• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox and Elden Ring top the charts in busy March | UK Monthy Report

Godot25

Banned
Why? It came out in February and is still top ten (9th) on the chart in March. It's selling better than Kirby on launch in March.
Don't want to be nitpicky but I'm not sure HFW sold better then Kirby, because Nintendo does not provide digital sales. With those I'm positive it would jump ahead of HFW.

Three

Don't want to be nitpicky but I'm not sure HFW sold better then Kirby, because Nintendo does not provide digital sales. With those I'm positive it would jump ahead of HFW.
Nintendo doesn't have high digital sales but maybe. I mean just below Pokemon and above Kirby isn't a bad place to be. It's how much you would expect single platform exclusives to sell. I bet on the PS charts it's top 5 in march still.

Godot25

Banned
Nintendo doesn't have high digital sales but maybe. I mean just below Pokemon and above Kirby isn't a bad place to be. It's how much you would expect single platform exclusives to sell. I bet on the PS charts it's top 5 in march still.
On PS Store in march it was
8th in US/CA, 9th in EU on PS5
10th in US/CA, 18th in EU on PS4

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
This must be so annoying for Sony. Can’t make enough PS5’s to sell anything. They’re now millions behind PS4.

How long this is going to go on before stock issues causes Xbox to pass PS5 in sales.....

That would be a sad and hilarious conundrum.

Godot25

Banned
This must be so annoying for Sony. Can’t make enough PS5’s to sell anything. They’re now millions behind PS4.

How long this is going to go on before stock issues causes Xbox to pass PS5 in sales.....

I don't think Xbox will overtake PS5 worldwide.

But i really think that this chip shortage helped Microsoft immensely. They can get their shit together in terms of first-party output while still selling huge amount of consoles. Meanwhile Sony made two bangers in last two months and it did not made a difference because there were no new consoles to be sold.

reksveks

A while if ever globally.

I think it might get 50/50 in the US though in the next couple of months.

Last edited:

tommib

Series X is now widely available with 1 day delivery in the Netherlands and Portugal. This is going to hurt PS5 really bad. It already is hurting.

I’ve been saying since forever that people eager to get into next-gen will grab what they can. There’s a lot of frustrated gamers trying to get a PS5. With the appeal of gamepass, a lot of people will give up and go for Xbox.

It’s a fun and unpredictable generation.

JaksGhost

Did we skip over the fact that only 112K consoles were sold combined for the month. Also using countries like Portugal that sale in the low, low thousands as an example of global disparity is hilarious.

Last edited:

They are like 5M apart if not more...i don't think Sony will allow for that to happen and they will probably need to pay something extra to increase production. They will probably talk about that on their call in a month from now. They can't just say "we'll be producing 2M consoles per trimester". That would be a disaster, lmao.

On Demand

Banned

But i really think that this chip shortage helped Microsoft immensely. They can get their shit together in terms of first-party output while still selling huge amount of consoles. Meanwhile Sony made two bangers in last two months and it did not made a difference because there were no new consoles to be sold.

A while if ever globally.

I think it might get 50/50 in the US though in the next couple of months.

I don’t think so world wild either but the chip shortages is so bad I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

The shortages is definitely helping Xbox. PS5 is suppose to be well over 20M sold by now.

On Demand

Banned
They are like 5M apart if not more...i don't think Sony will allow for that to happen and they will probably need to pay something extra to increase production. They will probably talk about that on their call in a month from now. They can't just say "we'll be producing 2M consoles per trimester". That would be a disaster, lmao.

Some people don’t even think they shipped the 2M they said this quarter ending March 31st. Which would be crazy.

They might not want to allow Xbox to pass them, but what can they do about the chip issue? They really need to find ways to ramp up production immediately.

Some people don’t even think they shipped the 2M they said this quarter ending March 31st. Which would be crazy.

They might not want to allow Xbox to pass them, but what can they do about the chip issue? They really need to find ways to ramp up production immediately.
Do what everyone else does. Pay more to "skip" some waiting lines. Apple does it, MS does it. I'm sure others do it.

They make money out of subscriptions, they will want those units out there. Even if they have games releasing on PC that's not where their money is at, it's subscriptions.

They aren't buying all these studios only for the games to sell for 3 weeks before falling off a cliff.

I noticed they usually do these by quarters. There have been quarters that Sony had more units available than MS...this past quarter it was the opposite.
Who knows what's gonna happen for the next 12 months...

On Demand

Banned
Do what everyone else does. Pay more to "skip" some waiting lines. Apple does it, MS does it. I'm sure others do it.

They make money out of subscriptions, they will want those units out there. Even if they have games releasing on PC that's not where their money is at, it's subscriptions.

They aren't buying all these studios only for the games to sell for 3 weeks before falling off a cliff.

I noticed they usually do these by quarters. There have been quarters that Sony had more units available than MS...this past quarter it was the opposite.
Who knows what's gonna happen for the next 12 months...

They did say after March that stock will get better. They’re also keeping the 22.6M PS5 sales forecast for the year. So I hope they did just that and got more supply. The market leader with the most demanded console should not be getting outbid for chips.

They did say after March that stock will get better. They’re also keeping the 22.6M PS5 sales forecast for the year. So I hope they did just that and got more supply. The market leader with the most demanded console should not be getting outbid for chips.
MS also has a factory in Mexico, which Sony doesn't. That, plus Xbox Series S are 2 things Sony doesn't have.

ManaByte

LOL Nintendo fanboys exited the console war when Nintendo no longer want to compete with Playstation and Xbox on power and graphics
so there nothing left for the Nintendo fanboys to argue over that why you see only Playstation vs Xbox fanboys nowdays
hell even the PC fanboys have exited the war to :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Sony and Microsoft are just fighting it out for second place. All this shitting on Nintendo’s “power” and people forget that the Switch is becoming the highest selling console of all time and the Japanese gaming market basically is just Nintendo now.

On Demand

Banned
Did we skip over the fact that only 112K consoles were sold combined for the month. Also using countries like Portugal that sale in the low, low thousands as an example of global disparity is hilarious.

I must of missed this. Where does it say that?

Still, chip shortages is affecting PS5 sales potential a lot.

tommib

It's not even just a really attractive alternative for someone who can't find a ps5. I had a ps5. Sold it. Kept my xsx. It's a really fantastic console, period.
I had a series S. Sold it. Kept my PS5. It’s such an amazing console. What’s your point?

The issue here is people not being able to buy the PS5. It’s not about buying all consoles and then deciding which one to keep. 🙄

Lognor

Banned
I had a series S. Sold it. Kept my PS5. It’s such an amazing console. What’s your point?

The issue here is people not being able to buy the PS5. It’s not about buying all consoles and then deciding which one to keep. 🙄
The "issue" as to why the XSX is selling well is because people are not able to buy a PS5? No, no it's not. The XSX is selling well because it's a fantastic console. The PS5 is selling poorly because Sony is having severe supply issues. Those are the facts.

Yeah it's weak all around. Only 112k for all consoles combined.

reksveks

I just summed up the spanish sales numbers; that was 40k for the first 4 weeks of march (which is what this is technically looking at)

Is ~2.8 the normal ratio between UK and Spain?

Wouldn't surprise me to see 360 era again, Xbox winning UK and US Playstation winning rest of world.
If Series S can drop £50 in price or get a larger storage option then that will start to fly off shelves too.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Wouldn't surprise me to see 360 era again, Xbox winning UK and US Playstation winning rest of world.
If Series S can drop £50 in price or get a larger storage option then that will start to fly off shelves too.
series S has always been easy to get hold of and series X is easier to get now while the PS5 is still difficult to find. MS putting out the series S was a masterstroke. that shit has been available 99% of the time since it launched while people struggled to get a series X or PS5.

i said it before but if this continues then MS is in a position to drop prices and maybe even introduce a newer model.

they could drop prices to £200 for series S and £350-75 for series X. that'd make the series S only slight more than a Switch Lite (~£190-200) and the series X the same or slightly more than an all digital PS5 (£350). if this continues into late 2022 or into 2023 then MS could put out a new more powerful "series Z". the rumors are already beginning about a future hardware revision. if they bring that out a console more powerful than series X at £450, or even £500, then that will be a huge disadvantage to PS5.

sony need to push to make the PS5 more accessible by any means possible. doesn't matter how they go about it they need to do it if they want to stop MS gaining ground.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Honestly, cpu seems to be more readily available and obviously the series S and now X seems to be ramping up. I'm starting to think there's some other issues with ps5 manufacturing. Like maybe the memory, ssd or WiFi 6 cards or something that's holding up production. I have no idea.

ethomaz

Banned

It won’t even in UK.
The difference is too big.

Xbox is being the best selling console in the month doesn’t tell the whole story… all consoles are down compared to last year… the hardware sales this year are being pitiful.

Last edited:

Goalus

It won’t even in UK.

Xbox is being the best selling console in the month doesn’t tell the whole story… all consoles are down compared to last year… the hardware sales this year are being pitiful.
We don't know if all consoles are down yoy. We only know that all consoles together are down compared to all consoles together last year.

I can't see PS5 selling over 100m without a strong showing in the UK and especially US. So I expect the PS5 to massively shoot up when the production is increased.

Also, why not just get to the point and give us the sales numbers? sick of all this percentage crap we get all the time. How much more units has xbox sold than ps5 so far this year? Does anyone know?

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
It won’t even in UK.

Considering Xbox lost 2,5:1 last gen even neck-to-neck sales this gen would be a huge win for Xbox. Especially since their business also covers PC which is less true for Sony.

Also I would not be surprised if Xbox is selling similar numbers in US as Sony. UK too. Europe is Playstation land as usual and in Japan there is only Switch.

ethomaz

Banned
YTD it's true, thanks.
Not true for March alone though.
Source?

BTW just do the math.
112k combined in March is down from 217,268 combined last year... 58% down YoY.

The chances to Xbox being up in March are very slim if it has any at all.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Considering Xbox lost 2,5:1 last gen even neck-to-neck sales this gen would be a huge win for Xbox. Especially since their business also covers PC which is less true for Sony.

Also I would not be surprised if Xbox is selling similar numbers in US as Sony. UK too. Europe is Playstation land as usual and in Japan there is only Switch.
In UK it was around 1.5:1 last gen and it is like the same now... 60:40 = 1.5:1.
US it was 1.2:1 or 1.3:1 last gen if I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Do we know how big the gap is 5 or 6 million? Serious question

ByWatterson

I think he means ‘close’ as in ‘games sell consoles’. And he expects Microsoft’s first party studio to hit their stride and come out with a lot of games down the line.

I expect the PS5 to comfortably outsell the Xbox Series consoles, but itll be much closer than last gen.

Yeah, I mean we saw last gen how important it is to establish an initial beachhead. Even if the Xbox advantage right now is only supply, it is helping Microsoft build up a big base of support, word of mouth, and mindshare.

Microsoft got blown out last time, but they didn't do "poorly" overall - and that was after a catastrophic launch.

I still expect Sony to sell more consoles, but Microsoft is in a much, much better position that they were in early 2015.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Sony has success in the UK.

bars GIF

leo-j

Great month for gaming in general. Even ps5 saw a 45 percent uplift over Feb, so they deffo got stock in for their big releases. 2022 is going to be crazy for hardware sales, I bet its going to be all over the place.

Looking forward to seeing what the companies make of this quarter on their earnings calls.
They had abysmal stock in Feb. Tragic numbers YOY. so the increase in March isn’t that big if you think about it.

Godot25

Banned
Lol. Do you seriously believe that?

Sony sold 2,5:1 when Microsoft had terrible overpriced box with terrible drm and messaging, underfunded Xbox division with first party in dire straits.

So now when they will have 30+ first party studios with Call of Duty, Overwatch, TES VI, Starfield and many games as exclusive or in GamePass, best sub service in gaming, better console and great service Sony will outsell them 2:1? 😂😂

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Just like it effected Xbox in the beginning. The market ebbs and flows off of who can get a higher chip supply that month.
I was going to say this. Xbox got blown out in the beginning of the gen due to having less production of the XSX which is what all the early adopters wanted and having to use a lot of what they did produce for xCloud blades. They're playing catch-up now that the xCloud upgrade has been completed and they can dedicate all their XSX stock to gamers.

Xbox is lucky they also made the Series S or they would have been totally blown out at the beginning of the generation.

Sony will likely ramp up production and go back to being #1 or #2 soon and Xbox will go back to #3.

Top Bottom