• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What an entrance.

Benny Hill Laughing GIF by tylaum

Soodanim

I don't know why I bothered clicking play, I was never going to like what I saw. They proudly put that 4 way super kick circus routine of a match in a video to a backing of "I've got no love for the fakeness", which tells me they're purposely being awful or have a complete lack of self-awareness. The crowd looks dead, too. At least when Colt came back and dropped Jericho and himself off the turnbuckle he was trying to look like a wrestler in a contest, even if the most memorable thing there was the attempt on Jericho's life.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't know why I bothered clicking play, I was never going to like what I saw. They proudly put that 4 way super kick circus routine of a match in a video to a backing of "I've got no love for the fakeness", which tells me they're purposely being awful or have a complete lack of self-awareness. The crowd looks dead, too. At least when Colt came back and dropped Jericho and himself off the turnbuckle he was trying to look like a wrestler in a contest, even if the most memorable thing there was the attempt on Jericho's life.
Vice Tv Whatever GIF by DARK SIDE OF THE RING

RavageX

I watched a little. Not being familiar with most of the ppl there, none of them appeared to be wrestlers. Looking the part i mean. I also had it muted, so it just looked like some kids hanging out with a couple of older guys here and there.

Dthomp

I haven't watched that vid yet, and I honestly was kind of over BTE when it really just turned into jobbers doing dumb shit in the hallways skits featuring that awful John Silver character, but I will say as far as the super kick circus stuff, I USUALLY am a big fan of the Bucks, but for some reason when they wrestle the Lucha Bros it's like 10x the stupid as any other pairings of both teams. I actually find the LB to be far worse with the absurd setups on a regular basis, but paired together just does nothing for me as a fan.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People have fond memories of the My Way promo (Rock vs Austin) but I think the Daniel Bryan 'Monster' promo is probably the best one WWE has produced

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

AEW is 100% back.
Incredible Dynamite top to bottom and MJF wasnt even there yet. So much to look forward to.
Good riddance Punk - much better product without you.

Some of yall hating on the Elite v Lucha Bros are crazy. This is top class entertaining wrestling - completely stole the entire show tonight. Thats as good an athletic live performance act as youll ever see - in a ring, a circus, a sporting event - anywhere. And it was on free TV. Enjoy it while theyre still around...

Ol'Scratch

I do not know if they will run it but one thing I like about the story with Vance and -1 is that not only will you have Dark Order and friends wanting payback, but you also could have JAS since Tay and Anna Jay are there.
Also makes a good way for Hangman to return since he has been off tv for a few weeks

AJUMP23

Jey Uso is now defending Sami.....Just like I said he would be his most loyal guy in my breakdown of what should go on.

AJUMP23

Mjf Delivers, The belt looks dumb and is perfect. I knew it was a round for the young bucks. They will win the next and it will get to 3 and 3 before the last match.

CosmicComet

MJF is cringe af.

He looks like a complete dork and tries too hard with his smarky overly expletive filled promos.

He would suck in the WWE promo wise where they have more restrictions to work with.

People are calling him a "generational" talent and they are delusional. He is not even at Punk's peak level and even HE was not a generational talent.

NickFire

MJF is cringe af.

He looks like a complete dork and tries too hard with his smarky overly expletive filled promos.

He would suck in the WWE promo wise where they have more restrictions to work with.

People are calling him a "generational" talent and they are delusional. He is not even at Punk's peak level and even HE was not a generational talent.
Hard disagree. The dude is killing it. Reading WR the rejection email that WR sent him as a parting shot was one of the best first promo post championship win of all time.

Dthomp

MJF is cringe af.

I'm actually fully with you on this. For a dude who loves to call everybody "mid" he should check the mirror cause he's the definition of the word. He's a very good promo...and that's where it ends in my eyes, cause he's below average in the ring (not Miz bad), and he's not big enough a deal to wrestle as infrequently as he does. Kenny Omega is a special attraction, Roman and Brock are special attractions. That promo was pretty hot garbage, it was like 18 minutes of rambling that should have been cut down to 7 minutes at most. The Regal turn served no purpose at all other then to just get rid of him I suppose, everything else could have been achieved with the Firm.

Him constantly talking about WWE makes his own company sound cheap and bad. How are new viewers supposed to see the show when the champ says he'd rather be in WWE? Plus WWE would DEFINITELY restrict his constant bitching in his promos, and likely wouldn't be ok with the levels he has to stoop for cheap heat attacking crowd members. I don't think people are calling him a "generational talent" it's just him, his own biggest fan. But you are spot on with the Punk comparison, Punk at peak leading up to MITB with Cena is miles better a promo and worker then MJF may ever be, and Punk was always just kind of upper midcard talent there...which is likely where MJF SHOULD be right now. Their main event scene is a joke because they felt the need to do the old TNA thing of pushing their originals against the other guys from other places instead of letting their home grown talent grow and get there naturally.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Bray Wyatt is extremely boring or is it just me?
His stuff doesn't seem to translate that well to the medium of wrestling. People talk about him as this master storyteller, but over the past few years has there been anyone involved with as many terrible storylines/feuds as he has?

NickFire

Bray Wyatt is extremely boring or is it just me?
I really haven’t paid him attention since his return. Just hasn’t hooked me in. I kind of attribute my lack of interest to the way he was used previously and coming back too soft (appreciative instead of angry). Always felt like once I started seeing him as a serious threat, he would get buried one way or another.

His stuff doesn't seem to translate that well to the medium of wrestling. People talk about him as this master storyteller, but over the past few years has there been anyone involved with as many terrible storylines/feuds as he has?
I'm changed, I don't wanna hurt you, if I did, I would kill you.

200w.gif

NickFire

Huge MJF fan, but I do hope we turn a page from talking about WWE tonight. I know he's trying to turn cheers into boos, and the bidding war of 2024 could be something that makes any late 2023 matches feel really important if he's still champ. But continuing to glowingly talk about WWE at this juncture will just devalue AEW, their CHAMPION, and all of his future opponents. And not for nothing, it could backfire tremendously on MJF if AEW grows and MJF actually signs with WWE. What's a couple million to WWE if the end result is making their new star look like a chump to make their only competition look B tier?

NickFire

Looking forward to Royal Rumble through post Wrestlemania. Right now I think WWE is treading water for a few weeks. Really enjoyed KO's interactions with Elias this week. But its kind of stale with Roman barely showing up. Guy definitely put his time in and earned his spot, and Bloodline is still killing it. Just wished we saw him more since he's holding the top belts.

Dthomp

Looking forward to Royal Rumble through post Wrestlemania. Right now I think WWE is treading water for a few weeks. Really enjoyed KO's interactions with Elias this week. But its kind of stale with Roman barely showing up. Guy definitely put his time in and earned his spot, and Bloodline is still killing it. Just wished we saw him more since he's holding the top belts.

This was why combining the belts was dumb. Both dudes in the match were part timers, Roman is seen as a SD guy, you keep the SD belt on him and push the IC belt heavy while Raw gets to keep a champ "that is there every week". Belts need off Roman and each their own champ that isn't 100 or part time.

NickFire

Morrisy is big bill? Who thought that was good.
It made me wonder if Tony is getting advice from Vince. But maybe we're the fools and the crowds will be roaring with "Big Bill, Big Bill, Big Bill" chants. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Wow, so that explains why they moved up the title match and pulled it off of Mandy Rose

Mandy Release from the WWE.
I'm a little surprised they are doubling down on blocking talent from outside gigs like this so hard right now. Just seems silly to do anything to make a different promotion a better deal for performers if they can make huge money doing non-wrestling work.

Naked Lunch

The Micheal Jordan/NBA on NBC music for the Best of 7 Elite/Lucha series is hilarious.
So weird - and somehow both out of place, but not.
Pure genius.
Most people in the crowd were prolly like huh - what the hell is that music?

The Jerico match vs the jobber was one of the loudest crowd reactions I could remember. AEW crowds are night and day from WWE. It goes back to wrestling's heyday.
The match reminded me of the 1 2 3 kid.

Quality entertainment all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG
The Micheal Jordan/NBA on NBC music for the Best of 7 Elite/Lucha series is hilarious.
So weird - and somehow both out of place, but not.
Pure genius.
Most people in the crowd were prolly like huh - what the hell is that music?

Loved the Roundball Rock. I couldn't help but ponder the rights to that though. I'm guessing NBA is no longer on NBC? Is the Turner stuff under the same conglomerate as NBC these days? I don't know, I would have protected Teshy's musical gem were I in control of the rights. That shit would be harder to get from me than the Beatles catalog.
The Jerico match vs the jobber was one of the loudest crowd reactions I could remember. AEW crowds are night and day from WWE. It goes back to wrestling's heyday.
The match reminded me of the 1 2 3 kid.

Quality entertainment all around.
Yeah that was great, though the ending got a little Botchamania. But still a very fun match.

Naked Lunch

Loved the Roundball Rock. I couldn't help but ponder the rights to that though. I'm guessing NBA is no longer on NBC? Is the Turner stuff under the same conglomerate as NBC these days? I don't know, I would have protected Teshy's musical gem were I in control of the rights. That shit would be harder to get from me than the Beatles catalog.
NBA isnt currently on NBC, no - but things shift around. The NBC NBA theme hasnt been used in an official capacity for years - maybe decades. Instantly memorable though.
Hockey is back on ESPN with its classic theme up and running again after being on hiatus for years.

I think its more of Tony and the wrestlers themselves coming up with ideas and Tony just opening up the checkbook.
Explains the Elite's new theme - and Orange Cassidy of course - now this NBA theme.

Last edited:

Dthomp

NBA isnt currently on NBC, no - but things shift around. The NBC NBA theme hasnt been used in an official capacity for years - maybe decades. Instantly memorable though.
Hockey is back on ESPN with its classic theme up and running again after being on hiatus for years.

I think its more of Tony and the wrestlers themselves coming up with ideas and Tony just opening up the checkbook.
Explains the Elite's new theme - and Orange Cassidy of course - now this NBA theme.

I was over the Elites new theme after about halfway down the aisle the first time they used it. It's time to go back to the Bucks music and if you want to open the checkbook, pay NJPW and get Devils Sky for Kenny

Top Bottom