• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox and Samsung Team Up to bring Fortnite and many other games to all of Samsung's 2021 TVs. (new details)

https://www.sammyfans.com/2022/12/0...d-many-other-games-to-all-its-2021-smart-tvs/
Samsung collaborates with Xbox to bring Fortnite and many other games to all 2021 Samsung Smart TVs. This partnership also brings the Xbox app to more Samsung TVs, which will allow users to play games on a Smart TV with any Bluetooth controller.

Through this collaboration and bringing users new games like Fortnite, the companies are turning the normally limited console experience into a mobile and shareable experience.
ith the Xbox app connected to Samsung smart TVs, gamers will be able to play games without the need to connect a Bluetooth controller to the TV and load the disc into the console, which gaming expert Ninja showed off in an exclusive video clip at The Game Awards 2022.

In this video for TGA 2022, Ninja displays the new compatibility between the Xbox app and the Samsung Gaming Hub by exploring the latest chapter of Fortnite on his TV and discovering new island locations and vehicles, according to a press release by Samsung.

As Samsung collaborates with Xbox, Fortnite, which runs on Unreal Engine 5.1 will make its availability on all of last year’s Samsung Smart TVs, along with a ton of other games under Xbox Game Pass.

On the other side, Samsung earlier reported that existing Samsung customers will be able to access the same games through the Samsung Gaming Hub on 2022 Smart TVs and monitors by expanding the Gaming Hub to select 2021 Samsung Smart TVs.

I've been hearing from people who watched the TGA complain about the Samsung ads or something about Ninja so that news was kind of buried as a result. However, there are new details that have come out.

Microsoft will not just be upgrading their services for Samsung TV's in a partnership but they will also be bring several games and compatibility to all of Samsungs 2021 smart TV's.

For those who brought a Samsung smart TV last year and it's not optimized or enabled for the Xbox cloud or gamepass gaming experience that should be fixed eventually.

I myself don't really care about TV game and prefer a box but that's just me.

Last edited:

Beechos

Another step towards world domination. I believe this app is only avail on their high end tvs which considering the cost of those tvs the people who want to play games can just afford to buy a system. I guess for the casuals who dont one and want to try it on an impulse. Then again what casual would havr a bt controller laying around to pair.

Kuranghi

I'm able to dissuade customers from buying Samsung by simply attempting to use Tizen in front of them. Even though I know it pretty well some stupid ass thing happens every time I pick up the remote and show them it, I try my best to not make it look shite simple to use and every time I fail.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I have a 2021 Samsung so I'm gonna try this. Not a fan of streaming though so I'll probably continue to just use PC for the Xbox experience. But if it works properly I could see this being used quite frequently.

Beechos

I have one but I did not update it (samsung botched the latest firmware) so cant use this lol.

Tizen OS also sucks ass
Tizen os does suck ass i have the 85" qn90a and bought a roku for it because samsungs os is such trash. Only redeeming feature of the os is the picture in picture stuff. Whats wrong with the new update btw before i update it lol

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Tizen os does suck ass i have the 85" qn90a and bought a roku for it because samsungs os is such trash. Only redeeming feature of the os is the picture in picture stuff. Whats wrong with the new update btw before i update it lol
Update 1420 ruined hdr gaming mode, it has flickering issues and made it dimmer. But my model is the S95B so your mileage may vary. They push these updates across multiple devices so who even knows at this point.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought a Samsung Frame TV for the living room a couple of months ago. Last month they started blasting Game Pass app ads at the media dashboard. I figured if I plug in an Xbox they might see that I don't need these ads, so I plugged it in, the TV saw it was an Xbox, configured it and turned on 120 hz compatibility.

Still being served Game Pass app ads

Lunarorbit

I hate in TV apps. I bought a LG last year and was seeing ads way too often.

I don't need to see ads when I start a TV on its homepage. It's insulting and super intrusive.

But.... that's pretty cool for Xbox players. Just not for me

spons

Gold Member
Put this shit on Google TV already. You can sideload the app on a Chromecast but it barely works.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
20211219_110900.jpg

DaGwaphics

people still buy samsung tvs?

hope MS bring GP to LG TVs or hurry and release that plug in dongle stick thing.

Agreed, that they need to bring this to lower cost devices.

They need to get this on the low-end smart TVs. Although a deal to get this supported on Roku would probably be the most effective, that would give them the Roku TVs as well.

The allure of streaming is the low upfront costs, it will sell best to cheapskates, so, cheap TVs, potato laptops and PCs, etc.

MadPanda

Banned
Yes they are. US is not the center of the world.
I'm not in the USA and they're not expensive. You can buy 7k series for approximately 350-400 USD in my country which is as low as it gets. Only cheaper tvs are those Chinese trash tvs like Telefunken, Tesla etc.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm able to dissuade customers from buying Samsung by simply attempting to use Tizen in front of them. Even though I know it pretty well some stupid ass thing happens every time I pick up the remote and show them it, I try my best to not make it look shite and every time I fail.

What kind of incoherent one sided babble is this? I have every kind of smart TV device from Google tv, roku, firetv, tizen, etc, and I can tell you they all have thier strengths and weaknesses. Tizen is fine as is ios vs andriod, or burger King vs mcdonalds. To pretend otherwise is misleading. Maybe you need more training with a remote if you can't operate tizen.

Also why would you dissuade someone from buying something due to its built in apps when it can be fixed with a $50 stick or they will be 98% of the time hooking in a console with its own apps anyhow.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I'm not in the USA and they're not expensive. You can buy 7k series for approximately 350-400 USD in my country which is as low as it gets. Only cheaper tvs are those Chinese trash tvs like Telefunken, Tesla etc.
Telefunken is a German brand and my Grandfather really likes it :D

Kuranghi

Update 1420 ruined hdr gaming mode, it has flickering issues and made it dimmer. But my model is the S95B so your mileage may vary. They push these updates across multiple devices so who even knows at this point.

Update 1403 ruined QN95B HDR according to "GamingTech" on youtube, they are rather incompetent yes. Sony might take ages to fix/add something but at least they don't push these janky updates*. LG is bad for it too, just breaking stuff on current/older models for no reason and sometimes never fixing on the older ones.

*Tbf Sony do fuck things up as well after you've waited for a while, the difference is they tend me just visual bugs and non-critical problems. Like Android OS having a corrupted startup screen when you restart or cold boot for ages, it looks terrible but really it affects nothing.

Kuranghi

What kind of incoherent one sided babble is this? I have every kind of smart TV device from Google tv, roku, firetv, tizen, etc, and I can tell you they all have thier strengths and weaknesses. Tizen is fine as is ios vs andriod, or burger King vs mcdonalds. To pretend otherwise is misleading. Maybe you need more training with a remote if you can't operate tizen.

Also why would you dissuade someone from buying something due to its built in apps when it can be fixed with a $50 stick or they will be 98% of the time hooking in a console with its own apps anyhow.

I didn't make it clear apologies, but the perspective I'm coming is as a TV demonstrator, I sell TVs mostly to middle aged couples who consider having to press a few buttons on the remote as "complicated". My own brand's TVs are setup well in the shop but all the Samsungs are in a basic state, sometimes not even initally setup after being powered on for the first time, if you set it up then you won't have many of the issues below but the issue is most of my customers would be put off even by that setup process. They want it to be as simple as possible and Android OS/Google TV or my own brand is the gold standard here, its super simple and even technophobes have no issues with it ime.

On Tizen:

I agree there are strengths and weaknesses with all of course, Tizen has the most/best features (outside of gaming, LG wins there) I'd say, with WebOS or Google TV/Android OS coming second. The problem is how complex it is for average punters, Samsung use their own names for things: like inputs is called connected devices and you need to go through several button presses to reach it with the smart remote (the standard Sammy remote you can press input of course, but people want to use the little svelt smart remote because they like how it looks) and over time people get annoyed with that.

It also asks you to login to your Samsung account during setup and then again when you try to download apps, so if you don't set it up properly you end up in this endless loop of it asking to login and I geuinely thought you had to login to even download apps for the longest time. Sometimes you do need to login and sometimes I can just connect to the network and download away, I don't know what governs when you need to be logged in and not, LG is the same. It has adverts everywhere and a freaking NFT store you can't disable, thats just bad compared to other brands interfaces imo and most reviewers agree with me.

The last part is irrelevant to 99% of my customers, they want it built in to the TV, I tell everyone its better to get a stick/device and forget about the internal smart features but they don't want that, they want it built in. 99% aren't gamers so won't be using a console for apps.

If I, TV demonstrator with many years of experience + 30 years experience of being into technology, can't intuit how to find apps, inputs and settings menus on a TV smart interface in real time then its a fail imo. I have no such problem with any other brands interfaces, I use them for the first time and I find what I want within 10-15 seconds. This isn't just my experience of it, customers tell me every day how they don't like the new Tizen (since it moved on from the pop up "blades" at the bottom style), I'm not trying to make it look bad, I'm an honest salesman and I try to show the competitor products in as good a light as possible but with Samsung I often make it look bad/confusing without trying to.

Sleepwalker

Update 1403 ruined QN95B HDR according to "GamingTech" on youtube, they are rather incompetent yes. Sony might take ages to fix/add something but at least they don't push these janky updates*. LG is bad for it too, just breaking stuff on current/older models for no reason and sometimes never fixing on the older ones.

*Tbf Sony do fuck things up as well after you've waited for a while, the difference is they tend me just visual bugs and non-critical problems. Like Android OS having a corrupted startup screen when you restart or cold boot for ages, it looks terrible but really it affects nothing.
You're correct, it was update 1403 on the S95B as well. They just pushed 1420 and whilte better, issues still not being fixed. I'm on 1310 and with the TV offline.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I didn't make it clear apologies, but the perspective I'm coming is as a TV demonstrator, I sell TVs mostly to middle aged couples who consider having to press a few buttons on the remote as "complicated". My own brand's TVs are setup well in the shop but all the Samsungs are in a basic state, sometimes not even initally setup after being powered on for the first time, if you set it up then you won't have many of the issues below but the issue is most of my customers would be put off even by that setup process. They want it to be as simple as possible and Android OS/Google TV or my own brand is the gold standard here, its super simple and even technophobes have no issues with it ime.

On Tizen:

I agree there are strengths and weaknesses with all of course, Tizen has the most/best features (outside of gaming, LG wins there) I'd say, with WebOS or Google TV/Android OS coming second. The problem is how complex it is for average punters, Samsung use their own names for things: like inputs is called connected devices and you need to go through several button presses to reach it with the smart remote (the standard Sammy remote you can press input of course, but people want to use the little svelt smart remote because they like how it looks) and over time people get annoyed with that.

It also asks you to login to your Samsung account during setup and then again when you try to download apps, so if you don't set it up properly you end up in this endless loop of it asking to login and I geuinely thought you had to login to even download apps for the longest time. Sometimes you do need to login and sometimes I can just connect to the network and download away, I don't know what governs when you need to be logged in and not, LG is the same. It has adverts everywhere and a freaking NFT store you can't disable, thats just bad compared to other brands interfaces imo and most reviewers agree with me.

The last part is irrelevant to 99% of my customers, they want it built in to the TV, I tell everyone its better to get a stick/device and forget about the internal smart features but they don't want that, they want it built in. 99% aren't gamers so won't be using a console for apps.

If I, TV demonstrator with many years of experience + 30 years experience of being into technology, can't intuit how to find apps, inputs and settings menus on a TV smart interface in real time then its a fail imo. I have no such problem with any other brands interfaces, I use them for the first time and I find what I want within 10-15 seconds. This isn't just my experience of it, customers tell me every day how they don't like the new Tizen (since it moved on from the pop up "blades" at the bottom style), I'm not trying to make it look bad, I'm an honest salesman and I try to show the competitor products in as good a light as possible but with Samsung I often make it look bad/confusing without trying to.

Ahhh, I understand better now, thank you.

xCloud needs better IQ and latency. Using Stadia on my pc with an Ethernet connection was a dream. Looked good and input latency was at its worst easy to live with and at its best not noticeable. But Google was using better tech than what MS is using. If they want to succeed that needs to be their baseline. And I suspect they will succeed where Google failed if for no other reason than having a better business model.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
More choice, more options. Good guy Phil.....

...no games for 2022...bad guy Phil

You got one last chance for 2023...

Top Bottom