• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer asks fans not to "weaponise" games for "battles between platforms"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
John Candy Reaction GIF

Unknown?

I guess. I just mean, it's acting like they're not allowed to market anything.

They own Crash now, and so he posts Crash and an Xbox reference. That's literally it lol. It's not anti-Sony. It's not anything but just a literal association between Crash and Xbox. Literally just basic marketing.
You are either young or have a bad memory. Greenberg hasn't changed any, the only reason he's more quiet is the same reason Microsoft doesn't release numbers anymore but you can bet your bottom dollar he will GLOAT as soon as he gets the chance.

You know how this works. There's no such thing as flaming and blatant hypocrisy from our favorite platform. Only rabid fanboys of a different console who have some sort of personal grudge for remembering things. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Sony gamers last gen: "this is how you play your games on PS4."
Sony gamers this gen: how dare you market your games, have any exclusives, or tell us to be nice to developers!?

Talk about a coddled group used to only winning, without any tolerance for mild discomfort or success of others.

NickFire

This is why phil is the GOAT gaming exec. Casually says 2 sentences about how console fanboys need to chill. Has all the fanboys riled up. It’s effortless.
He is definitely a HOF gaming exec. But I wouldn't attribute that to getting people laughing at hypocrisy. I'm more inclined to base that award on the masterpiece theatre for how to convince your customers that they shouldn't care about a couple major exclusives someone else is playing right now and this Friday.

Sony gamers last gen: "this is how you play your games on PS4."
Sony gamers this gen: how dare you market your games, have any exclusives, or tell us to be nice to developers!?

Talk about a coddled group used to only winning, without any tolerance for mild discomfort or success of others.
Did all that come out in one push, or were there multiple plops?

Chukhopops

He is definitely a HOF gaming exec. But I wouldn't attribute that to getting people laughing at hypocrisy. I'm more inclined to base that award on the masterpiece theatre for how to convince your customers that they shouldn't care about a couple major exclusives someone else is playing right now and this Friday.

Did all that come out in one push, or were there multiple plops?
Imagine bringing out console wars posts in a thread specifically calling out console warriors. Imagine how much self-awareness you’d need to lack.

Uhhh no? Greenberg celebrates Xbox but he doesn't say FUCK PLAYSTATION. There is a difference between being a cheerleader for a brand and being a "soldier" against a competitor.

Engaging in typical stan twitter, retweeting some guy's tweets taking jabs at Sony:

etc...

I'm sure i could find more lol. There's also a lot of articles that not only compliment MS but also need to drag Sony for no reason like this one:

If you like this vibe then good for you. But it's quite clear what kind of crowd feeds from this energy. But please defend him anyway.

Dr Bass

Disagree. Lots of people on here and throughout the internet can be immature. But the Xbox guys are all promoting successfully right now. Very successfully. We know their names and talk about it. Reminds me of Sony during the PS4 days.

It is literally a picture of an IP they own, and a reference to Xbox. Explain to me in a full sentence how that is out of bounds. That's being so hypersensitive that you're saying Xbox can't even market their own games because it hurts people's feelings lol.

And Nintendo gamers don't lose their minds if Xbox gamers are playing Perfect Dark.

Sony doesn't own Crash. End of story. Period. Exclamation mark. Underline it. Bold it. It's a third party game. Almost everything iconic about PS1 was third party, like FFVII and MGS1, and Castlevania. Sony had barely anything first party that wasn't awful at that point.
Well I don't think Perfect Dark was ever very good, and it never represented Nintendo or the N64, so that never felt like a loss ... :messenger_tongue:

Again, I just don't think it matters that Sony didn't "own" Crash. He was iconic for PlayStation, period. And that's the point. Let's use your example and make it more relevant. Let's say Xbox got exclusive access to Goldeneye instead, an actually iconic N64 game. And MS made a big deal out of it, while Switch didn't get it. You don't think that would make Nintendo gamers upset? Remember, Nintendo never owned James Bond! But you can't deny that Goldeneye isn't iconic to Nintendo. It's the same with Crash. If there wasn't something to the idea of making PS gamers upset then there wouldn't be news articles all over the internet about it when he did that. You're denying the reactions of all those people as not real or ... ? Now on one hand, I agree. PS gamers should get over it. If Crash became full exclusive, go get an Xbox. I say the same thing about games anywhere they are. Play everywhere like I do, that's what makes someone like games, instead of platforms. I'm simply saying Greenberg knew exactly what he was doing.

Also ... another argument towards what I'm saying. Who cares about acquiring Crash these days? That's the point about him, the most notable thing about him was his relevance during early PS days. Crash 4 just wasn't a big deal. That's what Xbox was "excited" to acquire? Just not seeing it personally. :)

If we're still talking about one Tweet over a month later, yes, it's pretty damn successful marketing considering the cost was zero. You personally not liking it doesn't make a difference as long as you talk about it with other people and spread the news.

Same shit happened with that awful Coke advert recently, all anyone was talking about was Coke for a few days and I bet it made people pretty thirsty.

It's not that I don't like it. I don't care about Crash Bandicoot. At all. I never even thought the games were very good. Barely played part 1 when it released, and never touched the others. I think it's actually a pretty weak series when it comes to actual gameplay. I just think Greenberg comes across like a person who stopped maturing in middle school. I understand marketers can be pieces of crap. Phil Schiller comes to mind. But while Schiller also comes across as pretty smart, Greenberg is like the kind of person that acts like a jackass and then when you call him out on it, the response is "why are you so sensitive?" The tactic is old, and tiresome. He's just not good at what he does IMO. At all. I mean, is he the guy that oversaw the "power your dreams" campaign? My "dreams" have nothing to do with video games, and it's an embarrassing idea at it's core ("Greatness awaits" isn't much better IMO).

Boy, the sense of entitlement sure is real.
You're a weirdo. That is not a response or an argument, it's just acting stupid. I'm not a PS gamer, I play everywhere. Please feel free to add me on your friends list on Xbox Live, I am Dr Bass everywhere. You'll see I was just playing Halo Infinite yesterday.

And to finish off with a general statement aimed at nobody in particular, and to also finish with this thread because it's really not that important ...

All I said was "Good cop, bad cop" and it seems to have set a bunch of people off which I don't get. How can anyone deny this is the dynamic at play at the top of Xbox? Or I guess you could call Phil two-faced. He says one thing and does another. I don't see how can you be a fan of Xbox and deny this if you're not following them with some kind of cult like reverence. I'm a big fan of Apple but think their current leadership team is the pits, and for good, demonstrable, reasons. But I'm a fan of the products, for the most part. It's entirely normal to evaluate things on an individual basis. Just because you like Xbox doesn't mean you need to defend anything, everything, and everyone, associated with Xbox. That's called being in a cult.

Last edited:

yurinka

Even if he wasn't, his narrative is as disingenuous was Tim Sweeney fighting for the GAMERZ on Apple devices.
Yes, it's the same.

In that case Epic and MS don't want to pay Apple or Google their 30% cut for publishing mobile games on their platforms. And if it ever works, they will ask the same for PS and Nintendo. Meanwhile same happens in Xbox and (with a smaller % because it's a small store with a very small market share) the Epic Store.

If he doesn't want to weaponise games how about if he says clearly (even if IMO they already did) "hey, even if we bought ABK and Zenimax all potential future new CoD, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout and so on will continue being released as full multiplatform games, even if a few of them may have a timed Xbox console exclusive."

Last edited:

AetherZX

He didn't weaponize a game. They own Crash Bandicoot now, and he posted him being excited about it. That's just reality. Talk about hypersensitive, to see so much whining about a twitter pic still.

Replying to the same dude whining about my username (which was made 7 years ago here) in a Pokemon thread. I called him a fuckin' weirdo in there and he's still observably one now.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
If Sony's Twitter had a banner that says "Welcome Bungie, the developer of the original Halo games" how do you think the reaction would go?

They own them so they can do whatever they want when it comes to PR, but I can't see why they'd want to promote Halo, since Infinite already has so much positivity and won so many more GotY awards than any Sony first party this year. :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But nobody in here ever said Sony has never done stuff like this.
Someone said that specific guy didn't do that...when he does.

That's not comparable with what you're doing here.

And this topic is about Phil Spencer asking fans not to be dicks towards studios, yet y'all are posting old Aaron Greenberg tweets.

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Last edited:

NickFire

But nobody in here ever said Sony has never done stuff like this.
Someone said that specific guy didn't do that...when he does.

That's not comparable with what you're doing here.
Look at his first post in this thread.

where ?

The responses in this very topic are a prime example lol.
The "prime examples" were people calling out the hypocrisy of making 3rd party games exclusive and then asking people to stop weaponizing games. So no, you shouldn't expect anything close to a solid comparison. He came into this thread to derail the laughter at the hypocrisy and for no other reason.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony never tried to claim they were uniting all gamers and the guy who did this isn't a part of SIE anymore, that's where your comparison fails.

Clearly they should have going by the responses of some of their 'fans' in this topic.

Is there another sex sting video out that I am not aware of?

Just Frank's hopes and dreams I guess.

DaGwaphics

I'm not really a believer in the idea that dissolving the platforms and having everything everywhere is necessarily good for gamers. The fanboy wars, if taken seriously, aren't good for anyone, but the little war that goes on between the platforms themselves, their competition for us as gamers is beneficial. It nets us games that are built for more than the bottom line alone, lower-cost and better performing hardware, etc. It is this very competition that creates first-party games like FH5 or HFW, etc. In a world where the bottom line is everything and everything is third-party, things likely start to look a lot more like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision. Not that they don't make great games, just that the drive to do more than just sell the game but sell the platform has traditionally elevated first-party releases.

As soon as fierce competition between rivals stops, the value proposition tanks almost immediately for us. Whether it is Intel phoning it in for almost a decade or AMD decreasing their price-to-performance as soon as they established a lead in the CPU space, or the current situation with GPUs where the vendors no longer compete for us and know they can just sell us whatever. Lack of competition equals stagnation and poorer value.

More on topic, the idea that Greenberg is console warring because he updates his profile pick to something a fan designed that happens to feature an iconic character that he will now be marketing (the guy is head of games marketing at MS after all) is hilarious. I guess some users thought that MS will never market Crash Bandicoot?

Last edited:
Look at his first post in this thread.

The "prime examples" were people calling out the hypocrisy of making 3rd party games exclusive and then asking people to stop weaponizing games. So no, you shouldn't expect anything close to a solid comparison. He came into this thread to derail the laughter at the hypocrisy and for no other reason.
So as I said before.

Off limits behavior:
- basic marketing
- having any exclusives.

Totally uncivilized.

Top Bottom