• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writer refuse to work with a studio because none of the characters in the story are LGBTQ

Zeroing

Banned
I think you might be misunderstanding what is meant by gay characters being forced in. People want to see good gay characters, which means they have depth to their personality beyond the simple fact they are gay. Realistically how they present their sexuality would probably be much more subtle unless they are extremely flamboyant, which is a perfectly fine character to do as well but only if its relevant to the story.

It’s not that the existence of gay lesbian trans whatever characters in stories is forced by definition, it’s forced when the writers decide to make their sexuality their primary defining characteristic which is not how people really are.
Oh, I think you are right, I might be misunderstanding things, I dunno anymore, this forum makes me confused.

Nah...that's bullshit. Calling someone homophobic, racist, sexist, etc is insulting to most people.
Exactly!!! How can you call a group of people homphobic and not consider that an insult.

The problem is it has become so damn binary. You don't want a
LGBT character in your game....your homophobic. You don't believe a man should compete in the women's division....your transphobic, etc, etc

There are many reasons that people believe what they believe and being "phobic" nor "ist" may have nothing to do with it, but that's not how it is to the woke crowd. You either think the same way they do or you get their preferred label.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
But that is ok you racist weirdo.

Should Friday have had token white people in it?

And i’ll be the one to say it ; adding a gay character adds nothing of value to a story.

Oh Suzie you like to lick twat? Ok… let’s get back to killing aliens.

All this shit is is tokenism
That doesn’t make any sense.

Topher

Gold Member
It's okay little snowflake, bad writer can't hurt you, they aren't part of your studio, sadly you can't boast about having 4 LGBTQ members now, but you could still make up stuff about people who can't post their side of the story for some gaf cred.

What kind of "cred" is the OP getting here again? I think no more or less about him for posting this. In this day and age, what he is describing isn't unheard of.

But yes, we are not getting both sides of the story, but it is a first-hand account. Just as believable, to me, as the shit Jason Shrieier (I'll never spell his name right) hands out regularly. And would Shrierer include this account in any of his articles? Probably not.

niilokin

you could have told him one of the characters visited the gaf thread about trans women secretly hoping for nsfw pics before it was closed :messenger_winking:

nush

Gold Member
Grade a input there bud
nnsns.gif

bosnianpie

Very common in pop culture these days to include a token gay guy whether they fit in the narrative or not. I'm not sure why that is, but it's not doing the community any favors. Predictable and boring as hell.

MrTentakel

I'm certainly not against LGBTQ being represented in media, but I literally don't know a single LGBTQ person in real life. I don't think it's realistic to have them in every piece of media when they're a very small minority.
I´d decribe my colleague as a smart, funny, nice, supportive guy. Someone I can rely on, who will be there when help is needed. He will marry his husband next Wednesday.
What would it say about me If I`d change the describtion to the white gay guy?

Doom85

(note: don’t take the following rant as aimed at you personally. Don’t think you would, but just in case)

Probably not the best example to use as Disney has recently been exposed by certain Pixar staff as refusing to allow LGBT major characters in any Disney/Pixar animated films. Both the writers at Pixar and the Pixar executives want it to happen but it’s specifically the Disney executives who won’t allow it. Not because they hate LGBT people but don’t want their films banned in certain countries outside of the US.

And just today, it’s come out that Blue Sky Studios (owned by Fox) who were shut down by Disney sometime after the merger were working on an animated adaptation of the webcomic Nimona. The movie was 75% done but when Disney executives saw the movie featured a same-sex kiss and demanded they remove it. Blue Sky initially agreed but hoped to change their minds later but the executives never did and the film, despite being almost done, was cancelled. And this wasn’t the studio going out of their way to include it as it seems this was merely being faithful to the original source material.

So according to Disney executives (or rather other countries who refuse to move into the present), the following is a-okay for kids to witness in Disney/Pixar films:

- the lead characters getting high as fuck (Dumbo)
- the lead characters drinking alcohol that has been drugged (Great Mouse Detective)
- a captured woman trying to seduce the villain as a distraction (Aladdin)
- a sentient being exploding to death, and a scene referencing The Exorcist (Toy Story)
- a silhouette of a hanging body (Tarzan)
- a judge sexually harassing a woman, and then singing about how much he wants her body, and he also starts the movie by almost murdering a baby, and he ultimately falls into Hell itself. Also the clear implication of countless innocent people burning alive (Hunchback of Norte Dame)
- dozens of babies being slaughtered (Finding Nemo)
- a man attempting suicide, and a woman checking out her ass (The Incredibles)
- a woman having a miscarriage (Up)
- all the main characters sadly accepting their incoming death into a fiery inferno (Toy Story 3)
- a college student dying in an explosion (Big Hero 6)
- a joke about sex ads (Wreck it Ralph 2)

All that shit, a-okay for the kids. But people of the same gender kissing? Oh, dear god, we can’t expose their innocent minds to THAT!

Obviously LGBT characters do not need to be in EVERY single story ever. Having said that, some people on Gaf (not necessarily you) like to paint this narrative that LGBT characters would be accepted anywhere because everything is ”woke” now and that is just not reality. There are still people in power who go out of their way to keep them out of their media even when the actual writers are trying to do the opposite. And limiting creative freedom like that:

thats no good sonic the hedgehog GIF

Edit: Sorry, I missed an update on the Pixar situation. It seems after some convincing, Disney executives are now allowing LGBT characters to be featured in future films. Glad they changed their minds. You can’t show animated movies with intense content and mature themes because kids actually CAN handle that (Christ, look at family films like Return to Oz, Studio Laika films like Coraline, etc., fucking nightmare fuel everywhere) and making this the only exclusion was in poor taste.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
(note: don’t take the following rant as aimed at you personally. Don’t think you would, but just in case)

Probably not the best example to use as Disney has recently been exposed by certain Pixar staff as refusing to allow LGBT major characters in any Disney/Pixar animated films. Both the writers at Pixar and the Pixar executives want it to happen but it’s specifically the Disney executives who won’t allow it. Not because they hate LGBT people but don’t want their films banned in certain countries outside of the US.

And just today, it’s come out that Blue Sky Studios (owned by Fox) who were shut down by Disney sometime after the merger were working on an animated adaptation of the webcomic Nimona. The movie was 75% done but when Disney executives saw the movie featured a same-sex kiss and demanded they remove it. Blue Sky initially agreed but hoped to change their minds later but the executives never did and the film, despite being almost done, was cancelled. And this wasn’t the studio going out of their way to include it as it seems this was merely being faithful to the original source material.

So according to Disney executives (or rather other countries who refuse to move into the present), the following is a-okay for kids to witness in Disney/Pixar films:

- the lead characters drinking alcohol that has been drugged (Great Mouse Detective)
- a sentient being exploding to death, and a scene referencing The Exorcist (Toy Story)
- a judge sexually harassing a woman, and then singing about how much he wants her body, and he also starts the movie by almost murdering a baby, and he ultimately falls into Hell itself. Also the clear implication of countless innocent people burning alive (Hunchback of Norte Dame)
- all the main characters sadly accepting their incoming death into a fiery inferno (Toy Story 3)

All that shit, a-okay for the kids. But people of the same gender kissing? Oh, dear god, we can’t expose their innocent minds to THAT!

Obviously LGBT characters do not need to be in EVERY single story ever. Having said that, some people on Gaf (not necessarily you) like to paint this narrative that LGBT characters would be accepted anywhere because everything is ”woke” now and that is just not reality. There are still people in power who go out of their way to keep them out of their media even when the actual writers are trying to do the opposite. And limiting creative freedom like that:

Disney has been having internal "WOKE" battles for a while now. Basically it is money vs sanity vs wokeness ... where sanity would say that most things they have had in their movies is very much ok and a gay kiss would be okay as well if the kiss is in proper context ( there really has not been many KISSES in disney animated movies).
Then you have the WOKE battling for everything needs to be woke and everything that is not should be apologized for in someway.
Then you have the money side who wants everything to be according to demographic group studies to produce the greatest ammount of acceptance and revenue.

Lots of people are hating on Bob Chapek right now because there is no way to play up to both sides of the wokeness war. Even more so when a lot of the movie and park staff are on the woke side and a lot of the fans are not.
He really has a much harder job than Iger did.

Doom85

there really has not been many KISSES in disney animated movies).

I would beg to differ. Tons of Disney films, particularly romance-featuring ones, featured kisses as far as I remember. Little Mermaid even had a major plot about getting it to happen.

Hell, if I’m remembering right, didn’t Jessie immediately kiss Buzz after he awkwardly flirted with her once at the end of Toy Story 2? Though to be fair, she had been forced to have an old man and a horse as her only company for many years…

Anyway, as I said in my edit which I didn’t get out fast enough, my bad, it seems the Disney executives will be more open-minded towards the future. Just a shame the writers and animators at Blue Sky couldn’t have at least finished their final film when so much work had already been done.

Smokken

Banned
What happenend to Judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character.
What kind of person do you need to be to define people by their sexual orientation, their ancestry or color of their skin.
When did writers stop describing their characters as multi dimensional human beings with weaknesses and strengths?
Neo marxism happened, hence the intense need to label people into groups instead of individual qualities. Lovely isn't it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Long story short.The studio I'm working with on a project needed to bring in a writer to help flesh out the story and the lore of the universe they created which centers around 5 main characters. So when the writer came in for an interview and was brief on the story, he asked are there any LGBTQ characters in there. He was told no there isn't and he said well would you mind changing one of the characters to be gay or lesbian. He was told sorry but the characters already have background stories and they didn't want to change it. So the guy gets upset and said sorry but I can't work here if you aren't willing to make the project LGBTQ friendly and said they were being homophobic. Mind you, there are three LGBTQ staff members in the team.

I can understand he doesn't want to work on the story because of his preference but to label them homophobic gets my blood boiling. I had to bite my tongue.

69dzgf.jpg

Raonak

Banned
Sounds fair, he wants to have more input into the story/characters than you guys allow.

The job isn't the right one for him, and the studio's current project isn't the project to allow these last minute changes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sounds fair, he wants to have more input into the story/characters than you guys allow.

The job isn't the right one for him, and the studio's current project isn't the project to allow these last minute changes.

No, he wanted full control and through a hissy fit like a mental invalid. Dude should be blacklisted from the industry for throwing around terms like „homophobic“ lIke they did. That is utterly unacceptable to do for any job interview.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No, he wanted full control and through a hissy fit like a mental invalid. Dude should be blacklisted from the industry for throwing around terms like „homophobic“ lIke they did. That is utterly unacceptable to do for any job interview.
Imagine if a product manager was getting interviewed.

The hiring manager said they got a new line of products ready to go soon in black, white and red. The candidate says it would be great if there's a pink variant too. The interviewer says not happening as materials and packaging are all lined up for only the 3 colours originally designed.

And the job applicant storms out the door because a pink one isn't being made.

Last edited:

Fredrik

According to this article, it's not Hakon Sigurdsson, but a fictional person also named Hakon.

That’s an english webpage trying to explain how they’re shoehorning in a made up ”Jarl Haakon” instead of using the real historical person going under that name.

And it’s dumb. The northern languages are highly gendered, Haakon/Håkon/Hakon/Håkan is a male nordic name, Jarl is title used for men, so even with the female middle name Estrid things are weird, think of the new female character as something like King Elizabeth Arthur.
Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Last edited:

luffie

Edit: Sorry, I missed an update on the Pixar situation. It seems after some convincing, Disney executives are now allowing LGBT characters to be featured in future films. Glad they changed their minds. You can’t show animated movies with intense content and mature themes because kids actually CAN handle that (Christ, look at family films like Return to Oz, Studio Laika films like Coraline, etc., fucking nightmare fuel everywhere) and making this the only exclusion was in poor taste.
This reply is totally "Whataboutism". Absolute nonsense.

SkylineRKR

Not every story has or needs LBGTQ, rather they don't always need relationships or love affairs at all. My personal stories don't have either. I happen to have none of them in my inner circle, as far as I'm aware. It happens.

Is it so hard to just create a game where sexual preference isn't being pushed at all? My current Tarnished character might be gay or bi, whatever. I don't care.

Boss Mog

Saw an article lately about how Americans at least overestimate minority groups and underestimate majority groups: https://today.yougov.com/topics/pol...ricans-misestimate-small-subgroups-population

T3ppZDi.png

It's hard to believe that people think LGBT account for over 1/3 of the population when the true number is only in the single digits. So you do have to wonder how the media/entertainment is influencing that one.
What's funny about this is that we live in supposed "democracies" and a democracy by definition is meant to cater to the majority, but these days it seems more like it's meant to cater to minority groups, some of which represent less than 1% of the population; it doesn't really make sense. WIth LGBT activists and lobby groups (which aren't really representative of a lot of LGBT people) they take the most extreme people and make them seem like they're oppressed and don't have certain rights when in reality, what they want is more rights than cis/hetero people and that their feelings and rights should somehow be more important than the feelings and rights of cis/hetero because they are a minority which goes against the principles of democracy and is more aligned with that of oligarchy.

I used to have a gay coworker who said he hated the LGBT "community". He felt that it actually hurts gay acceptance because "it makes LGBT people seem like freaks" by mostly focusing on those who are fringe like with green and purple hair, who dress like circus clowns, men with beards in dresses, etc... you know, the kind of people who rant on twitter all the time. He was a normal guy who you might not realize was gay unless he told you and he told me there's a lot of gay guys like him but that they aren't really represented in the so called LGBT "community" which like I said only really focuses on those over the top LGBT people.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What's funny about this is that we live in supposed "democracies" and a democracy by definition is meant to cater to the majority, but these days it seems more like it's meant to cater to minority groups, some of which represent less than 1% of the population; it doesn't really make sense. WIth LGBT activists and lobby groups (which aren't really representative of a lot of LGBT people) they take the most extreme people and make them seem like they're oppressed and don't have certain rights when in reality, what they want is more rights than cis/hetero people and that their feelings and rights should somehow be more important than the feelings and rights of cis/hetero because they are a minority which goes against the principles of democracy and is more aligned with that of oligarchy.

I used to have a gay coworker who said he hated the LGBT "community". He felt that it actually hurts gay acceptance because "it makes LGBT people seem like freaks" by mostly focusing on those who are fringe like with green and purple hair, who dress like circus clowns, men with beards in dresses, etc... you know, the kind of people who rant on twitter all the time. He was a normal guy who you might not realize was gay unless he told you and he told me there's a lot of gay guys like him but that they aren't really presented in the so called LGBT "community" which like I said only really focuses on those over the top LGBT people.
Tend to agree but with some caveats. Democracies allow majority rule but with strong protections for the minority. It seems obvious, but maybe not so…

I would beg to differ. Tons of Disney films, particularly romance-featuring ones, featured kisses as far as I remember. Little Mermaid even had a major plot about getting it to happen.

The Little Mermaid is also from the 1980's. Kisses in Disney movies went the way of 2D animation in Disney movies. It's especially apparent in Frozen where they subverted the whole idea of "true love's kiss" for the villain twist. Now ever since then the only kisses in Disney movies are the ones made to be edited out of the Chinese versions.

Top Bottom