• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men: Dawn of X |OT| While you slept, the world changed

Jooxed

Gold Member

g1N1eDD.jpg

This is my first OT be gentle, and I cant make banners so if someone wants to make a Dawn of X Gaf Banner that would be swell! Not sure if we have any comic fans here but I have been enjoying this series so far and if we do I thought It would be nice to have a place to talk about the ongoing revamp. Marvel has recently seen acclaimed writer Jonathan Hickman take over Marvel's band of mutants as the Head of X to oversee the stories for the next few years. The revamp started with House of X and Powers of X, each with a 6 issue arc telling the untold history and current situation of the X-Men that intertwined together to propel them into their dominant position in the Marvel universe for years to come

Fmu0L7P.jpg

8qgIyUF.jpg

https://www.marvel.com/articles/com...ons-about-house-of-x-and-powers-of-x-answered

A great Faq from Marvel about the Series detailing a little more about it. House of X and Powers of X has ended a couple weeks ago, I do not want to post spoilers in the OP so I wont go too into detail.

Wave 1 Book Solicits

o4jjcCJ.jpg

X-Men

DAWN OF X!
The X-Men find themselves in a whole new world of possibility... and things have never been better! Jonathan Hickman (HOUSE OF X, POWERS OF X, SECRET WARS) and superstar artist Leinil Yu (NEW AVENGERS, CAPTAIN AMERICA) reveal the saga of Cyclops and his hand-picked squad of mutant powerhouses!

Team: The Entire X Roster from over the years

tu1zpOI.jpg

X-Force

THE HIGH PRICE OF A NEW DAWN!
X-Force is the CIA of the mutant world-one half intelligence branch, one half special ops. Beast, Jean Grey and Sage on one side, Wolverine, Kid Omega and Domino on the other. In a perfect world, there would be no need for an X-Force. We're not there...yet.

Team: Marvel Girl, Kid Omega, Black Tom Cassidy, Sage, Domino, Colossus , Beast, Wolverine

kK5THJl.jpg

Excalibur

HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY TBA
A NEW DAWN IS FORGED!
The Otherworld is rocked by war! It is a new era for mutantkind as a new Captain Britain holds the amulet, fighting for the Kingdom of Avalon with her Excalibur at her side - Rogue, Gambit, Rictor, Jubilee...and Apocalypse. By Tini Howard and Marcus To

Team: Gambit, Apocalypse, Jubilee, Rictor, Rogue, Captain Britain

u5uvaBD.jpg

New Mutants

THE NEW GENERATION CLAIMS THE DAWN!
The classic New Mutants get together with a few new friends to seek out their missing member and share the good news… a mission that takes them into space alongside the Starjammers. By Jonathan Hickman and Ed Brisson

Team: Mondo, Magik, Wolfsbane, Chamber, Sunspot, Cypher, Mirage, Karma

DP1kuNY.jpg

Marauders

THE X-MEN SAIL AT DAWN!
Even in this glorious new dawn, Mutantkind faces hardships and oppression from their human counterparts. Led by Captain Kate Pryde and funded by Emma Frost and the Hellfire Trading Company, Marauders Storm, Pyro, Bishop and Iceman sail the seas of the world to protect those hated and feared! By Gerry Duggan and Matteo Lolli

Team: Kate Pryde, Iceman, Bishop, Emma Frost, Pyro, Lockheed, Storm

NbcQQ6B.jpg

Fallen Angels

THE DAWN DOES NOT BREAK FOR ALL!
Psylocke finds herself in this new world of Mutantkind unsure of her place in it… but when a face from her past returns only to be killed, she seeks help from others who feel similar to get vengeance. Cable and X-23 join Kwannon for a personal mission that could jeopardize all Mutantkind! By Bryan Edward Hill and Szymon Kudransk

Team: Cable, X-23, Psylock

....There is also a wave 2 of books coming in 2020 including Wolverine, X-Corps, and a Moira book

Jooxed

Gold Member
I really, REALLY need to catch up. I read the first two issues of Powers of X and House of X but stopped. Might read them in one go now.

I really enjoyed it, try to go onto HoX and PoX blind. There are a couple suprised but it really is just setting the stage for these wave one books.

Mauraders is the better of the two released so far in my opinion

sol_bad

Reading this OT really makes me want to start picking up some X books again. I must try not to though!!!!

*EDIT*
Wait, Apocalypse, Pyro and Cassidy are good guys now???

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Ever since they turned iceman gay I stopped reading x-men comics, not because he’s gay because I think they made him into a gay character to be an all exclusive comic but it felt forced it seemed stupid.
Maybe it’s a good time to pick up again but in general the overall quality in comics has been slowly killing my interest.

plushyp

As someone who has on and off followed X-Men, I have to say I did not like HoX/PoX at all. What Hickman has done is retconned Moira into a mutant and introduced some ridiculous past lives nonsense that was never needed in the first place. He has some interesting concepts from time to time but here it's just not working for me at all. This isn't the X-Men that I wanted to read. Shame that Mr and Mrs. X got cancelled because of this and them getting folded into Excalibur doesn't really interest me.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Reading this OT really makes me want to start picking up some X books again. I must try not to though!!!!

*EDIT*
Wait, Apocalypse, Pyro and Cassidy are good guys now???

Good is a loose term for what Hickman Is doing lol.

Ever since they turned iceman gay I stopped reading x-men comics, not because he’s gay because I think they made him into a gay character to be an all exclusive comic but it felt forced it seemed stupid.
Maybe it’s a good time to pick up again but in general the overall quality in comics has been slowly killing my interest.

I thought these were pretty quality and a step in the right direction for the X-Men, I also stopped reading for a while but this series made me excited to go to my comic store every wednesday again.

As someone who has on and off followed X-Men, I have to say I did not like HoX/PoX at all.

That's a shame, Maybe try Marauders and some of the other books coming out they are feeling more like traditional titles to me. Especially Marauders. HoX and PoX was feeling a little culty for awhile

Also bro maybe spoiler the certain character bit if you dont mind. For people that havent read yet

Last edited:

plushyp

That's a shame, Maybe try Marauders and some of the other books coming out they are feeling more like traditional titles to me. Especially Marauders. HoX and PoX was feeling a little culty for awhile

Also bro maybe spoiler the certain character bit if you dont mind. For people that havent read yet
Done so even though it's an early reveal. Btw, beware when posting solicitations or links as this is being openly discussed there. Am trying all the first issues but neither X-Men nor Marauders have grabbed me simply because they are too tied into this new concept.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I read everything Marvel but tend to do so about about a year after it's initial release so I'm always in catch up

Growing up X-books were always my favorite but in the last few years I found myself in Avengers/Journey into mystery stuff more than the mutant stuff

I always hated Cyclops and then during the Phoenix Force and thereafter he became a new favorite of mine.

032.jpg

TacosNSalsa

Thread followed. Ever since I found Infinity Gauntlet was included with Prime I've been getting back into comics. Now looking for a comic book store not far from me so I don'd have to trek across Brooklyn .

Jooxed

Gold Member
Done so even though it's an early reveal. Btw, beware when posting solicitations or links as this is being openly discussed there. Am trying all the first issues but neither X-Men nor Marauders have grabbed me simply because they are too tied into this new concept.

Thanks man! I look forward to your thoughts on the rest of the opening books, I have loved them so far... maybe you will like fallen angels.. which is supposed to be about.
people who dislike the new status quo

I read everything Marvel but tend to do so about about a year after it's initial release so I'm always in catch up

Growing up X-books were always my favorite but in the last few years I found myself in Avengers/Journey into mystery stuff more than the mutant stuff

I always hated Cyclops and then during the Phoenix Force and thereafter he became a new favorite of mine.

032.jpg

Cyclops is great during the the initial mini series run he gets some time to shine, He has a fantastic exchange with
Reed Richards

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Thread followed. Ever since I found Infinity Gauntlet was included with Prime I've been getting back into comics. Now looking for a comic book store not far from me so I don'd have to trek across Brooklyn .

Might want to check out Marvel Unlimited as you can read TONS of older marvel stuff, everything up to about 6 months ago is available. My biggest complaint with it is unless you know what stories you're looking for it can be a bit difficult to find but for the cost of a yearly subscription I probably read 5 times the cost in comics on it

Jooxed

Gold Member

This series made me get to a comic store every Wednesday morning, its...different

TacosNSalsa

This series made me get to a comic store every Wednesday morning, its...different
Have you read Thanos Quest the story of how he gets the gems leading up to the IG? Its such a far cry from the pu$$y in the movies it's amazing.

Might want to check out Marvel Unlimited as you can read TONS of older marvel stuff, everything up to about 6 months ago is available. My biggest complaint with it is unless you know what stories you're looking for it can be a bit difficult to find but for the cost of a yearly subscription I probably read 5 times the cost in comics on it
Have you tried Comixology? Is it any good? I was thinking about subbing to that because I also want DC stuff

kunonabi

Marauders number 1 was garbage and I havent been keen on much of hickman's characterization so far so this hasnt been a slam dunk for me.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Marauders number 1 was garbage and I havent been keen on much of hickman's characterization so far so this hasnt been a slam dunk for me.

Man I really liked Marauders, but maybe because I am an Iceman fan and I like what Hickman is doing overall. I also think Pyro is going to be a fun character. I look forward to hear your thoughts on future books if you stick with it.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Have you read Thanos Quest the story of how he gets the gems leading up to the IG? Its such a far cry from the pu$$y in the movies it's amazing.

Have you tried Comixology? Is it any good? I was thinking about subbing to that because I also want DC stuff

A lot of people in the other thread I frequent use comixology, They like it.... I just like to collect the comics.. something about picking up up and reading them appeals more to me

kunonabi

Man I really liked Marauders, but maybe because I am an Iceman fan and I like what Hickman is doing overall. I also think Pyro is going to be a fun character. I look forward to hear your thoughts on future books if you stick with it.

I only flip through Marvel/DC stuff when I'm in the store so I probably won't keep up that much. The only book I'm actually reading is Vampirella.

I'm still wanting to know what Xavier is hiding beneath his full coverage Cerebro helmet. Is it something grotesque? Or does he look completely normal, and the helmet is designed that way just to throw people off when his face is shown without it?

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I'm still wanting to know what Xavier is hiding beneath his full coverage Cerebro helmet. Is it something grotesque? Or does he look completely normal, and the helmet is designed that way just to trow people off when his face is shown without it?

I know, Hickman has been very careful to hide his face even in panels without him wearing the helmet. I have been dying to know what's underneath. Haha maybe a Sinister crystal?

Or at the end of the day Hickman just likes dudes in helmets

plushyp

Thanks man! I look forward to your thoughts on the rest of the opening books, I have loved them so far... maybe you will like fallen angels.. which is supposed to be about.
Yes, actually that is the one I'm looking forward to the most given Bryan Hill is the writer. Some of his writing is pretty sharp (Postal).

kunonabi

WhiskeyDiver WhiskeyDiver plushyp plushyp

Unsure if you guys read Excalibur, but its the first one that I felt was really underwhelming for me. Certain characters kinda felt forced like Jubilee

As a giant fan of the original Excalibur run I had very little faith in this run so I'm not expecting much out of it. The new team never appealed to me with Betsy Britain and Apocalypse involved.

Jooxed

Gold Member
As a giant fan of the original Excalibur run I had very little faith in this run so I'm not expecting much out of it. The new team never appealed to me with Betsy Britain and Apocalypse involved.

I'm not too sure if this one will be up your alley, there are a couple nice callbacks from what I gather but that is about the extent of it. It might be worth a flip through for you while you are at the store, but the fact Nightcrawler is not on the team is mind boggling to me

plushyp

Jooxed Jooxed Finally read Excalibur and while the concept is nice, the pacing was really off and I agree that the plot motivation for bringing the team together is verrrry flimsy. Marcus To on art is always welcome though but don't see myself pulling it even for Gambit.

Jooxed

Gold Member

Nrama: The solicitation for the opening issues of X-Force says in a “perfect world”, the team wouldn’t exist. So what’s their new mission statement?

Percy: You might be familiar with the laws - or commandments - that came out of House of X/Powers of X. The rules that would define the standards of the Krakoan nation. One of them was to murder no human.

This…does not apply to X-Force. Think about what the CIA has done over the years. Deniable operations will include espionage, blackmail, assassinations, the funding mercenaries and insurgents, etc. They do bad things for “good” reasons.

And no, not everyone on the team feels right about what they’re up to.

Jooxed Jooxed

I got to excalibur #1, and it felt like a huge drop in quality from everything else. I don't think this one is going to have a very long run unless they can get it going after such a flat footed start.

Jooxed

Gold Member
WhiskeyDiver WhiskeyDiver I agree, the team just kind of seemed Hodgepodge'd together, the only dynamic I am really interested in is Apocalypse vs the rest of the team.

~Todays Books No Spoilers~

I have to say I really really enjoyed both of the new issues today. I was not expecting to like X-Force but it seems like it is going to be a fast paced book with a lot going on. Obviously the cliffhanger ending isn't going to have much of an impact but I am surprised they did that in a non Hickman book. It just really shows how much all of these books are intertwined together.

New Mutants is another one I did not expect to like because I have no attachment tot he characters save for Chamber who is a favorite of mine, and Mondo who I always thought "looked cool" when I was younger. This book seems like it is going to be a lot of fun

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I dropped all the DoX titles after all the #2’s were out. The bloat of the X-Men line is starting to get ridiculous again. Not that I mind reading that much X-Men. I just can’t afford it.

I’ll start it all over again in 6 months or when Marvel Unlimited has a nice little backlog built up.

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
X-Men has always had lots of books.
<___<

The X-Men haven't had 12 on-goings in a while. Not since I got back into comics in 2015 at least. That is where they'll be soon even with Fallen Angels ending. Factor in miniseries, one shots, and double shipping for some titles and things are about to get very expensive. And sure I don't have to read it all but I going to.

So by the time I finish my 2004 to 2012 X-men read-thru I should have a nice stockpile of DoX issues. I'm about to begin 2011.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Here is our look at the new X-factor and costumes. Left to right... Prestige, Daken, Northstar, Aurora, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye boy

cGFm3WU.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Man you are in for a treat when you get caught up in X-Men it has really ramped up. It has moved into my most anticipated title monthly.

Ohhh you’re getting me all excited! I’m looking forward to it as well.

As for my current read through was Prelude to Schism not the most pointless and boring waste of time in the history of comics? I mean who thought it would be a good idea to take every fear and doubt Scott has had in the last 50 years and condense them all into a 4 issue mini series?

Jooxed

Gold Member
Ohhh you’re getting me all excited! I’m looking forward to it as well.

As for my current read through was Prelude to Schism not the most pointless and boring waste of time in the history of comics? I mean who thought it would be a good idea to take every fear and doubt Scott has had in the last 50 years and condense them all into a 4 issue mini series?

Honestly everything up to Dawn of X is a waste of time man, this is is the first time X-Men has been relevant since grant Morrison. Hickman is doing wonders. Also they cancelled Fallen Angels.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
well we might not agree on much then because I hate Grant Morrison (and Quietly) and have thoroughly enjoyed most of the decimation era. Post-Second Coming has been a bit aimless but most of the stories have still been fun.

Top Bottom