• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox ‘didn’t deliver’ on 2022’s Showcase, but Phil Spencer is ‘enthusiastic’ about this year’s

Sorcerer

I'm just going to put this out there

Microsoft's last roll of the dice is going to be to push their next console out 1 year - 6 months earlier than Sonys next console
And they still will launch that next gen console devoid of games. Microsoft is a racing car with no wheels and no engine. LOL!!!

SaucyJack

2qAnQG7.jpg

Will be seeing some of these and new games announced, looking forward to it.

Upcoming when though?

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Starfield is, and I really hope it is a top tier Bethesda game.

But how can you be hyped for games that were announced 3 or 4 years ago and still don’t appear to be imminent. How can you be hyped for games that have shown no gameplay?

TES VI could well end up being next generation at Bethesda pace FFS.

They missed out on meeting the release schedule that they outlined in their showcase.
One thing Microsoft has done wrong is trying to give people what they want.
People had been complaining that they were sick of seeing CGI trailers for games that were five years away from release, and they wanted to see more gameplay footage of the game that were due to come out soon.
So, to address this they made a show with games that were thought to be released in the next 12 months.

Well, turns out that nearly everyone of them didn't make the next 12 months.
In hindsight it didn't work, and Microsoft are now going to go back to the format that everyone raved about back in 2020.

It's obvious that Phil is confident because he knows what is going to be in it.
Let's just have a guess at what could well be in it.
Hellblade 2, and release date reveal.
Avowed gameplay
State of Decay 3 gameplay.
Project Midnight from Compulsion
Project Cobalt from InXile.
Everwild information
Contraband gameplay.
Indiana Jones Gameplay
Fable gameplay
Gears remaster collection
Ids new game reveal
Zenimax Onlines new game
Maybe another couple of games as well.

Something like that would be amazing.

Ar¢tos

They missed out on meeting the release schedule that they outlined in their showcase.
People had been complaining that they were sick of seeing CGI trailers for games that were five years away from release, and they wanted to see more gameplay footage of the game that were due to come out soon.
So, to address this they made a show with games that were thought to be released in the next 12 months.

In hindsight it didn't work, and Microsoft are now going to go back to the format that everyone raved about back in 2020.

It's obvious that Phil is confident because he knows what is going to be in it.
Let's just have a guess at what could well be in it.
Hellblade 2, and release date reveal.
Avowed gameplay
State of Decay 3 gameplay.
Project Midnight from Compulsion
Project Cobalt from InXile.
Everwild information
Contraband gameplay.
Indiana Jones Gameplay
Fable gameplay
Gears remaster collection
Ids new game reveal
Zenimax Onlines new game
Maybe another couple of games as well.

Something like that would be amazing.
Phil is confident because it is his job to appear confident.
He has been confident since 2014 that the next year will be the best year for Xbox...

kuncol02

Banned

Actually most of them was released in that 12 months. Except like 4 games. Shame that was games that people waited for (Starfield, Forza and Stalker).

Phil is confident because it is his job to appear confident.
He has been confident since 2014 that the next year will be the best year for Xbox...
Microsoft have an internal roadmap, and have a distinct plan for what they are doing. It doesn't matter that we arnt aware of what it is.
Do you honestly think Microsoft was going to shell out 69 billion, their biggest ever aquisition, on something that they wernt happy the direction of? If you think MS was going to shell out that amount of money just to try and beat Sony in console sales, then you arnt thinking right.

Microsoft thinks long term. They are doing things now to pay off in 10 years time.
Now, do you honestly think that Satya is going to sack Phil because Redfall got average reviews? Honestly? Nah, there is bigger things at play than Redfall.

Markio128

Microsoft have an internal roadmap, and have a distinct plan for what they are doing. It doesn't matter that we arnt aware of what it is.
Do you honestly think Microsoft was going to shell out 69 billion, their biggest ever aquisition, on something that they wernt happy the direction of? If you think MS was going to shell out that amount of money just to try and beat Sony in console sales, then you arnt thinking right.

Microsoft thinks long term. They are doing things now to pay off in 10 years time.
Now, do you honestly think that Satya is going to sack Phil because Redfall got average reviews? Honestly? Nah, there is bigger things at play than Redfall.
So what you’re saying is that this current clusterfuck was their plan all along 10 years ago? 😂

Ar¢tos

Long term as in 20+ years before we see any results?

Riky

$MSFT
Upcoming when though?

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Starfield is, and I really hope it is a top tier Bethesda game.

But how can you be hyped for games that were announced 3 or 4 years ago and still don’t appear to be imminent. How can you be hyped for games that have shown no gameplay?

TES VI could well end up being next generation at Bethesda pace FFS.

Quite easily when the showcase is next month which will answer some of those questions.

It’s like 90% of this forum only remembers the bad with Xbox. 2021 “doesn’t count”. The well reviewed games “don’t count” let’s only focus on redfall

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to Indiana Jones, Fable and Elder Scrolls 6. So lots of good stuff to look forward to in the next 3 to 8 years.

A Forza the dreadful Halo Infinite and indies am I missing something?
A lot, but I’m sure they “don’t count” . And AA and indie are too different things.

And dreadful games don’t review that well and win goty’s. Halo’s issue was post launch support

But going by your avi and comment, you won’t be reasonable or realistic at all

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
A lot, but I’m sure they “don’t count” . And AA and indie are too different things.

And dreadful games don’t review that well and win goty’s. Halo’s issue was post launch support

Halo came out fucking incomplete. It was an early access game in everything but title. Fuck that, dont care that the gameplay was solid. The campaign was a major step down from what was initially promised and it was missing key features for almost a year. Not feeling sorry for devs
Who had six years to get their shit together and still couldnt release a complete game

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
AAA are what sell consoles. AA, A, and Indie are great, but aren't why people buy into a system.

Halo's issue was that it was wholly unifnished. It had one single biome, a bland world filled with generic Ubisoft style content, an awful campaign, no firefight mode at launch, no coop, its MP was removed and repackaged as a barely functional barely supported MTX driven trashfire.

When games 15 years ago came out with more content, better stories, and better gunplay - you fucked up.

And going by your comment, you like to defend Xbox instead of taking them to task for releasing mediocrity and constantly giving people false promises.

You want a better system? Hold them accountable.

Long term as in 20+ years before we see any results?
Really? I know it's cool and all to shit on Xbox on Gaf, but reality will Trump trolling.

You do know that MS owns 21 game studios? And you do know that these studios have around 28 separate teams working on individual games yeah? And you do know that Xbox Game Publishing is working with other AAA, AA and Indie studios to bring exclusive games to Xbox yeah?
And while it's fun to say xbox has no games, you do know these games are going to drop sooner rather than later?
Gamers are fickle, and things change quick. We saw this with MS going from champagne after HiFi to Shit after Redfall.
Maybe when these games start dropping, and PS players are getting their 5th GAAS game out of 12 dropped on their console, it might be a very different conversation.

bender

What time is it?
Really? I know it's cool and all to shit on Xbox on Gaf, but reality will Trump trolling.

You do know that MS owns 21 game studios? And you do know that these studios have around 28 separate teams working on individual games yeah? And you do know that Xbox Game Publishing is working with other AAA, AA and Indie studios to bring exclusive games to Xbox yeah?
And while it's fun to say xbox has no games, you do know these games are going to drop sooner rather than later?
Gamers are fickle, and things change quick. We saw this with MS going from champagne after HiFi to Shit after Redfall.
Maybe when these games start dropping, and PS players are getting their 5th GAAS game out of 12 dropped on their console, it might be a very different conversation.
OrganicMadeupAngora-size_restricted.gif

TransTrender

Gold Member

Show me

Forza and.................. Forza don't quite cut it these days

Ar¢tos

You get paid per sentence or per post?

Quantum253

Xbox lost its magic towards the end of the 360 era. I don't know what happened, its like they revolutionized the landscape with IPs like Gears, and then just stopped. For the past 10 years they have had nothing that jumps out to players to make you actually say "Yeah, its worth buying a Xbox for that".
What was the last have to have, Only on Xbox, title? Forza Horizon 5, the Master Chief Collection? Or do you have to go back to Xbox One with Sunset OverDrive, Gears of War, or something 3/5 years ago?

Mr.Phoenix

Arent we past hyping anything Xbox at this point? MS has always been able to put on a show. Aways about to have the best year in gaming.

I think with their current track record, what they show is completely irrelevant now, when and what state it's in when released is the only thing that matters to me now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So what's the cluster fuck?
Redfall bombed?
The cluster fuck is
  • console sales down 30%
  • their 18 month long attempt to close the ABK deal is dead in the water courtesy of the CMA
  • Redfall, their first AAA release since Halo Infinite in 2021, being one of the worst first party games ever released
  • the revelation from Phil that Xbox don’t properly integrate their new studios when they are part way through a project
  • the revelation from Phil that their internal reviewing team isn’t fit for purpose
  • the revelation from Phil that they don’t set out Xbox’s expectations to their new studios
  • the revelation from Phil that they were too late in offering engine support to Arkane from Rare and The Coalition

Varteras

Gold Member
The cluster fuck is
  • console sales down 30%
  • their 18 month long attempt to close the ABK deal is dead in the water courtesy of the CMA
  • Redfall, their first AAA release since Halo Infinite in 2021, being one of the worst first party games ever released
  • the revelation from Phil that Xbox don’t properly integrate their new studios when they are part way through a project
  • the revelation from Phil that their internal reviewing team isn’t fit for purpose
  • the revelation from Phil that they don’t set out Xbox’s expectations to their new studios
  • the revelation from Phil that they were too late in offering engine support to Arkane from Rare and The Coalition

All of this, on top of an abject failure over the last 10+ years to provide their customers with games at a rate and impact anywhere near their competitors.

penguininthesun

Neo Member
2qAnQG7.jpg

Will be seeing some of these and new games announced, looking forward to it.
Honestly, as someone who only has a PS5, I look at this lineup and I get quite excited. I feel like any one of Starfield, Fable, Hellblade 2, or Indiana Jones can sell me a Series X if they're good. Everwild looks intriguing too. It's kind of sad to see the Xbox brand going through a rough patch right now, but there's so much potential in these titles. Like even though that Redfall game looked like hot garbage (no offense) based on the videos I saw, I feel like the vibe they were going for was really interesting. Xbox has some good ideas, but so far the execution is lacking. Hopefully all the stinkers are out of their system now, and they can string together some hits soon.

gow3isben

Bro it had good gunplay and funny enemy dialogue but that world was so bland and monotonous. Tasks were repetitive. Graphics were mid and story was mid. Multiplayer was a shame on Halo's history.

I've been seeing this exact same post for years on gaf. Always the same regurgitated damage control about how many studios there is and the games are coming.

Always by the same Phil fanatics too.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Exactly, nothing has been cancelled to my knowledge. It was good to see Spencer In that blunt interview state that things are finally lining up for the release a quarter they are aiming for. So with Hi Fi Rush, Redfall, Ghostwrire, Starfield and Forza this year then 2024 could see Hellblade 2 and Avowed for starters, so we'll see them for sure.
More to announce as well and we're looking at big AAA studios like id and The Coalition who have nothing announced. Must have learnt their lesson from announcing too early so when their games are announced the time frame to players will be shorter.
It is pretty much make or break trust wise for Spencer next month and he obviously knows that.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Halo's issue was that it was wholly unifnished. It had one single biome, a bland world filled with generic Ubisoft style content, an awful campaign, no firefight mode at launch, no coop, its MP was removed and repackaged as a barely functional barely supported MTX driven trashfire.
What a load of rubbish. I play it regularly with a bunch of people. It's a good game.

Halo infinite's campaign was not awful. The multiplayer is the best Halo has ever been.

As a package, Halo Infinite shipped an excellent multiplayer with a decent number maps, and a great campaign. Any other game, that'd be perfect. Post launch they added more maps, the best forge there ever has been. It took a while to bring more maps and forge, people including me felt it took too long for more maps to come along. This is not a problem now.

Riky

$MSFT
What a load of rubbish. I play it regularly with a bunch of people. It's a good game.

Halo infinite's campaign was not awful. The multiplayer is the best Halo has ever been.

As a package, Halo Infinite shipped an excellent multiplayer with a decent number maps, and a great campaign. Any other game, that'd be perfect. Post launch they added more maps, the best forge there ever has been. It took a while to bring more maps and forge, people including me felt it took too long for more maps to come along. This is not a problem now.
It's in a great state now, like you say. If it had launched in this condition the narrative would have been very different. Not many new AAA games run at 120fps on console even on Series S, especially open world ones. It's also much better on PC as even my aging rig runs it well.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

If that were the case, Microsoft would be happy with Halo and 343i.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/e...s-disappointment-with-halo-infinites-failure/

The cluster fuck is
  • console sales down 30%
Anyone else feel like Activision acquisition was a "hail Mary" last ditch attempt? Like launching a nuke when you're losing.

Top Bottom