• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s Spencer Sees Progress Toward Activision Deal Approval

Draugoth

Gold Member
Xbox's Phil Spencer is pleased with progress towards regulatory approval of the Activision deal, wants more cross-console play and fewer exclusives.

www.bloomberg.com

Fa7jieAWYAA_SBO
Fa7joXnUIAAn_D_

Phil Spencer tells Bloomberg he is seeing progress towards the Acti/Blizz deal approval "I will say the discussions we've been having seem positive" Also hopes for more cross-play among platforms & thinks we'll see fewer exclusive titles in the future. He says expects that console games are something "we're just going to see less and less of" in the future,

(This article is just an excerpt from an interview for Bloomberg Studio 1.0 which will be broadcast 9PM New York time)

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It should be noted that he's referring to console exclusives not exclusives between Xbox and PlayStation, because without platform exclusives it's going to be hard to draw consumers to there platform and services.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Always makes me laugh reading about the US and Unions but seeing the way the UK public are getting twisted over the trains maybe I shouldn’t be laughing at all.

Jaybe

He says expects that console games are something "we're just going to see less and less of" in the future,
Interesting they are dropping 70B with lower expectations of output.

Sirolf

Phil Spencer tells Bloomberg he is seeing progress towards the Acti/Blizz deal approval "I will say the discussions we've been having seem positive" Also hopes for more cross-play among platforms & thinks we'll see fewer exclusive titles in the future. He says expects that console games are something "we're just going to see less and less of" in the future,

Mmmh?? This is not written like that in the article.
He said "Console exclusives" not "Console Games"

Ozriel

M$FT
Terrible news all around, but oh well.

Excellent news for me as a Gamepass subscriber and consumer.

Phil Spencer talks a lot.
It's time for him to release games that will compete with Sony's blockbusters, and not tell another tale about the proximity of players and other nonsense.

He was asked a question about the acquisition. Why would he use that to announce and release games? What a weird comment.

When he's talking about fewer exclusives he must be talking about XBOX

Everything Playsation execs have said show a commitment to differentiate their console via exclusives. And I don't see that changing.

[/URL]

The full quote indicates he’s talking about games exclusive to one device. And he’s right. Not only will Microsoft games show up on PC and cloud streaming, but many of Sony’s exclusives - including most of the ones you cite - will also be coming to PC.

Simple.

solidus12

Take Two is the only big one left that would make sense. Maybe the ongoing crisis will take down their market cap to a degree that MS can snag them for pocket money.
They will eventually snag SIE, since Sony is broke and can’t afford to compete 👽

Dolodolo

He was asked a question about the acquisition. Why would he use that to announce and release games? What a weird comment.
Nobody cares about his marketing skills.
Everyone wonders why they don't have a single AAA game from their teams in their subscription this year.

People are interested in games that were shown two years ago using CGI, and it is not clear when they will be shown next.

This is what normal people are interested in, not some deal that will be approved anyway.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nobody cares about his marketing skills.
Everyone wonders why they don't have a single AAA game from their teams in their subscription this year.

People are interested in games that were shown two years ago using CGI, and it is not clear when they will be shown next.

This is what normal people are interested in, not some deal that will be approved anyway.

You realize that forums threads have titles, right? and you could see before clicking in that this was about the acquisition?

Why then are you trolling?

Nah, it’s just you. Everyone else knows it’s because two AAA games got delayed to 2023.

But you aren’t subscribed to Gamepass, so one wonders why you’re this concerned.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
While Microsoft is focused on completing the Activision acquisition, Spencer said he remains on the hunt for more content whether by investing in new games, partnerships or further deals. Xbox wants to add content and creators in the regions of the globe where it's less strong.

"I'm always thinking about things that add to our capability," he said. "Even though we've worked on our geographic expansion, I'd still say we have too many of our creators in places that are our traditional markets."

Papa Phil wants more acquisitions outside of US/EU.

Time to bring Capcom into the family.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
the fewer exclusives part could have been its own thread...

selena just saying GIF
It's not typed correctly. He's talking about fewer titles exclusive to one device. Currently Xbox basically already has zero games on just one device since they're on cloud and PC. So he's basically saying we're going to see less of that from everyone else, meaning Sony and third party publishers. And that's pretty much exactly what we're seeing. He's just describing what is happening with other companies.

Then he says he wants to get more content for Xbox from other countries/regions besides the west.

And he thinks the deal is going well with Activision so far.

That's about it. Not a lot of news. Just the same stuff he's said before.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
the fewer exclusives part could have been its own thread...

selena just saying GIF

Draugoth Draugoth

OP needs to edit it because its edited very misleadingly, this is the full quote, he's talking about fewer console exclusives and more cross play between the consoles.

Spencer, who has pledged to make Call of Duty available for the rival Sony PlayStation at least for some period of time, said the idea of games made exclusively for one device "is something we're just going to see less and less of."

Maybe you happen in your household to buy an Xbox and I buy a PlayStation and our kids want to play together and they can't because we bought the wrong piece of plastic to plug into our television," he said. "We really love to be able to bring more players in reducing friction, making people feel safe, secure when they're playing, allowing them to find their friends, play with their friends, regardless of what device — I think in the long run that is good for this industry. And maybe in the short run, there's some people in some companies that don't love it. But I think as we get over the hump and see where this industry can continue to grow, it proves out to be true."

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
When he's talking about fewer exclusives he must be talking about XBOX

Everything Playsation execs have said show a commitment to differentiate their console via exclusives. And I don't see that changing.

[/URL]
Other platforms including pc, mobile and streaming directly through your tv. But, there will always be exclusives to each ecosystem.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft are going 100% 3rd party

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Xbox already puts all their games on multiple devices. Spencer is basically commenting on what everyone else is doing as an industry collectively; Sony and third party publishers. Xbox already has zero device exclusives.
Cool.

My original gif comment was more how this thread will go based off what was in the OP. If y'all want to war about it, the gifs were apt due to knowing how these threads always go on here. Especially with a "Phil or Jim says"

Last edited:
Top Bottom