• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wow the Torna DLC for Xenoblade 2 is even better than the base game

SantaC

The Torna expansion is fantastic so far. I am 5 hours into it, and the quality of life over the base game is astounding. It's everything from menu stuff to game mechanics.

It's not often you see DLC content better than the main game. I could only think of another example and it is the bloodborne DLC.

Xenoblade 3 cant come soon enough. Hopefully it is in the works.

Hudo

The Torna expansion is fantastic so far. I am 5 hours into it, and the quality of life over the base game is astounding. It's everything from menu stuff to game mechanics.

It's not often you see DLC content better than the main game. I could only think of another example and it is the bloodborne DLC.

Xenoblade 3 cant come soon enough. Hopefully it is in the works.
I fully agree. The quality of life improvements really make me giddy for whatever Monolith are doing next. Same thing with Future Connected.
It seems that Monolith are using these DLC/side story games as experimental grounds to try some stuff that may or may not be utilized in the next "full" games.

oSoLucky

The Torna battle theme is the best one that I've ever heard in a JRPG. I never finished Torna, since even though there are some improvements, part of what made the base game so fun for me (the variety of Blades) is missing. The Community (I think that's what it is called) aspect where you recruit random NPCs to be a part of you community, for whatever benefit there is, isn't explained very well and seems almost pointless. Backstory games can be great (Halo: Reach), but a lot of the wind was taken out of the sails knowing the ending of all of the story arcs also. I only made it about 10 hours before the fetch quests got to me and I couldn't go any further.

The "separate DLC" aspect of the game was tough for me to swallow, as it felt like the combat took a huge step back after the openness and customization I had in the extreme endgame with all of the 5 star Blades/Poppi upgrades and customizations unlocked. I know that it's intended to be its own thing and not an addition to the base game, but that didn't change how I felt while playing it.

No Rex was a GIGANTIC plus, however.

Hudo

The Torna battle theme is the best one that I've ever heard in a JRPG. I never finished Torna, since even though there are some improvements, part of what made the base game so fun for me (the variety of Blades) is missing. The Community (I think that's what it is called) aspect where you recruit random NPCs to be a part of you community, for whatever benefit there is, isn't explained very well and seems almost pointless. Backstory games can be great (Halo: Reach), but a lot of the wind was taken out of the sails knowing the ending of all of the story arcs also. I only made it about 10 hours before the fetch quests got to me and I couldn't go any further.

The "separate DLC" aspect of the game was tough for me to swallow, as it felt like the combat took a huge step back after the openness and customization I had in the extreme endgame with all of the 5 star Blades/Poppi upgrades and customizations unlocked. I know that it's intended to be its own thing and not an addition to the base game, but that didn't change how I felt while playing it.

No Rex was a GIGANTIC plus, however.
Yeah, the community system... I knew I've forgotten something... That's probably the one thing that Torna did worse. Fuck the community system. That they gate your progress behind it is really annoying (and they do it two times, if I recall correctly). It seemed to me that they felt the need to substitute the Gacha blade system with another annoying time sink and came up with the community system...

EDIT: I'm especially salty about the Gacha blade system because I never got KOSMOS...

Last edited:

oSoLucky

Yeah, the community system... I knew I've forgotten something... That's probably the one thing that Torna did worse. Fuck the community system. That they gate your progress behind it is really annoying (and they do it two times, if I recall correctly). It seemed to me that they felt the need to substitute the Gacha blade system with another annoying time sink and came up with the community system...

One of the gates is right where I stopped playing, as I spent 1-2 hours trying to complete random BS sidequests with little explanation just to get more community members (and failing). I came back two months later to the same thing and quit again. I'll finish it someday, but that shit's annoying. At least there was a small endorphin rush from grinding Ardanian Kurodil and trying to beat my best times.

I randomly got KOS-MOS right at the beginning of NG+ when that update came out. I had almost given up hope. I got her on the next pull right after TEL-OS, so it was definitely pure luck, and she wasn't in my "guaranteed" pool.

Hudo

One of the gates is right where I stopped playing, as I spent 1-2 hours trying to complete random BS sidequests with little explanation just to get more community members (and failing). I came back two months later to the same thing and quit again. I'll finish it someday, but that shit's annoying. At least there was a small endorphin rush from grinding Ardanian Kurodil and trying to beat my best times.

I randomly got KOS-MOS right at the beginning of NG+ when that update came out. I had almost given up hope. I got her on the next pull right after TEL-OS, so it was definitely pure luck, and she wasn't in my "guaranteed" pool.
You lucky motherfucker.

But yeah, I also took a week long breather the second time they gated my progress. But I eventually came back and finished the game. So I can relate to wanting to drop it because of the community system.

Nosgotham

Just wait and see if you feel the same way after the stall and progress gait. If it was paced better I would have RAVED about it. Still great, still loved it but it can't be better in my eyes because of the last bit of the game. I usually love sidequests when optional but there's something about dangling a carrot and then saying "now go do fetch quests until you can get the carrot" that just irks me

Same ol G

EDIT: I'm especially salty about the Gacha blade system because I never got KOSMOS...
Really have to replay the game to get the blades that unlock after first playtrough.
KOSMOS is a fun character her final attackis awesome

Top Bottom