• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Wrestlemania 22 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2 Cool

So my brother called me a little earlier tonight to pick him up. He was sitting by the tennis courts in this suburban area. So I came over and got him.

But apparently while he was sitting there waiting, he told me this guy walked out of his house and seen him there across the street. Then he looks to his open windows and the big tv in it. He gives me brother a smug face and says "Watching wrestling, huh!??" to which my brother seen the tv and thought the guy was making a friendly joke. So he laughs and says "yeah".

The guy then gives him an even angrier look, huffs, walks back inside, and closes the curtains! :lol My brother had absolutely no clue it was wrestlemania, which came as a revelation on the way back, and here's this paranoid fuck thinking everybody else is getting by free, while he's paying $40 right out his back pocket. What a psycho. :lol :lol

DMczaf

evil ways said:
I was hoping WWE would salvage this disaster by having Cena take the mic, and do a massive heel turn on the crowd, but I guess there's still merchandise to be sold, crappy matches to be had, and odds to be overcomed.

It also bugs me that merchandise is causing all these wins!

I remember Vince saying that "listening to the fans helped then beat WCW"...

...Well please start doing it again!

Keyser Soze said:
Fuck this shit…

really just fuck it

complete bullcrap

No shit. It's obvious Vince DOES NOT LISTEN to crowd responses AT ALL.
It should be a telling sign about how weak your CHAMPION is when the glory hog HHH is getting CHEERED. I think if it were the Brooklyn Brawler in there against Cena, even HE would be cheered. If I'm not mistaken I thought I heard a "Fuck you Cena" chant.

While I'm glad Rey won, what do you do with him now? You had him tap out CLEANLY on Smackdown to Angle so you've made him look weak in a 1 on 1 situation. Short term champ? You bethca!

As far as the rest of the show:
Tag title SQUASH. Really, what was the point?

Money in the bank: It showed just how green Lashley is and how out of place Finlay and Flair really were, despite th ehuige bump Flair took. Yay for RVD though.

Womens match: Other than the finish being screwed up, great match and the BEST BOOKED feud going into Mania

Edge Foley: GREAT FINISH. This match was a lot better than it had any rights being. Even out of shape, Foley proved why he's a legend.

Did not like Finkles CEHAP SHOT at Bret. He was a man of his word about not showing up.

Boogeyman/Booker: What was the fucking point? So a worthless pile of crap like Boogeyman makes the WM card, but not the uber-talented MNM?

WHAT THE HELL was up with HHH and Cena entrances? That would have been better suited for when they were in Hollywood last year, not Chicago.

Henry/Taker: Yawn...collect your paychecks at the door guys. Henry, don't come back.

xabre

Banned
Penguin said:
I honestly don't some of the hate for Cena.

Cena is just the IWC's scapegoat for shitty 'superman' booking.

Plus his gimmick is stale and boring and he isn't the most technically proficient wrestler.

dskillzhtown said:
The bigger reason is that Cena is pulling in more money for the company than any HHH title run has. Sorry guys, but a champ is there to make money for the company, Cena is doing that so he needs to remain champ. I say change up his booking to make him a bit more interesting again, but if he is pulling in the money, why make a change? But seriously, in wrestling 101, there is no reason to make a change with Cena. Anyone out there who doesn't get that, doesn't understand wrestling at all. A heel turn probably is in order for Cena and if WWE history is anything to go on, tomorrow night will be the night to do it.

I for one hope he stays champ until the ECW PPV. The heat on him there will be incredible. I would hate for RVD to be champ though as he sucks more than Cena in the ring. Cena's style is just horrid and there is no way he will bring in the money Cena is. I say have HHH cost RVD the title at One Night Stand and start that fued.

As far as HHH's entrance, that shit is real?

As bad as HHH's entrance was, Cena's was far worse imo...

dskillzhtown said:
The bigger reason is that Cena is pulling in more money for the company than any HHH title run has. Sorry guys, but a champ is there to make money for the company, Cena is doing that so he needs to remain champ. I say change up his booking to make him a bit more interesting again, but if he is pulling in the money, why make a change? But seriously, in wrestling 101, there is no reason to make a change with Cena. Anyone out there who doesn't get that, doesn't understand wrestling at all. A heel turn probably is in order for Cena and if WWE history is anything to go on, tomorrow night will be the night to do it.

I for one hope he stays champ until the ECW PPV. The heat on him there will be incredible. I would hate for RVD to be champ though as he sucks more than Cena in the ring. Cena's style is just horrid and there is no way he will bring in the money Cena is. I say have HHH cost RVD the title at One Night Stand and start that fued.

As far as HHH's entrance, that shit is real?

Quite simply, he doesnt NEED to be champion to bring in sales.
Austin did it without the belt
Rock did it without the belt

Face should be CHASING the title...not dominating it. You want to regain interest in Cena? Drop the title...or did they miss that 3 week period when Edge was on top and the ratings were spiked? Face Cena chasing the heel Edge. But now, Vince was deadset on HHHvs CEna and didn't see the moeny that was right there in front of him.

RVD worse thna Cena?
HUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

RVD is restrained and barely gets TV time. The man can GO. Just watch his old ECW stuff when he was allowed to go full speed against guys like Jerry Lynn.

RVD's problem is the speed, few guys can keep up with him.

koam

I haven't followed wrstling in a long time but the way you guys are reacting to Cena is the way I was with HHH when he refused to job to anyone for the longest time. In fact, the reason I stopped was cause I got sick of seeing HHH and his 30 minute speaches all the time.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
xabre said:
Cena is just the IWC's scapegoat for shitty 'superman' booking.

Plus his gimmick is stale and boring and he isn't the most technically proficient wrestler.

The Five Moves of Doom, in order of application:

Flying shoulder block
Sitout hip toss or multiple clotheslines
Killswitch / Protobomb
Five Knuckle Shuffle
F-U or STFU

I forgot about Shelton's "spiderman" leap and sticking to the ladder, that was great! Infact Shelton is GOD! Stick him Carlito together and you got a good fued IMO...

....Cena still won though which turns everything to shit.

DMczaf

koam said:
I haven't followed wrstling in a long time but the way you guys are reacting to Cena is the way I was with HHH when he refused to job to anyone for the longest time. In fact, the reason I stopped was cause I got sick of seeing HHH and his 30 minute speaches all the time.

Replace "HHH and his 30 minute speeches" with "Cena and his music ending every show" and you've got the idea. Oh yeah, and add in the "Over coming the odds" bullshit.

Even Cena looks like he's sick of his own shit.

Keyser Soze said:
I forgot about Shelton's "spiderman" leap and sticking to the ladder, that was great! Infact Shelton is GOD! Stick him Carlito together and you got a good fued IMO...

....Cena still won though which turns everything to shit.

Too bad Shelton is a mushmouth when a mic is placed in front of him though. He's a HELL of a talent, and its a shame his lack of speaking ability will keep him down.

RANDOM THOUGHT:
Seeing CM Punk as a valet for Cena is probably the closest that Punk will ever egt to main event of Wresltemania.

Ponn

Banned
My favorite two spots:

1) Shelton fucking Spiderman jumping out of fucking nowhere onto the top of the ladder and commencing to pummel the shit out of somebody and then jump over the next ladder and start beating the shit of that person.

2) Shawn Micheals climbing to the top of the ladder then saying "no, I need a big ladder" and climbing back down to get a bigger one. That was pretty sweet. And the face Shane was making at the time like "WTF"

There was a surprising amount of mess ups for Wrestlemania and I feel bad for the people that made them, especially Mickie and Rey. I never in a million years thought they would give Rey the belt, but i'm really starting to hate WWE and Rey for it because I don't feel they are doing it because of Rey but to get cheap pops at Eddies expense. I'm really sick of them milking this and you know the Hart family would have never let them get away with this with Owen. Rey is a great wrestler and nothing against him but he is not Heavyweight champion material, Benoit proved it and even with the bit more charisma Rey has all of his matches would look a bit off with the other heavyweights.

Cena match sucked, that was such bullshit to have so much hate for the face over the last months and they still let him win. And the Triple H entrance was awesome. Last I heard he was supposed to be in talks to star in the King Conan movie so I wonder if that had something to do with it.

CENA RETAINS!!!

*POP*

woulda replied earlier but all my friends and i were celebrating rey and cena's victories by drinking and playing loud dancehall music...

BADMAN FORWARD, BADMAN PULL UP, BADMAN FORWARD, BADMAN PULL UP!!!

yeah, that PPV was great, probably because our expectations were really low...

i said "cena's gonna win" when i saw the SD match was first, only one friend disagreed...

though i still wasn't sure if rey would win...

and all this talk about rey being a weak champ... or not believable... it just depends on how it's booked from here on out... then again, this IS the WWE so they'll probably blow it or just take the belt off him quickly... anyway, who can deny what rey has done (especially early on) for the industry, and who are you all to say he shouldn't be champ because he's small??? the same people who complain about hosses like snitsky i bet...

The Faceless Master said:
and all this talk about rey being a weak champ... or not believable... it just depends on how it's booked from here on out... then again, this IS the WWE so they'll probably blow it or just take the belt off him quickly... anyway, who can deny what rey has done (especially early on) for the industry, and who are you all to say he shouldn't be champ because he's small??? the same people who complain about hosses like snitsky i bet...

Theyve already fucked up with Rey. They made him tap easily to Kurt on the show before Wrestlemania. Therefor making him look very weak in a 1 on 1 setting.

Matlock

Banned
Transcript of John Cena's intro:

"The Great Depression: one of the worst times in American History! Prosperity came to a screeching halt! Factories closed! People lost their jobs! And millions lost everything they owned! Politicans on the take, and the very rich were the only ones living the American Dream Dusty Rhodes. To the rest, it was...A NIGHTMARE. In Chicago, one group decided it was time for things to change! A group that came from nothing; men that were willing to take chances, and who had nothing to lose. These gangsters decided that if no one would help them, they would scratch, claw, and succeed by any means necessary! They didn't care what it took, living fast and working hard. If you love them or you hated them, it didn't matter. They sacrificed everything. To survive, you needed three things: *cuts off into a disco peter gunn theme* The Great Depression eventually ended, making way for World War 2 and the horrors of the Holocast, but that's nothing compared to what you'll see tonight!

RAPIIIIDOOOOO"

DMczaf

I think HBK did a shout out to us on the Post Game Show

"First of all I'd like to say hello to all the computer guys out there, Im actually pretty popular with the computer people!"

:lol

wow, what an awesome event..

i have never been to any show outside of a house show.. the effects/pyro/music, etc was all amazing.. allstate arena is pretty average/smaller sized and it seems all seats were good.

the ladder in the bank match was awesome.. the crowd was going nuts.. the entire crowd felt bad when it looked like ric flair actually got hurt though, bummer, was it fake or real??

the crowd was absolutely nuts and amped for the cena/HHH match all night.. i'd say 50/50 with the anti-cena crowd just being louder.. lots of "fuck you cena" and other stuff all ngiht, but he got lots of good chants/cheers too.. i personally dont mark out for either of them, but the atmosphere was so charged and electric it really made the match alot of fun.

the hbk/vince match was amazing... he was so fucking high.. and the crowd went absolutely frigging crazy..

the chicago fans have been amazing all week in terms of turn-out for events, and energy at events... i dont know if it came across on TV that way, but gosh damn was the crowd loud and really into this shit.. but its wrestlemania, so of course all the biggest wrestling fans are going to be into it..

the few people i did meet were from canada and arkansas, in the 20-30 age range and here for the HOF and WM22.. good people, but they all were fans of cena which I found out.

Keyser Soze said:
Did you miss the 40 Shelton/Carlito matches that took place on TV last year?

DMczaf said:
clip39zk2el.gif

clip115gw2de.gif

HBK! HBK! HBK!

oh god, foley looks messed up in that small clip.. i wonder if he'll feel that he finally has his big time wrestlemania moment..

hbk is amazing.. him and vince really stole the show.

Battlezone said:
Dear Chicago:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Owned.

I just love the collective WTF faces of 10,000 guys in Chicago who realized all at the same time that they're now going to have to shell out 34.95 to see Cena lose at Backlash. The ironic thing is, by booing Cena at the HOF, Vince probably changed the main event to bang a bigger buyrate for Backlash. Based on the Backlash promo (Cena: I'm coming back to take what's MINE!), that almost certainly seems to be the case.

I'm sure people will bitch about this Wrestlemania based on the main event, but I enjoyed all of it, with the exception of Taker/Henry. And until the screwup at the end, the Trish/Mickie match was easily the highlight of the show.

it held 16K people in that arena, and I'd say it was 50/50 for and against.. you couldnt tell what the crowd was for half the time as as soon as someone started a name chant "TRIPLE H!!! TRIPLE H!!!" the other group would start chanting "sucks" right after it.. i'm surprised there wasnt a wrestling civil war..

not sure the people at wrestlemania paid $100-750 to see cena lose in a storyline, and then would be worried about shelling out $35 for a PPV, but, i'll let your flawed logic slide.

as far as "owned".. i dont think anyone is complaining about attending.. wrestlemania 22 was awesome, and the crowd in attendance sure seemed to think so.. even not attending, I think if I woulda spent $50 for the PPV i would have been wow'd.. the MITB, Edge/Foley/ Vince/HBK simply stunned me, each of them..

anyone find out if flair was hurt or not for real?

The Vinny Mac and HBK match was hilarious. The rest of Wrestlemania was pretty boring. Was happy to see RVD win, and to see Foley get his ass damaged again. I guess the Angle/Rey/Orton match was okay. The main event made me freaking fall asleep. HHH and Cena suck ass.

Oh, I almost forgot the best part of Wrestlemania. The Snickers ladies that won the contest. We almost died laughing when they were on.

Cerebral Palsy said:
The Vinny Mac and HBK match was hilarious. The rest of Wrestlemania was pretty boring. Was happy to see RVD win, and to see Foley get his ass damaged again. I guess the Angle/Rey/Orton match was okay. The main event made me freaking fall asleep. HHH and Cena suck ass.

you are unpleasable.. please watch dawons' creek re-runs.

Bloodwake

Again, to restate the general feeling of the evening.

FUCK YOU JOHN CENA. FUCK YOU UP THE ASS.

outside of that, can't wait to see the rest of the PPV!

EnvoyDenali said:
you are unpleasable.. please watch dawons' creek re-runs.

Unpleasable? If that means can't standing trash like Big Show/Kane vs. Carlito/Masters, Benoit vs. JBL, Boogey Man vs. Booker T, Undertaker vs. Henry, HHH vs. Cena... I guess I am unpleasable. The womens matches would be totally forgetable if they weren't boner inducing. The Vinny Mac match was the best for the hilarity that ensued. The ladder match, Foley match, and Angle 3 way were all okay. Rest of the ppv was a yawn fest.

Raw64life

John Cena vs. Triple H. - average, with horrible finish
Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Randy Orton. - awesome, but way too short
Big Show & Kane vs. Carlito & Chris Masters. - average
Chris Benoit vs. JBL. - average, with horrible finish assuming Benoit doesn't get back into the world title picture where he belongs
Trish Stratus vs. Mickie James. - better than expected, but not great thanks in part to the horribly botched finish
Ric Flair vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Fit Finlay vs. Matt Hardy vs. Bobby Lashley. - good
Edge vs. Mick Foley. - awesome
The Undertaker vs. Mark Henry. - one notch above a complete dud thanks to UT working his ass off against his worst WM opponent since WMIX
Torrie Wilson vs. Candice Michelle. - not really a match
Booker T & Sharmell vs. The Boogeyman. - garbage
Vince McMahon vs. Shawn Michaels. - great for what it was

Overall a solid WM. Good, but not great.

Cerebral Palsy said:
Unpleasable? If that means can't standing trash like Big Show/Kane vs. Carlito/Masters, Benoit vs. JBL, Boogey Man vs. Booker T, Undertaker vs. Henry, HHH vs. Cena... I guess I am unpleasable. The womens matches would be totally forgetable if they weren't boner inducing. The Vinny Mac match was the best for the hilarity that ensued. The ladder match, Foley match, and Angle 3 way were all okay. Rest of the ppv was a yawn fest.

what you are describing here is someone who isnt a WWE fan, so why would you watch or comment on it and take so muhc time to talk about it? i am not an daewoo fan, so i dont generally enter daewoo discussions and harp on how much i dont like their cars. as you can see, people who enjoy WWE product really thought this ppv was amazing... benoit/jbl was awesome i thought, and the tag mathc was great too.. hhh vs cena was boring? i could see not being pleased with cena winning, but boring??? that match had more emotion and energy in it and from the crowd than any match in a long time.

let me put it this way, if you didnt like this ppv, then dont bother watching RAW, smackdown or any PPV for the rest of the year.. maybe check in again around the next royal rumble, and enjoy TNA in the meantime.

Ninja Scooter said:
its all been worth it.

hbk's post-wrestlemania interview was hilarious... talking about the internet and getting into blogging.. how he knew he was going to get a better ladder but didnt want something that big, but after he set it up had no choice so he just jumped off it.. etc

hbk is great. and even better when he is bumped up, full of energy and in a good mood after a great match.

EnvoyDenali said:
what you are describing here is someone who isnt a WWE fan, so why would you watch or comment on it and take so muhc time to talk about it? i am not an daewoo fan, so i dont generally enter daewoo discussions and harp on how much i dont like their cars. as you can see, people who enjoy WWE product really thought this ppv was amazing... benoit/jbl was awesome i thought, and the tag mathc was great too.. hhh vs cena was boring? i could see not being pleased with cena winning, but boring??? that match had more emotion and energy in it and from the crowd than any match in a long time.

let me put it this way, if you didnt like this ppv, then dont bother watching RAW, smackdown or any PPV for the rest of the year.. maybe check in again around the next royal rumble, and enjoy TNA in the meantime.

I'm a fan of wrestling. I paid good money to see WM22. I will give my honest opinion of the show if I feel like it. I'm not going to say every match was good just because I'm a fan. The Vinny Mac match was hilariously awesome. It brought back some memories of the Attitude era. The matches I called trash were trash. Sorry.

Cerebral Palsy said:
I'm a fan of wrestling. I paid good money to see WM22. I will give my honest opinion of the show if I feel like it. I'm not going to say every match was good just because I'm a fan. The Vinny Mac match was hilariously awesome. It brought back some memories of the Attitude era. The matches I called trash were trash. Sorry.

I didnt say that you couldnt watch or pay to watch... you are missing the point entirely or didnt read what i typed..

i said, if you didnt enjoy that, and its your "good money" that you hard earned.. save yourself the time, anger, and money in the future and not watch WWE, cause this show was amazing and people who enjoy WWE thought it was amazing.. if you didnt enjoy this, you probably wont enjoy most raws/smackdowns or future PPV's for the time being, so i was simply, as a good friend, recommending you save yourself the time and money and do something more productive or enjoyable with your time! thats all buddy.

and you thought some matches were trash, thats great. I thought the ppv was frigging awesome. I also know its called an opinion, and the type who claim to know what entertainment is trash or not trash,.. well, i dont want to say anything mean, its not worth it. sorry you didnt enjoy the show you paid money for. sorry.

EnvoyDenali said:
I didnt say that you couldnt watch or pay to watch... you are missing the point entirely or didnt read what i typed..

i said, if you didnt enjoy that, and its your "good money" that you hard earned.. save yourself the time, anger, and money in the future and not watch WWE, cause this show was amazing and people who enjoy WWE thought it was amazing.. if you didnt enjoy this, you probably wont enjoy most raws/smackdowns or future PPV's for the time being, so i was simply, as a good friend, recommending you save yourself the time and money and do something more productive or enjoyable with your time! thats all buddy.

I probably wouldn't keep up with WWE if it wasn't for my friends. I like TNA much more, but what ya going to do.

and you thought some matches were trash, thats great. I thought the ppv was frigging awesome. I also know its called an opinion, and the type who claim to know what entertainment is trash or not trash,.. well, i dont want to say anything mean, its not worth it. sorry you didnt enjoy the show you paid money for. sorry.

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt the WWE and the fan's feelings by giving my mean opinion. If I just watched the Vinny Mac, Angle, and the Foley matches, then walked away, I wouldn't have anything bad to say about the ppv. Unfortunately I can't go back in time.

EnvoyDenali said:
Agreed.

If the product is so bad, why do you guys watch every week? I know everyone gives the stock "because I want it to be good again" or "I like workers like Benoit" answers, but Benoit hasn't had a good match since Backlash 2003, and the product as a whole hasn't been good since that same PPV.

Trust me, if something good ever happens, you'll be able to download it. Stop wasting hours of your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom