• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Dthomp

Bryan Danielson has been my favorite or second favorite wrestler for at least the last 10 years, but while I've enjoyed his babyface runs, I forget how fucking good he is at being a heel. Save the Environment Hemp Belt Bryan was gold, shame it had to die cause of politics, and gave us that trash Kofi run. I'd LOVE to see this badass Bryan upset Hangman in his first defense so people can have their pathetic "I don't believe in myself" Cowboy back.

Cody having his belt thrown back is one of the best moments in years. I'd like to think he's smart enough to know people actually hate him, but he has a big enough ego thinking he's anything in the industry that I could see him thinking he's on the John Cena level of people booing cause they like him nonsense. I love me an 8 man tag match where Cody on the babyface team is getting the most hatred from the crowd.

Hope JR gets over this issue, but it's time to hang it up. He called Bryan Daneil Bryan again last night...and my issue with that is that he NEVER called a Daniel Bryan match or did much of anything in the WWE to have that name stuck in his mind. Wouldn't it be so much easier to call the man his real name now that he's using it?

Last edited:

Bullet Club

eqPYfdh.jpg

fkjEc4K.gif

Dthomp

I miss the days when nobody knew who Brandi even was, she has quickly become the biggest diva in wrestling, which is a fitting term because she wrestles worse then any Bella did at their worst. Can her and Codys contracts come up and go back to the E' since he is completely unnecessary now that AEW has real star power?

Kagey K

Banned
I miss the days when nobody knew who Brandi even was, she has quickly become the biggest diva in wrestling, which is a fitting term because she wrestles worse then any Bella did at their worst. Can her and Codys contracts come up and go back to the E' since he is completely unnecessary now that AEW has real star power?
I though Cody had an ownership stake in AEW, but some quick googling tells me he is one of the 4 presidents with none of his own money put in.

Not a bad deal, can’t see him giving it up anytime soon.

Dthomp

I though Cody had an ownership stake in AEW, but some quick googling tells me he is one of the 4 presidents with none of his own money put in.

Not a bad deal, can’t see him giving it up anytime soon.

Him, Kenny and the Bucks basically just have titles "Executive Vice Presidents", however Khan basically took over everything after the first 6 months when many of the early things that came from them kind of faltered or were just awful (Alot of Codys programs). Supposedly both Cody and Kenny have not resigned deals and are up in the very near future. Cody is a weird case, I think he has more value on the Indies at this point, or just taking the WWE money to retire on, because he doesn't move the needle at all for AEW anymore, and is clearly hated by their own fanbase (that really doesn't hate anything else). He likely stays because it keeps his wife, his dog, his brother, his jobber friends, and his "trainees that are terrible" all employed. Kenny likely also resigns, but I can see him considering a return to NJPW since he seemed to really love Japan.

AJUMP23

Cody doesn’t deserve the hate. The problem with the growing fan base it is the same malcontents that were loathing WWE, they will move to AEW and be the same old malcontents and drive the product into the ground. “What” chants and “this is awesome” chants all overdone.

I now sound like a malcontent.

Hinedorf

Banned
Cody doesn’t deserve the hate. The problem with the growing fan base it is the same malcontents that were loathing WWE, they will move to AEW and be the same old malcontents and drive the product into the ground. “What” chants and “this is awesome” chants all overdone.

I now sound like a malcontent.
Ever since the loss to MJF everything he's done has been on a jobber level with no intentions of going anywhere decided by himself. Virtually every storyline since has been Cody is the face who gets beat up by the Heel and then comes back to beat the Heel.

Seeing him come out I cringe now too because the storyline is ALWAYS the same, the most entertaining thing that came out of his angles as of late was Double A and the gun quote which further emphasizes the staleness of Cody.

He's basically the Miz, guy more prominently known for his reality show than being a primary figure in the wrestling ring further weighed down by his wife who comes across as the entitled wife who fucked her way into the business and garners zero respect from ANYBODY. (I think she's hot)

AJUMP23

Cody has been the guy the new person in the company gets to beat to add some gravitas to them. And I figured they were doing that to give them some momentum. And they don’t have to sacrifice anyone else, they can throw people Cody and he is willing to do it.
Malaki Black should be gone though. His gimmick is awful.

Marvel

could never
Cody would be such a great heel, too bad he legit doesn't want to.

Some funny highlights from his heel run, he's always been unlikeable and that recent shit with the belt on dynamite was hilarious. Please lean into this shit TK.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Big Swole being gone is the second best headline I could see, right after Cody leaves AEW. What an uninteresting below average jobber they both are.

Labolas

Big Swole being gone is the second best headline I could see, right after Cody leaves AEW. What an uninteresting below average jobber they both are.
Been out of loop, is Big Swole terrible to work with or is she just terrible at wrestling? Because from what little I've seen, she was mediocre at best.

Dthomp

Been out of loop, is Big Swole terrible to work with or is she just terrible at wrestling? Because from what little I've seen, she was mediocre at best.
I don’t think she was bad to work with, she just wasn’t very good. Personally I hated her gimmick too, her matches were always the worst on any card she was on. She became one of those Twitter whiners too, so at that point I was beyond happy to never see her agaon

Kagey K

Banned
Whelp I'm pissed. Instead of my tickets being for the go home Raw before Royal Rumble, they are now for a random Sept Raw in between 2 throwaway PPVs.

Fuck.

Fucked up my son's big Xmas present and I guess it'll be a birthday present now. So angry.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
Whelp I'm pissed. Instead of my tickets being for the go home Raw before Royal Rumble, they are now for a random Sept Raw in between 2 throwaway PPVs.

Fuck.

Fucked up my son's big Xmas present and I guess it'll be a birthday present now. So angry.
a go home rr raw to a sept raw how did that go down my man?

Dthomp

Was it worth it dummy? They still boo'd you in your hometown. If you were a good wrestler like Danielson, Omega, MANY of the other talent in AEW, you wouldn't need stunts, or blade jobs in EVERY one of your matches to get any kind of reaction at all. Biggest waste of money in their company, outside of the 50 "Friends of Cody" that are also employed there as jobbers for him.

dave_d

Was it worth it dummy? They still boo'd you in your hometown. If you were a good wrestler like Danielson, Omega, MANY of the other talent in AEW, you wouldn't need stunts, or blade jobs in EVERY one of your matches to get any kind of reaction at all. Biggest waste of money in their company, outside of the 50 "Friends of Cody" that are also employed there as jobbers for him.
Plus the fact it actually looked stupid since Andrade almost completely missed the table and Cody took most of it. Well that and the fact they had that obvious fire resistant gel on his back that even the commentators mentioned. (It might have helped if he didn't wrestle so long that it wore off.)

Dthomp

Could this be the last day for Johnny wrestling at wwe and could he show up at aew this week?

I'm curious to this as well, I hope he goes because we all know he has zero future on the main roster. His wife has like half a year on her deal (Plus whatever amount of time they add for her being preggos), so does he sign a short term deal to stay there with her? Show up on Dynamite, beat that Jobber Sammy for the TNT title and lets fucking GO!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
TThat’s the down side to Jeff Hardy the everyone knows his demons, I like all his moves, Swanton Bomb, Whisper in the wind, Twist of fate.
randy orton pain GIF by WWE

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
In the way back of my mind I'm wondering if Jeff Hardy is pulling his version of a James Harden / Ben Simmons anything for a trade release schtick.
I wouldn't be surprised. Having the Hardys, Bucks, FTR and potentially the Briscoes all in the same promotion would be great. Throw the Wolves in there(doubtful) and you've got basically the best tag teams in the last 20 years all in the same promotion at the same time.

Hinedorf

Banned
Jeff Hardy high as a mother fucker again? At least this time it wasn't on a ppv.
Why does this piece of shit loser with zero mic skills continue to waste air time. 1 He's old and skills far diminished 2. His best act was in a tag team 3. He's a junkie piece of shit

The fact this happened so long ago and WWE is releasing young, healthy, workable talent while still employing this piece of shit is exactly why the WWE is what it is.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Why does this piece of shit loser with zero mic skills continue to waste air time. 1 He's old and skills far diminished 2. His best act was in a tag team 3. He's a junkie piece of shit

The fact this happened so long ago and WWE is releasing young, healthy, workable talent while still employing this piece of shit is exactly the WWE is what it is.

I've always thought Matt Hardy was better. Jeff did the bigger moves obviously but at least Matt seems to have some personality. The whole broken gimmick he did in his last run in TNA was brilliant. Meanwhile, Jeff jumps off high things and has a stupid willow redneck goth alter ego. Let's not forget about his shitty music lol.

dave_d

I've always thought Matt Hardy was better. Jeff did the bigger moves obviously but at least Matt seems to have some personality. The whole broken gimmick he did in his last run in TNA was brilliant. Meanwhile, Jeff jumps off high things and has a stupid willow redneck goth alter ego. Let's not forget about his shitty music lol.
I agree with you on that. Actually to be blunt I've always referred to him as "NASCAR Jeff Hardy". That's because one of the big reasons to watch him is the same as to watch NASCAR, to see a horrific crash.

Dthomp

Wow, Jim sounds like us when it comes to that spot

One of the few times I mostly agree with everything in one of his videos.

I will say, he does it to be insulting, but having his fake names for talent busting their asses is beyond disrespectful. What has Andrade done to piss off old man Jim? The other guy sounds alot more intelligent about the things he was talking about...outside of shitting on Andrade. The greatest star of all time isn't going to be hella over the way he's been used in AEW thus far. He's a great wrestling talent.

Cody just needs to fuck off already. They hit the nail on the head with every critique of him here.

dave_d

I will say, he does it to be insulting, but having his fake names for talent busting their asses is beyond disrespectful. What has Andrade done to piss off old man Jim? The other guy sounds alot more intelligent about the things he was talking about...outside of shitting on Andrade. The greatest star of all time isn't going to be hella over the way he's been used in AEW thus far. He's a great wrestling talent.

Cody just needs to fuck off already. They hit the nail on the head with every critique of him here.
I think with Andrade it's mostly because he's so bad at promos and Jim is huge on that. (If they'd at least give him somebody that could talk for him Jim would probably be ok with it. I mean he likes Alex Abrahantes.) Of course he does go off on rants and he definitely hates it when things are silly and done for no good reason. Of course he certainly has his blind spots. You know, like thinking all the Japanese women wrestlers are school girls (Brian called him out on that.) or thinking Bianca Belair is 5 ft tall and 100lbs. (That's one he absolutely won't let go of.)

Hinedorf

Banned

Have to agree with Corny 100% on this one. I watched the Cody/Table spot several times and couldn't understand how Andrade avoids the bump entirely and lays there dead in the ring.

Everything with Cody seems built for the reality show, Cody killing careers with every performance

Last edited:

Dthomp

I think with Andrade it's mostly because he's so bad at promos and Jim is huge on that. (If they'd at least give him somebody that could talk for him Jim would probably be ok with it. I mean he likes Alex Abrahantes.) Of course he does go off on rants and he definitely hates it when things are silly and done for no good reason. Of course he certainly has his blind spots. You know, like thinking all the Japanese women wrestlers are school girls (Brian called him out on that.) or thinking Bianca Belair is 5 ft tall and 100lbs. (That's one he absolutely won't let go of.)
I’ve said it before, I think the dark side of the ring thing really screwed plans for Andrade. I think they wanted to bring Ric in to be his talker but couldn’t after the aftermath. Issue is they had him ditch Chavo right before the match with Flair in Mexico and all the crap went downhill from there. A mouthpiece that isn’t Jose the intern would be great, just find a female that can cut a promo and recreate the Zelina/Andrade pairing

Naked Lunch

Everything with Cody seems built for the reality show, Cody killing careers with every performance
This just makes zero sense to me - Im not even a big Cody fan - I just know what I saw all these years.

It started at the beginning of AEW with Cody losing to Jerico and the stipulation was he would never go for the AEW championship ever - so he'll never be in the main event in AEW. Thats a pretty big deal and sets the stage his entire tenure will be to boost other talent. He has to win some matches for this to work.

Then Cody discovered and put over Ricky Starks, put over Brodie Lee when he arrived and lost the TNT belt (he didnt just put over Brodie - Cody got humiliated and destroyed by design), put over Darby for him to become TNT champ. Hell, Cody even got crushed by Shaq and Jade to put her over.

Then Cody allowed Malakai Black to destroy him in 2 seconds and pin with a foot on his chest. If you watched any of the behind the scenes stuff of that, Black couldnt believe Cody let him win a match that clean and that convincing - Black sounded like a nervous little kid backstage so excited to win like that. Black thanked Cody and Arn like a hundred times.

I understand that hes hollywood and people hate him for it but some things just dont add up to me. Hes done tons for the benefit of other talent in AEW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom