• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wow wonder if leaving the business to his kids/family was ever in the cards?

Seeing how his father treated him. Makes sense he would do the same.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I don't watch wrestling, but I do follow it through Cornette's podcast. If its true the Saudi's bought it, rest in peace WWE. lol

Definitely gonna lose A LOT of talent. And the most over wrestler right now outside of Reigns, Sami. You just hate to see it. Can't imagine what the Saudi's have planned even if Vince stays on board with creative.

GametimeUK

I definitely understand someone would sell their business to make a truckload of money, but when you're Vinces age and having so much money already wouldn't it make more sense to hand the business down to your loved ones? You can't take money to the grave...

which makes me believe this is 100% motivated by Vinces ego and lust for power. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Vestal

Gold Member
Going to WWE Smackdown this Friday. Have not watched it in years. Anything I can read/watch to somewhat brief me on the story lines?
Well there are rumors flying around that WWE has been sold to a Saudi Public Fund and is back to being a Private Company. Would line up with Stephanie resigning yesterday.

So you may be in for a treat come Friday.

Stay tuned.

Vestal

Gold Member

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a revolt within the WWE ranks if this sale is true... Smackdown would turn into a truly hostile environment if true.

MAtgS

I don't watch wrestling, but I do follow it through Cornette's podcast. If its true the Saudi's bought it, rest in peace WWE. lol

Definitely gonna lose A LOT of talent. And the most over wrestler right now outside of Reigns, Sami. You just hate to see it. Can't imagine what the Saudi's have planned even if Vince stays on board with creative.
Lose talent? Ha, if anything WWE can throw bigger paychecks around now and sign literally anyone except the extreme few willing to turn down millions.

Also, Cornette really shouldn't be your go to for wrestling news. That's like Fox News being your source on climate change info.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Lose talent? Ha, if anything WWE can throw bigger paychecks around now and sign literally anyone except the extreme few willing to turn down millions.

Also, Cornette really shouldn't be your go to for wrestling news. That's like Fox News being your source on climate change info.
Sure, they can throw more money, but for some of those wrestlers it isn't enough money for them to lay up with the Saudi's. Just is what it is. But we'll see how it plays out. This is jumping the gun.

And why shouldn't Cornette be my go to? I find his podcast entertaining aside from his political nonsense, but listening to him talk about WWE and AEW is pure gold, in my opinion. His and Brian Last perspective somewhat aligns with how I view wrestling, so that's another thing. But since I'm entertaining, who should I listen to in your opinion?

MAtgS

Sure, they can throw more money, but for some of those wrestlers it isn't enough money for them to lay up with the Saudi's. Just is what it is. But we'll see how it plays out. This is jumping the gun.

And why shouldn't Cornette be my go to? I find his podcast entertaining aside from his political nonsense, but listening to him talk about WWE and AEW is pure gold, in my opinion. His and Brian Last perspective somewhat aligns with how I view wrestling, so that's another thing. But since I'm entertaining, who should I listen to in your opinion?
Hasn't stopped 98% of them from still going to the Saudi shows anyway.

Naked Lunch

Saudi this Saudi that.
Meanwhile AEW putting on the best live TV wrestling shows in the past 20 years.
I sound like a shill at this point but damn AEW is on fire.

Konouke v Danielson was a classic and the Elite endcap - crazy this stuff is weekly free TV.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Ladder match for the trios title was a great show. The Elite were always going to win as they were supposed to be champs at the ppv.

ladies tag match was great.

all in all a great show.

With Bo Dallas being the brother of Bray Wyatt for real, it's no surprise he is speculated to be appearing as the Uncle Howdy character.

I think he was wasted in his earlier WWE run. Like a lot of talent on TV, really. They start off strong, then just fizzle out onto mediocrity, and then he didn't appear for a year up to his release.

AEW has been good the past couple of weeks for sure. I liked the Darby Allin/Samoa Joe hometown booking. And happy to see this guy back:
Adam Cole Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

WWE has been pretty mediocre. Sami is still fun... the Dominik thing is getting a bit stale. I saw my very first Cena match in that tag team a couple of weeks ago. He's kind of a cheeseball. Maybe he had a little edge back in the day?

I talked a bit of shit about Schiavone and company upon my return to wrestling viewing but I'll listen to Schiavone over that Irish(?) dude on Raw who sounds like he was recruited straight from his very first third-rate esports casting gig. IS THIS THE MOMENT?!?!? Dude shut up.

I guess Christmas is a little bit of a PPV dead zone these days. WCW always had Starrcade around Christmas back when I watched.

I'm kind of interested to see how the Royal Rumble is these days. And I've had like 9 months to learn the roster so it won't just be an unidentifiable mass of humanity to me. But it sounds like the women get a Rumble too? Is that right? God save me. There is nothing that murders my interest in an episode of WWE faster than Damage Control showing up.

Soodanim

Gold Member
AEW has been good the past couple of weeks for sure. I liked the Darby Allin/Samoa Joe hometown booking. And happy to see this guy back:
Adam Cole Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

WWE has been pretty mediocre. Sami is still fun... the Dominik thing is getting a bit stale. I saw my very first Cena match in that tag team a couple of weeks ago. He's kind of a cheeseball. Maybe he had a little edge back in the day?

I talked a bit of shit about Schiavone and company upon my return to wrestling viewing but I'll listen to Schiavone over that Irish(?) dude on Raw who sounds like he was recruited straight from his very first third-rate esports casting gig. IS THIS THE MOMENT?!?!? Dude shut up.

I guess Christmas is a little bit of a PPV dead zone these days. WCW always had Starrcade around Christmas back when I watched.

I'm kind of interested to see how the Royal Rumble is these days. And I've had like 9 months to learn the roster so it won't just be an unidentifiable mass of humanity to me. But it sounds like the women get a Rumble too? Is that right? God save me. There is nothing that murders my interest in an episode of WWE faster than Damage Control showing up.
I wonder if WWE will still force a 50:50 men:women split now that Stephanie is gone. Things like women's rumbles seem like obvious skips. Who wants to see two RRs in one go? Kills the uniqueness of it, if nothing else.

That WWE "Then Now Together Forever" sounds like the kind of shit they make you recite in a cult right before you have to drink a magic cyanide potion to teleport to the planet Xanthren.

The Khans buying WWE would, on the one hand, be hilarious, but uhh I don't know if it would do wonders for competition in the "sports entertainment" space. I think as part of this deal they need to sell AEW to Vinnie Mac.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If Tony buys WWE that would be insane. But he can’t realistically run three promotions. He would need to concentrate on one and the other two would have to be run by others. (HHH for WWE) but if AEW were to do a crossover with WWE and NJPW that would be insane.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
It makes no sense for the Khans to buy it, any consideration is nothing more than fan fantasy. Tony can't afford it on his own, and I don't know why Shad would buy his boy a second promotion. The whole thing would be a mess for everyone involved

NickFire

It makes no sense for the Khans to buy it, any consideration is nothing more than fan fantasy. Tony can't afford it on his own, and I don't know why Shad would buy his boy a second promotion. The whole thing would be a mess for everyone involved
I don't think so either. If anything they should double down on AEW and maybe start poaching backstage people. This is a golden opportunity for them to move up a few notches while the smoke clears if they can keep from tripping over their own feet.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
From what I've seen Hard to Kill was a good watch. I really like Josh Alexander. Shame he didn't come around a dozen years ago when impact/tna had a real audience every week.

dave_d

From what I've seen Hard to Kill was a good watch. I really like Josh Alexander. Shame he didn't come around a dozen years ago when impact/tna had a real audience every week.
Wait, around 2010 where they managed to screw up so many TNA originals. (IE circa Hogan and Bishoff) Yeah they would have screwed him up like all the rest.

dave_d

For those that haven't seen it , state police info on the accident. Not sure if wearing his seatbelt would have made a difference since the lady died.(For all I know his pickup had back seats and his kids could have been back there.) Also no idea why she crossed the median.(Sure she could have been texting but she could have swerved to miss an animal or hit black ice.)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
For those that haven't seen it , state police info on the accident. Not sure if wearing his seatbelt would have made a difference since the lady died.(For all I know his pickup had back seats and his kids could have been back there.) Also no idea why she crossed the median.(Sure she could have been texting but she could have swerved to miss an animal or hit black ice.)
His girls were in the truck one may be paralyzed from the waist down the other had broken bones and is in traction recovering.

GladiusFrog

I live in the area, No black ice. People around here drive like assholes. Narrow two lane country roads and people veer into oncoming lanes all the time.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I live in the area, No black ice. People around here drive like assholes. Narrow two lane country roads and people veer into oncoming lanes all the time.
It'a horrible that useless cunts take innocent people with them when they earn their Darwin awards. Picking up your daughters from cheerleading practice, minutes away from home, and something like this happens.

I've been listening to Cornette's podcast, and I didn't realise how much this affected him. Obviously not quite as bad as Bobby Eaton, but still talking through tears, barely knowing what to say, and having the same philosophy of "If I don't talk about this I can never do a podcast again".

Then Jim turned his anger towards the unnamed executive that blocked the tribute from being on TV. Said that if anyone gets him the info of the executive doing this to Jay he'll put whatever details he's given out, no fucks given. Really, it is a top level cunt move to block the tribute over a years old tweet apologised for many times through words and actions. Some person gets to be heartless and spiteful from an anonymous position, continuing to judge a man by one tweet and nothing else.

It's a sad state of affairs from every angle.

dave_d

Damn. I try to keep an open mind on how it could have happened since I don't know the area before immediately blaming. That being said I wouldn't be that surprised if it was some idiot texting and driving at the same time. (I mean the average driver around here isn't capable of taking a simple turn correctly amongst other things.)

Top Bottom