• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox´s Wet Dream: Feasible or Another Broken Promise?

Do you think Xbox is going to fulfill it's Wet Dream?

• Yes (They will be able to offer 80+ meta games every quarter).

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Yes (Only if you count those "middle of the road" games)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No (I only care for 80+/90+ Meta).

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Whatever (With Game Pass I dont care about the quality)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
FIRST:
What is Xbox´s Wet Dream?

"In terms of the overall lineup, we want to get to a point of releasing a new game every quarter," Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, said in a recent video briefing shown to press".

My gut reaction is: No way in hell. Why? Well, because we are not talking about middle-of-the-road 70+ Meta games. We are talking at least 80+... But let's be honest here; what we really want/expect are 90+ meta, GOTY/Generation-defining games babyyy.

CONTEXT:
So, I was listening to an Xbox-centric podcast; and there were these two guys basically having an orgasm while laying out Xbox´s Master Plan for World Domination and poor PlayStation...You could say that....they are basically.... Doomed. Xbox is going to have a staggering amount of content that PlayStation is going to be crying in the corner without anything to do....cuz, they can't afford shit. Right?

AM I CRAZY?:
My skepticism doesn't come from a Console Warrior or fanboy point of view. Just from common sense watching the industry. So I decide to make a couple of dirty ass graphs:

The Y-axis is the Metascore and X-axis shows the span of time (one year) before and after the release of a very important game. The idea of these graphs is to show the amount and quality of games released in a specific amount the time. Using a highly regarded game as the middle point is just a way to try to encompass several years.

YGON5nG.png

The graphs above of course are PlayStation-published Games.

And the graphs below show MS Activision and Bethesda published games.

QakIknD.png

DISCLAIMERS:
There are games that don't have Metacritic scores.
MS has some weird-ass windows irrelevant shite that nobody cares about. Sony has a bunch of games that are irrelevant to this conversation like the fucking expansions or wahtever of the harry potter´s dildo games. for example
I tried to focus on Xbox (console) release dates but honestly, is messy.

In other words: I just did this with my ass (while peeing).

CONCLUSIONS:
As we can see. Both companies technically can release a game every quarter. No big deal bro. Is about the scheduling.
The issue (as expected) has to do with the quality and cadence of those games, specailly90+ GOTYs.

So I would say that even with Activision-Blizzard and Bethesda acquisitions, Xbox will be FINALLY on par with PlayStation on quantity and quality . I can see MS publishing more 80+ games tho. While sony will have slightly better output overall regarding 90+ games. Competition is going to be fierce and better than ever bros.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
According to your graphs sony are making more games then acti-blizz, Bethesda, and ms?

Read a bit more and its apparent that your data is not like for like,
So your entire conclusion fails because your data sucks.

Microsoft are gonna do great and so are sony, relax.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

You need to clarify the criteria: do those games need to be full exclusive, timed exclusives, are indies included, PC games, etc?

Because depending on your exact criteria the wet dream may have been a reality since 2020 or even earlier.

Jinzo Prime

This post is a bit messy and can use some editing, but the question you're asking is can Microsoft deliver a great, audience-pleasing game every quarter?

No.

Not because they don't have the resourses, but because they don't have the leadership or the talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom