• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Kagey K

Banned
Was he high or was he like fuck it I've done enough.

I'm thinking he's trying to get fired, but AEW can't keep picking up everyone, they just don't have time for it.
They are going to find themselves under booked and overpaid similar to WCW if they don't stop soon.

Seems all the smaller companies fall into the same trap.

Bullet Club

GJo9eAk.jpg

dave_d

This just makes zero sense to me - Im not even a big Cody fan - I just know what I saw all these years.

It started at the beginning of AEW with Cody losing to Jerico and the stipulation was he would never go for the AEW championship ever - so he'll never be in the main event in AEW. Thats a pretty big deal and sets the stage his entire tenure will be to boost other talent. He has to win some matches for this to work.

Then Cody discovered and put over Ricky Starks, put over Brodie Lee when he arrived and lost the TNT belt (he didnt just put over Brodie - Cody got humiliated and destroyed by design), put over Darby for him to become TNT champ. Hell, Cody even got crushed by Shaq and Jade to put her over.

Then Cody allowed Malakai Black to destroy him in 2 seconds and pin with a foot on his chest. If you watched any of the behind the scenes stuff of that, Black couldnt believe Cody let him win a match that clean and that convincing - Black sounded like a nervous little kid backstage so excited to win like that. Black thanked Cody and Arn like a hundred times.

I understand that hes hollywood and people hate him for it but some things just dont add up to me. Hes done tons for the benefit of other talent in AEW.

I don't know, I kind of get the feeling that AEW fans were always looking for their version of Triple-H or Double-J to hate and they were going to hate that guy once they "found" him even if he deserved it or not. It just happens Cody is the guy in their minds. (Although some of the stuff he does like the anti-racism stuff was kind of tone deaf.)

Hinedorf

Banned
This just makes zero sense to me - Im not even a big Cody fan - I just know what I saw all these years.

It started at the beginning of AEW with Cody losing to Jerico and the stipulation was he would never go for the AEW championship ever - so he'll never be in the main event in AEW. Thats a pretty big deal and sets the stage his entire tenure will be to boost other talent. He has to win some matches for this to work.

Then Cody discovered and put over Ricky Starks, put over Brodie Lee when he arrived and lost the TNT belt (he didnt just put over Brodie - Cody got humiliated and destroyed by design), put over Darby for him to become TNT champ. Hell, Cody even got crushed by Shaq and Jade to put her over.

Then Cody allowed Malakai Black to destroy him in 2 seconds and pin with a foot on his chest. If you watched any of the behind the scenes stuff of that, Black couldnt believe Cody let him win a match that clean and that convincing - Black sounded like a nervous little kid backstage so excited to win like that. Black thanked Cody and Arn like a hundred times.

I understand that hes hollywood and people hate him for it but some things just dont add up to me. Hes done tons for the benefit of other talent in AEW.
I actually like Cody and wish his stories felt like they had some weight but they don't. Losing to Jericho was more about setting up MJF.
Is Ricky Starks really over because of Cody or because he's got great charisma?
Cody didn't put over Darby, Darby was a far more popular star deserving of the push.
Shaq stuff was about Jade promotion.
Brodie winning was to push a big stable storyline at the time less about beating Cody and more about beating anybody in that fashion.
Does Malakai Black look impressive beating up Cody? Does nothing for me but waste Black's time in AEW, just my opinion.

I like Cody, I like his reality show from what I've seen. His wrestling act/gimmick/character is bullshit right now and the fact he's addressing the crowd about going heel tells you there's A LOT of Cody fans who feel the same way.

Dthomp

I still think he goes back, he can likely get a cushy trainers role and be a part time on air talent in NXT and have so much more time to spend with his wife and new baby not traveling like he would have to in any other company or the main roster. Would I love him in AEW? Absolutely, do I expect it...not really.

dave_d

You know you watch too much wrestling when you recognize the 2 nurses with Sami Zayn. (They're Hollywood wrestling's Ritchie Slade and Flex McCallion.)

dave_d

Hook surprised me - debut was pretty much perfect. Very clean moves and Feugo did some great work to make him look good.
Like the Action Bronson intro music. AEW has another inhouse star.
He definitely looked smoother in the ring than quite a few people that have been doing this for awhile. (You know, like Big Swole.) He's definitely got potential.

Hinedorf

Banned
I thought the hook debut was fun. I wonder how long he will have hair.
Felt forced which is exactly like every Rey and son segment. We can argue this a million times but there's more to wrestling than in-ring. Taz is the perfect example of that, if he was just about suplexes he'd be limited but he can work the mic like a maniac. There's millions of dudes who can wrestle, can Hook work a mic and have a personality outside of being one of his daddy's thugs? Remains to be seen

NickFire

I've got nothing against KO, and I like his mic skills. But IMO, his decision to stay in WWE is not a loss for AEW. AEW does not need every single guy who WWE didn't use perfectly well competently like their biggest fans would have preferred. I'm not agreeing with anyone that calls them WWE lite (or whatever), but if they pick up everyone who isn't Roman or Brock they could end up with a really stale product.

NickFire

AEW put on a great show last night. I'm still a little torn about the second 60 minute draw in such a short period of time though. Hell of a performance, but one thing I hate about WWE is how predictable the finishes often are. AEW needs to avoid that.

Hinedorf

Banned
I've got nothing against KO, and I like his mic skills. But IMO, his decision to stay in WWE is not a loss for AEW. AEW does not need every single guy who WWE didn't use perfectly well competently like their biggest fans would have preferred. I'm not agreeing with anyone that calls them WWE lite (or whatever), but if they pick up everyone who isn't Roman or Brock they could end up with a really stale product.
IMO Kevin Owens looks more like a fat dude who should be in the stands watching wrestling as a smark than in the ring wrestling. For how big Vince is on image I don't understand how KO continues to get a pass for looking like a slob versus every other star in the WWE being fit. If you have charisma like Bray you can get away with it, KO does not.

Never once tuned in to the WWE to see what Kevin Owens was doing, never will

I'm not sure which is more pathetic Rey and his son or Taz and his. Nothing puts you over like a superstar being hyped by your dad.
Dominik Mysterio is straight up trash. There is just nothing they can do to make him a total package of a wrestler. His acting sucks, he is just okay in the ring, I guess, I just can't take him seriously whatsoever. He is trying way too hard, with everything. Every match he wins is just unbelievable. At least Hook has a better look to him and can be seen as an actual wrestler, not some kid with twig arms trying to do his dad's high flying moves and looking like a flopping tit.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Dominik Mysterio is straight up trash. There is just nothing they can do to make him a total package of a wrestler. His acting sucks, he is just okay in the ring, I guess, I just can't take him seriously whatsoever. He is trying way too hard, with everything. Every match he wins is just unbelievable. At least Hook has a better look to him and can be seen as an actual wrestler, not some kid with twig arms trying to do his dad's high flying moves and looking like a flopping tit.
More or less what I see too, Rey was a phenomenon and his son is just a dude. Hook has potential at least and a clear popularity as the Hook white T-Shirt just outsold CM Punk for the first time in awhile. Aint nobody buying Dominik's shirt

I can legit see Rey Mysterio buying Dominik shirts. Possibly paying people to wear them in the crowd.

His daughter was just as awful in her role. I am glad they at least got rid of her involvement.

dave_d

IMO Kevin Owens looks more like a fat dude who should be in the stands watching wrestling as a smark than in the ring wrestling. For how big Vince is on image I don't understand how KO continues to get a pass for looking like a slob versus every other star in the WWE being fit. If you have charisma like Bray you can get away with it, KO does not.

Never once tuned in to the WWE to see what Kevin Owens was doing, never will
Wow, you sound like me except that's largely my attitude to CM Punk who looks a guy working at the local Hot Topic. Not even MJF is good enough to get me to watch anything with Punk in it.

Top Bottom