• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Btw for those that haven’t been keeping track Punk has had issues at TNA, RoH, OVW, WWE and now AEW. I’d expect if he went back to WWE he’d have issues again.
So everyone is the Asshole except for punk
cm punk wwe GIF
cm punk wwe GIF

I guess Logan Paul messed up his knee pretty good. But, yeah, Roman vs Logan was actually very entertaining. Much better than say CM Punk vs Moxley.

The Bray Wyatt stuff... yeah I don't get it, as someone who had never seen him before this whole come out and oooh I'm crazy but also I'm so sad and emo routine is getting old already. I assume it works better if you know who he is! But he needs to... I don't know... if not wrestle... at least beat someone up... or get ambushed... or ya know... have some kind of wrestling storyline? I'm not an expert here but c'mon, this man came out on two PPVs to talk to us about how sad and crazy he is... enough!

His music is very on point for his whole schtick though.

Dthomp

I guess Logan Paul messed up his knee pretty good. But, yeah, Roman vs Logan was actually very entertaining. Much better than say CM Punk vs Moxley.

The Bray Wyatt stuff... yeah I don't get it, as someone who had never seen him before this whole come out and oooh I'm crazy but also I'm so sad and emo routine is getting old already. I assume it works better if you know who he is! But he needs to... I don't know... if not wrestle... at least beat someone up... or get ambushed... or ya know... have some kind of wrestling storyline? I'm not an expert here but c'mon, this man came out on two PPVs to talk to us about how sad and crazy he is... enough!

His music is very on point for his whole schtick though.

As somebody who has known him from before, it's still dumb and makes little sense. He has to do the spooky shit cause in ring, he's just not very good. He's that guy at the gym who only does arms, and never thinks about cardio or legs so he's prone to injury and looks fat with muscle arms. This was the problem with him under Vince too, he sees all this stuff as super cool and in depth, when to the viewer it's boring and a slog to wait through the new video of him interupting himself.

Music is eh to me. His OG Wyatt Family music will still be the best, it's a shame everybody had to get new music over the last two years cause the idea we might have got that back was something I was hyped for. I'm afraid Alexa is gonna get sucked back into his vortex of mediocrity again when she was finally mostly done with the stupid doll and acting like a 10 year old crap.

Dthomp

The Gamepass thing is a strange go, wrestling fans were going to buy your game for 60-70 bucks in just the hopes for an old school N64 game again while Xbox users generally don't actually buy the gamepass titles after playing them. Maybe I'll find a 1 month trial of GP just to try it and then buy it on my Ps5, or just buy it anyways cause I don't believe I should get to play every game for free.

IRS>>>Bray will ever be.

NickFire

Poor Theory. First Logan Paul out-selfies him big time in Saudi Arabia... and then...that. :messenger_fearful:
It is crazy how far that kid has fallen since Vince left. Did HHH never like him? Did he step on HHH shoes or use his private bathroom? What could he have done to go from golden boy to losing a cash in for a secondary title? My sides. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

NickFire

I wonder if they'll tell us next week the cash in doesn't count because there's a "rule" that says it can only be cashed in on a world title. (IE WWE or Universal.)
I have the same question. Losing the briefcase in a failed attempt for a secondary title will be hard to recover from IMO. Possible they just want to put him in a clean storyline I guess, since there's no way he's beating RR right now.

I don't know why they just didn't make it a failed cash-in at Summerslam instead of a failed attempt to cash-in. I guess that was right as the transfer of power from Vince was taking place?

Theory and Vinny Mac should 'invade' AEW :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dthomp

It is crazy how far that kid has fallen since Vince left. Did HHH never like him? Did he step on HHH shoes or use his private bathroom? What could he have done to go from golden boy to losing a cash in for a secondary title? My sides. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think it's the gimmick honestly. Theory actually seems decent the bit I watched of him, but that Tyler Breeze gimmick isn't gonna take you to the main event, or in Raws case it's only singles title. Dude will probably bounce back, but his character needs work first.

dave_d

I have the same question. Losing the briefcase in a failed attempt for a secondary title will be hard to recover from IMO. Possible they just want to put him in a clean storyline I guess, since there's no way he's beating RR right now.
Just thinking about it they would have been better off by having him get into an angle by having someone trick him into a botched cash in on RR. Come to think of it at the moment I can't even think of anybody I would have beat RR for the titles. (They've kind of written themselves into a corner.)

Dthomp

Just thinking about it they would have been better off by having him get into an angle by having someone trick him into a botched cash in on RR. Come to think of it at the moment I can't even think of anybody I would have beat RR for the titles. (They've kind of written themselves into a corner.)

Drew in Cardiff was the time to get the belts off of Roman, and I suppose with him getting screwed leaves it open that he could be the guy to get the belt/s off of him, but they have cooled him off so much since with Kross. I'm sick of part timers and I can't think of anybody on the roster outside of Drew who could realistically take Roman down.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I figure they're in a holding pattern with him until they do him against The Rock at Wrestlemania. Then once you're past that you can have someone beat Roman.

NickFire

I'm tempted to get AEW's next PPV but I think I'm gonna pass as much as I want to see MJF get the belt. Between uncertainty over that actually happening, and cluster F after the last one (wiping out two championship wins before next Dynamite started), I just don't want to spend the money.

Dthomp

I'm tempted to get AEW's next PPV but I think I'm gonna pass as much as I want to see MJF get the belt. Between uncertainty over that actually happening, and cluster F after the last one (wiping out two championship wins before next Dynamite started), I just don't want to spend the money.

I've gone through this with at least the last 4 PPVs, only one I didn't order was Forbidden Door since nothing would be relevant for storylines. There just haven't been intriguing feuds to care about, and for me personally almost every current champion is a joke (OC), boring (Moxley/Storm/Wardlow), or too green to be on TV (Jade) so other then watching and hoping for a bunch of title changes nothing really stands out to me about this card. I mean, we all fully expect the Firm to end up helping MJF win right? Booking has been....horrible for a while now in AEW and I keep hoping it'll turn a corner but it just keeps being "eh". Do the Elite return at the PPV to screw over somebody?

From my POV the AEW PPV pricing just doesn't make sense. I mean, that's 5 months of Peacock which granted I don't use for anything outside of WWE, but I do hit the wrasslin' backlog and it gets me the 'premium events'...

Also when did all these PPVs go to Saturday? Back in the day it was all on Sunday yeah? At least for WCW, I think it was like that for all the WWF/E that I didn't care about at the time.

Sunday Night Football the problem? I guess back in the 90s SNF was a trash game on ESPN. Kind of the same trash level that we get on Thursday Night nowadays :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, not sure how I feel about Theory's I'M SO ANGRY IMMA HURT PEOPLE thing... Didn't I just see Rhonda Rousey do that, and Bobby Lashley? Two rasslers who should be sent to some kind of wrestler acting camp for the foreseeable future in the hopes that maybe they can develop some sort of on-camera personality or maybe just the ability to speak sentences consistently.

Back to Theory again for a sec... I don't even get the logic of his match. Did he win by KO? Was he disqualified? Why does the ref care that he was punching the guy and like throwing him into the stairs... Every week like 3 people go through the announcers' table. The ref was like "stop it's over!" and I don't think they had ever even rung the ball at that point. What, do you get disqualified for doing your finisher more than once? The fuck is this shit?

I'm not really excited for the Survivor Series, which... I don't even really know the format nowadays, they threw War Games branding on there as wells? But yeah I'm not sold on faction on faction wrestling bonanzas.

But at the price I'll watch it anyway.... Full Gear on the other hand... I mean if I stumble upon it somewhere after the fact and ride the fast forward button... that could work.

NickFire

Acclaimed and the MJF / Mox segment were fun stuff. MJF is looking jacked too. Tempted to watch this weekend but still very unlikely.

Dthomp

Acclaimed and the MJF / Mox segment were fun stuff. MJF is looking jacked too. Tempted to watch this weekend but still very unlikely.

6 months of untested unseen steroids will do that to a guy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Was I the only one let down by the Elite reveal? Are expected PPV numbers or ticket sales down and they had to throw them up in a boring graphic just to help this event? This company thrived when Kenny and the Bucks were the stars, instead we got WWE light with Mox and Jericho being his best buds behind the scenes now. A surprise show up for the match at the PPV would have been better then this shit on Dynamite, I was truly hoping that maybe when they returned they'd not go back to the trios stuff and let Kenny enjoy his final years as the solo act we all deserve

Yeah the Elite showing up in a static image was dreadful. I think I paid less attention than normal for the rest of the show after seeing that. I'm also supremely uninterested in the part of the MJF storyline that involves the stable of jobbers he hired and then immediately fired.

Dthomp

Yeah the Elite showing up in a static image was dreadful. I think I paid less attention than normal for the rest of the show after seeing that. I'm also supremely uninterested in the part of the MJF storyline that involves the stable of jobbers he hired and then immediately fired.

It doesn't help things when the best talker in your stable is fucking Pac, he seemed half lost rambling out there before the graphic. Maybe you shouldn't have put the trios belts on a group where two thirds speak zero english and the other is just pretty bad at it. Yeah the MJF stuff has swerve written all over it, dude needs to be a heel because his in ring work isn't good enough to support the awful good guy role they always end up in...unless you're boring Moxley. Whether it's the Firm or Regal, I'm sure MJF gets it here simply to shake shit up and let Moxley go away for his vacation and be gone for a while. Firm could have been built up, but like Tony does, throws a bunch of dudes together and just chucks them out there into a major angle even if they aren't really there. Ethan Page is a dude I really like, but he was Scorpio Skys lackie for the last 2 years and basically a jobber and now just had back to back big singles wins? Ass Boys are a joke, Morrisey is cool, but they already seem to have their hosses of choice with Wardlow and Hobbs, the token black guy is just that. Why not have had them build up some cred first by beating the shit out of the Dork Order for a while? They're worthless anyway.

Why not have had them build up some cred first by beating the shit out of the Dork Order for a while? They're worthless anyway.
Speaking of the Dark Order... I really need to kickstart my early AEW timeline viewing again. So in the very first PPV I watched, All-In maybe? Like the one that was before AEW was actually a thing... I think it was The Dark Order that showed up and whatever the lights went out, they were kinda creepy, and they built a human throne out of the minions or whatever, probably delivered a beatdown on someone... that seemed decent.

Then they started showing some pretty funny cult recruitment scientology videos on Dynamite, and it looked like they were trying to recruit incels or something.

There seems like a lot of potential there.

Flip to the current timeline... The Dark Order is like one dude in a mask and some midget who looks like his life's ambition is to found a ZZ Top cover band.

I have to see where it all went wrong :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The other pressing confusion I have is why was Jay Lethal pretending to be The Macho Man!? Did the trademark pass into the public domain or something? Now he's just Jay Lethal, and his music starts Macho-Man-ish before swerving into some other bullshit.

Oh well, all in due time I suppose.

I miss having separate champions. 🤼‍♂️

It's a drag having the same guy hold one title for over a year, which has previously occurred quite a lot, to be honest. But hogging two titles!? Ha-ha.

Acknowledge me! 🤑

GladiusFrog

It doesn't help things when the best talker in your stable is fucking Pac, he seemed half lost rambling out there before the graphic. Maybe you shouldn't have put the trios belts on a group where two thirds speak zero english and the other is just pretty bad at it. Yeah the MJF stuff has swerve written all over it, dude needs to be a heel because his in ring work isn't good enough to support the awful good guy role they always end up in...unless you're boring Moxley. Whether it's the Firm or Regal, I'm sure MJF gets it here simply to shake shit up and let Moxley go away for his vacation and be gone for a while. Firm could have been built up, but like Tony does, throws a bunch of dudes together and just chucks them out there into a major angle even if they aren't really there. Ethan Page is a dude I really like, but he was Scorpio Skys lackie for the last 2 years and basically a jobber and now just had back to back big singles wins? Ass Boys are a joke, Morrisey is cool, but they already seem to have their hosses of choice with Wardlow and Hobbs, the token black guy is just that. Why not have had them build up some cred first by beating the shit out of the Dork Order for a while? They're worthless anyway.

They speak English lmao.

They speak English lmao.

Yeah but can they speak kayfabe English?

In these old WCW shows it's hard for me to get over Paul Wight doing his early GIANT voice. It's so bad:

Timestamped but feel free to rewind to the start to watch the Grandtaskmaster yell unintelligibly about the Yetteh if you dare.

Still slightly better than listening to Bobby Lashley I suppose.

Last edited:

dave_d

Fair enough, I did not know they speak english cause my only knowledge of them comes from television where they don't speak. Kind of like BTE, if I need to go onto youtube to keep up with your product you're doing it wrong.
I knew Fenix spoke English because he spoke it quite a bit on Lucha Underground. I didn't know Pentagon could though. (Oh, and I didn't know King Cuerno was actually good at promos given how little they had him speak.)

Dthomp

I knew Fenix spoke English because he spoke it quite a bit on Lucha Underground. I didn't know Pentagon could though. (Oh, and I didn't know King Cuerno was actually good at promos given how little they had him speak.)

I miss Lucha Underground, that was fantastic in the first season..and some of the second.

I decided to do AEW a solid and ordered the PPV on Bleacher Report. Signing up for that site sucked, and I almost bailed at that point, but I got through it. At the start here of Full Gear... man the video is pretty soft and has zero resolution options. Well, at least it's not stuttering.

You get this one AEW but it's looking Johnny Depp style in the future, you had your chance!
day talk GIF

AJUMP23

I decided to do AEW a solid and ordered the PPV on Bleacher Report. Signing up for that site sucked, and I almost bailed at that point, but I got through it. At the start here of Full Gear... man the video is pretty soft and has zero resolution options. Well, at least it's not stuttering.

You get this one AEW but it's looking Johnny Depp style in the future, you had your chance!
day talk GIF
I always order from fite with a vpn.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I see complaints about BR all the time, I use the app on my Roku TV and have ordered every PPV except Full Gear that I went to in MN and never once have had any issues with it, high quality the entire time and no stuttering. Maybe the reddit whiners should stop using their neighbors wi-fi and pay for some quality net maybe.

PPV was ok in my books, couple spots I was happy for and alot of eh. Was really really happy for Saraya, she looked better selling then almost every woman on the AEW roster and she hasn't wrestled in 5 years. The announce team did them no favors during the match however. Never got hyped up to set up Sarayas big moves or finisher, I hope she can stay healthy, cause she's pretty on the eyes, can still go (and will only improve with time) and is still probably younger then 90% of their female roster.

Happy for Hayter, but I think her big moment was the 4 way match, that crowd would have EXPLODED for her. Wish she could have just had the strong win without the infinite outside crap (Especially considering the main event was full of ref bumps and nonsense).

I really really don't enjoy when the Bucks and Lucha Bros are together in matches, it's like they take the nonsense circus spots and multiply them by 40, and basically just do the same "big" spots every match. I guess I'm fine with the finish, not a fan of DT so I'd rather they just put the belts back on Elite, as much as I love Carry on, I was excited for the Bucks and Kennys musics so a little sad. I am not interested AT ALL in a best of 7 with these teams. This screams he didn't have a plan for when the Elite would be back. Kenny looked good, and the extra 2 months were probably re3ally helpful after all his surgeries.

Was bored to tears with Mox/Max, Mox literally looked like he woke up and grabbed a pair of sweatpants and fattened up 15 pounds all in the belly for this one. I hate how much they talk about what a great wrestler Mox is, he's quite bad at the wrestling part of wrestling, he's a fine brawler. Please every BCC guy, stop doing the Bryan stomps and Hammer down elbows, cause they all look WAY worse then when Danielson does it. We all knew the outcome, we all knew there would be fuckery by Regal, and still it was just nothing for me. He could have and should have had the time to ham it up in the ring with Regal afterwards, and I feel like Britt/Saraya were kind of rushed too, cause you know gotta have all that time for Sting/Jarrett that doesn't need half the time.

4 way was meh, and I'm actually kind of shocked Jericho kept it, which likely means we are still way off of RoH having a TV show. As much as I've given up on any care for Danielson, I thought this was the time they finally give him a belt, but nah.

Happy to see Lee break off from Swerve, I wish the dude would drop a few pounds though cause I fear him wrestling longer singles matches.

Like I said, probably a solid 7.5/10 show for me, I thought I'd be more excited for MJF win, but the match just didn't entertain me.

----

Also, seriously, has Mox had 1 memorable match in AEW or even WWE? Like every other champ in AEW has had multiple 5 star matches and feuds and mox is like 65-6 and I can't think of a single one of his matches that was outstanding and could sell a casual viewer that he is a main event talent.

Dthomp

MJF is champ. Bring the heel era to AEW.

Yup, the Punk shit really messed up things though. Now we basically have Regal either leaving his own group, or maybe they kicked Mox? And now likely they all job to Mox...which I'm not a fan of as they all look weak losing to Jericho over and over already. They've needed a heel champ for a while so it's a nice change of pace

AJUMP23

Yup, the Punk shit really messed up things though. Now we basically have Regal either leaving his own group, or maybe they kicked Mox? And now likely they all job to Mox...which I'm not a fan of as they all look weak losing to Jericho over and over already. They've needed a heel champ for a while so it's a nice change of pace
Mox wanted a vacation. So he is going on vacation. He was supposed to after Punk.

Dthomp

Mox wanted a vacation. So he is going on vacation. He was supposed to after Punk.

For sure, i knew bout the vacation, had Punk not messed crap up Mox would have been gone, MJF likely maybe beats Punk and the boring BCC just stays as is I'd imagine.

Top Bottom