• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s Phil Spencer criticises PlayStation’s PC strategy for being ‘late’ and ‘charging twice’

You can play Xbox exclusives anywhere.
You could even play, Xbox exclusives on Playstation if Sony would allow Game Pass on their Platform. But they don't, so it's Sony's fault.

The two stances are not even comparable.
So Sony could be or are preventing future Bethesda games from showing up on their platforms by rejecting Gamepass? Sony can’t be that crazy, can they? I know they are their direct competiton, but having Gamepass on PlayStation could be a huge advantage for Sony in the hardware space. Yeah, if they don’t change their stance, that’s definitely all their fault.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Why would MS give away games for free, sure they want to motivate people to buy PC's over Macs, but they are still interested in seeing a profit per game sold. You're not going to give away free books just cause you also sell reading lessons. If it wasn't clear, what I'm saying is that MS has a vested interest in the success of PC as a platform, not just for gaming, but as a tool, as a workstation, ect ect, if a potential customer is deciding on Mac vs PC, the fact that he can play games (more easily) on a PC might be enough to sway him over to PC, in which case he's much more likely to purchase other Microsoft products (Windows, Office, OneDrive, ect ect). Sony doesn't have the same advantage and therefore motivation to support the PC as a platform, so their tactic of getting as many people as possible to buy PS5s and then coming back later for a double-dip into the PC market after the initial hype has died down makes perfect sense, and before you say that Sony isn't getting PC gamers to buy Playstations anyway, this is just not true...I know fucking tons of people (on this forum and IRL) that are primarily PC gamers but have PS4/5 and/or Switches as secondary devices for exclusives and the odd game that is more appropriate to play on console (I for example prefer racing games, fighters, and third person adventure games/platformers on console, while what I play the most is on PC (strategy, FPS, Moba).

I never said it wasn't a smart move of Sony to launch their games on PC, I fucking love that they do that, I'm just saying it's also a smart move to wait a few years before doing so, to not cannibalize their own sales.

Ok but where are they giving the games away for free? You have to pay for them either way, whether on PC or XB, if you happen to own both platforms, well good for you, you paid for the game once and can play it either on PC or console. Actually as I'm writing this, it actually does makes a lot of sense given that technically you're paying not for the game, but a license. So you purchase a license for a given title and use that licence on whatever hardware you want. Sounds so obvious now lol.

But I have to say, MS has overslept their PC opportunity, because just as on consoles, they could've been taking a cut for every single software that's being sold on Windows, but then again, decades ago no one was obviously thinking about stuff like that since digital distribution didn't existed and it was all about box copies sold, and now Steam has completely took over and that's where all the money goes. But the rumors and this interview suggest they will somehow integrate with Steam, because well, they don't have much of a choice if they want to keep going in that direction.

Varteras

Gold Member
So you blame Spencer for the time immediately AFTER Mattrick when the X1 was already out and he had no control over what he was given and would have fired him BEFORE the X1X was released, Kinect was removed, and before Game pass. You would have expected a massive turnaround in less than 3 years after inheriting a mess. All I can say is I'm glad you weren't in charge.

All the new studio acquisitions started ramping up in 2017 when you would have given him the boot. One of the biggest issues with Xbox was that there as constant turnover as new executives wanted to take the brand in different directions. Right now I think they are on a good track and that in large part is due to Phil's leadership. Since the brand had been shedding studios before Spencer started picking them back up there was no real way to increase the games output you are complaining about.

The good thing is it appears there is a e3 showing in just 3 days. I'd wait to see what they show before making any final conclusions about Phil's tenure. The best thing is that the people who dislike Phil the most aren't fans of the Xbox either so it's not like they are customers in the first place.
I personally wouldn't have fired him depending on what I knew of the situation. But like I said, I've never worked in a place where if you're put in charge and things aren't turned around quickly enough or maybe get worse under you you still get to keep your job.

Mattrick left Spencer with a big PR blunder. But Mattrick wasn't responsible for tons of studios getting closed. He wasn't responsible for the continued mismanagement of Xbox first party. He wasn't responsible for Xbox not getting deals and partnerships with enough studios to fill the big gap in the library. Spencer announced projects that didn't even have developers, a studio that never ended up making anything, and year after year hyped up the fanbase who were hoping that "this time it'll be different". I think that is where my distaste for him comes from the most. How he kept giving his consumers hope when he knew he really had nothing.

I'm really not sure what this love affair of the Xbox One X is but it didn't change anything really. What does hardware matter without games? There is no excuse for a lacking games lineup for potentially a decade before it's fixed. Partnerships and exclusivity deals are a thing. Building up existing studios and getting them on multiple projects was an option too.

Yes, good moves have been made under Spencer but content is king and it has been Xbox's weakest aspect for an entire generation and we're looking at possibly going halfway through this one before we see results.

I'm damn sure looking forward to E3. I wanna see what they have coming. But I want to see things coming soon. Not 3 or 4 years from now. I want to see Halo be what it was again. I'm very critical of him myself but I do buy their games. Killer Instinct, TMCC, Halo Wars, and several Zenimax games are on my Steam account. So I definitely have an interest in what they produce. I'm a customer. Not some blind fanboy who hates on something he won't buy.

Varteras

Gold Member
Phils previous bosses were incompetent. Ballmer didn't think buying the Minecraft ip was worth it. Hell Satya Nedella was surprised his previous bosses turned it down. Taylor Myercer was Phils boss when before he was promoted in 2017, all decsions had to go through him. Because before the restructing MS went through in 2016 xbox was under the supervision of the Windows department. Had a much smaller budget to work with and less creative freedom. When he was promoted to VP he convinced Nedella not shelv the xbox brand. Hindsight is 20/20 but if you did your research you'd know the cards were stacked aginst him. He made the best of what he was given.
Oh I know they were. Xbox went from having guys like Jay Allard to... the morons they had for too long. I do not think that Spencer is the worst thing to happen to Xbox. I just don't understand the praise for someone who could end up taking 10 years to deliver the content people were expecting to be having just as long ago. I don't get how you launch a new console with no games after having as much time as he has to prepare for it.

Topher

Gold Member
But I have to say, MS has overslept their PC opportunity, because just as on consoles, they could've been taking a cut for every single software that's being sold on Windows, but then again, decades ago no one was obviously thinking about stuff like that since digital distribution didn't existed and it was all about box copies sold, and now Steam has completely took over and that's where all the money goes. But the rumors and this interview suggest they will somehow integrate with Steam, because well, they don't have much of a choice if they want to keep going in that direction.

Microsoft would have been bent over backwards by anti-trust legislation if they had attempted to take control of all digital software sales on Windows.

Klayzer

Oh I know they were. Xbox went from having guys like Jay Allard to... the morons they had for too long. I do not think that Spencer is the worst thing to happen to Xbox. I just don't understand the praise for someone who could end up taking 10 years to deliver the content people were expecting to be having just as long ago. I don't get how you launch a new console with no games after having as much time as he has to prepare for it.
I would also like to know, what was the Xbox studios doing before all the purchases? I can't believe they put all their eggs in one Halo basket.

Where did you get the idea Microsoft wanted to put Game Pass on PlayStation in the first place?
Because it makes sense. It's their end game play and Microsoft said themselves they want their exclusives on every platform where Game Pass is.

Right now that's Xbox Consoles, Windows PCs, Android and IOS and soon TVs without the need for a consoles.
If Sony allows Game Pass on Playstation, you can play those games there.
And I even bet MS would make the concession of putting them on the platform for regular purchase, too.

My point is, it makes no sense to blame either. Because you could blame either for the games not being there and either party has a good reason to not budge.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Where did you get the idea Microsoft wanted to put Game Pass on PlayStation in the first place?
A. Phil Spencer has said this in multiple interviews.

B.
pspnqfrxv5x61.jpg

Yep. People really do have a very selective memory. And all the threads where team blue here laughed at team green because of cross-gen are locked or deleted :messenger_beaming:

Despite this embarrassing attempt by the fanatics to say Sony’s only just doing cross gen as well. Sony’s has released next gen only games and is planning on next gen only along side cross gen games. No matter how many times you parrot the same fud; Sony isn’t just releasing cross gen.

And Phil’s commitment to cross gen is because they had nothing in the pipeline and making excuses for halo being last gen too.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Microsoft would have been bent over backwards by anti-trust legislation if they had attempted to take control of all digital software sales on Windows.

I don't know, just a few, hell, even just 1% from billions upon billions of applications sold would bring them almost infinite money, while not really hurting anyone.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Yep. People really do have a very selective memory. And all the threads where team blue here laughed at team green because of cross-gen are locked or deleted :messenger_beaming:
Stop spreading misinformation. We lock necro threads no matter the brand tattooed on one’s arse. It’s always been a thing here and almost everywhere. There is no conspiracy.

Very rarely is a thread deleted and when they are, it’s certainly not for your petty console wars. I’ve seen several of you repeat a couple of threads were deleted last week, and when I served the thread link crow, you all scatter like roaches only to repeat this BS the following week.

As for the rest of this thread, lighten up on the insults towards one another over an executive’s PR words.

Topher

Gold Member
A. Phil Spencer has said this in multiple interviews.

B.
pspnqfrxv5x61.jpg

xCloud by itself isn't Game Pass. xCloud on other consoles would actually make a lot more sense though as Game Pass on PS would have to juggle a lot of licensing issues between the two platforms, although there would still be issues. Sure, Microsoft would love to be able to put an app on every device for streaming. The question is how would the revenue be shared. That's where things get difficult.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I would also like to know, what was the Xbox studios doing before all the purchases? I can't believe they put all their eggs in one Halo basket.
The coalition was doing gears 5 dlc supporting a game they released, rare supporting sea of thrives and turn 10 is
Building a next-gen engine ffs for probably2022 gt7 is cross generation 343 halo. There is your armada of Microsoft teams pre 2018 thanks to budgets and failures before Phil. You make it sound like Phil had 20 teams sitting there for 5 years lol.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
xCloud by itself isn't Game Pass. xCloud on other consoles would actually make a lot more sense though as Game Pass on PS would have to juggle a lot of licensing issues between the two platforms, although there would still be issues. Sure, Microsoft would love to be able to put an app on every device for streaming. The question is how would the revenue be shared. That's where things get difficult.
Agree on that. I suspect GP via Xcloud is the only realistic chance of GP going to Switch and PS. Stream the game but if you want to buy you do it through the Nintendo/PS Store where they get their full 30%. I suspect there’s 0% chance we’ll ever see game downloading as you get on Xbox.

ACESHIGH

Banned
He is right you know... but I guess according Gaf and Reset Era logic only Sony is allowed to take shots at the competition (gameshare video - we believe in generations and many more)

Relativ9

Ok but where are they giving the games away for free? You have to pay for them either way, whether on PC or XB, if you happen to own both platforms, well good for you, you paid for the game once and can play it either on PC or console. Actually as I'm writing this, it actually does makes a lot of sense given that technically you're paying not for the game, but a license. So you purchase a license for a given title and use that licence on whatever hardware you want. Sounds so obvious now lol.

I never said anything about giving away the games for free, you brought that up. But either way, it still doesn't make sense to compare MS and Sony in that regard either, like I said, MS profits from people having PCs(windows machines) whether or not they pay for games explicitly on them, Xbox development is based on DirectX just like PC so porting games between the two platforms is less costly and time consuming, they have their own digital storefront where they sell games without having to pay a middleman like steam that comes per-installed on the predominant PC operating system, and they are pushing people to that storefront by enabling cross-buy only through it (but not on competitors like Steam). None of this is true for Sony, and likely never will be...unless of course Sony decides to launch a competitor PC OS to Windows and workstation suite like Office...which I pray to god they're never dumb enough to attempt.

So while it's great that MS has the ability and motivation to give us cross-buy, it's pretty obvious why Sony wouldn't have the same benefit of doing that, unless like I said, they had a PC OS product they were also trying to sell.

Excess

I personally wouldn't have fired him depending on what I knew of the situation. But like I said, I've never worked in a place where if you're put in charge and things aren't turned around quickly enough or maybe get worse under you you still get to keep your job.

Mattrick left Spencer with a big PR blunder. But Mattrick wasn't responsible for tons of studios getting closed. He wasn't responsible for the continued mismanagement of Xbox first party. He wasn't responsible for Xbox not getting deals and partnerships with enough studios to fill the big gap in the library. Spencer announced projects that didn't even have developers, a studio that never ended up making anything, and year after year hyped up the fanbase who were hoping that "this time it'll be different". I think that is where my distaste for him comes from the most. How he kept giving his consumers hope when he knew he really had nothing.

I'm really not sure what this love affair of the Xbox One X is but it didn't change anything really. What does hardware matter without games? There is no excuse for a lacking games lineup for potentially a decade before it's fixed. Partnerships and exclusivity deals are a thing. Building up existing studios and getting them on multiple projects was an option too.

Yes, good moves have been made under Spencer but content is king and it has been Xbox's weakest aspect for an entire generation and we're looking at possibly going halfway through this one before we see results.

I'm damn sure looking forward to E3. I wanna see what they have coming. But I want to see things coming soon. Not 3 or 4 years from now. I want to see Halo be what it was again. I'm very critical of him myself but I do buy their games. Killer Instinct, TMCC, Halo Wars, and several Zenimax games are on my Steam account. So I definitely have an interest in what they produce. I'm a customer. Not some blind fanboy who hates on something he won't buy.
I would just put things a little more in perspective. He's the sole reason Xbox is even still around.

Klayzer

The coalition was doing gears 5 dlc supporting a game they released, rare supporting sea of thrives and turn 10 is
Building a next-gen engine ffs for probably2022 gt7 is cross generation 343 halo. There is your armada of Microsoft teams pre 2018 thanks to budgets and failures before Phil. You make it sound like Phil had 20 teams sitting there for 5 years lol.
Man, it must be nice for Phil to get all the credit for anything positive for Xbox, but none of the blame for it shortcomings. I guess Dandy Don will forever be the scapegoat.

ZywyPL

Banned
I never said anything about giving away the games for free, you brought that up. But either way, it still doesn't make sense to compare MS and Sony in that regard either, like I said, MS profits from people having PCs(windows machines) whether or not they pay for games explicitly on them, Xbox development is based on DirectX just like PC so porting games between the two platforms is less costly and time consuming, they have their own digital storefront where they sell games without having to pay a middleman like steam that comes per-installed on the predominant PC operating system, and they are pushing people to that storefront by enabling cross-buy only through it (but not on competitors like Steam). None of this is true for Sony, and likely never will be...unless of course Sony decides to launch a competitor PC OS to Windows and workstation suite like Office...which I pray to god they're never dumb enough to attempt.

So while it's great that MS has the ability and motivation to give us cross-buy, it's pretty obvious why Sony wouldn't have the same benefit of doing that, unless like I said, they had a PC OS product they were also trying to sell.

Ok I get you now. I even said in other thread recently that MS can afford releasing game on day one thanks to UWP, whereas Sony needs to port their proprietary APIs to DX/OpenGL/Vulcan, which is why we most likely will never see their games on PC on day one, rather at least months later. But then again, nothing is stoping them for having their own storefront as well, and having a connected ecosystem between PS5 and PC. They're just doing their baby steps into the PC market, so who knows, maybe it'll happen some day, they need to figure out the market first, check what works and what doesn't, what brings the most profits.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The irony is Phil saying they don't charge twice for their games but we're still waiting to see any game worth buying even once.
On the other hand Sony could literally double the price of some of their games and they would still be worth buying. Actually, I'd prefer paying $120 for god of war, horizon and them being ps5 exclusive than pay their actual price and know they are crossgen.
But that's just me...
lol lmao.

This might be true today, but I strongly suspect come Sunday we are gonna be looking at Phil in another light.

I think they are about to have a kickass show. Not just because they now have 23 studios, but also because there is a good chance Bluepoint and Kojima are making games for him. If those MGS remake rumors are true, thats a $120 game for me. Anything kojima makes is priceless. Bethesda games are an easy buy.

I dont know. This is a silly thing for him to even talk about, but hes done a good job staying quiet this year which leads me to believe that he might actually have a good show planned.

Topher

Gold Member
lol lmao.

This might be true today, but I strongly suspect come Sunday we are gonna be looking at Phil in another light.

I think they are about to have a kickass show. Not just because they now have 23 studios, but also because there is a good chance Bluepoint and Kojima are making games for him. If those MGS remake rumors are true, thats a $120 game for me. Anything kojima makes is priceless. Bethesda games are an easy buy.

I dont know. This is a silly thing for him to even talk about, but hes done a good job staying quiet this year which leads me to believe that he might actually have a good show planned.

You may be right. He may be feeling a bit cocky if he has some kick ass stuff lined up. And I'm with you on MGS and Kojima. That's a guaranteed purchase from me.

Money hungry but smart businessman Jimbo:
We are the market leader and we are confident in the quality of our games. People are happy to double dip or even triple dip just to experience our games once again and reliving those well cherished great memories.

Phil the Trash Dispenser:
We are super insecure. We have all the money in the world. Why don't things work out in our favor? Why are people 'dumb' enough to double dip with our competitor? But won't even buy our shit once, or even make the step to test loads of our shitty games for a small price? We need to make our point come across. Even if that means telling people what they should or shouldn't spend their money on.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
The root of the problem is who started all this trend because it didn’t had exclusives. We also end up with online behind a paywall in all consoles…

All great things happening on the gaming industry ;)

But as you said it’s just business ;)
Its sony with ps1. but we can a head and blame xbox on it.

Spidey Fan

Banned
They both have their moments, but one of the ones that really stuck out to me was, exclusives are evil and anti-consumer and Sony should be ashamed of doing that. Yet, Microsoft purchased Bethesda for their exclusives to be on XBOX and Gamepass.
Why dont you address that in the early ps1-ps2? This was Sony practice, when they were new to the business. Microsoft just took it to a whole new level that is all.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Im curious who's banned alt he is. Jumped right into console warring without missing a beat.
I dont know what you guys are talking. I am new to this site.

Been sick of people dunking on whatever good thing microsoft does, while propping the other site. whether its gamepass, buying studios for their division (xbox has no games meme), etc. And if called on them, i get called a troll. Like there is no in between them.

I hate people who spew bullshit to make their platform better. Xbox or PlayStation guy. if you spew shit, i will call you out simple. I have no time for your childish shit to spread. We enjoy games, not console wars.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Man, it must be nice for Phil to get all the credit for anything positive for Xbox, but none of the blame for it shortcomings. I guess Dandy Don will forever be the scapegoat.
Who said forever him and Matt booty deserve to have their vision play out. The studios purchased and created in 2018 deserve a full cycle to create to prove them right or wrong. He had zero support from corporate until 2018 and now has his shot. It is not like he is Jim Ryan and inherited a juggernaut and the best collection of studios in the world.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Who said forever him and Matt booty deserve to have their vision play out. The studios purchased and created in 2018 deserve a full cycle to create to prove them right or wrong. He had zero support from corporate until 2018 and now has his shot. It is not like he is Jim Ryan and inherited a juggernaut and the best collection of studios in the world.
People here think 5 mere studio will bumb out the same rate as PlayStation. Blood borne, and Spiderman werent even done by first party studios. Xbox had scalebound, but was fucked by platinumgames.

If people were just to look at the studio that was working for xbox, they would have known, not enough games would have produced on time like playstation.

Its hard to convince them.

K' Dash

Phil: challenges Sony to be more consumer friendly with their PC approach.

Fanboy: ignores statement and proceeds to deepthroat Jimbo.

Neofire

Steam is not Microsoft's platform.

If a schmuck means that he's all for the consumer, then schmuck away.
Phil is for which ever the wind blows. Fortunately for him he has a trillion dollar company backing whatever he does.

That "for the consumer" shit is a smokescreen because years ago this was a much definitely song and dance.

assurdum

Banned
He is right you know... but I guess according Gaf and Reset Era logic only Sony is allowed to take shots at the competition (gameshare video - we believe in generations and many more)
The fact is not he is right. MS is in a position which can allow such behaviour. But if they were in the same position of sony you can bet they would do exactly the same if not worse; and frankly Phil should stop to talk as an healthy gamer of my balls because it's not, it's a fucking lead manager of a multibilionar company and he knows perfectly not everytime he can care to what was "right" for the customers and Bethesda acquisition showed it quite clearly.

Last edited:
Phil is for which ever the wind blows. Fortunately for him he has a trillion dollar company backing whatever he does.

That "for the consumer" shit is a smokescreen because years ago this was a much definitely song and dance.
Remind me what Sony is doing again to be pro-consumer? Weren't they a company that believed in generations and straight up lied to their fans? No free upgrades, no cross-play, no cross-buy, no PS1, PS2, or PS3 BC.

Phil's a Microsoft employee with Microsoft's best interests in mind, making games cross-platform, cross-play, allowing free upgrades to the XSX versions, and allowing you to play your games from the cloud, Xbox - Xbox One BC with 4k and framerate updates, buying games or allowing us to subscribe to them is all beneficial to Microsoft as well as the gamers and it keeps the gamers on the platform but in a very pro-consumer way. There's nothing wrong with choices.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Remind me what Sony is doing again to be pro-consumer? Weren't they a company that believed in generations and straight up lied to their fans? No free upgrades, no cross-play, no cross-buy

Phil's a Microsoft employee with Microsoft's best interests in mind, making games cross-platform, cross-play, allowing free upgrades to the XSX versions, and allowing you to play your games from the cloud is beneficial to Microsoft as well as the gamers as it keeps the gamers on the platform but in a very pro-consumer way.
Remind when Phil said to hate temporal exclusive and meanwhilte secretely make a deal to have TR exclusive temporaly on xbox base? That's what Phil is it. Take the plaude when he can and put a middle finger in your ass when you don't look at him.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I would just put things a little more in perspective. He's the sole reason Xbox is even still around.

This is something I'm not aware of. After work I'll take a look. This could change my perspective. I'm still not happy about how long it has taken to put games out but with a little more clarity of how things went behind the scenes I could be convinced.

luffie

People here think 5 mere studio will bumb out the same rate as PlayStation. Blood borne, and Spiderman werent even done by first party studios. Xbox had scalebound, but was fucked by platinumgames.

If people were just to look at the studio that was working for xbox, they would have known, not enough games would have produced on time like playstation.

Its hard to convince them.
Nah, Xbox just male dumb decisions very often.
I dunno what happens behind the screen, but you have Scalebound cancelled, and your best bet is making a gamepass and a 7b buyout, whose current release history isn't great, and crossing your fingers all these will work out.

Sure Sony has Bloodborne, but nothing is stopping Xbox from reaching out to From and asking them to make an exclusive. Sony saw Demon Souls, and immediately KNOW they have to contract From for an exclusive. Sony purchased Insomniac for chumps and churned out excellent games time after time.
Meanwhile gears and Halo is fluctuating in quality.
Sony paid Capcom for early release of Monster Hunter World, Xbox didn't, and Sony paid Capcom again for early Monster Hunter Rise, and you bet the next awesome release of Monster Hunter will still release on Sony first while Xbox is still sitting around buying studios and hope their strategy works. Xbox cpuld literally pay these srudios too, but no, their selling points are still "our plastic is better than their plastic", 3 generations and they still don't learn.

Say what you want about Sony's practices, but Xbox makes worse decisions.

Remind when Phil said to hate temporal exclusive and meanwhilte secretely make a deal to have TR exclusive temporaly on xbox base? That's what Phil is it. Take the plaude when he can and put a middle finger in your ass when you don't look at him.

Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, Sony is money-hatting everyone.

The 'PR blunder' as you put it crippled the X1 for its entire life. Kinect actually reduced the CPU capability of the device and GDDR 3 ruined the GPU. I don't blame Phil Spencer for this. The management of the studios was an issue but I'm not certain it was solely Spencer's fault especially if he was lacking support from higher up. I also don't blame him for closing studios because it wouldn't be until 2017 when he became a VP that he would have had the power to do so. The worst decision MS made was selling off Bungie and that wasn't under Phil Spencer either.

All of your comments about gaps in the library are being worked on right now. It sucks it didn't happen with the snap of your fingers but these things take time. The future looks brighter than ever and it certainly didn't happen over night. As I said before e3 is days away. The least we can do is actually watch the presentation and see what is coming up soon. If the games they show are all 2023 or later titles you may have a point but this year isn't even over yet.

The XSX|S isn't even a year old and outside of 1st party specific titles MS has already done lots to add content to the platform with industry leading cross gen support, superior backwards compatibility, a subscription service like no other, and as this topic while, poorly worded, significantly better cross platform purchase policies. 1st party has NEVER been an Xbox strength. They have always leaned pretty heavily on 3rd parties. Today their 1st party is the largest in the industry. Big difference.

It is an odd time to start disliking Phil Spencer. I think his successes far outweigh the failures. That is why he is popular, the fans of the platform look at the system today, not as it was in 2013. Like I said the people that don't like him dislike everything Xbox. As this thread as shown even when he speaks the truth people twist it and get outraged.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Nah, Xbox just male dumb decisions very often.
I dunno what happens behind the screen, but you have Scalebound cancelled, and your best bet is making a gamepass and a 7b buyout, whose current release history isn't great, and crossing your fingers all these will work out.

Sure Sony has Bloodborne, but nothing is stopping Xbox from reaching out to From and asking them to make an exclusive. Sony saw Demon Souls, and immediately KNOW they have to contract From for an exclusive. Sony purchased Insomniac for chumps and churned out excellent games time after time.
Meanwhile gears and Halo is fluctuating in quality.
Sony paid Capcom for early release of Monster Hunter World, Xbox didn't, and Sony paid Capcom again for early Monster Hunter Rise, and you bet the next awesome release of Monster Hunter will still release on Sony first while Xbox is still sitting around buying studios and hope their strategy works. Xbox cpuld literally pay these srudios too, but no, their selling points are still "our plastic is better than their plastic", 3 generations and they still don't learn.

Say what you want about Sony's practices, but Xbox makes worse decisions.
The problem with that, is sony have been early to the business, and have stablished relationship, compared to xbox.

Gamepass is game changing for them. because that is revenou generating machine. Zenimax has more than studios. they have the Orion cloud, which helps their xcloud system. Their Engine is good for future games. Plus they gained more studio. They can give them money to do triple AAA games. Imagine ID with Microsoft money and new IP.

At the end of the end day, this e3 is their fruition of that purchase, with Starfield being the first big exclusive from bethesda.

I agree with you though. They should have done more 3rd party partnership. They managed to do asobo with flight simulator, and Ori 2 with moon studio. The more the better for them.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I was wondering if you'd shine your spotlight on the article+site and you did not disappoint.

Beyond the rubbish editorializing in that article, they can't even spell Hermen's name right yet they are often linked on GAF. I suppose games journalism is always bad until it provides ammo to the warriors, then suddenly it's gospel.

It's linked here often because a lot of their articles are sensationalist console warrior bait (like this one is) and GAF loves that. 😂

Top Bottom