• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF Happened in Metal Gear Solid 2?

Deerock71

tv show 90s GIF

ManaByte

I mean Kojima is known for his plots that are basically a giant bowl of spaghetti, but do people really need Youtube videos to explain them the plot of a video game these days? Are people really that lazy to not play through something, especially a modern classic like MGS2?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I mean Kojima is known for his plots that are basically a giant bowl of spaghetti, but do people really need Youtube videos to explain them the plot of a video game these days? Are people really that lazy to not play through something, especially a modern classic like MGS2?
Maybe they just played through it but still need some explanation.

I do that with every souls game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think this game is so perfect in many aspects..

I considered sons of liberty is a way better than snake eater.

Raiden as main character is controversial but I think this is a good join to put a rookie guy and see the circunstances about the plot in The big Shell.

I mean, don't watch them if you do not want, but yes there are in fact people that enjoy this sort of content. There are things I do not like either, but I don't go knocking peoples heads for enjoying and sharing things I do not care about. It has nothing to do with laziness.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I fucking adore this game. Really meta narrative and really on the nose interpretation of the near future. One of my favorite examples of "games with something to say," and usage of themes in interactive mediums. Kojima's fuckery was brilliant in this game, and it conveyed tension and mindfucks that were really most effective in this medium. It's great. Most games don't pull out these tricks. Most.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

You don't understand. You get into a trance while playing and you are unable to read, you just want the ACTIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Digity

If it's just surface level stuff than ya a playthrough is all you need. There is a lot to dive deep into though which most people aren't going to pick up on, especially their first playthrough.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Why the hell would I try to comprehend MGS2 or any Kojima game we know Kojima games expect to confuse gamers to a degree. MGS2, is available on nearly every console.

Soodanim

I don't mind another take on these games. I assume it's a fresh take, because anyone making something like this already knows about all the other documentary length videos on MGS2.

I don't mind another take on these games. I assume it's a fresh take, because anyone making something like this already knows about all the other documentary length videos on MGS2.
I doubt it, these things always seem to focus on the story and in game lore, and if you are focusing on that you are missing everything interesting about a Kojima game, particularly when talking about MGS 2-4.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have to replay those games again, including 4 which I've never played.

Maybe this time around I get to understand what the fuck was that ending about.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Must have played this game 10 times as an 11 year old. Kojima still making groundbreaking games to this day. The guys ahead of his time in a lot of aspects. Yeah it’s unbelievably hard to follow at times but at least it’s not generic boring shite.

Thabass

I think this game is so perfect in many aspects..

I considered sons of liberty is a way better than snake eater.

Raiden as main character is controversial but I think this is a good join to put a rookie guy and see the circunstances about the plot in The big Shell.
I think, culturally, Sons of Liberty is one of the most important games in the series as it does a great job plotting out a subtle timeline of our future with the internet and such. But when it comes to amazing story-telling and drama, MGS3 is a hands down winner, especially it's ending.

mcjmetroid

I remember when metal gear gear solid 2 came out people pretended and that it was " simple" to understand and couldn't understand why people found it confusing and nonsensical.

I see people are still pretending that mess is coherent.

Keep fighting that good fight guys!

Metal gear solid 3 had the best story, followed by 1, followed by 2 and 4. Both tied and I don't remember 5.

Last edited:
Must have played this game 10 times as an 11 year old. Kojima still making groundbreaking games to this day. The guys ahead of his time in a lot of aspects. Yeah it’s unbelievably hard to follow at times but at least it’s not generic boring shite.
Kojima really is a treasure. Death Stranding is totally unique and proves he still has it. Kojima is in that tier of legendary developers afai concerned, like Myamoto, Or Balrog ...(Balrogs the goat, right? Lol)

Who directed the gta and red dead games? Houser? Hideki Kimiya probably deserves to be on some list. Bruce Straley/Druckman - did those guys direct UC4 and Last of Us? If so, politics aside, they're top tier too.

mcjmetroid

Maybe people are trying to make sense of whatever the plot of that game was supposed to be.

I mean did you really understand everything that was going on in that game.. like really especially when you first played it?

I think metal hear solid 2 did a very bad job of explaining what it was trying to say.

It was the game that showed us that Liquid was part of ocelots arm and other crazy distractions. It threw everything at the wall so much so that people seem to think it predicted the future or something.

Laziness is not the issue with this game, it's just an effort to try and figure it out and I'm not buying that anyone did without videos like this in the first place.

SkylineRKR

Its too bad 4 explained everything. Its not good. The plot of 2 and the lack of explanations was excellent. Did anyone like the true identity of the Patriots?

It was awesome when Ocelot made his play, well until the arm but anyway it was great to see the game following up on the post credits dialogue of 1. Seeing Gurlukovic made his move, Ocelot made his and Sears behind the scenes. After the tanker you could say it went to shit. But its actually glorious. The real shit happens after MGS2. 3 was great ofcourse, but didn't really need to be introduction to the patriots.

Last edited:
I have to replay those games again, including 4 which I've never played.

Maybe this time around I get to understand what the fuck was that ending about.
4 is an absolute masterpiece!Everything about that game is perfect.The content, jokes, cinematics, gameplay, sound, music.The online was the best.I never laughed so much like in the online game.Pure fun online.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
4 is an absolute masterpiece!Everything about that game is perfect.The content, jokes, cinematics, gameplay, sound, music.The online was the best.I never laughed so much like in the online game.Pure fun online.

Yes perfection...

Unless you are a 200IQ super genius like Kojima you won't get the meta joke of this scene. Johnny is the ingame personification of the average MGS fans, where Kojima points out that the fanbase likes nothing more than covering themselves in an enclosed space to huff their own farts.

Truly genius.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

From what I remember the story went off the deep end towards the end. Made absolutely no sense but whatever. Death Stranding was making decent sense halfway through. Then things got weird.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I mean, the action cutscenes are fun to watch, but the power point cutscenes and codec call cutscenes drag on for too loooooooong.
Also, MGS4 cutscenes were the most boring of the series.

I'm ok with codec calls initiated by the player though.

A some nuance 😘

Top Bottom