• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox and Bethesda Developer Direct 25th January (8pm UK / 3pm ET / 12pm PT)

AngelMuffin

Larry David Reaction GIF

Nubulax

I don't think its near ready and starting to get a feeling its sliding to 2024 listening to people
If Forza and Starfield are late 2023 or possibly 2024... I dont even know what to say about MS and Xbox if thats the case...... THREE YEARS since launch and what has been out til that point (if it is late 2023) for actual larger games that have some hype to them. It took them a year to get Halo and Forza out after launch and then basically a barren 2022 with some few smaller titles here and there.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
If Forza and Starfield are late 2023 or possibly 2024... I dont even know what to say about MS and Xbox if thats the case...... THREE YEARS since launch and what has been out til that point (if it is late 2023) for actual larger games that have some hype to them. It took them a year to get Halo and Forza out after launch and then basically a barren 2022 with some few smaller titles here and there.
Can you and all other kids shut the fuck up? no one cares. you guys act like exclusives are the only games available. jesus christ. trust me casual gamers would not miss one exclusive if you get rid of them all at once. Nobody fucking cares. these are games every few years that get played through once than the people play their usual fifa, cod, assaassin, far cry, cs go, monster hunter or whatever. these exclusives make not even 1/100 of the playtime in relation to other games.

You guys make the forum toxic or how you kids call that shit behaviour.

Freeza93

Banned
Pot meet Kettle. You have been removed from the thread for the childish outbursts .
Lookout the first on my ignore list. You are here since 2013 so i assume you are an adult(well…) and are saying such nonsense. Congratulations you are even more embarrassing than the console warring kids.

Nubulax

Can you and all other kids shut the fuck up? no one cares. you guys act like exclusives are the only games available. jesus christ. trust me casual gamers would not miss one exclusive if you get rid of them all at once. Nobody fucking cares. these are games every few years that get played through once than the people play their usual fifa, cod, assaassin, far cry, cs go, monster hunter or whatever. these exclusives make not even 1/100 of the playtime in relation to other games.

Im not sure what exactly is toxic about actually having some expectations that MS actually release some AAA games in the first THREE years of the console. YOUR post was toxic af and shit behavior. There is still a Forza show and Starfield standalone show I believe which might both have dates but if they do fall into late 2023 that means they also blatantly lied to everyone on their E3 show about everything in the show coming in 12 months. People really going to sit here and tell me that after that whole 2022 year they are perfectly content with Starfield and Forza Motorsport basically being ANOTHER year out, if that is the case.

Last edited:

tmlDan

People have differing opinions, don't act out like a baby.

Maybe they only like triple A new IP's, of which third party has been lacking and look to MS to provide....something.

Freeza93

Banned
Im not sure what exactly is toxic about actually having some expectations that MS actually release some AAA games in the first THREE years of the console. Your post was toxic af and shit behavior. There is still a Forza show and Starfield standalone show I believe which might both have dates but if they do fall into late 2023 that means they also blatantly lied to everyone on their E3 show about everything in the show coming in 12 months. People really going to sit here and tell me that after that whole 2022 year they are perfectly content with Starfield and Forza Motorsport basically being ANOTHER year out, if that is the case.
If you feel like they lied to you. Simply dont give them your money and dont talk about them. ( talking is free advertising, there is no bad publicity). its that simple.

Also Ms is a multitrillion dollar company. even if they would close the whole xbox division. that would be like a fart in the wind for them. i mean the considered it years ago.

tmlDan

Yes low key insulting is a nice discussion culture.
Sometimes you have to ignore it and move on lol

I realized from the GOTY's that most people only play the few big games a year (sadly) despite this being an enthusiast forum.

It's not toxic to have a different opinion

Topher

Gold Member
Enough bullshit.....back to the showcase.

What do folks rate the showcase?

I'd give it a solid B. Mainly on the back of announcing and releasing a new game all at once. That was cool as hell. Also it was good to get some firm release dates for a couple of games, although Forza seems to have slipped to end of year. It was by no means a mega-ton show but it was well-done.

twilo99

Do you like single player games better than MMOs? Start with Skyrim.
Do you like MMOs better than single player games? Start with the base game of The Elder Scrolls Online.

All these "expansions" for ESO are neat but are 100% optional. ESO is weird in the way that you can have the "main quest" for each expansion active at once - so all they really do is unlock new areas, new quests, and some new classes. If you want to get the most bang for your buck, you can buy the latest chapter (currently High Isle) which comes with all the previous chapters (Morrowind, Summerset, Elsweyr, Greymoor, and Blackwood). There are other smaller zone DLCs you can buy, but I'd recommend just playing the base game first and deciding later which ones you want.

Thank you! That makes more sense now.

I might consider playing the base game after I finish Crysis

Zones

If exclusives (like Starfield) are that insignificant, why exactly MS paid $7.5 billion to secure the exclusivity of those games?

supernova8

Banned
Overall: 6.9/10

Was fine given that they tempered expectations but I was hoping for at least a little "one more thing" at the end.

Video format is much better. Still a little too much "telling" versus "showing" but in the right direction.
Also I fucking hate that stupid thing where they do a cut to the side of the person speaking and looking at a different camera.

Minecraft Legends - nope
Forza Motorsport - looks nice but not that impressive given that they've dropped support for last gen consoles. Also not sure why it's taking so long when GT7 has been out for almost an entire year (and looks comparable graphically despite being cross-gen lol)
Hi-Fi Rush: "Yep that's me... aaaaand you're probably wondering how I ended up here" - I'm going to assume that was actually a subtle dig at Forspoken (if so, nice lol). Game itself looks cool. Cel-shading looks great. No complaints at all.
ESO: not interested at all but seems to be fine. No complaints.
Redfall: Still not convinced at all.

Nubulax

I'd give it a solid B. Mainly on the back of announcing and releasing a new game all at once. That was cool as hell. Also it was good to get some firm release dates for a couple of games, although Forza seems to have slipped to end of year. It was by no means a mega-ton show but it was well-done.

True, I think I stand about same as you with a B. The format was really good, they should stick with that going forward with actual Devs. Its also always nice to have set expectations going in on what is going to be mostly shown. I think HI-FI Rush will be viewed positively but I do wonder how long the game is and why did it have to be a rhythm game :/, the style and look are A+ though

Minecraft Legends - I actually think the gameplay loop could make for a fun game but seems a bit different than just base minecraft obv, not sure how the minecraft community feels about it. I would love to have something simliar to this in a Command and Conquer type graphics/setting or even something like the Halo IP with a similar gameplay loop would be awesome imo. For anyone who plays WOW... some of that is what I had imagined Warfronts could be a few years back.
Forza Motorsport - Looks like Typical Forza, def looks good for the overall package but depends on how it feels to drive when playing it I suppose.
Hi-Fi Rush: Prob the standout of the show, we need more cell shaded games.
ESO: Im into WOW AND FF14 so not looking to add another MMO to my list. Having everything for a limited time for expansions seems like a good time for someone jumping back in or new. I know for WOW and FF14 if you buy the latest expansion you get all the previous ones for free anyway, not sure how it works with ESO.
Redfall: It just looks... OK.... Its solid, maybe above average. Kind of feel same way about this one as I did Deathloop

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
If exclusives (like Starfield) are that insignificant, why exactly MS paid $7.5 billion to secure the exclusivity of those games?
They bought a Studio. Not a single game. And 7 billion is for microsoft nothing at all. They are all buying studios since the beginning of time.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

B+ for me. They did what they said they were going to do and we got some release dates.

I thought the Minecraft game actually looks like a lot of fun and Redfall is looking better and better.

Forza looks amazing, but waiting to see what they have in store for a career mode before getting too excited.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

B as well and honestly could have been an A for me if we would have gotten a Forza release date, maybe tomorrow

Xbox set the expectations of what would be shown and snuck in a stealth drop

Loved the format listening to the people making the games and not Xbox people spewing PR

Zones

They bought a Studio. Not a single game. And 7 billion is for microsoft nothing at all. They are all buying studios since the beginning of time.
Except it counters your own argument, but I see you have no actual answer so you’re trying to deflect the points that you yourself brought up.

TLZ

Banned
Watched it. Going to give it a C. Only game interested in is Hi Fi. I also don't like it when there's too much talking in these videos. I honestly don't care. Don't tell me your life story. That won't make the game any better. Showing me the game is enough for me to judge. I prefer Nintendo's and PS's way.

bender

What time is it?
Sometimes you have to ignore it and move on lol

I realized from the GOTY's that most people only play the few big games a year (sadly) despite this being an enthusiast forum.

It's not toxic to have a different opinion

Only a few of us were brave enough to include Windjammers 2 on our GOTY lists. We are a proud few but at least we aren't filthy casuals.

clarky

Gold Member

Agreed on all counts.

Forza looked amazing but its looking like an Q3 game at the very least. disappointing, but i'd rather wait than release something that's not ready. Bring back crunch i say, this new way fucking sucks.

Topher

Gold Member
B as well and honestly could have been an A for me if we would have gotten a Forza release date, maybe tomorrow

Loved the format listening to the people making the games and not Xbox people spewing PR

Agree 100% on the dev-centric showcase. That was really cool seeing the regular working folks talk about their games.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I would like to have whatever the folks claiming this was a great direct is smoking.

This was a D and the only redeeming factor of this entire direct was the one game that most people didn't see coming with a shadow drop for today.

Minecraft Legends just looks bad. Forza (maybe their own streams are better?) continues to give me zero reason to be excited. Why should I care that they put all these attentions to detail in things that I will never once see or notice when driving at 90 miles per hour in the middle of a race? What are the changes to the career? How will progression work? These are details more important than blades of grass!

ESO continues to be a thing that exists and I am glad it gets more stuff, but given what long time players have said about the increasingly less content added and more MTX - I never bothered to try it. Maybe someone here can tell me if it is actually worth it over FFXIV. It looks like a bad Elder Scrolls game and a mediocre Freemium MMO to me from what my friends have said. But I am always ready to try a new RPG.

RedFall continues to give me mixed signals and lack of coherent idea of how the game plays. Monsters look like bullet sponges. Animations look jank. Environments look rather bland in the video. Fidelity looks low (but that very well could have been due to the stream quality). I will give it a try on GamePass, but they have continued to fail to sell this game IMO.

Hi-Fi RUSH though? God damn that looks so good! Reminds me of the early 2000s in all the right ways. Perfect cartoony look, excellent animations, fantastic soundtrack - doesn't seem like some bland and bloated open world adventure or GAAS bullshit. It looks like the exact kind of game that would have released on the original Xbox and I looooove that (in terms of style and design, not graphically - it clearly looks like a modern game). Still waiting for it to download so I can try it out.

DaGwaphics

I was really glad they didn't go with a "host personality" and just used the little storyboard to cut between segments, the hosts they get for their small little shows are always so bad (hate to say it, but it's true).

Sarah Bond and Spencer do okay, but they only break them out for the big E3 shows. LOL

C for me personally. I’m excited about Forza but I don’t give a shit about Elder Scrolls or Minecraft. Redfall could be interesting but it doesn’t look great to me and that shadow drop game looks like ass IMO.

RickMasters

Not bad at all MS!

Hifi rush came out of nowhere. I had to pause the presentation and go download it! Iwas sitting there thinking....."yeah Ill check this out when it comes out" and then BAM! .....well thats my kind of suprise! remids me of sunset overdrive.... I woirk in the music biz and music is also a hobby of mine aswell as a profeesion so it hit all the right notes for me...pun intended.

Forza is a must for me. big fan since forza 2. 500 cars is great....20 tracks has me wondering how many of my faves they actually brought back because 20 seems small nowadays.

Redfall is som,ething I already know im gonna love playing with my freinds and my brother. mine craft legends is something ill seems like fun to play with my two nephews

ESO online seems like a really big game these days...so big I may never find the time to play it. but good to see that game getting supported with some heavy looking content

What I would have liked to have seen also:

perfect dark
hell blade 2
avowed
whatever the hell rare have been up to...its been goodf seeing them turn back into a proper game studio after all those years of kinect shovel wanted and that banjo game that none of us wanted ( when they but ABK, I would love to see some multiverse type game featuring banjo& kazzoie, conker, spyro and crash.....)
What have their other studios been up to? a lot of radio silence since some of those acquisitions

I want to say I would like to have seen a few teasers too but we know how that could turn out......

Robb

Gold Member
Didn’t really know what to expect of the format but I liked it. Wouldn’t mind getting more of these updates over the year.

Getting Hi-Fi Rush released day and date was also a very nice surprise. Will definitely try that one out.

Hopefully the next presentation will include more titles I’m actually interested in though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
8.5 out of 10 for the show. Awesome new game announcement and shadow drop is some top tier stuff and then the show delivered exactly what they said it would...minus a release date for forza so I've shaved 0.5 off.

All games look great and I'm now super excited for 2023 at xbox. They are delivering after an absolutely shite 2022.

If they get starfield out first half and hit me with another one or two of these surprises like HI FI Rush it's going to be a top tier year for xbox.

They deffo closing xbox down soon.

BabyYoda

Banned
Even more interested in Redfall now, Prey was one of my faves of last gen, so always expected at least a very good game, maybe great.

Forza isn't my cup of tea, but looks truly next gen and easily the best looking racing game I've ever seen.

HiFi Rush was a cool surprise, will defo give it a spin at some point.

Kinda skipped over the other two tbh...

Good show overall, 8/10

Last edited:

Markio128

I give it a didn’t watch it/10, but that’s only because Man U were playing at the time. I’ve since watched the separate videos for the 3 main games shown. I can only muster an ‘okay’ for Redfall, but that’s mostly due to the average looking visuals, so it could be a good game - not really my cup of tea though. Forza looks great - though the overly enthusiastic commentary was irksome - and some of the excitement for that game has been dampened by the fact I’ll be playing GT7 in VR in less than a month.

Hi-Fi Rush looks pretty cool, so nice surprise there. I’d say 7/10 in retrospect based on what I’ve seen (and expectations in check) - could be an 8 if Forza was given a release date.

Saber

Gold Member
I actually really like Forza but I have to totally agree with the general sentiment...why so much attention to details that does not interest me in the slightest? The cars looks gorgeous, I like that. But why do I want to look at every pixel of the ground? Or the pixels of the mountains?
It feels more like they want to appease graphic fetishes than actually deliver a game...I just hope its a fun car game where I can look at the beauty of the car(btw I'm fine with the details of the cars).

The rest of the presentation do not interested me at all. Specially this High whatever...looks like one of those games "trying hard" to be cool. Not a huge fan.

Also damn sad about the roadmap, wish to see Indiana Jones and Fable sooner...

Barakov

Gold Member

I'd give it a B as well. Forza, Hi-Fi Rush looks great. I was kinda iffy on Red Fall when it was announced but the gameplay footage sold me on it. It has that 2008 shooter vibe to it which I dig.

Top Bottom