• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox app on Pc still sucks

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I tried to install Flight Simulator and I couldn't past the "checking for updates" section. Then I restarted my PC while trying to solve it, app just erased all my downloads waiting on the queue. Fck this shit man, it is worst than before. I'm tired from this. How can you make an app that works like shit on your own OS? Is this what one of the best software companies in the world can do?

Download queue just reappeared while I'm writing this, but nevertheless... I'm going back to Flight Simulator X on Steam.

danny glover too old for this shit GIF

Update: It's working now, after deleting flight simulator folder from app data an reinstalling it for the third time, thanks to my hacking skills.

Oh, and I saw a similar thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox-pc-app-sucks.1639278/ Strangest merge of threads could happen any time lol.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh its junk as I was getting a lot of errors until I also downloaded the Xbox Console Companion app

I don't know why this fixed my issues on the Xbox app for PC but it did

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I did all the updates microsoft store suggested, and that was included. These problems usually happens with Xbox studio games. I couldn't play Gears 5 and Forza M 7 back then. Now I can't play Flight Simulator, the game I wanted to play most on Gamepass right now.

You would think a company that's PC centric would not have issues with connecting their eco-system across 2 of their main platforms but sadly that's not the case. Idk what it is but MS is like cursed when it comes too cross-platform apps.. they had massive problems with Games for Windows on Windows Vista and they're having issues here too. it's pathetic.

Corndog

Banned
You would think a company that's PC centric would not have issues with connecting their eco-system across 2 of their main platforms but sadly that's not the case. Idk what it is but MS is like cursed when it comes too cross-platform apps.. they had massive problems with Games for Windows on Windows Vista and they're having issues here too. it's pathetic.
Ya. They need to put more work into it that’s for sure.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It is running smoothly on my gaming laptop. Maybe something to do with your drivers/updates/ which version of windows are you using?
Windows 11, drivers up to date. It's working now, after deleting flight simulator folder from app data an reinstalling it for the third time(waited at least 15 minutes to past that "checking for updates" screen, each time). It's probably something to do with that 1gb sized installer thing.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It doesn't have anything to do with the Xbox app, you're already exclusively inside the MSFS exe / installer at this point - Unless I misunderstand something. Thus Steam doesn't help, it only serves you the same MSFS installation file. At least it did back when I installed it. Anyway, if someone else have similar issues: the installer heavily depends on your internet connection, so it may help to reset your connection if it goes nowhere.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Where you connected to a vpn ? The only proble I have with store is the speed steam does 110meg sec easy but I'm lucky to get 20meg sec on xbox app

CashPrizes

I can't get Midnight fight Express to launch, supposedly it is because my gamer tag picture is non-compatible. But it's my original picture (bad guy from Metal Slug who looks like Saddam Hussein) and I don't want to change it because I'm afraid if I change it I won't be able to get it back.

So that is really dumb problem to have.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It doesn't have anything to do with the Xbox app, you're already exclusively inside the MSFS exe / installer at this point - Unless I misunderstand something. Thus Steam doesn't help, it only serves you the same MSFS installation file. At least it did back when I installed it. Anyway, if someone else have similar issues: the installer heavily depends on your internet connection, so it may help to reset your connection if it goes nowhere.
I solved it after I deleted Appdata MFS folder and gave mfs.exe admin rights. It creates that Mfs folder under windowsapps folder and system shows it as a windows app. So I think it's related to that microsoft drm system. I have 35mbit internet and waited 30 minutes or so at my first two tries. Third one which I made changes before, went smoothly, compared to those two, took only 5-10 minutes to pass that screen.

I don't use Vpn btw.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
After what happened to me on Windows 11, I'm buying Apple for the rest of my life. I'm a youtuber so of course I make videos, did the photos app video editor and even did clip champ video editor. Both froze on me while waiting for the 1080p MP4 file to finish over 30 times! Windows is crap! Not interested in flight simulator but if I was I'd for sure get it for Xbox Series X. Consoles for life.

T-Cake

I couldn't tolerate the Windows Xbox app so I just bought the console! Now I keep my PC free of Game Pass clutter. If I really like something I've discovered on Game Pass, then I'll buy it in a Steam sale. There are very few titles that are PC Game Pass only so I am not too bothered about missing out on some things.

However, I will say it's gotten a whole lot better this year. I do test it occasionally and it copes with 30GB downloads fine. But I wouldn't like to attempt something at 100GB or more.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
After what happened to me on Windows 11, I'm buying Apple for the rest of my life. I'm a youtuber so of course I make videos, did the photos app video editor and even did clip champ video editor. Both froze on me while waiting for the 1080p MP4 file to finish over 30 times! Windows is crap! Not interested in flight simulator but if I was I'd for sure get it for Xbox Series X. Consoles for life.
"Consoles for life"..? jesus, that a bit cringe. But anyway, you can continue to "blame" the OS for app freezes if that's what you feel like, but it's not necessarily accurate. As a console owner and former Apple fanboi, and developer, I kinda have bad news for you: Bugs and glitches, app crashes are happening on all platforms, Apple devices, and any console, including Linux based OS' not exempt.

David B

An Idiot
"Consoles for life"..? jesus, that a bit cringe. But anyway, you can continue to "blame" the OS for app freezes if that's what you feel like, but it's not necessarily accurate. As a console owner and former Apple fanboi, and developer, I kinda have bad news for you: Bugs and glitches, app crashes are happening on all platforms, Apple devices, and any console, including Linux based OS' not exempt.
Yeah yeah I've had issues with Apple in the past when they were on Intel, freezing rainbow ball, the freezing blue ball in windows 98 and XP and Vista and 2000 and even ME and even freezes in Linux platforms like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. But this isn't based on the past, this is based on the current time frame of the last 2 years.

GHG

Gold Member
It's junk. Still have gears tactics taking up space on my PC despite attempting to uninstall it a dozen times. Will have to go the manual nuclear route to get rid of the files at some point but right now I simply can't be arsed.

If they want PC gamers to get on board with gamepass in a big way then they need to do what EA did and sort something out with valve to get the subscription service on Steam.

David B

An Idiot
It's junk. Still have gears tactics taking up space on my PC despite attempting to uninstall it a dozen times. Will have to go the manual nuclear route to get rid of the files at some point but right now I simply can't be arsed.

If they want PC gamers to get on board with gamepass in a big way then they need to do what EA did and sort something out with valve to get the subscription service on Steam.
Look in main hard drive usually C of course. Look in the x86 and x64 folders and search for gears tactics or just plain gear or gears and than delete them. Sometimes windows won't let you delete files in these folders though, so you may need to use something else like a anti-virus software like bitdefender to delete those depositories files. Just another reason why I like Apple more. When you delete files you delete the entire file folder and everything within it the way that Apple UNIX is. It's easy and it works. In fact only HP and a few other companies use a UNIX system for business purposes and they do it for a purpose, so they don't get hacked by windows users. Linux is safe but still can be easily hackable as well as windows though.

Xbox ui Is passable at best, forget about about pc version. Ms was never really good at making a good ui. Remember windows mobile and windows 8 lol

GHG

Gold Member
Look in main hard drive usually C of course. Look in the x86 and x64 folders and search for gears tactics or just plain gear or gears and than delete them. Sometimes windows won't let you delete files in these folders though, so you may need to use something else like a anti-virus software like bitdefender to delete those depositories files. Just another reason why I like Apple more. When you delete files you delete the entire file folder and everything within it the way that Apple UNIX is. It's easy and it works. In fact only HP and a few other companies use a UNIX system for business purposes and they do it for a purpose, so they don't get hacked by windows users. Linux is safe but still can be easily hackable as well as windows though.

I know exactly where the folder is but it won't delete even despite me giving it every permission under the sun.

Will need to use a 3rd party program to remove it but I'm reluctant to do so for now because I also use my PC for work. I'll sort it at some point but it will likely coincide with the purchase of new PC components.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I know exactly where the folder is but it won't delete even despite me giving it every permission under the sun.

Will need to use a 3rd party program to remove it but I'm reluctant to do so for now because I also use my PC for work. I'll sort it at some point but it will likely coincide with the purchase of new PC components.

Can you not quickly create a Linux USB stick and boot from that to delete said folder?

David B

An Idiot
Can you not quickly create a Linux USB stick and boot from that to delete said folder?
I just found this online, hope it helps GHG You can also access your Windows shared folder from the Linux command line using the smbclient program. Open a terminal. Type smbclient at the command prompt. If you receive a "Usage:" message, smbclient is installed, and you can skip to the next step

GHG

Gold Member

Should be able to, I have a few bootable manjaro usb's lying around somewhere.

But again, I shouldn't have to do all that just to delete some game files from my PC. The onus is on Microsoft to fix something like that and make sure it doesn't happen. So I'm not giving it any time until a point where I'm going to be faffing about with my PC anyway.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

These are fragments of their DRM. It prevented me from booting my computer a few years ago when replacing a non-OS drive (!).. Spent two full days trying to figure it out.. It was bad. But this is no longer a general issue for new game releases. Games installed from the Xbox app are installing to visible folders on the drive of your choosing. You now can move games between drives on the fly from the app, including uninstalling them (no longer forced to delete them through windows settings). It was also in their plan that it should be possible to mod Xbox game installs, but i don't know if that's implemented yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom