• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writer refuse to work with a studio because none of the characters in the story are LGBTQ

PJX

Long story short.The studio I'm working with on a project needed to bring in a writer to help flesh out the story and the lore of the universe they created which centers around 5 main characters. So when the writer came in for an interview and was brief on the story, he asked are there any LGBTQ characters in there. He was told no there isn't and he said well would you mind changing one of the characters to be gay or lesbian. He was told sorry but the characters already have background stories and they didn't want to change it. So the guy gets upset and said sorry but I can't work here if you aren't willing to make the project LGBTQ friendly and said they were being homophobic. Mind you, there are three LGBTQ staff members in the team.

I can understand he doesn't want to work on the story because of his preference but to label them homophobic gets my blood boiling. I had to bite my tongue.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
giphy.gif

PJX

Why is this in gaming discussion tho? Isn't this very off topic unless this is an addition to pile on the stupid gaming journalists not covering Hogwarts, but in that case it is all about gaming at least... this isn't Reddit you know
Ok rent a mod. The studio is a game development studio working on a game. Do you need more clarification?

Last edited:
Ok rent a mod. The studio is a game development studio working on a game. Do yo uneed more clarification?
yeah what game, dev studio? When you say writer, studio, project etc it can be construed as anything general, it can be table top game or even a studio releasing a compendium book.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I have been out the business for almost two decades, but is this how it's done now? Admittedly there was not a huge requirement for writing on the older arcade racers (but we did have one) but something about this just feels off to me.

Did they not receive a draft or overview before getting this far? If their the only option that seems like things have already been settled or agreed prior to this otherwise you show his ass to the door and pick up the phone for the option two and dial the number "fantastic news, we would like to set up and a meeting to go over the details, looking forward to hearing from you".

So yeah, this just seems like such a random post to me and one I am not inclined to believe, could be the indie sphere though, no idea how that works. I was too young to be in the bedroom generation and too old to see the rise of indies.

Last edited:

laynelane

I have to agree with other takes here. Your company dodged a bullet there. I get the desire for inclusiveness, but immediately labeling staff as homophobic when given a reasonable response implies a person who is not a good fit. I can definitely see why it made you angry - irrational, narrow-minded takes have that effect for me too.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Long story short.The studio I'm working with on a project needed to bring in a writer to help flesh out the story and the lore of the universe they created which centers around 5 main characters. So when the writer came in for an interview and was brief on the story, he asked are there any LGBTQ characters in there. He was told no there isn't and he said well would you mind changing one of the characters to be gay or lesbian. He was told sorry but the characters already have background stories and they didn't want to change it. So the guy gets upset and said sorry but I can't work here if you aren't willing to make the project LGBTQ friendly and said they were being homophobic. Mind you, there are three LGBTQ staff members in the team.

I can understand he doesn't want to work on the story because of his preference but to label them homophobic gets my blood boiling. I had to bite my tongue.
2022: Where everyone is primarily defined by who they are having sex with.

PJX

yeah what game, dev studio? When you say writer, studio, project etc it can be construed as anything general, it can be table top game or even a studio releasing a compendium book.
If you checked my post history, you would have clearly seen that I work for a game development studio. But you were so dead set on getting that mod job, you didn't ever bother checking.

I have been out the business for almost two decades, but is this how it's done now? Admittedly there was not a huge requirement for writing on the older arcade racers (but we did have one) but something about this just feels off to me.

Did they not receive a draft or overview before getting this far? If their the only option that seems like things have already been settled or agreed prior to this otherwise you show his ass to the door and pick up the phone for the option two and dial the number "fantastic news, we would like to set up and a meeting to go over the details, looking forward to hearing from you".

So yeah, this just seems like such a random post to me and one I am not inclined to believe, could be the indie sphere though, no idea how that works. I was too young to be in the bedroom generation and too old to see the rise of indies.

I would post evidence but for legal issues, I can't or else the studio would be liable.

Last edited:
He was told sorry but the characters already have background stories and they didn't want to change it.
Ignoring everything else, this is really a shit reason considering nothing would have to be actually changed.
Why didn't he inquire about minority characters in the game? Obviously he is racist.

Am I doing this right?
I'd assume a character is a minority.

If you checked my post history, you would have clearly seen that I work for a game development studio. But you were so dead set on getting that mod job, you didn't ever bother checking.

I would post evidence but for legal issues, I can't or else the studio would be liable.
Like you said I'm no mod or have any interest to be one, so it is not my job to look for post history or anything; it was a reaction to your over generalized first post... anyway

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah OP, you sure dodge a mentally ill person in your team. Just imagine that type of person in your team, forcing ideologies and everytime is criticized, he accuses somebody of being homophobe. Not to mention that if anything goes wrong because of him, imagine the drama he would made on twitter. I say good ridance, games/movies/books doesn't need this type of crazy people.

Ignoring everything else, this is really a shit reason considering nothing would have to be actually changed.

And who the fuck he was to demand to change already developed characters? Do you ever go to interviews demanding people to change something you don't like?

Last edited:
People should not have to check your post history for your op to make sense. Do a better job. Try adding an edit instead of asking people to check your post history.
Please explain to me why it's a shit reason? If they already have back stories on the characters, who they are and what they do, why is it a shit reason if they don't want to change it?
Are all their back stories based entirely around being a straight person? I'd put money on being able to make one of your characters gay without changing a single thing about their back story.

Sirolf

Another crazy lunatic.. You dodged a bullet here !

Yeah OP, you sure dodge a mentally ill person in your team. Just imagine that type of person in your team, forcing ideologies and everytime is criticized, he accuses somebody of being homophobe. Not to mention that if anything goes wrong because of him, imagine the drama he would made on twitter. I say good ridance, games/movies/books doesn't need this type of crazy people.

And who the fuck he was to demand to change already developed characters? Do you ever go to interviews demanding people to change something you don't like?

Yes

Last edited:

PJX

People should not have to check your post history for your op to make sense. Do a better job. Try adding an edit instead of asking people to check your post history.

Are all their back stories based entirely around being a straight person? I'd put money on being able to make one of your characters gay without changing a single thing about their back story.
I see what you are doing and I'm not going to waste my time on someone the likes of you. Have fun arguing with yourself.

Surely you're not trying to pull off something this disingenuous? You know when there is a gay character in 2022 they must constantly talk about how they are gay and be sassy to straight people.
Holy fuck dumb post. Read a book.
I see what you are doing and I'm not going to waste my time on someone the likes of you. Have fun arguing with yourself.
The likes of me? Who the fuck are you? You are wrong and it's a shit reason. End of story. Sorry it didn't fit your bullshit narrative.
Good to know you're trolling then.
Why cause I'm not a little bitch? Maybe if you were a little more confident in your sexuality you wouldn't mind being assertive. Its very nice outside closets.

Last edited:

IDappa

Don't you know there has to be atleast 52% gay to straight ratio in every single piece of entertainment. Otherwise people may forget that lesbians, homosexuals and whatever else exist. I would stage a walk out in protest if I was you.

IDappa

Why does there have to be a gay person in every piece of media these days?. Do we really need 100 percent coverage of a demographic in media that only makes up sub 10% of the human population. Why can I not watch or play something these days without having to see a clear virtue signalling scene of a man or woman tongue punching the same sex.

Top Bottom