PC 2001
Pocket PC 2002
Windows Mobile 2003
Windows Mobile 2003 SE (free)

That Microsoft, sure haven't done shit since 2001. *place the biggest rolleyes here*

Prospero

Idle Will Kill said:
10.1 was a free upgrade if I'm not mistaken. In fact, I'm like 99% sure.

10.1 was free--you didn't even need to prove ownership of a Mac or an earlier Mac OS to get it. You could just stroll into an Apple Store and they'd practically throw the thing at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom