• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Bullet Club

Lulu!

TxRfK2A.jpg

G6luEUM.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I hope AEW picks up no one. The roster is almost too big now for what AEW does. WWE had a giant roster because they had house shows to send the mid tier roster to. AEW does no house shows and doesn't need a gigantic roster.

WWE may also release a bunch of talent to hope the competitor picks them up and give AEW bloat. Then they have creative issues and seem less interesting.

Last edited:

MAtgS

I hope AEW picks up no one. The roster is almost too big now for what AEW does. WWE had a giant roster because they had house shows to send the mid tier roster to. AEW does no house shows and doesn't need a gigantic roster.

WWE may also release a bunch of talent to hope the competitor picks them up and give AEW bloat. Then they have creative issues and seem less interesting.
They ain't passing on Keith Lee. He could be the 1st black guy to get a halfway decent push in the promotion.

Besides, a lot of AEW contracts are up in 2022. We'll be seeing their first wave of releases by then & room will open up.

dave_d

The one guy that I'm always amazed they don't release is Jeff Hardy. I mean he probably has less than a year on his contract and he'll probably go with his brother to AEW once it's up. Besides that the guy is 44 so it amazes me that they keep him. I know, he probably sells a decent amount of merchandise but you just wonder.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The one guy that I'm always amazed they don't release is Jeff Hardy. I mean he probably has less than a year on his contract and he'll probably go with his brother to AEW once it's up. Besides that the guy is 44 so it amazes me that they keep him. I know, he probably sells a decent amount of merchandise but you just wonder.
The chicks dig him and like you said he sells merch. I could easily see him leaving for aew. He's worked everywhere else lol.

Harts316

I agree. AEW has a ton of talent and they can barley get them all on TV every week. They really don't need former WWE guys anymore. It also gives off the desperate TNA vibes where every WWE castoff ended up showing up in the Impact Zone.

Dthomp

I’m all for more AEW signings, it means that I never need to see bums like Joey Janella, the entire nightmare family, none of the “factory” guys, cut half the dark order jobbers and give me some Keith Lee, the future wwe cuts, and DANHAUSEN

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I’m all for more AEW signings, it means that I never need to see bums like Joey Janella, the entire nightmare family, none of the “factory” guys, cut half the dark order jobbers and give me some Keith Lee, the future wwe cuts, and DANHAUSEN
Factory guys are with Rhodes and he is vp so you are going to see them. I think DARK ORDER has become great with hangman. Their Halloween match with the Elite was fun.

Dthomp

Factory guys are with Rhodes and he is vp so you are going to see them. I think DARK ORDER has become great with hangman. Their Halloween match with the Elite was fun.

I'm fine with the Halloween match, but DO has become a joke. Cut the fat, bring in Bray put him in charge and cut down to Uno/Stu/Heel Anna Jay/Heel "10". Lose the jobber tag team that gets way too much time in Silver and Reynolds, let Cabana just run out his deal, he doesn't really bring much to the table. They were all much better with Brodie as a heel faction pretending to be good then this nonsense that they are now.

I get the value of keeping Whoever the guy that is in charge of the factory cause he's a trainer right? But he doesn't need to be an on air wrestler taking time away from all the talent they've brought in. These Cody underlings may have been useful at first when they didn't have all the influx of talent, but you'd have to be nuts not to let them lapse for guys like Lee, the potential chance to bring in Kevin Steen and El Generico, Danhausen, and a few of the talented woman from WWE/ROH that got cut. There are at least 8 women off the top of my head I'd let go without even noticing they are gone. They need Mia, Taya and others so much more then Red Velvet, Abadon, and the parade of jobber women on Dark/DE.

dave_d

I'm fine with the Halloween match, but DO has become a joke. Cut the fat, bring in Bray put him in charge and cut down to Uno/Stu/Heel Anna Jay/Heel "10". Lose the jobber tag team that gets way too much time in Silver and Reynolds, let Cabana just run out his deal, he doesn't really bring much to the table. They were all much better with Brodie as a heel faction pretending to be good then this nonsense that they are now.

I get the value of keeping Whoever the guy that is in charge of the factory cause he's a trainer right? But he doesn't need to be an on air wrestler taking time away from all the talent they've brought in. These Cody underlings may have been useful at first when they didn't have all the influx of talent, but you'd have to be nuts not to let them lapse for guys like Lee, the potential chance to bring in Kevin Steen and El Generico, Danhausen, and a few of the talented woman from WWE/ROH that got cut. There are at least 8 women off the top of my head I'd let go without even noticing they are gone. They need Mia, Taya and others so much more then Red Velvet, Abadon, and the parade of jobber women on Dark/DE.
I'd say you forgot Big Swole but I'd rather not remember her if I don't have to.

don't forget with the last year of releases. A chunk of these people asked for their release. And instead of forcing them to honor their contract like they used to do.They've been good about letting ppl leave now.

They haven't really lost much value as far as ppl they cut, that didn't want to leave. It only makes u realize how huge WWE's roster truly is. When they can dump like 70 ppl and u barely notice.

DKehoe

Gold Member
The Dark Order have done a good job of getting themselves over despite initially being weighed down by a bad gimmick. It'd be a pity for them to get dragged back down by whatever shit Bray comes up with if he does come to AEW.

Hinedorf

Banned
I always liked Joey Janella mainly because it felt like everything about his character was so 80's cheesedick. Keith Lee is great on the mic but I don't know where he'd fit/fight. I'd rather see Miro/Murderhawk/Luchasaurus get more push as big men versus him.

Bullet Club

I want to see Nia vs Tessa in WOW. Whoever is booking should tell them they are both jobbing before the match, that will make the action spicier.

MAtgS

Cut the most over member of the group. Wow, with that kind of brilliant booking, you could work for WWE!

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy

vince mcmahon wwe GIF

Dthomp

Cut the most over member of the group. Wow, with that kind of brilliant booking, you could work for WWE!

Disco Inferno was hella over too, doesn’t mean he sold merchandise, put on good matches, or was even remotely fun to watch wrestle…

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Disco Inferno was hella over too, doesn’t mean he sold merchandise, put on good matches, or was even remotely fun to watch wrestle…
He was pretty decent in the ring. Nothing wrong with his performances anyway. The problem is he was in a stacked division at the time.

Dthomp

Fucking MPLS in November…

Got a 3 1/2-4 hour drive to Rampage/Full Gear with clear skies, now I’m seeing snow in the forecast through the weekend. 😭

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Who should beat CM Punk? Ideally, you'd have him put over a 'homegrown' talent but AEW hasn't been around long enough for that.

What the fuck did Vince do to Becky

10/10 would still lesbo it up with her

Fucking MPLS in November…

Got a 3 1/2-4 hour drive to Rampage/Full Gear with clear skies, now I’m seeing snow in the forecast through the weekend. 😭
I feel lucky. I'm taking the train from St Paul to the Target Center both Fri/Sat. I do not wanna drive in downtown Minneapolis for this. Absolutely not. Best of luck to you! Be safe!

Dthomp

10/10 would still lesbo it up with her

I feel lucky. I'm taking the train from St Paul to the Target Center both Fri/Sat. I do not wanna drive in downtown Minneapolis for this. Absolutely not. Best of luck to you! Be safe!
Thanks, I’ve got family in St. Cloud so me and my wife are gonna meet up there and get a lift to our hotel for three nights and come get us on Sunday. I have no clue how nasty trying to drive around that area would be for multiple days.

Now, how do we get Becky to leave the wwe and come over to the better company 😂

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This is a great read

Finally got to it, I did not expect the feels. An incredible story, about a wrestler. He has been an amazing addition to AEW.

Now, how do we get Becky to leave the wwe and come over to the better company 😂
No, let her stay over there she is great and all but let the AEW women build something great. Britt Baker has exploded (especially in Pittsburg). There is some good talent in AEW women's division but they need to grow and improve in the ring. They have high caliber and low level but no real mid card, they need some women in the mid card.

Dthomp

Finally got to it, I did not expect the feels. An incredible story, about a wrestler. He has been an amazing addition to AEW.

No, let her stay over there she is great and all but let the AEW women build something great. Britt Baker has exploded (especially in Pittsburg). There is some good talent in AEW women's division but they need to grow and improve in the ring. They have high caliber and low level but no real mid card, they need some women in the mid card.

See, I think the womens divsion there has improved BUT they are still lacking in starpower outside of Britt (And she's passable at best in the ring). They debutted Ruby like she wasn't a jobber for the last decade and already seem a bit pulled back on her after seeing her work. Much like Cody, she's all entrance, then the hype ends. I think Becky is capable of being the best overall package for a womans wrestler right now, also still average to maybe above average in the ring. In a perfect world somehow her and Drew would be available and leave and I never have to pay attention to WWE ever again :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

I however think the problem with the AEW Woman, is that they have a shitton of jobbers, and a midcard, but they truly lack any real main event level talent. I like Tay Conti ALOT, but is she a main event caliber worker or talker? Nah. They overexposed Shida during the pandemic, never ever losing matches, beating everyone multiple times. I think Kenny thought the Japanese workers they started the company with would blaze this crazy trail, and almost all of them failed to get crickets. I don't have any real answer for how you build up a better main event roster of woman outside of hiring one, or trying to find a great mind like Finley, or maybe a female from that era who is passionate about teaching wrestling. If Jade could get hooked up with somebody to teach her some basic stuff she'll be great for them, but she's green as shit right now. Statlander too, if she can get healthy...and maybe develop her character more, as the alien thing is still dumb. Rosa is good, but I think would suffer the same fate as Shida/Riho with babyface wins belt and then is unbeatable til they aren't.

That's an issue I kind of have with all the champs though. I'm not saying they should lose every week. But I think it was Mox's last match his record career was like 44-4-1. Now I'm not a Mox fan in the slightest (He's just a more hardcore boring Dean Ambrose), but 44-4? He's capable of a 3 1/2 star match AT BEST and is pushed like he's prime SCSA/Rock/HHH. Kenny does at least give up ALOT of offense in his matches (Sometimes to guys who don't/shouldn't be getting it). TYB were unbeatable forever before finally dropping to the Lucha Bros who were beyond super protected up until this recent AAA title loss. Britt is the WORST offender of them all, because the opponent is ALWAYS in a spot to come out of the feud looking worse. Britt gets to be the edgy heel character so everybody cheers her, and the nerd babyface across from her has to somehow try to win over the crowd (Which they won't), and then have to play the dummy good girl while her heel valets cheat for her. I'm fine with heels cheating, but you either turn her baby and keep the edge, or have her BE an actual heel. I always felt weaker workers were better as cheater heels and chickenshits to help hide their in ring shortcomings.

That was more then I originally intended to type. Love talking wrestling. Also wish they'd release a sweet looking DMD shirt I could grab for the PPV

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think the fans at the show have a lot to do with why Mox is pushed. People love him. Personally I would love a Peter Avalon push, he is a lot of fun.

I just think for AEW to grow, they need to not rely on talent released from WWE. It is what eventually brought down WCW, that and the poor use of talent. AEW having home grown talent is the best thing they can do, I actually think WWE is somehow releasing a lot of people hoping the competition does take them because they are subpar. Granted some of the AEW developed talent like Velvet is very subpar. And when watching a women's match at times they seem so stiff like they are remembering what to do next. Compared to Young Bucks or OC, Lucha Bros Omega, Everything flows and looks good. No women on either roster is there.

Reactions: RNG

Dthomp

I think the fans at the show have a lot to do with why Mox is pushed. People love him. Personally I would love a Peter Avalon push, he is a lot of fun.

I just think for AEW to grow, they need to not rely on talent released from WWE. It is what eventually brought down WCW, that and the poor use of talent. AEW having home grown talent is the best thing they can do, I actually think WWE is somehow releasing a lot of people hoping the competition does take them because they are subpar. Granted some of the AEW developed talent like Velvet is very subpar. And when watching a women's match at times they seem so stiff like they are remembering what to do next. Compared to Young Bucks or OC, Lucha Bros Omega, Everything flows and looks good. No women on either roster is there.

LOL, i was gonna bring up Red Velvet, but there is no point. She is awful, another talent that only has a job cause of being one of Codys family or whatever. She is almost to Nia Jax levels of just bad out there. You are completely right that too many of their women look like they are just trying to remember the next spot then pose. AEW needs to develop some type of system for developing younger talent I think, cause I don't know where they get talent now other then releases for the most part. Nobody that I've seen from the Nightmare Factory seem like they are even a little bit good or entertaining.

I will say and I'm sure WWE probably thinks releasing talent for them to sign will sink them, but almost every person they have released and have gone elsewhere are dudes that can easily be made into main event players, and should have in WWE if they weren't so busy bringing back "legends" Miro was at one point the TOP merchandise seller and most over guy on the roster...like two different times. HE HAD A FUCKING TANK AT MANIA!!!! Andrade is a fantastic get, and should have been pushed to the moon for the hispanic audience they want, but easier to trot out Rey for big bucks with two bad legs then develop Andrade more. AEW I think has dropped the ball with him thus far, I like the idea of a mafia style badass for him, I think that DSOTR thing with Flair likely derailed some plans to bring Flair in as his mouthpiece after he dumped Chavo. Black is money if done right, his character is different while still being an ass kicker in the ring, just get him far away from Cody.

I'd imagine though that alot of those guys come at a fraction of what he gave Moxley, that's what Khan needs to avoid, giving out MORE then the WWE offers to take talent. That's what killed WCW..and alot of other things, Bischoff being a focal point on tv and ego. Hogan made sense to spend on, but I imagine they gave those huge contracts to every available talent to "take them away". I think Keith Lee (IF HEALTHY) is a slam dunk. He oozes charisma, and is talented as hell in the ring. Mia Yim adds somebody who can work without thinking in the ring, much like Serena. I wouldn't touch any of the other releases, unless Kross/Scarlett come SUPER cheap, cause the duo can work, but they gotta prove it. I think Ember has too much wear and tear to be worth it. Didn't she already retire once due to nagging injuries on the main roster? Plus as flashy as the top rope stunner is, taking it directly on your tailbone for years has to have done a number on her, and she's one of those woman I've never really understood why she was over. She's 1 move that gets a pop.

In the end...AEW needs another hour of TV. They just do at this point, but not at 10pm on a Friday night. Rampage needs to either move up in timeslot and add a second hour, or move to Monday night as a two hour show. They have so much talent and WAY too many groups (Likely to get them all on TV), not to have more television to showcase them. Plus you add in Lee, likely Danhausen, a couple of free agent women, and likely another few upcoming dudes how do you get them on the show? Dark and DE are supposed to be their shows to get exposure for the youth and unexperienced, but if Steen, Zayn, and Kyle O'Reilly come up in the next three months you don't pass on those guys either. It's crazy that WWE does 5 hours of TV a week and it feels like 4 hours too much and AEW has 3 hours a week, and it feels like they need 2 more hours.

Hinedorf

Banned

MJF needs a real push towards something other than being their best heel without a championship

dave_d

I just think for AEW to grow, they need to not rely on talent released from WWE. It is what eventually brought down WCW, that and the poor use of talent.
And Impact/TNA. At least when I was watching it they had their own guys but whenever somebody from WCW/WWF would show up they'd just bury their own talent and push the guy. (Nash, Sting, Angle, Hogan are all major stars but they missed so many opportunities to get their own guys over like AJ, Joe, Daniels with those guys) The thing that summed it up best is when my brother, who's not a wrestling fan, saw it and called it the ex-WWF.

Dthomp

And Impact/TNA. At least when I was watching it they had their own guys but whenever somebody from WCW/WWF would show up they'd just bury their own talent and push the guy. (Nash, Sting, Angle, Hogan are all major stars but they missed so many opportunities to get their own guys over like AJ, Joe, Daniels with those guys) The thing that summed it up best is when my brother, who's not a wrestling fan, saw it and called it the ex-WWF.

An interesting comparison, I would say though that when TNA brought in Hogan and Nash, they were beyond washed up. Should never have been in a ring. Sting..he is probably in that group too, AEW has protected him much more then TNA/WWE did so he works in that capacity. Angle is the only one that should have been beating main eventers, but I think they rushed it too fast with him.

The only talent brought in that I would argue should be right into the title picture is Danielson. This guy just main evented Wrestlemania in the same year, and by his first month or two has shown he can go with anyone and is on par if not better in the ring then Kenny is right now (And Kenny is hella beat up these days). Punk I like the slow build since you just don't know what 7 years away does to the body at his age. I think Bryan for sure, and I'm sure Punk is that way now, want to help the younger guys, but the right ones. I love quite a few of the....I don't want to say homegrown cause lets be honest, AEW exists cause they cleared the pantry in ROH and stole Kenny from NJPW. The thing is you put the younger guys over when it's time, and honestly...it's not time just yet for the "Pillars" guys. Sammy is the worst TNT champion thus far, way to much of a hotshot for a big moment when they did it. Miro was firing on all cylinders. Hangman is a good story (Remind me why he's the good guy that left his friends and wanted nothing to do with them?), but he's average at best in the ring, and has nobody in the wings to feud with. Kenny retains and we get Kenny/Bryan 2, Kenny/Punk, as well as other feuds while the rising heels can be built up like Kingston and Moxley eventually...THEN you put the belt on a Page, when there are built up heels. If they put the belt on Page and his first feud is a Miro who beats Bryan (TERRIBLE DECISION) that's gonna fall super flat for most fans. MJF is money, but the dude needs to WRESTLE to be the complete package. Honestly, for the next year I'd love to see him beat Sammy pretty handily, and him and Hangman feud over that belt like Rock/Austin/HHH before they all broke through to the main event. I just don't care enough about Darby to think about him. Hardcore trash matches like Mox for him.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Wait, Jay Lethal is now AEW? Can they get Castle and Grisham next? (Oh an Ian and Caprice to do some comentary.)
Yup. According to PWinsider his contract was up the 31st of December but he asked for his release and got it. He won't be at FInal Battle either.

Hinedorf

Banned
I enjoyed Full Gear but thought it was underwhelming compared to All Out, curious to see how long Hangman holds the belt

Reactions: RNG

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Kinda crazy that AEW essentially killed ROH. Jay Lethal is a good get for them. I wonder if anyone will touch the Briscoes? They are "problematic" apparently.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Kinda crazy that AEW essentially killed ROH. Jay Lethal is a good get for them. I wonder if anyone will touch the Briscoes? They are "problematic" apparently.
The Briscoes have shown up in GCW and won their tag team titles. I wonder if they just do indy stuff going forward. Because of their farm wrestling isn't an essential income for them.

dave_d

I always figured if they would have killed any league it would have been Impact. They've been hanging on by a thread for years. Hey that reminds me, Jay Lethal is yet another example of Impact having a quality talent early on that some how they messed up and he left for greener pastures.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I always figured if they would have killed any league it would have been Impact. They've been hanging on by a thread for years. Hey that reminds me, Jay Lethal is yet another example of Impact having a quality talent early on that some how they messed up and he left for greener pastures.
I think Impact has monetized its video library fairly effectively over the last few years. That and they've been pretty smart with costs and such. As an 'old school' TNA fan I hope they can continue on. Lethal had some big moments in TNA. I'm not sure why he left. I'm guessing he wanted to be a main event player and management didn't see that. Even though he beat Angle and things like that.

My other guess would be they let him go because of budget cuts after Hogan and his cronies drained them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom