• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer asks fans not to "weaponise" games for "battles between platforms"

kingfey

Banned

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has asked that fans respect creators, and to celebrate the upcoming releases regardless of platform.

Spencer was recently awarded a Lifetime Achievement award at DICE 2022. Following his acceptance speech (in which he called out the toxic environments in the gaming industry), Spencer chatted to IGN about his greatest accomplishment, his hopes for the next decade and the social connections that gaming brings to so many.

When asked if he had a message for fans, Spencer was keen to voice his wish players respected creators, rather than use games as ammunition in a console war. "I think it's very often that creations can be kind of weaponised and used in battles between platforms and other things," Spencer said.

"I look at everybody who is brave enough to create something, put it out... have their peers, the industry, players, play and analyse and talk about what they do," Spencer continued.

"Let's just celebrate the fact that so many great games are coming out from so many creators and realise that's such a foundation for where this industry is going to go".

During his acceptance speech, Spencer reiterated his desire to see improvements within the gaming industry, specifically when it comes to workplace toxicity: "We have a responsibility to everyone in this business. We have a responsibility to society. And we have a responsibility to ourselves".

"Our responsibility is simple: do everything possible to ensure that this entire industry is about treating every single person with dignity and respect".

These words echo those of EA exec Laura Miele.

Also speaking at DICE, Miele addressed the state the industry is in, acknowledging the "rough headlines" out there.

"We have to have fair and safe work environments, at the very least. This is just basic table stakes", Miele said.

Banjo64

cumsessed
"Our responsibility is simple: do everything possible to ensure that this entire industry is about treating every single person with dignity and respect".

I don’t care if you stick your devs in a cage like a monkey at the zoo, just get the next TES game out stat.

Swift_Star

Banned
world of warcraft legion GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When he put the Crash X on his twitter profile, he knew what he was doing.

he was weaponizing games for console wars.

He's been doing it for years, look at his post history.

If you deny it you're full of shit tbh.

What ?

PS's twitter has an Elden Ring banner, Shu today retweeted the GT7 loading comparison video.

Are those also weaponizing by your logic ?

What nonsense lol

Last edited:

splattered

Doesn't his own employee, Greenberg or whatever do that.

Kinda hypocritical

The good cop, bad cop, routine.

lol the hypocrisy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was just about to to say...

Uhhh no? Greenberg celebrates Xbox but he doesn't say FUCK PLAYSTATION. There is a difference between being a cheerleader for a brand and being a "soldier" against a competitor.

splattered

When he put the Crash X on his twitter profile, he knew what he was doing.

he was weaponizing games for console wars.

He's been doing it for years, look at his post history.

If you deny it you're full of shit tbh.

Grasping at straws much? So Xbox employees aren't allowed to be excited that they are acquiring Activision and it's IPs? Sorry, you are writing your own narritive on that one imo.

tmlDan

Right, because we're all at war with each other and games are our ammunition.

Would it have been more appropriate for Greenberg to write an official apology to Playstation and Nintendo fans that Microsoft would be acquiring Activision? Get over yourself dude(ette)
Are you okay? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

it's fact that Greenberg does it, he is less vocal than he used to be but he still does it - the level of immaturity he has compared to the rest of the leadership team, on both sides, is astounding.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Oh Kumbaya, the console war will never stop. And its all in good fun. Stop being such bitches :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Uhhh no? Greenberg celebrates Xbox but he doesn't say FUCK PLAYSTATION. There is a difference between being a cheerleader for a brand and being a "soldier" against a competitor.
You can't actually believe this. You've seen Greenberg;s tweets, comments etc. over the years? You saw his recent twitter avatar as well I assume? That really was a direct screw you at PlayStation. I don't care, but MS should be embarrassed at his conduct.

Are you okay? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

it's fact that Greenberg does it, he is less vocal than he used to be but he still does it - the level of immaturity he has compared to the rest of the leadership team, on both sides, is astounding.
He didn't weaponize a game. They own Crash Bandicoot now, and he posted him being excited about it. That's just reality. Talk about hypersensitive, to see so much whining about a twitter pic still.

Last edited:

tmlDan

He didn't weaponize a game. They own Crash Bandicoot now, and he posted him being excited about it. That's just reality. Talk about hypersensitive, to see so much whining about a twitter pic still.
I mean, I'm not whining - I could care less.

It's just obvious when creating that image what it would cause.

He's not an idiot, he did it on purpose.

There's a difference between caring about it and actually seeing what he does and intentions behind it.

adamsapple

And Sony never has owned Crash Bandicoot at any point in history.

Do the people in this thread even know that?

I think it's a safe bet the first few posters wrote their zany one liners because saw Phil Spencer's name in the subject.

Sorry Phil, asking for decorum from folks on the internet isn't gonna be as easy as you think.

Look at this monster posting about an IP they own now.

What a weaponizing piece of shit ..

Just like this guy ....

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I mean, I'm not whining - I could care less.

It's just obvious when creating that image what it would cause.

He's not an idiot, he did it on purpose.

There's a difference between caring about it and actually seeing what he does and intentions behind it.
I guess. I just mean, it's acting like they're not allowed to market anything.

They own Crash now, and so he posts Crash and an Xbox reference. That's literally it lol. It's not anti-Sony. It's not anything but just a literal association between Crash and Xbox. Literally just basic marketing.

Dr Bass

He's a marketer and you're talking about the small piece of marketing he did over a month ago. That's a success.
I know there is the old adage no press is bad press, or something along those lines, but I don't agree. Marketing should make a product seem desirable. All he does is make his brand look stupid.

That's success to you?

This board is hilarious by the way. Sony fans bash Jim Ryan constantly. Xbox fans defend their execs to the death. Nintendo fans don't seem to give a crap. It's such a weird dynamic. I honestly can't believe anyone defends Aaron Greenberg of all people.
And Sony never has owned Crash Bandicoot at any point in history.

Do the people in this thread even know that?

Crash Bandicoot is about as iconic as you can get for the PS1. So much so, it was included as a playable section in Uncharted 4, which I'm sure you're aware of (yes I know it was a naughty dog game, and that's another reason to include it but the PS1 is in the game as well). He was considered the mascot that could go up against Mario after Mario 64 was released and there were three games released for the platform. It doesn't matter that Sony didn't own it, he was a symbol. Greenberg specifically chose that character out of that entire portfolio that Activision had and added him with the X arm goofiness on his twitter logo. He knew exactly what he was doing, and what it meant. I think denying that is being fairly obtuse.

tmlDan

I guess. I just mean, it's acting like they're not allowed to market anything.

They own Crash now, and so he posts Crash and an Xbox reference. That's literally it lol. It's not anti-Sony. It's not anything but just a literal association between Crash and Xbox. Literally just basic marketing.
I'm sure you've seen the hardcore xbox trolls all change their twitter images to his image so nothing is surprising. It fueled the war and he's an exec.

You would never see another xbox exec or sony exec do that.

Dr Bass

I'm sure you've seen the hardcore xbox trolls all change their twitter images to his image so nothing is surprising. It fueled the war and he's an exec.

Yep, exactly. If it wasn't an "eff you" to a platform, the Xbox faithful (including a few posters here that I consider the core Xbox troll group for lack of a better phrase) wouldn't have switched a bunch of their avatars to that picture, or versions of that picture. It absolutely had a meaning.

Disagree. Lots of people on here and throughout the internet can be immature. But the Xbox guys are all promoting successfully right now. Very successfully. We know their names and talk about it. Reminds me of Sony during the PS4 days.

It is literally a picture of an IP they own, and a reference to Xbox. Explain to me in a full sentence how that is out of bounds. That's being so hypersensitive that you're saying Xbox can't even market their own games because it hurts people's feelings lol.

Crash Bandicoot is about as iconic as you can get for the PS1. So much so, it was included as a playable section in Uncharted 4, which I'm sure you're aware of (yes I know it was a naughty dog game, and that's another reason to include it but the PS1 is in the game as well). He was considered the mascot that could go up against Mario after Mario 64 was released and there were three games released for the platform. It doesn't matter that Sony didn't own it, he was a symbol. Greenberg specifically chose that character out of that entire portfolio that Activision had and added him with the X arm goofiness on his twitter logo. He knew exactly what he was doing, and what it meant. I think denying that is being fairly obtuse.
And Nintendo gamers don't lose their minds if Xbox gamers are playing Perfect Dark.

Sony doesn't own Crash. End of story. Period. Exclamation mark. Underline it. Bold it. It's a third party game. Almost everything iconic about PS1 was third party, like FFVII and MGS1, and Castlevania. Sony had barely anything first party that wasn't awful at that point.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I know there is the old adage no press is bad press, or something along those lines, but I don't agree. Marketing should make a product seem desirable. All he does is make his brand look stupid.

That's success to you?

If we're still talking about one Tweet over a month later, yes, it's pretty damn successful marketing considering the cost was zero. You personally not liking it doesn't make a difference as long as you talk about it with other people and spread the news.

Same shit happened with that awful Coke advert recently, all anyone was talking about was Coke for a few days and I bet it made people pretty thirsty.

adamsapple

Boy, the sense of entitlement sure is real.

Top Bottom