• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"X-Men: The Animated Series" Producer Has Talked With Disney About A Revival

brap

Banned
X-Yall. X-Ma'am. What you guys think it'll be called?
X-Men: The Animated Series was a fan favorite in the 90s. Of all the amazing superhero cartoons of that era, X-Men stuck out. The team of Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Rogue, Beast, Colossus, Jubilee, and Professor X created a new generation of X-Men fans. Its popularity is what led to Fox pushing forward with an X-Men live-action film. Now, according to IGN, we have some answers to the rumors about a revival of the series.

During a virtual Wizard World panel this past Friday, a producer from the cartoon show revealed that Disney is in talks to revive the series. Larry Houston, who also directed episodes, stated, "We've had talks [with Disney], but that's about it. We've made conversation and it's up to them to make the decision, but we've let them know that we're all available for whatever they want to do in the future."

Houston, who is retired at the moment, also told viewers about his dream project. "If we could do a special, a one-off episode, or a five-part episode. Whatever they wanted to do if we had all the original team. That's what I would come out of retirement for." It looks like the ball is in Disney's court, as it often is.

eh

good luck

05059531044639c1c49735b42c0d9a88.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
The cartoon was amazing to me in the 90s as a kid. I tried watching it somewhat recently and IMO it hasn't aged too well.

I really like the themes buried deep inside, but a lot of it is quite wonky and limited today from a storytelling perspective. If they put out a semi-mature new series that dealt with the mutant vs human war, it could be great. But who am I kidding? It'll just be an opportunity to make every character a gay/trans/minority version of their previous selves.

llien

It is hard to get excited about re-makes these days...

I wonder, when will business finally realize that woke-ism hurts.

Last edited:

RavageX

I was actually upset when I saw this news the other day, for the exact reasons mentioned here. They will ruin it somehow, if not by a terrible art style...by ruining the characters themselves.

Being the original ppl behind it are involved I have about 10% hope it will be good.

The old show(having watched recently) looks rough sorta, and clearly was formatted for TV(like 15 minute episodes) but was still good. Did about as well as you can trying to tell a story in that amount of time, and still make it interesting for little kids.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
ANYWAY, no thanks. It won't look like the 90s or the anime X-men. Prob closer to Gravity Falls or some shit.

TheContact

I watched a few episodes the day I got Disney+ for nostalgia, and yeah the show is still good. I'm hoping to get through Gargoyles at some point, too.
I don't think I'd be down for a remake. I'll show my kids the original when they're a bit older.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Eh, if this was a decade ago, I'd be excited. Today? No. It's going to be socially progressive and full of transparent allegories. They'll reimagine the characters, and ruin them.

I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.
I'm feeling bwaah-ah-ah-ah!...When thinking about it.

Top Bottom